Where is the One and Only place Apostle Paul mentioned "Hades" (Hell)?

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know what else to say, except Paul does not have "hell" (widely understood) as a focus. To the best of my knowledge, he doesn't even mention Hades in his letters. In 1 Corinthians 15:55, Paul uses thanatos, which is appropriately translated "death." All versions translate that way, except the KJV translates it "death" the first time, and then "grave" the second, which is odd. Paul does talk about universal condemnation, but by that he means humanity's status before God's judgment.

Maybe some of the problem comes in the way in which different families of Greek biblical texts reflect slightly different readings, [as such: 1 Corinthians 15:55 Parallel Greek Texts]

Lol, I don't know that I have any special insight. Any such implication would be due to doctrinal preference and not so much with the text, per se. If all we had were Paul's writings, I don't think the doctrine of ECT would have developed like it did. But, we aren't in that hypothetical situation, and we have a whole host of other scriptural writings to consider. It is interesting, nonetheless.

Now, that's definitely something to think about ... :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe some of the problem comes in the way in which different families of Greek biblical texts reflect slightly different readings, [as such: 1 Corinthians 15:55 Parallel Greek Texts]

Good catch. I was looking at the BGT, but it is in the Byzantine Major and others. My bad.

The other thing to mention is that Paul is quoting from the OT, even in this passage. In other words, it doesn't seem to be a term, concept, he employs on his own. Of course, we only have so many of his letters, and I think it's presumptuous to assume everything he had to say or was concerned about are all happily captured in what we have.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most all translations covered it up.
Every other time in the NT, where the word Hades was inscribed, the translators transposed the name Hell, except where Paul wrote it.
Mark 9:42 (WEB) And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Upvote 0

Available Light

Feb 15, 2021
Tahoe City
✟1,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
That's an interesting point of view, Available Light, but I'm pretty sure that even though Paul attempted to be a lot of things to a lot of people, presenting himself as a 'Universalist' wasn't one of them.

Is this the actual focus that you were intending for your OP to have? I thought you were simply trying to bring our attention to the fact that Paul doesn't ACTUALLY use a Greek work for Hades in his letters.

[See 1 Corinthians 15:55 Greek Text Analysis]
Eternal Damnationist's don't bring up this glaring fact - that is my point. Aside from understanding what Hell (Hades) really is.

• Useful
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Available Light

Feb 15, 2021
Tahoe City
✟1,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Mark 9:42 (WEB) And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Ever notice when Gehenna Fire (burning dump outside Jerusalem) is taught they NEVER quote verse 49 - "For everyone shall be salted with FIRE" ?
NEVER!!
Ever seen people burning in a dump south of geographical Jerusalem?

Upvote 0

Available Light

Feb 15, 2021
Tahoe City
✟1,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
That's an interesting point of view, Available Light, but I'm pretty sure that even though Paul attempted to be a lot of things to a lot of people, presenting himself as a 'Universalist' wasn't one of them.

Is this the actual focus that you were intending for your OP to have? I thought you were simply trying to bring our attention to the fact that Paul doesn't ACTUALLY use a Greek work for Hades in his letters.

[See 1 Corinthians 15:55 Greek Text Analysis]

Right.
One of my favorite quotes of Paul by GOD is Romans 11:25-26: Romans 11:25-26 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

Most all the christians are still - "IGNORANT OF THE MYSTERY AND WISE IN THEIR OWN CONCEITS".
ED's (Eternal Damnationist's) hate Romans 11:25-26.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank God for no eternal damnation. Though that does not however derive the fact of the outside of the Heavenly Jerusalem, and the inside of the Heavenly Jerusalem. (At least in my belief. - She'ol, Death, Sin, Satan have been conquered over by the Lord Jesus Christ.)

Am of the belief of everyone having their sins paid for, just some refuse to accept the Lord Jesus Christ, or submit to God - by the natural sites they see because of God creating everything around us. Romans 1:20.

Believe it is totally possible for God to write on the hearts and minds of people without scriptures because of Hebrews 10:14-17 and Romans 1:20. For with God all things are possible.

Matthew 19: Who can be saved? Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.”

