BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If God wants, He can bring world peace. If God wants, He can end world hunger. If God wants, He can make gold and bread rain. If God wants, He can eradicate all diseases. If God wants, He can do all this. But He does not do it because He does not want it. People today are arrogant, they think their prosperity comes from them, but it does not. Their prosperity comes from God. You are not smarter and richer than other people because you are you, you are smarter and richer because God wanted it. He gives blessings to whom He wants in this world, be it believers or unbelievers. He does this because He has plans. But many people do not understand that. They think they are better, they create racist ideas, they look down on others. But if God wants, He can make the wealthy of this world poor in just one night and the needy rich in just one night, if He wants.

Just because God blesses a person does not mean He loves him. Just because God curses a person does not mean He hates him. This is how Job's friends thought, they thought God loves the blessed and hates the cursed, but God rebuked them.

Isaiah 45:7
I who form the light and create the darkness, who make peace and create calamity - it is I, the LORD, who does all these things.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If God wants, He can bring world peace. If God wants, He can end world hunger. If God wants, He can make gold and bread rain. If God wants, He can eradicate all diseases. If God wants, He can do all this. But He does not do it because He does not want it. People today are arrogant, they think their prosperity comes from them, but it does not. Their prosperity comes from God. You are not smarter and richer than other people because you are you, you are smarter and richer because God wanted it. He gives blessings to whom He wants in this world, be it believers or unbelievers. He does this because He has plans. But many people do not understand that. They think they are better, they create racist ideas, they look down on others. But if God wants, He can make the wealthy of this world poor in just one night and the needy rich in just one night, if He wants.

Just because God blesses a person does not mean He loves him. Just because God curses a person does not mean He hates him. This is how Job's friends thought, they thought God loves the blessed and hates the cursed, but God rebuked them.

I who form the light and create the darkness, who make peace and create calamity - it is I, the LORD, who does all these things.
So no one takes responsibility for their own actions ? It's all God's doing?

Upvote 0

Emun

Aug 31, 2022
BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So no one takes responsibility for their own actions ? It's all God's doing?
Why does a person do what he does? He does it because he listens to his mind. God has the power to send spirits to people so that people will listen to those spirits. He can send a lying spirit to people so that they believe and tell lies, as God did to the prophets of Ahab. He can also send a spirit of peace so that there is no war, as God did with the enemies of Solomon so that Israel would have peace. But God can also send a spirit of war so that there is war, as He did with Babylon. Everything is in His hand.

Is God therefore unjust? No, man sinned in the Garden of Eden. That is why He can deal with people as He pleases. He can stir up war among them or he can make them believe in lies. He can do that.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why does a person do what he does? He does it because he listens to his mind. God has the power to send spirits to people so that people will listen to those spirits. He can send a lying spirit to people so that they believe and tell lies, as God did to the prophets of Ahab. He can also send a spirit of peace so that there is no war, as God did with the enemies of Solomon so that Israel would have peace. But God can also send a spirit of war so that there is war, as He did with Babylon. Everything is in His hand.

Is God therefore unjust? No, man sinned in the Garden of Eden. That is why He can deal with people as He pleases. He can stir up war among them or he can make them believe in lies. He can do that.
Ok. I understand where you stand. I myself do not subscribe to this. I believe God gives us free will and that we make our own decisions without God's intervention. Allowing something to happen is not the same as creating it. We do not have a God who sends evil/good spirits to us, there is another alternative. The flesh is weak therefore it can entertain the many evils availed to him. We have a choice to act upon it or reject it. Blessings.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Whats the point of all the plans if we just do things according to Gods will?

Why not just create the desired end-state up front?

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.. I did type allot and scripture but since you only used one verse that was taken out of context. Read way before that you find what Isa was talking about. What is left out is God is not a man nor does He think like one "“God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?" "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning."

What about faith? Most of what you said comes across as God really walks by is moved by feelings. As if God was made in our image. Fact
A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children, And the wealth of the sinner is stored up for [the hands of] the righteous.

Sorry but if one thinks of God like this they do not know Him. He rains on the just and unjust. This fall was because Satan lied and we listen to that lie so all of this world belongs to Satan. Its why God called Satan the god of this world. Sorry but since this is his he does what he wants. Do you know why were are told to pray? We are here. Do you know why Christ aka God had to become His own creation?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Fatalism has been condemned as heretical since the earliest days of Christianity. If all things are pre-determined, then good and evil are meaningless concepts, rather things just happen and no value asignment can be made to any event or any activity. A murderer murders purely because it was determined that it would happen, the murderer is merely a passive instrument of cosmic fate. One can no more hold them morally accountable for their actions then one could hold fire accountable for being hot or the earth accountable for moving along its orbital plane around the sun.

