Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, feel it as you wish.
I believe Scripture:
"'So the whole number of generations from Abraham to David is fourteen generations, and from David to the deportation to Babylon fourteen generations, and from the deportation to Babylon to the Messiah fourteen generations." (Matthew 1:17)

A single generation is not INFINITE.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The SOLE PURPOSE of the Gospel is to be preached to sinners on earth to call them to salvation.
It has no other purpose.

To suggest that it's purpose comes to an end one day is to deny the DIRECT scriptural teaching that the Gospel is EVERLASTING.

Sorry Friend. You can't have it both ways.
You can't have an Everlasting Gospel that has an Expiration Date.

I am talking about things in two dimension. You think it is only on one dimension.
Sorry, pal, take it as you wish.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nobody said infinite. You do.
Sorry... typo.. you said INDEFINITE. A single Biblical Generation is NOT Indefinite, as your view requires.

As Scripture demonstrates, a single biblical generation is ABSOLUTELY FINITE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am talking about things in two dimension. You think it is only on one dimension.
Sorry, pal, take it as you wish.

I'm talking about direct, literal scriptural teaching that you apparently need to flat out deny in order to make your view work.

If you have to deny direct scriptural teaching to make your view work, it's not the scripture that is the problem, it's your view.

Instead of twisting, elasticizing, metaphorizing and de-literalizing scripture to fit your view, I recommend changing your view to align with scripture.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sorry... typo.. you said INDEFINITE. A single Biblical Generation is NOT Indefinite, as your view requires.

As Scripture demonstrates, a single biblical generation is ABSOLUTELY FINITE.

Do you have anything in the Bible which you do not understand?
I guess not.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
By biblical accounts, Jesus should have come by now.

Jesus said, “And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come” (Mt 24:14). In the first century, the Gospel was preached in all the nations (Rm 1:8; 16:26; Col 1:6, 23).

Jesus said that abounding lawlessness is another sign of the imminence of the end (Mt 24:12). In the first century, even before the end of the age, the mystery of lawlessness was already at work (2 Thes 2:7).

Israelites were anxious for Elijah’s return, for that was another sign of the end of the age (Mal 4:5-6). In the first century, Elijah returned (Mt 17:12).

Jesus said he would raise up a new temple within days of the current temple’s destruction (Jn 2:19). In the first century, the new temple was being raised (1 Pt 2:5).

Jesus said many false prophets would lead many astray (Mt 24:11). The New Testament canon is replete with such occurrences in the first century, such as Acts 5:36-37.

In the first century, prophecy seems to have been fulfilled. So where’s Jesus?

The Beast has not been revealed nor his mark so that is one thing holding up the process.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Nor would they:
Scripture fully and uniformly teaches that some would be faithful and others unfaithful (Romans 2:5-9; Mt 25:1-13; Lk 13:24-30; 1 Cor 3:12-15).

As the angel also plainly states:

Revelation 22:10-11
And he said to me, "Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near. Let the one who does wrong, still do wrong; and the one who is filthy, still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy."
Yet according to scripture, God's waiting for that exact thing before coming back.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I understand the questions as stated.. I still have no idea how they are relevant to the topic. Thanks for affirming my freedom to address them.

Yes.

No, not in the context both Jesus and Paul used it.

The etymology of a word cannot be expanded beyond the scope of the context it is being used within, when one is determining (or attempting to determine) the specific, or intended meaning of the word within that context.

In other words, Context trumps Etymology.
so what of John 3:16? Does this verse really mean "for God so loves the Roman world..." or can kosmos in this example transcend its colloquial use?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so what of John 3:16? Does this verse really mean "for God so loves the Roman world..." or can kosmos in this example transcend its colloquial use?
What does the context of John 3:16 tell you?

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said, “And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come” (Mt 24:14). In the first century, the Gospel was preached in all the nations (Rm 1:8; 16:26; Col 1:6, 23).
No it wasn't.

And it still isn't.