Matthew 19: Who can be saved? Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Available Light

Feb 15, 2021
Tahoe City
✟1,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank God for no eternal damnation. Though that does not however derive the fact of the outside of the Heavenly Jerusalem, and the inside of the Heavenly Jerusalem. (At least in my belief. - She'ol, Death, Sin, Satan have been conquered over by the Lord Jesus Christ.)

Am of the belief of everyone having their sins paid for, just some refuse to accept the Lord Jesus Christ, or submit to God - by the natural sites they see because of God creating everything around us. Romans 1:20.

Believe it is totally possible for God to write on the hearts and minds of people without scriptures because of Hebrews 10:14-17 and Romans 1:20. For with God all things are possible.

Matthew 19: Who can be saved? Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.”

Matthew 19: Who can be saved? Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
What is salvation? Saved from what?

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Saved from darkness into light.
Saved from our own hateful deceitful hearts, into love.
Saved unto eternal life, instead of eternal condemnation (God condemns people (while living here I assume), and judges them after this life).

What about your thoughts on these things?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right.
One of my favorite quotes of Paul by GOD is Romans 11:25-26: Romans 11:25-26 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

Most all the christians are still - "IGNORANT OF THE MYSTERY AND WISE IN THEIR OWN CONCEITS".
ED's (Eternal Damnationist's) hate Romans 11:25-26.

Most all the other Christians are still ignorant? Maybe that could be the case on some level, but in the context of what Paul was saying to the Roman Christian of his own time, what do you think he meant in saying that they could be "wise in their conceits"? What is it to be "wise in our own conceits"? I guess I'm not so clear on exactly what he's referring to here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Available Light

Feb 15, 2021
Tahoe City
✟1,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Most all the other Christians are still ignorant? Maybe that could be the case on some level, but in the context of what Paul was saying to the Roman Christian of his own time, what do you think he meant in saying that they could be "wise in their conceits"? What is it to be "wise in our own conceits"? I guess I'm not so clear on exactly what he's referring to here.
  • Not understanding the "Restoration of ALL THINGS" which is the fulfillment of the Abrahamic Covenant - Acts 3:19-25

Upvote 0

Available Light

Feb 15, 2021
Tahoe City
✟1,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Saved from darkness into light.
Saved from our own hateful deceitful hearts, into love.
Saved unto eternal life, instead of eternal condemnation (God condemns people (while living here I assume), and judges them after this life).

What about your thoughts on these things?
Salvation is "spirit soul and Body" - I Thess 5:23.
If you were truly illuminated in the Light, you'd be Immortal - "If thine eye is single, your whole body shall be filled with light" - matthew 6:22

phrases like 'eternal punishment' in matt 25:46 and the like are ALWAYS false translations of the greek, Kolasin Aionion is greek in matthew and should be translated the Judgment of the Ages - cause and effect.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The one time he mentioned Hades, dismantles the religious notion of "Hell" - the name of 'Hel' in Norse Mythology.
Total nonsense. The meaning of a word is not determined by one usage or how it may be translated in English. Was Herod literally a fox when Jesus called him one? Was Simon literally a stone when Peter called him that? Was Peter literally Satan when Jesus called him that? Were James and John literally sons of thunder when Jesus called them that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Navair2

May the Lord Jesus Christ be magnified above all
Nov 18, 2020
Somewhere west of Chicago.
✟36,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most all translations covered it up.
Every other time in the NT, where the word Hades was inscribed, the translators transposed the name Hell, except where Paul wrote it.
The Greek word used is, "ᾅδης", transliterated into English as "hadēs" and it is named after the Greek god who supposedly rules it;
It literally means the same thing in Old Norse...
"Hel" after the goddess Hel or Hela ( Germanic ), the place of the dead, which is where English gets it's word for "Hell"...

The holding place of the dead.

Given that English is a mish-mash of at least 4 languages ( Latin, Celtic, Breton, Norman French ( itself an evolution of Latin ), Old Norse and Germanic Anglish and Saxon tongues ), I'm not entirely surprised that a word from ancient Norse mythology made its way into an English translation of the Bible.

Per Revelation 20:13-15, death and Hell ( hades, hel, the holding place of the dead ) will give up the dead ( that is, the spiritually dead, for the spiritually alive go to be with Christ when their body dies ) that are in them and they both shall be cast into the Lake of Fire.
This is the second death.

