Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I don't know how many times I have read the BoM. I'd say it is something between seven and twelve times. Currently I am re-reading the New Testament consecutively, which I must confess is only the third time I have done it this way, usually I read it book by book all over the place, so the actual number of times is much higher than that, however some books I read more frequently than others. The OT I have read twice, but then again, the same deal applies.

In all this reading I have never come across a single contradiction between the Bible and the BoM. Oh, I have found contradictions between interpretation, but applying that rule means the OT contradicts the new in many places.

So the question is: [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Where does the Book of Mormon contradict the Bible?

I mean, I hear it said so often, but no one ever seems to be willing to step up to the plate and say here it is. So, I'm opening it up for discussion. Please post your quotations from the Book of Mormon only. Please also show which verses contradict which biblical passages. Remember, if I can show Biblical quotations in support of that, your lone verse will have to be reconciled with those quotations as well - eg faith and works.

Oh. To keep things simple. Please don't use the shotgun approach. Limit it to ten quotes at a time. I will assume you will choose your BEST ten and won't assume that you don't have others. Naturally then if I can discredit your BEST ten the others won't be very difficult at all.
[/font]

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Swart said:
So the question is: [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Where does the Book of Mormon contradict the Bible?

I mean, I hear it said so often, but no one ever seems to be willing to step up to the plate and say here it is.

I don't want to get into a micturating contest but I think this statement is blatantly false. In the 3+ years I have been here I have seen many specific examples of contradictions posted. And here is the first hit when I googled on "contradictions book of mormon."
[SIZE=-1]Contradictions Between the
Book of Mormon and the Bible.

Copyright © 1999 Institute for Religious Research. All rights reserved.

[Edited by moderator]

http://www.irr.org/mit/bombible.html[/SIZE]​

A few more links for your perusal. There is one I found myself, in a quote from Isaiah, but don't feel like looking of now.

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/bibleandbomcontradictions.htm

http://www.apologeticspress.org/modules.php?name=Read&itemid=1777&cat=3

http://www.solomonspalding.com/docs/sund1838.htm

http://www.godandscience.org/cults/

http://www.bcmmin.org/bomsweb.html

http://www.equip.org/free/DT075.pdf

http://www.churches-of-christ.net/tracts/job081u.htm

http://www.equip.org/free/DM192.pdf

http://www.christianlibrary.org/authors/Brian_Yeager/denominationalism/mormanismstudyof.htm

Upvote 0

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Der Alter said:
I don't want to get into a micturating contest but I think this statement is blatantly false. In the 3+ years I have been here I have seen many specific examples of contradictions posted. And here is the first hit when I googled on "contradictions book of mormon."
[size=-1]<snip>
http://www.irr.org/mit/bombible.html[/size]​

I will print these out and get back to you.

Upvote 0

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Der Alter said:
[size=-1]1. The Book of Mormon teaches that little children are not capable of sin because they do not have a sinful nature (Moroni 8:8). In contrast, the Bible in Psalm 51:5 clearly teaches that we have sinful nature from birth: "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me" (NIV). (This does not mean that those who die in infancy are lost.*)[/size]​

[size=-1]Jesus certainly disagreed with that interpretation:
[Bible]Mark 10:14[/Bible]
Without quoting, Paul teaches in Romans that sin is a conscious act and those without law are without sin. Little children are without law.

