Where does the Bible authorize ministries such as..

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you mean that since all the Bible writings were to people 2000 years ago or before (and none are still alive, to the best of my knowledge), that the Bible doesn't authorize any ministries in modern times?

Reactions: XRho
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jimmy swaggart ministry, I don't see his name in the Bible???
2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

I am not exactly sure what the point of your question is.
Maybe you could define it a little more?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Not one of the popes names nor their anti-Scripture activities / practices/ traditions
is in the Bible either. (except maybe by accident? / or to expose them?)

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder where the idea of apostolic succession of God's authority came from. It certainly wasn't from Jesus or the Father. That would mean that God chooses to associate himself with someone chosen by men—someone not trained, experienced, or wise the same way as the ones God chose himself. Not going to happen. It is men who must choose to associate themselves with God. Every individual, and every part of a community.

Upvote 0

Protestantismvsthebible

Jun 29, 2018
Dallas
✟5,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I wonder where the idea of apostolic succession of God's authority came from. It certainly wasn't from Jesus or the Father. That would mean that God chooses to associate himself with someone chosen by men—someone not trained, experienced, or wise the same way as the ones God chose himself. Not going to happen. It is men who must choose to associate themselves with God. Every individual, and every part of a community.

The Church!
The new & eternal covenant!
The kingdom, vineyard, household of faith and new Jerusalem!

One, Holy, Catholic, & Apostolic!

One: Unity of faith! Unity of the body of Christ!

Holy: because her founder was Holy, and she sanctifies!

Catholic: universal communion of saints thru baptism!

Apostolic: Founded by Christ on the apostles to continue His mission with His power & with His authority!
Mt 16:18, Mt 28:19, Jn 20:21
Apostles means one who is sent, as in acts 2 Peter and the apostles choose Mathias to take the place of Judas, and so on to the apostles of our day! Apostolic succession!

The Church is the body of Christ!
The same power, authority, & mission!
Jn 10:16 He that heareth you (the church or the Apostles) heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me.

Jn 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Mt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Jn 8:42 And ye (the Apostles, the church) shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Jn 16:13 when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth:

The church is the Way, the Truth, & the Life cos it is His Church!

Upvote 0

Protestantismvsthebible

Jun 29, 2018
Dallas
✟5,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not one of the popes names nor their anti-Scripture activities / practices/ traditions
is in the Bible either. (except maybe by accident? / or to expose them?)

The Church!
The new & eternal covenant!
The kingdom, vineyard, household of faith and new Jerusalem!

One, Holy, Catholic, & Apostolic!

One: Unity of faith! Unity of the body of Christ!

Holy: because her founder was Holy, and she sanctifies!

Catholic: universal communion of saints thru baptism!

Apostolic: Founded by Christ on the apostles to continue His mission with His power & with His authority!
Apostles means one who is sent, as in acts 2 Peter and the apostles choose Mathias to take the place of Judas, and so on to the apostles of our day! Apostolic succession!

The Church is the body of Christ!
The same power, authority, & mission!
Jn 10:16 He that heareth you (the church or the Apostles) heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me.

Jn 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Mt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Jn 8:42 And ye (the Apostles, the church) shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Jn 16:13 when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth:

The church is the Way, the Truth, & the Life cos it is His Church!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All true Christian ministry falls under what we call 'the Great Commission' that Jesus gives in Matthew 28:16-20

18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Each person is to share the gospel as they go about their daily living. Mark says it this way:
Mark 16:15 Then he told them, "As you go into all the world, proclaim the gospel to everyone. ... Then Jesus said to them, "So wherever you go in the world, tell everyone the good news...

GOD has different ministries for different believers:

Ephesians 4:11 (BBE) And he gave some as Apostles, and some, prophets; and some, preachers of the good news; and some to give care and teaching;For the training of the saints as servants in the church, for the building up of the body of Christ:

And Luke tells us about Jesus' saying that if they are preaching Christ, leave them alone (GOD will sort the chaff from the wheat later on).

