✟18,267.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are delusional.

Coming from an atheist which is arguably one of the most self-deluded, self-defeating and illogical world views that exists.

Atheism is a self-defeating and illogical "belief" system (“atheism” - ἄθεος = ἀ- (a-, “not”) + θεός (theos, “god”) = ‘negative god’, so it affirms the non-existence of god, which philosophically affirms an absolute negative. It is self-defeating and a logical contradiction because you cannot affirm a negative in the absolute unless you have infinite knowledge.......which no one has...

Atheism is possibly the best synonym for delusional....

Upvote 0
F

Fastener

Coming from an atheist which is arguably one of the most self-deluded, self-defeating and illogical world views that exists.

Atheism is a self-defeating and illogical "belief" system (“atheism” - ἄθεος = ἀ- (a-, “not”) + θεός (theos, “god”) = ‘negative god’, so it affirms the non-existence of god, which philosophically affirms an absolute negative. It is self-defeating and a logical contradiction because you cannot affirm a negative in the absolute unless you have infinite knowledge.......which no one has...

Which out of the thousands of Gods were you given? I believe in one less God than you.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't know where you get your definitions, but atheism is not a belief system. Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. Since there is no evidence for the existence of deities, atheism is by definition not delusional.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know where you get your definitions, but atheism is not a belief system. Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. Since there is no evidence for the existence of deities, atheism is by definition not delusional.
If I was an "atheist", I wouldn't complain.

Would you prefer we call you what the Bible calls you?

ETA: LOL -- I just noticed you're an Agnostic -- :doh:

I can't tell you guys apart without your faith icons.

Please disregard my post.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know where you get your definitions, but atheism is not a belief system.
Sorry, agnostic -- I don't consider you qualified to speak for true atheists.

You might think that, but I'd rather hear it from a real atheist.

(No offense -- :))

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, agnostic -- I don't consider you qualified to speak for true atheists.

You might think that, but I'd rather hear it from a real atheist.

(No offense -- :))

I am not speaking for atheists, I am giving a definition of what atheism is, and I am quite capable of doing that.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am not speaking for atheists, I am giving a definition of what atheism is, and I am quite capable of doing that.
Then I don't believe you -- case closed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yep, you are quite good at not believing definitions. (No offense :) )
Definitions today are not nearly what they used to be.

Today, they are watered-down, spineless, candy-coated, mixed-up hybrids of what they used to be.

Upvote 0

ianb321red

Aug 27, 2011
Surrey
✟18,267.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

..so you obviously didn't note the ironic quotation marks either side of "belief" system :idea:

Of course it isn't a belief system - that's the blindingly obviously point I'm making in the first place!!

And btw, your definition proves my point very nicely - your making an absolute claim for a negative. Thanks for unwittingly supporting my argument :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
..so you obviously didn't note the ironic quotation marks either side of "belief" system :idea:

Of course it isn't a belief system - that's the blindingly obviously point I'm making in the first place!!

And btw, your definition proves my point very nicely - your making an absolute claim for a negative. Thanks for unwittingly supporting my argument :thumbsup:

If it is not a belief, it is not a delusion, which was your point. Delusion: a false belief held with absolute conviction.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If it is not a belief, it is not a delusion, which was your point. Delusion: a false belief held with absolute conviction.
Like Thalidomide as a prenatal wonder drug, or the Challenger 'go for throttle-up'?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And what does that have to do with belief and delusion?
Nothing, in my opinion; but if you define 'delusion' as:
Delusion: a false belief held with absolute conviction.
... then I'll take this definition with a grain of salt.

They held the false belief that the Challenger was safe with absolute conviction.

Unless, of course, you're saying that scientists are immune to 'delusion?'

In which case, I'll definitely take it with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nothing, in my opinion; but if you define 'delusion' as:

... then I'll take this definition with a grain of salt.

They held the false belief that the Challenger was safe with absolute conviction.

Unless, of course, you're saying that scientists are immune to 'delusion?'

No scientist in its right mind would say that a ship propelled by 19,744 cu ft of liquid oxygen is "safe". If you have a quote of a scientist saying that, please post it. Better, if you have a quote of a scientist saying that traveling by airplane or car is "safe with absolute conviction", post that too. I don't have absolute conviction that a meteor will not hit me in the head when I go out today.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Excuse me -- 'go for throttle-up' then.

What does that have to do with anything? Regardless of what was said and done, everyone involved in the mission understood there were risks. And why are we talking about this anyways? Weren't we talking about definitions of atheism? This forum cracks me up sometimes.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What does that have to do with anything? Regardless of what was said and done, everyone involved in the mission understood there were risks. And why are we talking about this anyways? Weren't we talking about definitions of atheism?
No, we're talking about the definition of 'delusion'; that you brought up.

And now that I've brought your sacred whitecoats into the picture, you suddenly want to get back on topic.
This forum cracks me up sometimes.
Then don't give your logon out in study hall or wherever.

Upvote 0