Psalms is referring to original sin which was paid for by Christ without obligation. Also note that the Psalms are poetic works and were never meant to be interpreted beyond their immediate meaning, which in this case is to extol that none can claim to be righteous.
[/size]
Der Alter said:
[size=-1]2. The Book of Mormon teaches that the disobedience of Adam and Eve in eating the forbidden fruit was necessary so that they could have children and bring joy to mankind (2 Nephi 2:23-25). In contrast, the Bible specifically declares that Adam’s transgression was a sinful act of rebellion that unleashed the power of sin and death in the human heart and throughout God’s perfect world (Genesis 3:16-19; Romans 5:12; 8:20-21). There is no Biblical support for the view that Adam and Eve could only fulfill the command to "be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:28) by disobeying God’s command regarding the forbidden fruit (Genesis 2:17). The Book of Mormon teaching that these divine commands are contradictory, and that God expected Adam and Eve to figure out that in reality He wanted them to break the latter command ("of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it") in order to keep the former ("be fruitful and multiply"), has no basis in logic or the Biblical text, and attributes equivocation to God.
[/size]​

This is a non-sequiter. The BoM only contradicts the interpretation here. Remember, it is biblical contradiction we are looking for not biblical support. Follow the logic:
  1. Without partaking of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, Adam and Eve could not sin, they could only transgress.
  2. By partaking pof the fruit, sin and death entered the world.
  3. It is only through death that procreation is possible and the only way the first instruction could be followed.
  4. You cannot demonstrate from the Bible that this is NOT the case.
Der Alter said:
[size=-1]3. The Book of Mormon teaches that black skin is a sign of God’s curse, so that white-skinned people are considered morally and spiritually superior to black skinned people (2 Nephi 5:21). In contrast, the Bible teaches that God "made of one blood all nations of men" (Acts 17:26, KJV), that in Christ distinctions of ethnicity, gender and social class are erased (Galatians 3:28), and that God condemns favoritism (James 2:1).
[/size]​
This is untrue. The BoM does not teach that.
Der Alter said:
[size=-1]4. The Book of Mormon teaches that, "it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" (2 Nephi 25:23; see also Moroni 10:32). In contrast, the Bible teaches that apart from Christ we are dead in sin (Ephesians 2:1,5) and unable to do anything to merit forgiveness and eternal life. Salvation is wholly of grace (Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 11:6; Titus 3:5-6), not by grace plus works. Good works are a result, not the basis, of a right relationship with God (Ephesians 2:10).
[/size]​

There is no contradiction here:
[Bible]2 Timothy 4:14[/Bible]
[Bible]Titus 1:16[/Bible]
[Bible]James 2:14-24[/Bible]
[Bible]Matthew 7:21[/Bible]
[Bible]1 Peter 1:17[/Bible]
[Bible]Revelations 20:12-13[/Bible]

Quite simply, we are saved by the Grace of God through our faith in Christ and are judged according to our works.
Der Alter said:
[size=-1]
5. According to the Book of Mormon, about 600 years before Christ, a Nephite prophet predicted that "many plain and precious parts" (1 Nephi 13:26-28) would be removed from the Bible. In contrast, from the Bible it is clear that during His earthly ministry, Jesus himself constantly quoted from the Old Testament Scriptures, and showed full confidence in their completeness and accurate transmission as they had survived down to His time. Jesus declared that "heaven and earth shall pass away, but my word shall not pass away" (Mark 13:31; see also Matthew 5:18), and promised His disciples who were to pen the New Testament that the Holy Ghost "shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you" (John 14:26); Jesus further promised the apostles that they would "bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain" (John 15:16). These promises clearly imply that the fruit of the apostles — the New Testament Scriptures and the Christian church — would endure.
[/size]​

Again. Non sequiter. This is an interpretation only. For this reason to be valid then the entire world of Christendom would accept sola scriptura, which they don't.

The scriptures quoted have nothing to do with Biblical inerrancy.

Der Alter said:
[size=-1]6. According to a Book of Mormon prophecy (Helaman 14:27), at the time of Christ’s crucifixion "darkness should cover the face of the whole earth for the space of three days." In contrast, the New Testament gospel accounts declare repeatedly that there was darkness for only three hours while Jesus was on the cross (Matthew 27:45; Mark 15:33; Luke 23:44).
[/size]​

Now this is really lame. Duh. This would have been an easy one for JS to have covered if the BoM was a forgery. We are talking about separate geographic locations. The occurrences obviosly varied because there were different locations.

