Where did Cain find his wife? (his sister?)

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
His wife was his sister.
This was normal up until the law of Leviticus. It is only at that point that God brings in laws to do with inter family marriage. My guess is because of mutations.
Abraham was married to his half sister and at that time this was legal and normal.
Something only becomes sinful once God deems it to be sinful.

People need to stop looking at this with 2021 eyes and realize the time and culture was different. God put his laws upon our hearts, so that we naturally find incest repulsive. Before that it was seen as completely normal.
Society changes and what was once abhorrent is viewed as normal and what once was normal can be viewed as abhorrent.
My idea on the matter comes from what I believe is in line with most of the evidence, both Biblical evidence and other evidence etc, and is the most reasonable and logical conclusion based on that I think, etc, and has absolutely nothing at all to do with my thoughts on incest, etc, for we all know it happened a lot, or fairly often back then...

And there is just simply no evidence at all that Cain married his sister or even had a sister that he could have married before he killed Abel and fled, probably pretty far away, also, etc... Not any mention of him taking a wife or family with him either or also, etc... And I think the Bible would mention it if he did, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My idea on the matter comes from what I believe is in line with most of the evidence, both Biblical evidence and other evidence etc, and is the most reasonable and logical conclusion based on that I think, etc, and has absolutely nothing at all to do with my thoughts on incest, etc, for we all know it happened a lot, or fairly often back then...

And there is just simply no evidence at all that Cain married his sister or even had a sister that he could have married before he killed Abel and fled, probably pretty far away, also, etc... Not any mention of him taking a wife or family with him either or also, etc... And I think the Bible would mention it if he did, etc...

God Bless!

Marrying ones sister was normal so why would he have not married her? It wasn't something that needed to be mentioned. We need to put aside our modern mind set that says "eww incest." it wasn't incest at that point in time. Incest was not a thing.

If it wasn't his sister than it was another close family member. Nothing odd or abnormal about that, at that time.
There was no such thing as incest in the beginning. We should not even be thinking of it as incest. That is a modern mind set.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Marrying ones sister was normal so why would he have not married her? It wasn't something that needed to be mentioned. We need to put aside our modern mind set that says "eww incest." it wasn't incest at that point in time. Incest was not a thing.

If it wasn't his sister than it was another close family member. Nothing odd or abnormal about that, at that time.
There was no such thing as incest in the beginning. We should not even be thinking of it as incest. That is a modern mind set.
Did you just completely ignore or even bother reading my posts, or what...?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Look, you know what, nevermind...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

There more than likely "was no sister", until after Seth, and Cain had already killed Abel and moved far away (and took his new wife from there)...

Again, has absolutely nothing at all to do with my, or anyone else's thoughts on incest, etc...

And if you missed that already, then maybe you have a reading comprehension problem maybe, etc...?

Anyway,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

OK, if it wasn't incest, then what is it, or what was it exactly, etc...?

Cause I believe in just calling a spade a spade, so to speak, etc...

And I would also like to point out very clearly that "this" has absolutely nothing to do with the OP or this conversation also, etc, the issue at hand here is if Adam and Eve had any other children while or before or during the time that Cain killed Abel, and then ran away, or before Seth was, etc, cause that's the topic of conversation here actually, etc, and then also the fact that the Bible doesn't mention it at all until after that point, etc, and then it does, etc, but only after, etc...

So where did Cain get his wife from? is also the topic of conversation here, and it's not at all about the subject of incest, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,876.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Guess that standards of morality are relative to the time and place. Who would have known...

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There more than likely "was no sister", until after Seth, and Cain had already killed Abel and moved far away (and took his new wife from there)...

Again, has absolutely nothing at all to do with my, or anyone else's thoughts on incest, etc...

And if you missed that already, then maybe you have a reading comprehension problem maybe, etc...?

Anyway,

God Bless!
Not sure why you are repeating my post over and over, are you okay?
But yes I read your post.
"here is just simply no evidence at all that Cain married his sister"

Which is why my reply is
There is no evidence to say it wasn't his sister or half sister and why couldn't it have been his sister? If it wasn't his sister it was another family member. I don't see that it matters how exactly they were related but they certainly were. For that matter we are all related since we are all descendants of Adam and Eve. As a creationist I have no issue on the passage. You are likewise free to believe what you like.

Peace.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Guess that standards of morality are relative to the time and place. Who would have known...

The standards of society change back and forth.

Killing and sticking your enemies head on a pole for all to see was considered a fine thing to do at one point in time.
Now that would be considered a war crime.
I bet if the world is still going in a thousand years things would have changed in other ways that we could not even fathom but they will view as normal.

Upvote 0

TedT

Member since Job 38:7
Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Holy smokes!!! Eve sounds like she's pumping out kids like a factory. :D
???? A kid a year is old school especially when you've been ordered to fill the world... any way, these are obviously the top available numbers...just to give a notion of what might have been available, not as an estimate of true numbers.