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 16
21 From that time on Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests, and experts in the law, and be killed, and on the third day be raised. 22 So Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him: “God forbid, Lord! This must not happen to you!” 23 But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, because you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but on man’s.” 24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone wants to become my follower, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what does it benefit a person if he gains the whole world but forfeits his life? Or what can a person give in exchange for his life? 27 For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. 28 I tell you the truth, there are some standing here who will not experience death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

The context of this passage really seems to indicate that Jesus "coming in his Kingdom" is His death and resurrection. Remember, he was speaking to His disciples. One of them died before seeing Jesus die and rise again.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sure.
But I don’t typically publicly claim I understand things I don’t.

If you don't know something, how would you know you don't know it?
A student get A in chemistry would think he knows everything about chemistry.

When would the Gospel time end?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
why this avoidance game? I asked you if "Kosmos" is unique to the Roman world or if it goes beyond it as it pertains to John 3:16. Why not just answer the question? I already know what I think of the text, I'm interested in what you think of the text.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it was.

And it still was.

But of course, you can argue with St. Paul all you wish.
I take the view that "ethnos" means all ethnic groups. Which means the gospel has not gone into all the world yet. Not only that, but I have history and actual present day reality on my side. Not all of the world is evangelised. Unless you would like to argue that every people group on the planet has been evangelised.

Romans 1:8 does not say that all the world is reached, only that the Romans' faith is being proclaimed to all the world. It still is, by the way.

Colossians 1:23. Given that neither of us were born yet when Paul penned these words, it seems reasonable to assume that you can't take it as literally as you are implying. The word used there is creation, not ethnos or Matthew 24:14's use of the word "earth" and "nations".

I'd be happy to be preterist views but unfortunately I can't find rational reason, based upon the large amount of suffering experienced in this present world, to go with it. Reason, experience, Bible... these three intersect to form a healthy theology.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
By biblical accounts, Jesus should have come by now.

Jesus said that abounding lawlessness is another sign of the imminence of the end (Mt 24:12). In the first century, even before the end of the age, the mystery of lawlessness was already at work (2 Thes 2:7).

Israelites were anxious for Elijah’s return, for that was another sign of the end of the age (Mal 4:5-6). In the first century, Elijah returned (Mt 17:12).

Jesus said he would raise up a new temple within days of the current temple’s destruction (Jn 2:19). In the first century, the new temple was being raised (1 Pt 2:5).

Jesus said many false prophets would lead many astray (Mt 24:11). The New Testament canon is replete with such occurrences in the first century, such as Acts 5:36-37.

In the first century, prophecy seems to have been fulfilled. So where’s Jesus?
Residential Bob said:
DamianWarS said:
"nations" in greek is "ethnos", this word is not talking about political boundaries but rather people groups. Today there are thousands of unreached and unengaged people groups who have yet to hear the gospel. The end has not come because the gospel is not strong enough in many parts of the world to be sufficient testimony to all people groups.

Paul uses "world" colloquially and would be referring to the known world as he knows it but not the entire world as we know it. Mt 24:14 can be said to use similar language of only addressing the known world or the Roman world but withholding the gospel to the "outside world" would actually be inconsistent with the gospel itself.

John 3:16 says "God so loved the word...." what "world" is this? do you think it's "God so loved the Roman world" or do you think this word stretches to all people groups that inhabit even the unknown places of the world? if the latter than it would be consistent to interpret Mt 24:14 in like manner.
Residential Bob said:
Correct. Jesus and Paul are referencing Palestine and the Levant 2,000 years ago.

The gospel was preached in the world 2,000 years ago.

And so to my mind, the gospel is not weak; it is quite strong enough.
DamianWarS said:
Were there unreached ethnos 2000 years ago? Does the word transcend it's colloquial meaning?

If you answer no to both of these then we fundamentally disagree on the scope and design of the Gospel.
parousia70 said:
Well, the Gospel has no expiration date.
It is EVERLASTING. (Revelation 14:6)
It is designed to FOREVER call sinners to Salvation.

That said, it also had a SPECIFIC scope/mission in the 1st century which scripture confirms was completed in the 1st century.
The successful completion of that mission in no way negates its everlasting design.
DamianWarS said:
Were there unreached ethnos 2000 years ago? Does the word transcend it's colloquial meaning?
parousia70 said:
How is that at all relevant to its specific 1st century Mission you seem to agree with when you said:

"Paul uses "world" colloquially and would be referring to the known world as he knows it but not the entire world as we know it. Mt 24:14 can be said to use similar language of only addressing the known world or the Roman world"

If you agree Matthew 24:14 CAN BE SAID to be addressing only the known world, then where or what is your objection exactly?