9:49“Master,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in Your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not accompany us.” 50“Do not stop him, Jesus replied, “for whoever is not against you is for you.”

Matthew 3:12 "His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

Matthew 7:21-22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?,,,

Not every one that said to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom …

The bottom line is to be wary of those who are apostates, who distort the Scriptures, and do not follow them, but if they are preaching God's Word (even in ignorance or self-glorification) then let them because God uses His Word and all sorts of people to spread it!

Isaiah 55:11
so shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see any of the Pope's names in the Bible either.

So I guess Jimmy Swaggart would get his authorization from the same place as your Pope does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see any of the Pope's names in the Bible either.

So I guess Jimmy Swaggart would get his authorization from the same place as your Pope does.
My problem with Jimmy Swaggert is that when he had his scandal the Assemblies of God denomination suspended his license to preach for six months. He came back after three months. If you are caught in a sin like this, you need to submit to church discipline. I don't know if he thinks he's too important to listen to those in authority or what but that seemed really wrong to me.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My problem with Jimmy Swaggert is that when he had his scandal the Assemblies of God denomination suspended his license to preach for six months. He came back after three months. If you are caught in a sin like this, you need to submit to church discipline. I don't know if he thinks he's too important to listen to those in authority or what but that seemed really wrong to me.
I don't know a lot about Jimmy Swaggart. All I know is that he used to be heavy on preaching of the law and after he was caught with prostitutes he came back as a grace centered preacher.
I really don't know much about his theology at all.
But I don't think that was the point of the OP, for his argument he could have picked the name of any Protestant minister.
He would not have picked the name of any Catholic minister as that would not serve what he is trying to do: bring division into the Body of Christ. You can tell this by his username. He has something against Protestants, despite the fact that we are in the Body of Christ just as much as he is if he has repented and believed the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not to mention that God has raised every follower of Jesus to be seated with Christ on the throne of his authority (Ephesians 2:6, 1:20), and their spiritual authority is greater than that of every human thing.

Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. (Matthew 21:21, 1984 NIV)

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20, 1984 NIV)

And faith only comes from God (Ephesians 2:8). It does not come from a human decision.

My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power. (1 Corinthians 2:4-5, 1984 NIV)

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,112,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would say that seeing they were Jews that the lots spoke of here were done in a Jewish tradition. Which wasn't always what we would see as voting. The scripture says that the Roman soldier cast lots for Jesus' robe, rather like dice. But I don't see where that was a Jewish tradition or would ever meet their spiritual views. When they used lots it was with prayer for the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Lev 16:6 and Aaron hath brought near the bullock of the sin-offering which is his own, and hath made atonement for himself, and for his house;
Lev 16:7 and he hath taken the two goats, and hath caused them to stand before Jehovah, at the opening of the tent of meeting.

Lev 16:8 `And Aaron hath given lots over the two goats, one lot for Jehovah, and one lot for a goat of departure;
Lev 16:9 and Aaron hath brought near the goat on which the lot for Jehovah hath gone up, and hath made it a sin-offering.
Lev 16:10 `And the goat on which the lot for a goat of departure hath gone up is caused to stand living before Jehovah to make atonement by it, to send it away for a goat of departure into the wilderness.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/10123-lots

Sometimes stones and vessels were used. In this case it is possible that each of the eleven wrote a name or mark representing Joseph or Matthias and put it in a vessel. A second vessel might hold only two stones, one having the word Apostle or a mark for such and the other blank, etc. One person might take one stone from each vessel, in this case they would have drawn Matthias and Apostle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brocke

Supreme Ruler of Universe
Mar 13, 2014
Illinois
✟12,410.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

Actually it comes from Old Testament times with examples of Elijah and Elisha and the passing of the mantel. For Christianity the Apostles started the apostolic succession Christ told them to go out and do as he did making disciples to preach and do as he did. So the succession of ordaining ministers supposedly follows a trail back to Jesus and the 12 disciples.

Are you wanting to discuss where the succession my have been broken in Church history?

Upvote 0