Alberta
✟16,163.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you the type of person that needs to buy a video game as soon as it comes out or can you wait awhile before you buy a game? I usually wait until Black Friday and the Christmas sales before I buy video games. I find you can get as much as 80% off games in the digital stores on the PS4 so thats when I load up on games and then play them throughout the year. I'm a bit slow when it comes to buying games because of that but it works for me :)

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I use to buy games when they came out if it was something I was looking forward to etc. before places like steam existed or at least became popular. But since then I have greatly been disappointed by PC games as a whole. And usually wait for them to come on sale.

And I have been into some games like City of Heroes / Villains that was once a subscription MMO/ MMPORG, that came back from the dead (canceled and gone for 8 years but brought back as a volunteer effort) and is free to play etc.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,820.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I prefer to buy indie games when they are relatively new. Any "big games" are bought when all patches and DLCs came out, and then I usually wait for the next sale.

But mostly I no longer buy games. Most games I play are free to play these days.

Reactions: MBM888
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I wait now days for the bugs to be worked out, and the game to go on sale usually.

Very rarely there are developers who have earned my trust, and I'll buy their games upon release after seeing gameplay on YouTube, and very very rarely I'll pre-order. I'll ONLY pre-order if I've seen a substantial amount of continuous gameplay prior to release as I've had too many bad experiences over the past 5-7 years.

• Winner
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

MBM888

Jan 29, 2021
Montgomery
✟8,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My hubby is usually up on all the gaming deals throughout the year, so I feel like there's a constant influx of new or used games.

(When I say "all the deals", I mean AAAAALL the deals! Best Buy, Gamestop, Ebay, Target...whatever! He's just really great with that sort of thing, and has his own way of taking care of the cost.)

Upvote 0

MBM888

Jan 29, 2021
Montgomery
✟8,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wait now days for the bugs to be worked out, and the game to go on sale usually.

Very rarely there are developers who have earned my trust, and I'll buy their games upon release after seeing gameplay on YouTube, and very very rarely I'll pre-order. I'll ONLY pre-order if I've seen a substantial amount of continuous gameplay prior to release as I've had too many bad experiences over the past 5-7 years.

Unfortunately, it's getting to be that way more and more. :/ I don't dare get excited about one anymore, because my heart's been broken too often. (Looking at you, Bethesda!) I don't know what the deal is with these big companies anymore. Maybe they've gotten too big for their britches.

• Agree
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, it's getting to be that way more and more. :/ I don't dare get excited about one anymore, because my heart's been broken too often. (Looking at you, Bethesda!) I don't know what the deal is with these big companies anymore. Maybe they've gotten too big for their britches.

I think it's a combination of things, but mostly greed imo. The investors who are financing these large projects want high, and quick ROIs. It doesn't make things easier that the games in the modern era are much more complex than they were 25 years ago as well, and so it makes for a much larger margin of error possible. Then some are just horribly mismanaged as well **ahem**Bethesda, EA**ahem**.

I'm sure there's much more than that as for the causes, and problems in the industry today, but those are the big ones that I hear cited often.

Reactions: MBM888
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,077.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Unless it's something I really want, I don't mind waiting for an online sale or if I see it cheap in a store. In the long run it saves you a lot of money and time to buy it cheap and usually they've fixed launch problems by that point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Are you the type of person that needs to buy a video game as soon as it comes out or can you wait awhile before you buy a game? I usually wait until Black Friday and the Christmas sales before I buy video games. I find you can get as much as 80% off games in the digital stores on the PS4 so thats when I load up on games and then play them throughout the year. I'm a bit slow when it comes to buying games because of that but it works for me :)

I have a huge backlog of games, so there is not a pressing reasons for me to get games when they are new, especially when they will likely be heavily discounted in a year or two. Furthermore, games are now commonly being released in an incomplete state where they are still working on bugs and still have planned DLC, so patience is rewarded.

Upvote 0

Walking the Path

Feb 11, 2021
Midlands
✟16,020.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If there is a game I want, or have been waiting for, I will buy it. Mind you, I refuse to pay £80+ ($110) on a game, so in that case I would wait for it to come on sale.

Upvote 0

Dreams65

Mar 13, 2021
Hessen
✟24,115.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you the type of person that needs to buy a video game as soon as it comes out or can you wait awhile before you buy a game?

That depends on the title. There are a couple of games I would buy as soon as they are released. Most games that I purchase on Steam I purchase during the holidays, that's when the prices are drastically reduced.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm definitely an outlier here. I buy several games a month...sometimes more than one each week. I also intentionally buy bad games and games where I'm not the target audience (e.g. Barbie Puppy Rescue)

I don't usually pre-order, but I'll buy some games at launch if I've been waiting for them to release.

I develop games and I teach people how to develop games. Also, I collect games and consoles.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Most of the times I wait. Unless I’m over come with the urge to buy.

Never pre order anymore.

Upvote 0

CMDRExorcist

Theology Explorer
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2011
Texas
Visit site
✟152,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I rarely buy games when they first release. I like to wait until the prices drop and either catch them on a sale or just after the price has gone down over time. The only exceptions are the Monster Hunter franchise and anything related to Elite Dangerous.

Upvote 0