When America no longer OWNS America

Donkeytron

Veteran
Oct 24, 2005
✟9,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Neverstop said:
We live in an entertainment based society and everything from clothing to housing to driving trends are contingent upon that industry. It's an industry built on luxury and w/o the resources necessary to maintain the status quo our entire culture would switch priorities in a way that is so drastic that our culture itself would change.

I think what you mean is, our society is built on private consumption and consumer preferences. I dont know what the rest of your post means.

Upvote 0

LogicChristian

Aug 28, 2005
Saint Louis
✟19,002.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:
That's taking it to the extreme...clothing ourselves would not be an issue...the driving part would be in 50 or so years...but as long as we keep invading oil rich countries that won't be a problem.

Oil rich countries are going to sell their oil one way or the other whether there is a war or not.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Donkeytron said:
I think what you mean is, our society is built on private consumption and consumer preferences. I dont know what the rest of your post means.

Its deeper, much deeper than private consumption and consumer preferences.

What makes it possible for our culture to revolve around Ipods, Xbox 360, Superbowls, Hummers, etc?

Upvote 0

Donkeytron

Veteran
Oct 24, 2005
✟9,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Neverstop said:
Its deeper, much deeper than private consumption and consumer preferences.

What makes it possible for our culture to revolve around Ipods, Xbox 360, Superbowls, Hummers, etc?

The fact that a huge middle class exists and has disposable income and therefore consumes certain goods and services in certain allocations?

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Donkeytron said:
The fact that a huge middle class exists and has disposable income and therefore consumes certain goods and services in certain allocations?

The middle class is shrinking and the economy is not as good as the Bush admin wants us to believe. In fact, the disparity between minorities and the middle class today is WORSE than it was in 1960.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
LogicChristian said:
What is your point then? I'm showing you the US economy isn't based on war and your argument seems to be the opposite.

Unless I'm mistaken?

Two recent examples. Afghanistan--we invade--BOOM!--gas pipeline contract gets signed--Halliburton is CURRENTLY doing work in IRAN---we invade Iraq--Halliburton's stock does what?? Doubles? Triples???

It would help to look at a timeline from 1945 to present on US in War/armed conflict.

Upvote 0

LogicChristian

Aug 28, 2005
Saint Louis
✟19,002.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:
To maintain the current rate, it does. Why do you think the Bush admin recently laid out a 30 YEAR WAR PLAN???

The meager economic benefits you've shown from the wars certainly don't outweigh even their monetary costs, and certainly aren't a crutch for the economy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Donkeytron

Veteran
Oct 24, 2005
✟9,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Neverstop said:
The middle class is shrinking and the economy is not as good as the Bush admin wants us to believe. In fact, the disparity between minorities and the middle class today is WORSE than it was in 1960.

I dont see what this has to do with my response to your question. First it was war drives the economy. Then it was entertainment related spending. Then you asked me what makes people buy xboxes. I dont see where this is supposed to be going.

Upvote 0

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think hustlers and opportunists have invaded the power structure of the United States. It's not a safe scenario. So it's hard to say whether or not this port deal is safe.

Look at the fellow Brown from FEMA. There's a guy who hustled himself to the upper ranks. At least some segment of the U.S. population believes in rewarding liars and cheaters. It's like a romanticized skill. Folks are so busy hustling and lying they kind of forget the fundamentals.

Iraq there for instance is close to civil war. But the spin doctors and social architects just keep lubing the friction - hoping that in time everything will slide into place. Ignoring the fact that it's perfectly healthy for humans to work with their hands, manufacturing jobs have been discarded in favour technology jobs. Adding insult to injury, lots of computer-intesive jobs are being outsourced to cheap-labour countries or eliminated entirely.

It's amazing how things have been going downhill since the Apollo missions to the moon when nothing could stand against the quality and value of American manufacturing.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Donkeytron said:
I dont see what this has to do with my response to your question. First it was war drives the economy. Then it was entertainment related spending. Then you asked me what makes people buy xboxes. I dont see where this is supposed to be going.

Okay, not sure what to say...was the article read?

Upvote 0