Der Alter said:
[size=-1] An earlier prophecy in 1 Nephi 19:10 implies the three days of darkness will be more than regional in scope for it says this sign will be "unto those who inhabit the isles of the sea, more especially given unto those who are of the house of Israel." The darkness then would extend over the ocean to the islands and reach as far as Israel in the Middle East.
<snip>
[/size]​

Now you are interpreting the BoM for us? And complaining when your interpretation of our scriptures is different from your interpretation of the Bible? Come on now! I expected better than this!

Der Alter said:
[size=-1]7. The Book of Mormon people are said to have observed "all things according to the law of Moses (2 Nephi 5:10; 25:24). However, although they are supposed to have been Hebrews, they were descendents of the tribe of Joseph (1 Nephi 5:17) or Manasseh (Alma 10:3), not the tribe of Levi and family line of Aaron, as the Law of Moses dictates (Numbers 3:10; Exodus 29:9; Numbers 18:1-7), so they would not have had a legitimate priesthood.
[/size]​

Surprisingly, this is the first good question. One commentary I have read concludes the following:

"Lehi traced his genealogy through Joseph, not Levi, and therefore was not a Levite, and therefore not one of the line of priests who should be offering sacrifices. In addition to the obvious ability of the Lord to provide whatever priesthood is necessary for his prophets, it is also probably that Lehi was engaged in sacrifices which did not require Levites. Indeed, from what can be discerned of noted sacrifices in the Book of Mormon, they were not those which would have required a Levite. Clark Goble discusses the possible nature of the Law of Moses in the New World:

"It may be that they formed a rather unique version of the Law of Moses - one without the sacrifices of the Levites. We have the sacrifice in Mosiah 2:3 fulfilling Ex 13:11-13; Ex 22:29-30; and Dt 15:19-23. But this is a sacrifice that doesn't require Levites, as I understand it. (It is also a very Christological symbol, fitting in with their anticipation of the savior) All the other references to sacrifice in the Book of Mormon refer to the sacrifice of the savior, with the exception of thank- offerings.
1 Ne. 5:9 And it came to pass that they did rejoice exceedingly, and did offer sacrifice and burnt offerings unto the Lord; and they gave thanks unto the God of Israel.
These thank-offerings also didn't require a Levite. (Note the parallelism ephasizing that the offerings are thank-offerings) See for example Judges 6:20-27; Judges 13:19-20; 1 Samuel 14:34-35 or 1 Samuel 9 where a prophet, like Lehi, is present." (Clark Goble, "Lehi's Authority" 2 June 1996, Scripture-L)."

Der Alter said:
[size=-1] 8. According to the Book of Mormon, there were many high priests serving at the same time.
<snip>
[/size]​
[size=-1]

All this is showing is that the Priesthood Organisation was different in the BoM world than in Jerusalem and is really a continuation of seven. There is no contradiction here. Theses were two different places.

[/size][size=-1] [/size]
Der Alter said:
[size=-1]9. The people described in the Book of Mormon operated multiple temples (Alma 16:13; 23:2; 26:29). This violates the dictates of the Old Testament Scriptures on two counts: First, God commanded Israel to build only one temple to reflect that fact that there is only one true God (Deuteronomy 12:5,13-14; 16:5-6). Second, the one legitimate temple was to be built in Jerusalem (Zion), the location designated by God (The Old Testament is filled with explicit references to God choosing Jerusalem [Zion] as the place where "His name would dwell" in the temple: for example, 1 Kings 8:44,48; 11:13,32,36; 14:21; 2 Kings 21:7; 23:27; 1 Chronicles 28:4; 2 Chronicles 6:6; 7:12,16; Psalm 78:68-69; Isaiah 18:7.
[/size]​
[size=-1]
[/size]
[size=-1] [/size]
[size=-1] [/size]Once again we are dealing with non-doctrinal issues between the practices of two diverse groups of people in a different land.
[size=-1] [/size]
[size=-1] [/size][size=-1] [/size]
Der Alter said:
[size=-1]10. The most common biblical terms used to describe the Old Testament priesthood, temple and appointed feasts, are entirely missing from the Book of Mormon. Here are 10 examples of such biblical terms with their frequencies, that never appear once in the Book of Mormon:
[/size]​

Again this shows nothing.

