the South
✟40,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That has nothing to do with Sheol. Jesus took all the believers out of Sheol and took them to be with,in direct proximity, with the Father.

Ephesians 4:7-9 (CJB)
7 Each one of us, however, has been given grace to be measured by the Messiah’s bounty. 8 This is why it says,

“After he went up into the heights,
he led captivity captive
and
he gave gifts to mankind.”

9 Now this phrase, “he went up,” what can it mean if not that he first went down into the lower parts, that is, the earth?

I do not think the captives were the believers in Sheol.

Paul is alluding to Psalm 68:18 here. Psalm 68 is a victory hymn composed by David to celebrate the conquest of a Jebusite city. It describes a victory parade up Mount Zion to attribute the victory to God.

Historically, it was typical, after a king won a significant military victory, to bring back the spoils of war, including enemy prisoners, to display to his people.

As such, I think the better interpretation is that the captives are the foes of Christ. Death, the curse, and sin (Colossians 2:15) are led as it were in triumphal procession as a sign of their destruction.

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not think the captives were the believers in Sheol.

Paul is alluding to Psalm 68:18 here. Psalm 68 is a victory hymn composed by David to celebrate the conquest of a Jebusite city. It describes a victory parade up Mount Zion to attribute the victory to God.

Historically, it was typical, after a king won a significant military victory, to bring back the spoils of war, including enemy prisoners, to display to his people.

As such, I think the better interpretation is that the captives are the foes of Christ. Death, the curse, and sin (Colossians 2:15) are led as it were in triumphal procession as a sign of their destruction.

Um Ok

Upvote 0