Futurist Only When do Futurists believe the Second Coming of Christ will be?

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟418,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I know the Bible says we cannot know the day or hour of the Lord's return, but are these events suggesting the end may be near? When do Futurists believe the Lord may return?

I'm wondering if we aren't even closer given the worldwide events such as these:
Putin's evil henchmen threaten to nuke BRITAIN if we keep helping Ukraine

Israel Air Force drilled ‘massive attack on Iran’ in presence of US officer – report

The fight to contain a new locust invasion that could push millions into hunger

World War Three is far more likely than anyone is prepared to admit

COVID Is Here to Stay

China angered as US sends destroyer through Taiwan Strait

Russia is openly talking about World War 3 for the first time

ALSO - any chance Tribulation has begun (the first 3.5 years)?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟418,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
-​

The not knowing the day or hour is a reference to the rapture. The Messiah's actual second coming, at the end of the tribulation, is definitely accompanied with signs in the heaven 1st (raqia, sky)

Agreed but we will know by signs that the time is near so the question is are these the signs of the Lord's coming that we are seeing now? No one disputes that we can know the day or hour, but are we in the "season"?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
When do Futurists believe the Second Coming of Christ will be?

It will end when it is time for it to end. Wars and rumors of wars don't signal the end as Jesus said. Revelation features two 3.5 times: one where two witnesses witness for 3.5 years and then lie dead in the great city for 3.5 days and then are risen from the dead as the final witness.

The next sign to look for is when the sky is rolled back like a scroll and God is visible to everyone. Until that happens, everything just proceeds in the background and nothing is certain.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When do Futurists believe the Lord may return?

There will be different answers but my understanding is at the 7th and last trump:

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Rev 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.
Rev 11:16 And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God,
Rev 11:17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Revelation 19 shows some events that will happen that day and the 6th seal also shows what happens that day but from the perspective of the unsaved as they see Christ in the sky. The second coming does not happen when the 6th seal is opened. It showed John what would happen when the 7th trump sounded. Many will say the second coming actually happens when Christ opens that seal but he actually remains in heaven to open the 7th seal proving the opening of the seals is not when the second coming happens.

As you can see, the resurrection is directly tied to the second coming and a trumpet sounding, and we are told it will be the last trumpet which is the 7th in Revelation.

No because there is no man claiming to be God, performing miracles and making lightning come out of the sky nor is there a global government he controls. We are in the "sorrows" part that happens before the Great Tribulation starts.

Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Mat 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Mat 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Mat 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
Mat 24:8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

• Agree
Reactions: JulieB67
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟123,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
-​

The not knowing the day or hour is a reference to the rapture. The Messiah's actual second coming, at the end of the tribulation, is definitely accompanied with signs in the heaven 1st (raqia, sky)

In Mat 24:36 Jesus Christ had to be speaking of the tribulation time. Not only context wise, but the mystery…. the age of Grace had not been revealed. There is nothing in the gospels that specifically gives reference to the rapture.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟309,449.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Simple... It doesn't matter how out of hand the world gets. It is this and it is a long way off as a different gospel is taught.
Matthew 24: 11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. 14 And this GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟107,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know the Bible says we cannot know the day or hour of the Lord's return, but are these events suggesting the end may be near? When do Futurists believe the Lord may return?

I'm wondering if we aren't even closer given the worldwide events such as these:

Israel Air Force drilled ‘massive attack on Iran’ in presence of US officer – report

COVID Is Here to Stay

Due to my unique understanding of what the "Tribulation" is, no--there's no chance it has begun recently. My view defines the "Great Tribulation" as beginning in 70 AD, when Israel fell into complete collapse.

The GT, therefore, is a Jewish Punishment, defined as such when Israel was still the "Chosen Nation," and the only nation under God. Now that many nations have become "Nations under God," these other nations have mimicked the history of ancient Israel, becoming "God's People," and then losing that status as their respective nations have "gone South."

So, the "Great Tribulation," by definition, represents a temporary fall for Israel--the longest punishment in its history, to be followed by a restoration, once the wicked controlling the Jews are cut off. And since Israel has returned to being a political state, we know we are close to the time of Israel's *spiritual restoration,* as well.

That's how I look at it. I'm not a Dispensationalist, but that's their view, and I agree with it. I just don't separate the Christian Nations and Israel into separate Dispensations.

We are all, as nations, going through the same process of Christianization and Judgment at the same time. Israel's initial period of "Christianization," however, was pre-Jesus. So the Jews do appear to be from a different Dispensation, although I would argue that the existence of a Christian remnant among them marks them as going through in the same age what former Christian nations are going through now.

I do agree with you that world events presently appear to be so threatening to God's plan on earth that the end cannot be far off. The nuclear age brought us close to that point. The massive increase in world population is another point at which the end seems inevitable. I could continue. The ultimate sign to look for is the rise of a new powerful government in Europe, uniting 10 powerful nations. That will signal the ascendancy of Antichrist.

