• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Where is the One and Only place Apostle Paul mentioned "Hades" (Hell)?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Available Light, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Available Light

Available Light New Member

+10
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    Most all translations covered it up.
    Every other time in the NT, where the word Hades was inscribed, the translators transposed the name Hell, except where Paul wrote it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+5,840
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    The suspense is killing me. Where?

3. Available Light

+10
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    Need to keep the mystery alive.
    It will be more rich for you if you research and find it yourself.

4. public hermit

+5,840
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Fair enough.

So, what do you think about the fact Paul doesn't really discuss hell in his letters?

5. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,518
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    The closest that I can find is
    "If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ,
    let him be Anathema [accursed].
    Mara n'atha! [Lord, do come soon!]" 1 Corinthians 16:22

6. Available Light

+10
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    The one time he mentioned Hades, dismantles the religious notion of "Hell" - the name of 'Hel' in Norse Mythology.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Available Light

+10
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    No, the greek word Hades was used in the verse I'm speaking of.

8. mlepfitjw

mlepfitjw May you be blessed!

+1,075
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Hello Available ; Is not Hades - She'ol (The covering place for the deaD) - also (Maybe not this because this place was real ->) Gehenna?

9. Minister Monardo

Minister Monardo Truth In The Nebulous

+1,607
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    1 Corinthians 15:55

10. Available Light

+10
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    Yes.
    Now - where is the notion of 'Eternal Damnation' in that?
    Can you describe the spiritual significance of what Hades is in the context?

11. Minister Monardo

+1,607
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Redemption
    Hosea 13:14. I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death:
    O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction: repentance shall be hid from
    mine eyes.
    The context for Paul in 1 Corinthians 15 is the resurrection from the dead.
    John 5:
    Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
    29 and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done
    evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

12. Available Light

+10
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    I assume like most, you place the Resurrection off into some future state.
    Jesus is the Resurrection.

If its a future state, why did Paul say in Phil 3 - I count all things loss, THAT I MAY ATTAIN the resurrection of the dead?

Even if you believe it off into the future, that means death and hades still have victory over you - based on I Cor 15:55.

christians are told they are free from Hell - Hades.
    Nope.

13. Minister Monardo

+1,607
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    John 6:39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.

It should be clear from the context
    Pressing Toward the Goal
    7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ.
    8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord,
    for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ
    9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;
    10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings,
    being conformed to His death,
    11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay
    hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
    13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those
    things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
    14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Only if you do not believe in the resurrection. Do you live in the fear of death?
    Hebrews 2:
    14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared
    in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil,
    15 and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

14. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Living between Dialectic and Paradox! Supporter

+7,067
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Personally, I think that's a very interesting fact. Do tell us more, PH!

And since you're seminary trained, maybe you could briefly share with us why you think some (but not all) modern English translations imply that Paul had anything at all to say about 'Hades' ? :cool:

15. Available Light

+10
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    If the resurrection (Jesus) is off in a future state - then why would Paul say he presses toward it?

16. Available Light

+10
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    Paul was a Universalist. "Out of him and through him and to him are ALL THINGS" - Rom 11:36.
    That is one of many accounts.

17. Minister Monardo

+1,607
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Because after the resurrection is the judgment.
    You seem to like asking questions, if you could answer one?

18. Available Light

+10
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    Already answered it, if you read it.
    He that keeps my sayings shall NEVER see death - John 8:51.
    christians always have to add to this oracle to deny it.

19. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Living between Dialectic and Paradox! Supporter

+7,067
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    That's an interesting point of view, Available Light, but I'm pretty sure that even though Paul attempted to be a lot of things to a lot of people, presenting himself as a 'Universalist' wasn't one of them.

Is this the actual focus that you were intending for your OP to have? I thought you were simply trying to bring our attention to the fact that Paul doesn't ACTUALLY use a Greek word for Hades in his letters.

[See 1 Corinthians 15:55 Greek Text Analysis]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  20. public hermit

+5,840
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I don't know what else to say, except Paul does not have "hell" (widely understood) as a focus. To the best of my knowledge, he doesn't even mention Hades in his letters. In 1 Corinthians 15:55, Paul uses thanatos, which is appropriately translated "death." All versions translate that way, except the KJV translates it "death" the first time, and then "grave" the second, which is odd. Paul does talk about universal condemnation, but by that he means humanity's status before God's judgment.

Lol, I don't know that I have any special insight. Any such implication would be due to doctrinal preference and not so much with the text, per se. If all we had were Paul's writings, I don't think the doctrine of ECT would have developed like it did. But, we aren't in that hypothetical situation, and we have a whole host of other scriptural writings to consider. It is interesting, nonetheless.