I am very disappointed. I was hoping to see someone post a quotation from the BoM and a quotation from the Bible and say "Look! These two pieces don't fit!" Instead, what I get is "The BoM doesn't fit with my interpretation of the Bible."

From now on, please only post things you have researched yourself. I simply don't have the time to troll through everyone's cut-and-paste. I am not using any secondary resources, so this requires a reasonable amount of work for me.

Upvote 0

Brother Simon

And His name shall be called Wonderful...
Aug 2, 2004
Texas
✟9,744.00
Faith
Catholic
Since the Book of Mormon is mostly plagiarism of the Bible, it may not directly contradict in many areas. However, almost none of the LDS doctrine and beliefs are held in the BoM. Once you start learning these, this is where different gospel becomes preached.

With love,
Simon

Upvote 0

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Brother Simon said:
Since the Book of Mormon is mostly plagiarism of the Bible, it may not directly contradict in many areas.

Aside from direct quotations (which do not constitute plagiarism) from the OT (of which 1/3 of Isaiah is quoted and a couple of chapters of Malachi) plus the sermon on the mount being redelivered to the Nephites. Please explain how the BoM meets the definition of plagiarism, which examples please.

Brother Simon said:
However, almost none of the LDS doctrine and beliefs are held in the BoM. Once you start learning these, this is where different gospel becomes preached.

This is a separate issue entirely. The claim has been made that the BoM contradicts the Bible. There are many groups that accept the BoM as scripture - not just LDS. Discrediting the beliefs of the CoJCoLDS does nothing to discredit the BoM any more than discrediting the beliefs of JWs has in discrediting the Bible.

Since the claim has been made it needs to be substantiated. What passages in the BoM conflict with passages in the Bible? You need to show quote for quote.

Upvote 0

Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not going to debate but what are your views on this verse:

2 Nephi 5:21
And he had caused the acursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be centicing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

God bless you all! :)

Upvote 0

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Freak4JC said:

Are you asking me to impose 21st Century values on ancient scripture?

Today's world is more or less cosmopolitan. For ancient peoples without the benefit of modern technology or methods of travel any racial difference - especially skin colour - would appear strange an unappealing. Did the Lord curse the Lamanites with a black skin or is that just how they interpreted it? We will never know. The Nephites certainly believed that was the case.

Whenever we read ancient scripture it is important to remember that we will encounter things that offend our modern sensibilities. If this causes a problem, then I highly recommend you avoid reading Genesis, Deuteronomy, Judges, Chronicles etc.
[Bible]Genesis 34:34-35[/Bible]
[Bible]Deuteronomy 23:1[/Bible]
[Bible]Deuteronomy 25:11[/Bible]
[Bible]Judges 4:21[/Bible]

Upvote 0

Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Swart said:
Are you asking me to impose 21st Century values on ancient scripture?
No, I was just wondering what that verse meant.

Swart said:
Whenever we read ancient scripture it is important to remember that we will encounter things that offend our modern sensibilities.

Anyway I know what you mean. There are lots of verses that offend people. :) I just wanted you view on that verse.

Swart said:
If this causes a problem, then I highly recommend you avoid reading Genesis, Deuteronomy, Judges, Chronicles etc.
No, that doesn't cause a problem for me.

God bless, Freak4JC

Reactions: Deraj
Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Freak4JC said:

2 Nephi 5:21
And he had caused the acursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be centicing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

God bless you all! :)

FB:The Lord wanted his righteous people to seperate themselves from those who were not righteous. Therefore the Lord made them unpleasing to those that were righteous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not Mormon, but just to be fair:

Why does the Bible contradict the Bible?

