✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Donkeytron said:
Yeah I actually edited my post about it a page or two back.

The US consumes more resources than any other nation on earth...and we are one of the smaller ones. Do the math...what does it take for US to keep the consumption rates up while the necessary resources are in other countries?

Upvote 0

LogicChristian

Aug 28, 2005
Saint Louis
✟19,002.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:
The US consumes more resources than any other nation on earth...and we are one of the smaller ones. Do the math...what does it take for US to keep the consumption rates up while the necessary resources are in other countries?

The US also produces more than any other nation as well, something worth noting.

Upvote 0

Anderlecht

Aug 18, 2005
✟15,622.00
Faith
Christian
SallyNow said:
billwald said:
Now we know how the Indian People have felt for 350 years. <G>
Yup.

It's a world economy out there now. America isn't going to just get to reep the benifits without getting the drawbacks that all nations have had to face too.

Want globalization? Get it. But don't whine when you have to deal with the reality of globalization...
Indeed, they didn't call it globalization for nothing. It's G L O B A L folks :wave: That's what all those SUPRA-national bodys like IMF, WORLD Bank, and of-course WORLD Trade Organization is purposefully set-up for. To smooth the surface for a globalized economy, meaning, an economy that is SUPRA-national. It's the economy, stupid, right?;) .

The idiots are looking in just one direction, anticipating and loudly squealing and sniveling that they are on the lookout, and that they are NRA-armed and ready to fight the blue-helmeted one-world UN troops that are supposedly anticipated to land near their front doorstep, while the real one-world-system, i.e. the SUPRA-national economic system is sneaking through on the other side via the stock-market-ticker flat-screens and via supermarket shelves. But what can you do about that now? Use your UN-proof NRA gun and shoot some flat-screens, or the supermarket shelves? :D Don't think so, because the just-in-time created Homeland security will take care of that kinda stuff. So almost everything's already in it's place. Nice, isn't it? ;)

Upvote 0

Donkeytron

Veteran
Oct 24, 2005
✟9,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Neverstop said:

What logic said is part of it. The "math" as you put it, relies on a 15th century understanding of trade. It isnt a zero sum game.

Upvote 0

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
"America will never fall from the outside, we are to fall from the inside. And letting China and every other nation in the world buy us from the inside out, when we're letting them buy our ports and other places of vital strategic and economic importance, it's like letting the trojan horse in."

Well, that's much bettr than selling you opium, no;)

Remember US involvement in the Opium Wars? Maybe this is just God's payback?

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Donkeytron said:
What logic said is part of it. The "math" as you put it, relies on a 15th century understanding of trade. It isnt a zero sum game.

I'm not relying on a 15th C trade scale nor a zero sum game. Our consumption drives the need for war and war helps drive the economy...they are fluid and inextricably connected.

The US does not produce more than any other nation.

Upvote 0

Donkeytron

Veteran
Oct 24, 2005
✟9,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Neverstop said:
I'm not relying on a 15th C trade scale nor a zero sum game. Our consumption drives the need for war and war helps drive the economy...they are fluid and inextricably connected.

The US does not produce more than any other nation.

Withe respect to trade, what point are you trying to make by pointing out that we trade for good located in other countries.

As for production, can you name other nations with $12 trillion in annual output?

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Donkeytron said:
Withe respect to trade, what point are you trying to make by pointing out that we trade for good located in other countries.

I didn't bring trade up.

As for production, can you name other nations with $12 trillion in annual output?

This doesn't seem to be accurate because of all the outsourcing the US does. Is there a link for this number? Plus, if the US outproduced all other nations, why the hell are we so dependent on so many other nations?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Donkeytron

Veteran
Oct 24, 2005
✟9,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Neverstop said:
I didn't bring trade up.

Alright, nevermind then.

Neverstop said:
This doesn't seem to be accurate because of all the outsourcing the US does. Is there a link for this number? Plus, if the US outproduced all other nations, why the hell are we so dependent on so many other nations?

For country statistics of any and all flavors, I usually refer to the CIA factbook:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html

I actually lowballed it a bit, gross production last year was 12.77 trillion bucks via exchange rates.

Never, I think youre a good guy, but I also think you're very confused about economics. Almost all nations, with a couple exceptions, are interdependent and acheive greater production than they would otherwise, thanks to the comparative advantages enjoyed in some countries.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Donkeytron said:
Alright, nevermind then.

For country statistics of any and all flavors, I usually refer to the CIA factbook:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html

I actually lowballed it a bit, gross production last year was 12.77 trillion bucks via exchange rates.

Never, I think youre a good guy, but I also think you're very confused about economics. Almost all nations, with a couple exceptions, are interdependent and acheive greater production than they would otherwise, thanks to the comparative advantages enjoyed in some countries.

Thanks for the link and the compliment.:wave: I'm being lazy right now....so does that 12 trill include outsourcing?

Admittedly, I'm no econ expert, and don't try to pretend to be, but one doesn't have to be to explore this issue of a Permanent War Economy. See, I NEVER contested the need or even desire for international trade. It is a very good thing.

Let's compare Canada or any other fairly large nation w/ the US in terms of armed conflicts/wars....why is it the US easily has the highest number? Are we not an Imperial power?

Upvote 0

Donkeytron

Veteran
Oct 24, 2005
✟9,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Neverstop said:
Thanks for the link and the compliment.:wave: I'm being lazy right now....so does that 12 trill include outsourcing?

Admittedly, I'm no econ expert, and don't try to pretend to be, but one doesn't have to be to explore this issue of a Permanent War Economy. See, I NEVER contested the need or even desire for international trade. It is a very good thing.

Let's compare Canada or any other fairly large nation w/ the US in terms of armed conflicts/wars....why is it the US easily has the highest number? Are we not an Imperial power?

For your first question, I'm not sure what effect you think oursourcing has on gross production. Assuming were using the word in the same way, that is, a corporation moving operations overseas, outsourcing should generally increase GDP.

As for why the US fights the most wars, Id say its because weve been the defacto guardians of economic order since the decline of the british empire. As for an imperial power, I'm not sure. You could probably make a case for it as long as were occupying iraq, but after thats over (whenever that might be) you would have to stretch to fit the US into the traditional definiton of an imperial power.

Upvote 0

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟15,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
KerrMetric said:
This is good not bad. Have any of the reactionary conservatives on here ever taken an economics class?
I agree with you, but the rep Nazis won't let me do anything about it.

You'd think that people would appreciate the growth free trade brings us and other nations. I wonder how many people who dislike free trade know that China's economy (which is improving mainly because of the U.S.) helped to cushion the recession that Western countries experienced during 2000-2001?

Upvote 0

Donkeytron

Veteran
Oct 24, 2005
✟9,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Scholar in training said:
You'd think that people would appreciate the growth free trade brings us and other nations. I wonder how many people who dislike free trade know that China's economy (which is improving mainly because of the U.S.) helped to cushion the recession that Western countries experienced during 2000-2001?

You could go a lot further than that- southeast asian exporters and middle eastern oil producers are still giving us substantial monetary breathing room by investing their cash in dollar denominated assets. Otherwise, interest rates would be considerably higher (and probably inflation too).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Donkeytron said:
You could go a lot further than that- southeast asian exporters and middle eastern oil producers are still giving us substantial monetary breathing room by investing their cash in dollar denominated assets. Otherwise, interest rates would be considerably higher (and probably inflation too).

Intevesting their cash could make a lot of money
You are right about that!

Upvote 0