Did Jesus descend into hell per the Apostles' Creed?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to Apostles' Creed:

he [Jesus] descended into hell;
on the third day, he rose again from the dead;
Oxford Dictionaries:

1. (in some religions) the place believed to be the home of devils and where bad people go after death
  2. a very unpleasant experience or situation in which people suffer very much
I don't think Jesus descended into hell in Oxford's sense. See Where was Jesus between his death and resurrection?. Some churches decided to change the phraseology:

more churches to remove a needless stumbling block by changing the wording to something like “he descended to the dead” (as many churches already have).
Jesus descended to the heart of the earth.

Also, I would replace "one holy catholic church" with "one holy church."

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram

Qubit

Mar 6, 2024
USA
✟13,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Church generally does not interpret Ephesians 4:9 correctly. They falsely assume that the verse refers to Jesus descending *after* he died on the Cross. The correct interpretation is that Jesus *first* descended to the Womb of Mary...

John 6:38
"For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me."

Ephesians 4:9 is referring to the descent of Jesus when he *first* came down, i.e., to incarnate.

We have confirmation here...

Psalms 139:15
"My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth."

Thus, both lowest and lower parts of the Earth are euphemism for the Womb.

Read it again with Psalms 139:15 in mind...

Ephesians 4:9
Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

According to some Scholars, Jesus went to Hell...

...some interpret this of Christ's descent into hell, which must be understood not locally, but of his enduring the wrath of God for sin, which was equivalent to the torments of hell, and of his being in the state of the dead;

Really? Let us keep reading...

...but it may rather design the whole of his humiliation, as his descent from heaven and incarnation in the virgin's womb, where his human nature was curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth;

And there we have it. Jesus *first* descended into the Womb of Mary, i.e., the lower parts of the Earth.

Jonah was in the 'belly', again another reference to the Womb.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0