" Blessed and holy [is] he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." ( Revelation 20:6 )

Therefore, as the children of God that we are, we should praise the Lord that we will not take part in the second death, my friends.
It is a place of eternal torment and anguish.:eek::(:sob:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Salvation is "spirit soul and Body" - I Thess 5:23.
If you were truly illuminated in the Light, you'd be Immortal - "If thine eye is single, your whole body shall be filled with light" - matthew 6:22
phrases like 'eternal punishment' in matt 25:46 and the like are ALWAYS false translations of the greek, Kolasin Aionion is greek in matthew and should be translated the Judgment of the Ages - cause and effect.
That is the false "doctrine" of several religious groups which has no basis in fact.
…..Greek is now, and for 2000+ years has been, the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church. Who, better than the native Greek speaking scholars who translated the “literal” Greek Eastern Orthodox Bible [EOB], know the correct meaning of Greek words, e.g. ”aiōnios,”"kolasis" etc?
Matthew 25:46 These [ones on the left] will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
Cleenewerck, L. (Ed.). (2011). The Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible: New Testament (Mt 25:46). Laurent A. Cleenewerck.
https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/books/or...tament-(The-Eastern-Greek-Orthodox-Bible).pdf
The Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible EOB—New Testament 96 can be viewed/D/L at the above link. For any doubts/questions about the EOB version please refer to the 200 page preface which documents the extensive Greek scholarship supporting this translation.
κολασιν/kolasin the word correctly translated “punishment” in Matt 25:46 occurs one other time in the NT in 1 Jn 4:18.
1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. [κολασιν/kolasin] He that feareth is not made perfect in love.​
There is no correction, those who have “kolasin” are not corrected, not made perfect.

Upvote 0

Available Light

Feb 15, 2021
Tahoe City
✟1,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Total nonsense. The meaning of a word is not determined by one usage or how it may be translated in English. Was Herod literally a fox when Jesus called him one? Was Simon literally a stone when Peter called him that? Was Peter literally Satan when Jesus called him that? Were James and John literally sons of thunder when Jesus called them that?

I understand, you feel backed into a corner.
Problem is, rather than offering up straw-men analogies, you must deal with the context that Paul used the name Hades - that translators were to weak or inept to place the Norse name "Hell" on, like they did everywhere else in the NT.

Go ahead now - time to plunge through the portal . .

Upvote 0

Available Light

Feb 15, 2021
Tahoe City
✟1,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The Greek word used is, "ᾅδης", transliterated into English as "hadēs" and it is named after the Greek god who supposedly rules it;
It literally means the same thing in Old Norse...
"Hel" after the goddess Hel or Hela ( Germanic ), the place of the dead, which is where English gets it's word for "Hell"...

The holding place of the dead.

Given that English is a mish-mash of at least 4 languages ( Latin, Celtic, Breton, Norman French ( itself an evolution of Latin ), Old Norse and Germanic Anglish and Saxon tongues ), I'm not entirely surprised that a word from ancient Norse mythology made its way into an English translation of the Bible.

Per Revelation 20:13-15, death and Hell ( hades, hel, the holding place of the dead ) will give up the dead ( that is, the spiritually dead, for the spiritually alive go to be with Christ when their body dies ) that are in them and they both shall be cast into the Lake of Fire.
This is the second death.

" Blessed and holy [is] he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." ( Revelation 20:6 )

Therefore, as the children of God that we are, we should praise the Lord that we will not take part in the second death, my friends.
It is a place of eternal torment and anguish.:eek::(:sob:

Nah, the second death is the death of Death. "there shall be no more death" - Rev 21:4. No more first death and second death. Nothing left to burn in Lake of Fire, thus, "God shall be ALL IN ALL" - I cor 15:28

Upvote 0

Available Light

Feb 15, 2021
Tahoe City
✟1,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Nah, the second death is the death of Death. "there shall be no more death" - Rev 21:4. No more first death and second death. Nothing left to burn in Lake of Fire, thus, "God shall be ALL IN ALL" - I cor 15:28
Boom! Bada Boom!! - you know, "Jesus making ALL THINGS NEW" - Rev 21:5 - that little-thingy called, "the restoration of ALL THINGS" - Acts 3:19-26. And so on . .

Upvote 0