✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus also gave peter the name Satan.

Jesus did not give him that name, He called Peter that because Peter rebuked the OT scripture in which the Son of God will die and rise again.

This does not change the fact that Jesus literally changed Simon's name to rock (Kephas) which translates to Peter.

Reactions: Thursday
Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In acts 14 Paul and Barnabas strengthened the brethren. Paul also fed with milk and meat.

Jesus also gave peter the name Satan.

Look, God alone is the Rock, its clearly stated by God himself, and affirmed by Christ when he discerned between Gods spirit and that of Satan, in peter

You didn't answer a single question.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If the Roman Catholic Church with its headquarters in Rome claims to be the only church Jesus founded, how do you explain why they burned Wycliffe at the stake for translating the scriptures into English? How can you explain why they were selling pieces of paper allowing people to get their loved ones out of purgatory to fill their treasury? Why were thousands executed during the Spanish Inquisition? Why were Catholics involved in the slave trade in Spanish and Portuguese colonies?

Blah, Blah, Blah! I've heard all of these things before. Did you know that criminals in Spain during the Spanish Inquisition TRIED to get a Church trial? The conditions in the Inquisitions jails were a lot better.

What about all of the white Protestant slavers that went to church on Sunday, and the rest of the week pedaled slaves? Who sailed the ships out of Boston or Charleston? Protestants!

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus did not give him that name, He called Peter that because Peter rebuked the OT scripture in which the Son of God will die and rise again.

This does not change the fact that Jesus literally changed Simon's name to rock (Kephas) which translates to Peter.

God alone is the rock, he says so himself. The church is built on what Christ gave us, not what peter gave us. Peter can be your rock but I already have the only rock which is God, and god has said there is no other rock. Paul said that Christ alone is the foundation.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Blah, Blah, Blah! I've heard all of these things before. Did you know that criminals in Spain during the Spanish Inquisition TRIED to get a Church trial? The conditions in the Inquisitions jails were a lot better.

What about all of the white Protestant slavers that went to church on Sunday, and the rest of the week pedaled slaves? Who sailed the ships out of Boston or Charleston? Protestants!

England started the slave trade. I don't know what church he (the king)belonged to.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,408.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I'm unsubscribing. I don't see the point of this thread.
If it was to say "the Catholics are in the only true church; the rest of you are not and have weaker faith" - you're wrong.
If it was to say "the Catholic church is the only one founded/blessed by Jesus" - you're wrong.

But you're not going to change your views, and I'm not going to change mine, or leave my church.
So there's no point.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well I'm unsubscribing. I don't see the point of this thread.
If it was to say "the Catholics are in the only true church; the rest of you are not and have weaker faith" - you're wrong.
If it was to say "the Catholic church is the only one founded/blessed by Jesus" - you're wrong.

But you're not going to change your views, and I'm not going to change mine, or leave my church.
So there's no point.

Yup, to preach a certain denomination as the true church is infantile. Paul rebuked such carnality.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Catholicism is not a denomination. It's The Church. Protestants have denominations. It's a little weird but I've been corrected on that by Catholics and Protestants.
The church are people called out of the world to follow Christ. Catholicism came hundreds of years AD. Its a denomination of the original Church but not the original Church. You can fan the flames of discord all you want, with your divisive theology, but in the end it amount to infantile understanding of faith in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The church are people called out of the world to follow Christ. Catholicism came hundreds of years AD. Its a denomination of the original Church but not the original Church. You can fan the flames of discord all you want, with your divisive theology, but in the end it amount to infantile understanding of faith in Christ.

Not to be contradictory but wasn't the church in Rome founded by one of the actual 11 Disciples? I aware that it was not the only church founded by them they were all over, however the one Peter started in Rome became one of the most important locations due to it's location at such a transportation hub in the ancient world. Is it not the church Paul wrote his letters to that are contained within in the New Testament? Granted it did not have the structure that it grew to have later in those early days. It still has always been the church in Rome.

I am not trying to "fan the flames of discord" at all. Quite the opposite. I am trying to show that our faith, our universal church, all comes from the same roots. Like I've even seen you write here, Jesus started one church.

Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not to be contradictory but wasn't the church in Rome founded by one of the actual 11 Disciples? I aware that it was not the only church founded by them they were all over, however the one Peter started in Rome became one of the most important locations due to it's location at such a transportation hub in the ancient world. Is it not the church Paul wrote his letters to that are contained within in the New Testament? Granted it did not have the structure that it grew to have later in those early days. It still has always been the church in Rome.