Do you believe the Gospel is truly EVERLASTING? Or do you believe one day in the future it will cease being preached to sinners on earth, calling them to salvation?
I thought my questions were clear enough, although intended for the OP you are free to answer them. Do you wish me to ask them again?

parousia70 said:
I understand the questions as stated.. I still have no idea how they are relevant to the topic. Thanks for affirming my freedom to address them.
Yes.
No, not in the context both Jesus and Paul used it.
The etymology of a word cannot be expanded beyond the scope of the context it is being used within, when one is determining (or attempting to determine) the specific, or intended meaning of the word within that context.
In other words, Context trumps Etymology.
DamianWarS said:
^_^
parousia70 said:
why this avoidance game? I asked you if "Kosmos" is unique to the Roman world or if it goes beyond it as it pertains to John 3:16. Why not just answer the question? I already know what I think of the text, I'm interested in what you think of the text.
When in doubt, do what the spirit led Preterists do, go to the Greek......

Just found another tie in with Luke's 70ad Temple Jerusalem discourse to Revelation.

G2889 (kosmos), occurs 187 times in 152 verses

Luke 11:50
that the blood of all the prophets,
that is being poured forth from the foundation<2602> of the world<2889>,
may be required from this generation; [Revelation 13:8 Revelation 17:8]

Matthew 23:

31 so that ye testify to yourselves, that ye are sons of them who did murder the prophets;
32 and ye -- ye fill up the measure of your fathers.
35 that on you may come all the righteous blood being poured out on the land<1093>.......

Mat 24:21

for there shall be then great tribulation, such as was not from the beginning of the world<2889> till now, no, nor may be
=====================
G2889 used only 3 times in the entire book of Revelation, 2 of those in reference to the book of life:

Revelation 11:15
And the seventh Messenger trumpets, and became great voices in the heaven, saying,
"Became the kingdom of the world<2889> of the Lord of us and of the Christ of Him,
and He shall be reigning into the ages of the ages. Amen

Revelation 13:8
And shall be worshiping all the ones dwelling upon the land of those not written his name in the scroll of the of the life of the lambkin<721>,
of the One having been slain/slaughtered<4969 from foundation<2602> of world<2889>

Revelation 17:8
“The beast which thou saw was and not is, and is being about to be ascending out of the Abyss and into destruction<684> to be going away<5217>.
And shall be marveling the one dwelling upon the land of whom not has been written the names upon the scroll of the life from foundation<2602> of world<2889>
observing the Beast that was and not is and shall be being<3918>

The Great City/Harlot/Queen Revelation chapts 17-19

302660_c2760f5cc7d57e7088338ce451af705b.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I take the view that "ethnos" means all ethnic groups. Which means the gospel has not gone into all the world yet. Not only that, but I have history and actual present day reality on my side. Not all of the world is evangelised. Unless you would like to argue that every people group on the planet has been evangelised.

Romans 1:8 does not say that all the world is reached, only that the Romans' faith is being proclaimed to all the world. It still is, by the way.

Colossians 1:23. Given that neither of us were born yet when Paul penned these words, it seems reasonable to assume that you can't take it as literally as you are implying. The word used there is creation, not ethnos or Matthew 24:14's use of the word "earth" and "nations".

I'd be happy to be preterist views but unfortunately I can't find rational reason, based upon the large amount of suffering experienced in this present world, to go with it. Reason, experience, Bible... these three intersect to form a healthy theology.
Well, why are you perusing the Internet? You have some work to do.

And by work, I mean a lot of work. Even the Bayaka people of the Central African Republic have encountered Westerners and Christianity.

Or maybe your work will be easy. If and when you do find a people group that has not been reached, surely you will encounter boatloads of other Christian missionaries who felt the same sense of urgency as you and who are living in their huts and telling Bible stories with gestures.

Upvote 0