Such a view ultimately presents "God" as a mere force of nature, or perhaps a force of supranature; a mere extra-cosmic force. Little more than a cosmic watch-maker who winds up the universe, and all things merely tick-forward along their determined trajectories.

Such a view makes the whole concept of divine rescue and redemption a farce.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟650,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Whats the point of all the plans if we just do things according to Gods will?

Why not just create the desired end-state up front?

What about faith? Most of what you said comes across as God really walks by is moved by feelings. As if God was made in our image. Fact
A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children, And the wealth of the sinner is stored up for [the hands of] the righteous.

Sorry but if one thinks of God like this they do not know Him. He rains on the just and unjust. This fall was because Satan lied and we listen to that lie so all of this world belongs to Satan. Its why God called Satan the god of this world. Sorry but since this is his he does what he wants. Do you know why were are told to pray? We are here. Do you know why Christ aka God had to become His own creation?
I read the OP that the poster was airing the thinking of Jobs friends.

Upvote 0

Emun

Aug 31, 2022
BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fatalism has been condemned as heretical since the earliest days of Christianity. If all things are pre-determined, then good and evil are meaningless concepts, rather things just happen and no value asignment can be made to any event or any activity. A murderer murders purely because it was determined that it would happen, the murderer is merely a passive instrument of cosmic fate. One can no more hold them morally accountable for their actions then one could hold fire accountable for being hot or the earth accountable for moving along its orbital plane around the sun.

Such a view ultimately presents "God" as a mere force of nature, or perhaps a force of supranature; a mere extra-cosmic force. Little more than a cosmic watch-maker who winds up the universe, and all things merely tick-forward along their determined trajectories.

Such a view makes the whole concept of divine rescue and redemption a farce.

-CryptoLutheran
I looked up what fatalism means. And according to GotQuestions it means: "Fatalism teaches that there is a blind, impersonal force over which no one has control - not even God - and that events are carried along by this blind, purposeless force."

If you read that out of my text then there are only 2 possibilities: Either you are a liar or you have completely failed to understand me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emun

Aug 31, 2022
BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you.. I did type allot and scripture but since you only used one verse that was taken out of context. Read way before that you find what Isa was talking about. What is left out is God is not a man nor does He think like one "“God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?" "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning."

What exactly is wrong with what I wrote?

Are you part of the prosperity gospel movement?

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟650,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
@Robban
What's wrong with that? That is true.

I have read the book of Job. I have read the whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation. I have already read the Torah twice. I also read Bible commentaries.

Explain to me what is wrong.
I was clarifying my messed up post #8.

I did not say you were wrong, on the contrary.

Job 2:10

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I looked up what fatalism means. And according to GotQuestions it means: "Fatalism teaches that there is a blind, impersonal force over which no one has control - not even God - and that events are carried along by this blind, purposeless force."

If you read that out of my text then there are only 2 possibilities: Either you are a liar or you have completely failed to understand me.

Try a different definition,

"a doctrine that events are fixed in advance so that human beings are powerless to change them" - Merriam-Webster

"the belief that events are decided by fate and that you cannot control them; the fact of accepting that you cannot prevent something from happening" - Oxford Learner's Dictionary

"1. the acceptance of all things and events as inevitable; submission to fate: Her fatalism helped her to face death with stoic calm.

2. Philosophy. the doctrine that all events are subject to fate or inevitable predetermination." - dictionary.com

Whether it is a blind impersonal force or attributed to divine agency (i.e. God) is irrelevant.

Fatalism, or determinism, are synonymous, and speaks to a position that everything has already been determined--or fated--to happen.

If you believe that everything has already been predetermined by God, then you are simply asserting a form of theological fatalism.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

“He that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.”
James 4:17

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟39,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I think that you have a unique view of reality, and how our shared reality works.

You probably want human beings to have free will (a lot of people see this as a good thing),
BUT you want God to stop the RESULTS of some of people's free will.

This is an inconsistent view of what a perfect reality should be.
You want training wheels put on human free will.

The reality is that human free will can produce amazing acts of
righteousness, or amazing acts of evil.

Curiously, when God does eliminate an entire groups of people, because
they have become SO evil, then you hear all sorts of criticism of God for
doing this.

So, whatever God allows, there will be large groups of people who criticize
him for doing whatever he did.

Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

G-d gives us the freedom to decide on our actions. He also teaches us righteousness. Except in cases of physical or mental defects we must look in the mirror if we want to know who is to blame for our bad actions. “The devil made me do it” is a cop out.

Upvote 0