Where is liberal Christian love for the intolerant?

1Co13

Sep 18, 2013
✟512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I disagree with this. Conservatives do it just as much as the liberals.

1Jo 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Jude 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Jude 1:21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
Jude 1:22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
Jude 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever looked into that Hebrew idiom about the eye
being single?

You're full of darkness??

I dunno, am i full of darkness? let the fruit speak for me.

Enlighten me on the idiom so i no longer sound like an idiot . ^_^

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some people emphasize social justice more. Others emphasize personal righteousness more. Both are necessary, but over-emphasis can be a problem when it causes us to become morally lazy or judgmental.
Morally lazy?
What is that exactly?

Reactions: HisSparkPlug
Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well said.
He LOVES the sinner & HATES the sin and the institutions & wrong beliefs which keep people chained and unable to fully embrace His truth.

If we look at Jesus's actual actions, he loved the sinner and forgave the sin.

Upvote 0

1Feather

Sep 19, 2013
✟804.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it comes down to whether we are sure of our own vision. I trust G-d to tell people if they are doing something He's likely to damn them for, certainly if they are sincere in giving themselves to Him. And maybe He has told them and they haven't listened. Or maybe they've professed to listen but they're not sincere in that. But that's nothing that G-d has vouchsafed to me. And He's vouchsafed plenty about what I need to do about myself. So I'll do that and trust Him to do right about everyone else.

Would sinners be open to hear God's wisdom?

I think it best to beware of self-serving interpretations of scripture in order to defend a wrong choice.

There are behaviors that are contrary to scripture. When scripture is invoked as a means of living righteously are we to simply say that others are to find their way and trust God to speak? When scripture is the inspired words of God?

I disagree with this. Conservatives do it just as much as the liberals.
I would agree. Hate is the culprit and it has not a thing to do with righteous judgment of the sin of a sinner.
How can we love those who are doing wrong as we seek to correct their behavior using the loving inspiration of Christ? Did God so hate the world that he gave his only begotten son?

I believe we can not agree with sin and at the same time not then determine the sinner is worthy of our scorn. More that they are worthy of our compassion in that we know the judgement shall be upon them if they do not realize the wrong that they are doing.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oops, my Aspy is showing. I dont pick up on sarcasm much.
No, I think you were right in how you understood it.

I dunno, am i full of darkness? let the fruit speak for me.
Well I don't know you so I don't know your fruit,
but Your'e the one who said it lol
Something about "we who are full of darkness"...?

Enlighten me on the idiom so i no longer sound like an idiot . ^_^
I don't know that you sounded idiotic because
I didn't really understand your post! lol :blush:
Hebrew idiom about good eyes

Upvote 0

1Feather

Sep 19, 2013
✟804.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well said.
He LOVES the sinner & HATES the sin and the institutions & wrong beliefs which keep people chained and unable to fully embrace His truth.
Wonderfully put. I agree. :)

I agree. I know people IRL that I wont disagree with because they automatically take it as an attack.
Probably best. I don't like drama and conflict IRL. Nor online but sometimes that is hard to miss when scrolling through pages of replies. I think in that case the anonymity factor of the internet is what spurs people to that behavior. And it makes me wonder if they are like that IRL. If so, are they my neighbor? :o

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheGMan

Follower of Jesus of Nazareth
Aug 25, 2005
London
✟9,761.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
There are behaviors that are contrary to scripture. When scripture is invoked as a means of living righteously are we to simply say that others are to find their way and trust God to speak? When scripture is the inspired words of God?
Yes! G-d is just and loving and merciful. He has told us - in Scripture - that He will seek out the lost sheep. He has told us that His sheep will know His voice. We should trust Him.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The people who said they condone sin.

So, let us talk about racial attitudes. So much easier to keep out the forbidden topics and that one's in the OP.

Is it a sin to hate people because of their race?

It is sin to hate people in general. It has nothing to do with race.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Here's the problem.. it escalates.
It begins with an ungrateful heart at the beginning at Romans 1..
then goes on to show how we get from ungrateful, to perverted,
to ... well you can read it here:

Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

God is love,
God wrote the above.
It's not too loving to be complacent
when your brother is believing a lie
and asking you for your take.

Reactions: HisSparkPlug
Upvote 0

Hentenza

Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I took the OP "anti-gay" to be analogous to "racist", i.e. people who hate or are prejudiced against gays, btw. We can discuss this without bringing in CF-verboten debates about the morality of gay sex.

They are not analogous at all. To not condone homosexuality =/= to being a racist. This is the type of hateful and intolerant analogy that is often used by your camp.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1Co13

Sep 18, 2013
✟512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, I think you were right in how you understood it.

Well I don't know you so I don't know your fruit,
but Your'e the one who said it lol
Something about "we who are full of darkness"...?

I don't know that you sounded idiotic because
I didn't really understand your post! lol :blush:
Hebrew idiom about good eyes

I read your link, im not sure how it should be translated but i always understood the word "single" to mean an eye focused on Jesus the master, and focused on treasure in heaven vs earthly treasure. Where are heart is our treasure will be also, and we cannot serve 2 masters. We cant have one eye on wealth and another on Christ

Upvote 0

Hentenza

Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

What do you think Jesus meant by the following?

Matt. 18

15 “If your brother sins[k], go and [l]show him his fault [m]in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16 But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every [n]fact may be confirmed. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as [o]a Gentile and [p]a tax collector.

Upvote 0

scrofford

God Seeker
Dec 4, 2009
Marysville, Wa
✟8,009.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes they do.

Liberal Christianity has its own Pharisaic streak from time to time. And I've winced through more than a few sermons from well intentioned but unreflective Episcopalian priests.

But I'm still a liberal Christian.

I don't see how anyone can put labels on Christianity. Being a "liberal" Christian or a "conservative" Christian is just making Christianity political which true Christianity IS NOT.

If you are a true Christian, then you will live by the Word of God and follow Christ. Period. If the Word says that something is wrong and not to do it, then we shouldn't do it. If the Word of God tells us to do something, then we should do it.

Christianity is all about relationship with Jesus Christ. It's not about being liberal or conservative or whatever. If you are a Christian, then this world is not your home. This world is passing away. If you are a true Christian, then your eyes are fixed on eternity and on what God wants. Not what you want. Christianity is all about dying to self.

We as Christians need to base our whole lives on what the Word of God says. We need to stop focusing on loving or being a part of this world, because we aren't. We were bought with a price. We are not our own. Christ owns us.

Upvote 0

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't see how anyone can put labels on Christianity. Being a "liberal" Christian or a "conservative" Christian is just making Christianity political which true Christianity IS NOT.

If you are a true Christian, then you will live by the Word of God and follow Christ. Period. If the Word says that something is wrong and not to do it, then we shouldn't do it. If the Word of God tells us to do something, then we should do it.

Christianity is all about relationship with Jesus Christ. It's not about being liberal or conservative or whatever. If you are a Christian, then this world is not your home. This world is passing away. If you are a true Christian, then your eyes are fixed on eternity and on what God wants. Not what you want. Christianity is all about dying to self.

We as Christians need to base our whole lives on what the Word of God says. We need to stop focusing on loving or being a part of this world, because we aren't. We were bought with a price. We are not our own. Christ owns us.

I think that most people are using liberal or conservative to describe their Christian beliefs and not their political beliefs.

Upvote 0