Given 130 years the numbers can be staggering even if she only bears babies every two years for only, say, 12-20 years...with everyone else in the same numbers it is still staggering what can happen, billions...I got the math but I can't do it, :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TedT

Member since Job 38:7
Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess you think it is possible that Cain and Abel had a sister at that time....
So who the h.e. double ll did the the other people come from? Do you believe there was neanderthals but Adam was the first human??? Heard this before but too weird, sigh.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,876.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The standards of society change back and forth.

Killing and sticking your enemies head on a pole for all to see was considered a fine thing to do at one point in time.
Now that would be considered a war crime.
I bet if the world is still going in a thousand years things would have changed in other ways that we could not even fathom but they will view as normal.

I agree. You need to explain this to those who subscribe to an absolute morality.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. You need to explain this to those who subscribe to an absolute morality.

I believe in the morality that God sets down for us. But that doesn't mean I can't see and comment on how society changes. I am not advocating for those changes, just stating that this is how it is.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm doing just fine, see here for my main problem right now, etc...

To the thread that just disappeared here, can't remember who by, here is/was my reply, etc...?

God Bless!
And just in case any other "alternative others" (see what I just linked) are interested, here is some of my other posts in other threads/forums, and a few links also, etc...

See also the OP in this one also, etc, and the two other links provided in the post linked also, and the post linked also, etc: Genesis and Creation, Days are long "ages" ect...?

See also the following posts of mine after this one linked in this one also, etc: If Theistic Evolution, how long did day 7 last?

And as for the one I just linked in the post above this one, see the OP in it as well, etc...

Oh, and, just the one post linked in this one as well, etc, no links, just the one single post in this one, etc: If theistic evolution, how did animals die before humans existed?

And all that combined should give you a lot of information, etc, and feel free also to post and/or comment there also, if you wish, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It suddenly occurred to me that there's probably a Jewish tradition about this. And there is. Cain's wife was Awan, one of his sisters.

Here she is: Awan (religious figure) - Wikipedia

There's more, from here: Cain - Wikipedia

Such exegesis of Genesis 4 introduced Cain's wife as being his sister, a concept that has been accepted for at least 1,800 years.[18] This can be seen with Jubilees 4 which narrates that Cain settled down and married his sister Awan, who bore their first son, the first Enoch, approximately 196 years after the creation of Adam. Cain then establishes the first city, naming it after his son, builds a house, and lives there until it collapses on him, killing him.[19]​

I've blanked it out my previous post; this knowledge supersedes it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JohnClay
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But if Adam and Eve had a child each year and these children started to have their own children at age 15 or so, in a very short time, 125 years, (out of a 900 year lifespan that is) the exponential increase would be huge with 125 years being between 9 and 10 generations, on the order of between 20 billion and 289 billion people in this model.

So, if Cain and Abel were born during Adam and Eve's 100 year on earth, it might have had a very large population indeed by that time.

Could you show your working please?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It suddenly occurred to me that there's probably a Jewish tradition about this. And there is. Cain's wife was Awan, one of his sisters.

Here she is: Awan (religious figure) - Wikipedia

There's more, from here: Cain - Wikipedia

Such exegesis of Genesis 4 introduced Cain's wife as being his sister, a concept that has been accepted for at least 1,800 years.[18] This can be seen with Jubilees 4 which narrates that Cain settled down and married his sister Awan, who bore their first son, the first Enoch, approximately 196 years after the creation of Adam. Cain then establishes the first city, naming it after his son, builds a house, and lives there until it collapses on him, killing him.[19]​

I've blanked it out my previous post; this knowledge supersedes it.
Well, this is how reliable "Jewish traditions" are or were, etc...

This from "other stories" on your link about Cain...

In Jewish tradition, Philo, Pirke De-Rabbi Eliezer and the Targum Pseudo-Jonathan asserted that Adam was not the father of Cain. Rather, Eve was subject to adultery having been seduced by either Sammael,[21][22] the serpent[23] (nahash, Hebrew: נחש‎) in the Garden of Eden,[24] or the devil himself.[17] Christian exegesis of the "evil one" in 1 John 3:10–12 have also led some commentators, like Tertullian, to agree that Cain was the son of the devil[25] or some fallen angel. Thus, according to some interpreters, Cain was half-human and half-angelic, one of the Nephilim. Gnostic exegesis in the Apocryphon of John has Eve seduced by Yaldaboth. However, in the Hypostasis of the Archons, Eve is raped by a pair of Archons.[26]

Now do you believe "any of that", etc, because I don't, etc, and it seems like they are taking quite a bit or "liberty", and way, way too much "liberty", with the Bible and what it actually says, or rather, "does not say at all", etc...

I still think he had no sister, etc...

And the Bible specifically warns us repeatedly about "traditions" especially Old Jewish ones, etc, calling them "artfully contrived fables or false stories", etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0