I am not trying to "fan the flames of discord" at all. Quite the opposite. I am trying to show that our faith, our universal church, all comes from the same roots. Like I've even seen you write here, Jesus started one church.
The Church of Catholicism isn't the one recorded in Paul's letter to the Romans

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The Church of Catholicism isn't the one recorded in Paul's letter to the Romans
So there was a different Roman church? Was there a time period when there was no Roman church between Peter's time and the Catholic church's time? I was under the impression there was only one church started in Rome

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So there was a different Roman church? Was there a time period when there was no Roman church between Peter's time and the Catholic church's time? I was under the impression there was only one church started in Rome

No, the apostles didn't need icons for worship, or veneration of saints. Catholicism is a messy religion that will always cause division.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
No, the apostles didn't need icons for worship, or veneration of saints. Catholicism is a messy religion that will always cause division.
I will concede that the Catholic church as we know it developed over time. However it is an accepted fact that the origin of the Roman church can be traced back to St Peter.
From patheos.com I think it sums it up nicely

It traces its history to Jesus of Nazareth, an itinerant preacher in the area around Jerusalem during the period of Roman occupation, in the early 30s of the Common Era. Its members congregate in a communion of churches headed by bishops, whose role originated with the disciples of Jesus. Over a period of some decades after Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, the bishops spread out across the world to form a "universal" (Greek, katholikos) church, with the bishop of Rome (traced to the apostle Peter) holding primacy. Today Vatican City — and specifically, Saint Peter's Basilica — stands over the grave of Peter, and the pope is considered Peter's successor.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I will concede that the Catholic church as we know it developed over time. However it is an accepted fact that the origin of the Roman church can be traced back to St Peter.
--but not any moreso than all the other churches that descend from that church--which is most of them.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My brother just passed away and I felt like just sitting in church. Of course the only church open was a catholic church so I was grateful to go sit in there. Looking around it looked very much like a regular Christian setting. But then I started to realize all the nonbiblical beliefs that one HAS TO BELIEVE just to be accepted into that religion I got up and walked out.

Talking with other catholics on this forum has convinced me that most don't believe what they are forced to adhere to either. The Mary stuff. They just go along with it. Honestly I think that's the nail in the coffin for them. Mass suicide. Not being responsible for their own salvation.

They (the catholics) say that they began so must endure. But because of corruption the other churches began. And are enduring. To me the catholic church remains as a giant that has overstayed the flood of ungodliness. Pretty as the open church is it is cloaked in unbelief that ascribes Grace where it does not belong thereby leaving Jesus dead on the cross.

jmho

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,428.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Don't need them; true. However Icons have been found in the catacombs (yes above altars) and in mosaics and wall paintings in the ruins of first century houses of worship.

This image of Mary, the Mother of Jesus Christ, was painted by St. Luke. It was carried by St. Thomas the apostle to India about one thousand, nine hundred and fifty years ago. Today, Mary continues to be venerated through this painting. It is kept at the main altar in the Church of Mount St. Thomas in Madras, India, the place where St. Thomas was martyred

ladybyluke.jpg

The Holy, Royal and Stavropygiac Monastery of Kykko has been the holy Ark in which the miraculous icon of the Mother of God, which according to tradition was painted by St. Luke himself, has been preserved.

3.jpg

There are more examples and discussion here: http://pazhayathu.blogspot.ca/2010/10/paintings-by-apostle-luke-rare-portrait.html

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't need them; true. However Icons have been found in the catacombs (yes above altars) and in mosaics and wall paintings in the ruins of first century houses of worship.

This image of Mary, the Mother of Jesus Christ, was painted by St. Luke. It was carried by St. Thomas the apostle to India about one thousand, nine hundred and fifty years ago. Today, Mary continues to be venerated through this painting. It is kept at the main altar in the Church of Mount St. Thomas in Madras, India, the place where St. Thomas was martyred

ladybyluke.jpg

The Holy, Royal and Stavropygiac Monastery of Kykko has been the holy Ark in which the miraculous icon of the Mother of God, which according to tradition was painted by St. Luke himself, has been preserved.

3.jpg

There are more examples and discussion here: http://pazhayathu.blogspot.ca/2010/10/paintings-by-apostle-luke-rare-portrait.html
Painted by St Luke MD? Tradition does get concise in it's declarations doesn't it. Where's the proof that any of these beliefs that you adhere to are true. Plain and simple there is none.

Upvote 0