Think not that I come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a
sword.
- Matthew 10:28

... all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
- Matthew 26:52
For wrath killeth the foolish man...
- Job 5:2

... let not the sun go down on your wrath.
- Ephesians 4:26
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
- John 3:13

... and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
- 2 Kings 2:11
If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.
- John 5:31

I am one that bear witness of myself...
- John 8:18
[Jesus Christ was the speaker in both of these quotes]
A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children...
- Proverbs 13:22

Sell that ye have and give alms...
- Luke 12:33
Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord... Wealth and riches shall be in his
house...
- Psalms 112:1-3

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich
man to enter the kingdom of God.
- Matthew 19:24
I and my father are one.
- John 10:30

... I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
- John 14:28
[Jesus Christ was the speaker in both of these quotes]
Thou shalt not kill
- Exodus 20:13

Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side... and
slay every man his brother...
- Exodus 32:27
Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy.
- Exodus 20:8

The new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with: it
is iniquity.
- Isaih 3:22
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything
that is in heaven... earth... [or] water.
- Leviticus 26:11

And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make
them.
- Exodus 25:18
For by grace are ye saved through faith... not of works.
- Ephesians 2:8-9

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
- James 2:24
God is not a man, that he should lie: neither the son of man, that he should
repent.
- Numbers 23:19

And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.
- Exodus 32:14
... the hour is coming, in which all that are in the graves shall hear his
voice, and come forth...
- John 5:28-29

As the cloud is consumed and vanisheth away: so he that goeth down to the
grave shall come up no more.
- Job 7:9
... thou shalt give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for
hand, foot for foot, burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.
- Exodus 21:23-25

... resist not evil; but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn
to him the other also.
- Matthew 5:39

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
(Book of Mormon | Mosiah 18:13 - 20)
13 And when he had said these words, the Spirit of the Lord was upon him, and he said: Helam, I baptize thee, having authority from the Almighty God, as a testimony that ye have entered into a covenant to serve him until you are dead as to the mortal body; and may the Spirit of the Lord be poured out upon you; and may he grant unto you eternal life, through the redemption of Christ, whom he has prepared from the foundation of the world.
14 And after Alma had said these words, both Alma and Helam were buried in the water; and they arose and came forth out of the water rejoicing, being filled with the Spirit.
15 And again, Alma took another, and went forth a second time into the water, and baptized him according to the first, only he did not bury himself again in the water.
16 And after this manner he did baptize every one that went forth to the place of Mormon; and they were in number about two hundred and four souls; yea, and they were baptized in the waters of Mormon, and were filled with the grace of God.
17 And they were called the church of God, or the church of Christ, from that time forward. And it came to pass that whosoever was baptized by the power and authority of God was added to his church.
18 And it came to pass that Alma, having authority from God, ordained priests; even one priest to every fifty of their number did he ordain to preach unto them, and to teach them concerning the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.
19 And he commanded them that they should teach nothing save it were the things which he had taught, and which had been spoken by the mouth of the holy prophets.
20 Yea, even he commanded them that they should preach nothing save it were repentance and faith on the Lord, who had redeemed his people.

The BoM records that Alma was the founder of the church of Christ. Here we see an account that could only have taken place after Christ gave himself for sacrifice. The baptism of water and the coming of the Holy Spirit as promised by God were things that pertained to the new covenant and Alma was still under the old covenant.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Tawhano said:
The BoM records that Alma was the founder of the church of Christ. Here we see an account that could only have taken place after Christ gave himself for sacrifice. The baptism of water and the coming of the Holy Spirit as promised by God were things that pertained to the new covenant and Alma was still under the old covenant.
If you have knowledge that something is going to happen, and that knowledge requires action, are we not beholden to act?

