stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As humans we live in a 3 dimensional world. In quantum physics it is accepted that 11 dimensions is the maximum you can get up to. Would it make sense then, that if we have a God who observes us, he lives one level up in the 4th dimension, with the 4th dimension being time, which would make us nothing more than a sculpture to him. This would mean he can see the beginning and the end of time at any point. It would also mean are futures are determined, and that we don't have free will.

It also raises the question of whether God has a God above him...

This link nicely explains dimensions in case you are baffled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU1fixMAObI&feature=related

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess the OP likes sci-fi.

If God made mankind in His image, then I assume that God (also) lives in a 3-dimensional existence. If not that, then God lives in a zero-dimensional existence.

About the OP's thinking God lives in Time ... I believe that God lives in a time-LESS existence.

Upvote 0

igotbegot

Jul 31, 2007
✟8,126.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I guess the OP likes sci-fi.

If God made mankind in His image, then I assume that God (also) lives in a 3-dimensional existence. If not that, then God lives in a zero-dimensional existence.

About the OP's thinking God lives in Time ... I believe that God lives in a time-LESS existence.
And if god made us in his physical image then he has a penis, testicles, and nipples, just as we do. And that makes no sense as I really doubt he reproduces as we do, and I doubt he would have any more use for nipples than human males do.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
As humans we live in a 3 dimensional world. In quantum physics it is accepted that 11 dimensions is the maximum you can get up to. Would it make sense then, that if we have a God who observes us, he lives one level up in the 4th dimension, with the 4th dimension being time, which would make us nothing more than a sculpture to him. This would mean he can see the beginning and the end of time at any point. It would also mean are futures are determined, and that we don't have free will.

This link nicely explains dimensions in case you are baffled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU1fixMAObI&feature=related
He created them all and lives in any or all He wishes. His knowledge about our future does not mean our future is determined without our choices being a part of that determination and we do have free will.

Upvote 0

Stainless

Jan 20, 2008
✟7,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

This link nicely explains dimensions in case you are baffled:
No offense, but your understanding of dimensions and that expressed in your clip are more superstition than astrology or voodoo.

In real Science, a dimension is no more than a direction of measurement and could relate to whatever is being measured, space, time, frequency, blondness,..

There are NO more than 3 spacial dimensions. The belief in them is pure fantasy and perversion from the originating concept of mathematical dimensions totally involving things that are directly measurable by us - no invisible other mystery dimensions.

Even in quantum physics every proposed dimension involves things directly measurable by us, not fantasy spacial directions. If something cannot be measured (sensed) in any way, it doesn't exist. That is what distinguishes the real from the fantasy. If you are going to imagine such things, why not imagine there are 10,000 dimensions. They would have no effect on things anyway, so why not imagine anything you like?

I might add that almost everything concerning quantum physics has been proven wrong by Science, the most recent of which is the "uncertainty principle".

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No offense, but your understanding of dimensions and that expressed in your clip are more superstition than astrology or voodoo.

Fair enough, point taken. I was just exploring the idea that if God exists, from what we know about him, he may exist in a 4th dimension. Admittedly my understanding isn't great.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Brentano, writing at the beginning of the twentieth century, came up with an excellent definition for the mind.

The definition of a body is something with is spatially extended.

A mind is not this. A mind, by definition, is something that exists but does not exist in spatial extension.

What is God? Pure Mind.

He doesn't exist in dimensions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Brentano, writing at the beginning of the twentieth century, came up with an excellent definition for the mind.

The definition of a body is something with is spatially extended.

A mind is not this. A mind, by definition, is something that exists but does not exist in spatial extension.

What is God? Pure Mind.

He doesn't exist in dimensions.

God must have some physical qualities, otherwise how could create the world? Unless the physical world is simply a fragment of our imaginations, and our physical selves only exist in our consciousness.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

God must have some physical qualities, otherwise how could create the world? Unless the physical world is simply a fragment of our imaginations, and our physical selves only exist in our consciousness.
You really think that God, if he exists, has physical qualities? For me, physicality and spatial extension is one of the defining things that God is not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DrStrangelove

Jan 21, 2008
✟15,532.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Well, it depends really on your faith, but should a god exist, it...

Well, it still depends on what time of god we're talking about. The Abrahamic "All-Powerful" mega-being? The Roman-Greecian "Interactive God"? Or, perhaps it's a Pagan God, similar to Odin & Thor of the Norse religion, in which the Gods are humans who have magical powers beyond our comprehension, but are still very kill-able.

Then there's also the option of the Lovecraftian "Unfathomable Horror", in which the 'God' isn't so much of a god, but a creature from another dimension or reality, in which it's powers over our dimension/reality are amazingly unfathomable. Take Cthulhu for instance, the Great Old One. Such a horrible beast that the very image would drive you to death or insanity, not to mention said creature can warp and distort both reality as we know it, and time itself. In effect, Cthulhu could "Un-make" you.

Anyone mind clarifying what sort of deity we're trying to speak of?

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Two words: Ex nihilo.

Yes, this is problematic. Logically i suppose something had to come from nothing. But to say God created the universe from nothing, doesn't get us very far, as who created God? I suspect even if mankind did somehow amazingly prove God's existance, we'd then ask what created God, and i think the question would go on till infinity. Therefore, even if we do have a God, it seems logical to me, that our God has a God, and that God would have a God and so on till infinity.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Yes, this is problematic. Logically i suppose something had to come from nothing. But to say God created the universe from nothing, doesn't get us very far, as who created God? I suspect even if mankind did somehow amazingly prove God's existance, we'd then ask what created God, and i think the question would go on till infinity. Therefore, even if we do have a God, it seems logical to me, that our God has a God, and that God would have a God and so on till infinity.
Not really, no.

The 'kalam' cosmological argument for the existence of God, as formulated by Islamic theorists during the Middle Ages, runs as such:

1. Premise. Everything that begins to exist has cause.
2. Premise. The universe began to exist.
3. Conclusion (from 1 and 2). The universe has a cause.

If we herein define the universe as all of spacetime, then whatever caused the universe in not within time.

And if the cause of the universe (and for the moment we'll define God as the creator of the universe) is outside time (oh, and per this thread, space), then we can't really talk about cause and effect, can we? There cannot be cause and effect without time.

So if God created time, then no, there is no logical necessity that God a cause.

Upvote 0

Stainless

Jan 20, 2008
✟7,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes, this is problematic. Logically i suppose something had to come from nothing.
Incorrect logic.

The universe has always been (logically it can never not exist) yet the Bible is accurate anyway. Learn how to read it and you see how both can be true.

Upvote 0