Upvote 0

tranquil

Sep 29, 2011
with Charlie at the Chocolate Factory
✟275,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

COVID Is Here to Stay

I think this is the most likely scenario:
Futurist Only - Sukkot, Purim, and the structure of Revelation
The pattern I describe doesn't occur again until 2044, which is too far past the 80 year generational marker of Israel. As it is presented here, it ends 3 days before the 80th anniversary.

Also, 'the 1st 3.5 years', in my opinion, is a misunderstanding of Dan 9 in general.

Dan 9:24-26 occurs just before Dan 9:27 in a literal unfolding of literally 70 weeks. Dan 9:27 would have multiple meanings, but the 1st meaning would be the abomination occurring at Sukkot 2024, the 'middle of the 7th month' performed by the 1st anointed one. 2nd, a valid translation would be 'for half the week he cuts off sacrifices', this would correlate to the 6th Trumpet/ 1260 days of the 2 witnesses. Then the 3rd, the traditional understanding, 'in the middle of the week, he cuts off sacrifices', would occur after the beast has been killed and the beast rises up again at the 7th Trumpet.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟309,449.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And since Israel has returned to being a political state, we know we are close to the time of Israel's *spiritual restoration,* as well.

That's how I look at it. I'm not a Dispensationalist, but that's their view, and I agree with it. I just don't separate the Christian Nations and Israel into separate Dispensations.
But Judah was no longer part of Israel at the time of Jesus or the fall of the second Temple (even though Jesus told the 12 to go out to all the nations of the House of Israel, Jews first.) Nor should the Jews today be calling their old land of Judah, Israel unless it is inhabited by all 12 tribes of the House of Israel. They are still adamant that people coming in from Ethiopia and elsewhere are of Jewish heritage, not of the other 10 tribes (Levites having been absorbed into Jewish nation as priests).

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟253,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In Mat 24:36 Jesus Christ had to be speaking of the tribulation time. Not only context wise, but the mystery…. the age of Grace had not been revealed. There is nothing in the gospels that specifically gives reference to the rapture.

Why would God's greatest prophet not be the first to announce something new and that would be the rapture.

The verses below are the very first announcement by God (via Jesus) of the event now call the rapture .

“But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. But as the days of Noah were,so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39 and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left. Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming.

Jesus God's prophet 1.jpg

Jesus God's prophet 2.jpg

Jesus God's prophet 3.jpg

Jesus God's prophet 4.jpg

Jesus God's prophet 5.jpg

Jesus God's prophet 6.jpg

Jesus God's prophet 7.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi the 2nd coming of Christ is plotted to be at the end of the tribulation or 42 months from when the antichrist is revealed which would be in the middle of the 70th week of Daniel. The seal judgments begin in chapter 6 and the end is Jesus coming in power authority and great glory brining in the wrath of God and stopping the beast and taking all authority and dominion himself from that day forward. Zech 14 shows that day quite clearly. It is also the fulfillment of Dan 2 and 7 as well.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟253,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Agreed but we will know by signs that the time is near so the question is are these the signs of the Lord's coming that we are seeing now? No one disputes that we can know the day or hour, but are we in the "season"?

There is no sign or signs preceding the rapture, it is an imminent event. That can occur in the next hour or in 1, 5 years 20 or 50 years.

There are signs that precede the tribulation like the Russian and allies invasion of Israel. In Ezekiel 38 -39:16

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is no sign or signs preceding the rapture, it is an imminent event.

That's not what scripture says:

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

Paul will be addressing these two events. The first event is the second coming and the second event is the rapture.

2Th 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

That day is the day those two events happen. Don't listen to anyone who claims this is a reference only to first event. Paul is talking about the day in which both events take place.

He is comforting these people that they should not be worried they missed the second coming and rapture. What may have caused them to think they did? The clue is in that verse, "nor by letter as from us". Paul is referencing his first letter to them. In that letter he said the second coming would be "like a thief in the night". They must have misunderstood that Christians could possibly be asleep and miss that event which includes the rapture. They must have also overlooked that Paul said Christians would not miss it, "ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief".

2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away (Apostasy away from Christ) first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

"that day" is same day of two events, second coming and rapture. Also beware of ANYONE trying to change Apostasy into a physical departure.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟253,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That's not what scripture says:

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

Paul will be addressing these two events. The first event is the second coming and the second event is the rapture.

2Th 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

That day is the day those two events happen. Don't listen to anyone who claims this is a reference only to first event. Paul is talking about the day in which both events take place.

He is comforting these people that they should not be worried they missed the second coming and rapture. What may have caused them to think they did? The clue is in that verse, "nor by letter as from us". Paul is referencing his first letter to them. In that letter he said the second coming would be "like a thief in the night". They must have misunderstood that Christians could possibly be asleep and miss that event which includes the rapture. They must have also overlooked that Paul said Christians would not miss it, "ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief".

2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away (Apostasy away from Christ) first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

"that day" is same day of two events, second coming and rapture. Also beware of ANYONE trying to change Apostasy into a physical departure.

2nd Thessalonians 2 is about the tribulation

Upvote 0