I believe that that is the essence of "the law" as spoken about by Paul. Those that are without the law are without it because they have no knowledge about it. Christ died for the sins of all, not just the sins of those who came after Him. If one knew that Christ would come and offer himself up as a ransom for our sins, I feel that one is then under the new covenant, and the same requirements apply.

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Abbadon said:
I'm not Mormon, but just to be fair:

Why does the Bible contradict the Bible?

Think not that I come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a
sword.
- Matthew 10:28

... all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
- Matthew 26:52

Don’t tell me you are serious?

There are in fact contradictions in the Bible caused by mistranslations that are well known and frequently debated but none of the examples you gave contradict one another. Most contradictions are caused by misinterpretations by people who are reading the scriptures in light of their religious beliefs or unbelievers in their unbelief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Abbadon

Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Tawhano said:
Don’t tell me you are serious?

There are in fact contradictions in the Bible caused by mistranslations that are well known and frequently debated but none of the examples you gave contradict one another. Most contradictions are caused by misinterpretations by people who are reading the scriptures in light of their religious beliefs or unbelievers in their unbelief.

Don't tell me you are serious!

I'm guessing you think the Bible is the literal word of God (TM).

What I got that from was using the King James.

Literally, there are contradictions, that is because all religious works were written by humans.

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
daneel said:
2Ti 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

for clarification

<><

... is given by inspiration of God...
This doesn't mean that man didn't screw up writing it down originally. Or that the original authors misunderstand it.

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Abbadon said:

Don't tell me you are serious!

I'm guessing you think the Bible is the literal word of God (TM).

What I got that from was using the King James.

Literally, there are contradictions, that is because all religious works were written by humans.

Yep, I’m serious; I don’t see it. Pick one of your contradictions and explain why you think it is contradictory and we can go from there. The first two you quoted aren’t even related. The sword in Matthew 10 isn’t even a literal sword.

Abbadon said:
religious works were written by humans

And you of course have the market on the real truth right?

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Tawhano said:
Yep, I’m serious; I don’t see it. Pick one of your contradictions and explain why you think it is contradictory and we can go from there. The first two you quoted aren’t even related. The sword in Matthew 10 isn’t even a literal sword.

Fair enough:
"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
- John 3:13
... and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
- 2 Kings 2:11"
Wait, noone went to heaven, oh, no Elijah did, but the other passage says noone has. Which is it?

"If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.
- John 5:31
I am one that bear witness of myself...
- John 8:18
[Jesus Christ was the speaker in both of these quotes]"
Jesus says that he can't bear witness to Himself, then He says that he will bear witness to himself. Which is it?

"A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children...
- Proverbs 13:22
Sell that ye have and give alms...
- Luke 12:33"
How can you leave inheritance to your kids when you gave everything away?

"I and my father are one.
- John 10:30
... I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
- John 14:28
[Jesus Christ was the speaker in both of these quotes]"
If Jesus and His Father are the same, then how can one be greater than the other?

"Thou shalt not kill
- Exodus 20:13
Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side... and
slay every man his brother...
- Exodus 32:27"
We've been ordered not to kill, but apparently the ancient Hebrews had a license to kill.

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything
that is in heaven... earth... [or] water.
- Leviticus 26:11
And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make
them.
- Exodus 25:18"
Were the ancient Hebrews supposed to make graven images of the Cherubim? They were told not to make a graven image of anything on Heaven or Earth, but were commanded to make statues of Cherubim.

This is just the tip of the iceburg, check out "A call to heresy" by Trevor Blake. Just Google "A call to heresy", you'll find it.

Why should the Bible be interpreted literally if there are contradictions, it advocates slavery, says that women should be subserviant to men? Provide proof outside of the Bible that the Bible is the literal word of God (TM).

Tawhano said:
And you of course have the market on the real truth right?

I don't have the market on the real truth, I just know that noone else does, either.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.