What's the meaning of 1 Corinthians 6:9-11?

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Does that mean if you commit any of those sins, you go to hell? Or is it something more?

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Does that mean if you commit any of those sins, you go to hell? Or is it something more?

Inherit is connected to rewards, if the verse would have said enter the kingdom instead then that would have been connected a persons salvation.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It looks to be explaining the importance of being washed in baptism, sanctified through the giving of the Holy Spirit through the oil of chrismation, and justified through our faith.

I'd also argue that it could be pointing to the importance of the Holy Mystery of Repentance.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

it's if you are unrepentant in those sins. and reminding the Christians of their calling to repent since they are baptized.

also, non-Orthodox this isn't the place for you to answer.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

In short, yes. Someone who does not change their behavior after baptism is in no better place than an unbaptized person. We had a similar discussion here:

Jesus Dying On the Cross Allows People to Sin

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It means that if you commit such sins you have to die to those, and find new life in Christ once again. This is an ongoing process. Salvation is always in part, in other parts of ourselves we still need to be saved. It is for us to go to Jesus when we walk in those sinful parts, so we can die to being like that and come to life in the new. Like the Psalmist says in Psalms 86:11-13.

"Teach me your way, Lord,
that I may rely on your faithfulness;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.
I will praise you, Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify your name forever.
For great is your love toward me;
you have delivered me from the depths,

from the realm of the dead.
"

Sin will never enter Heaven so the remaining sin in us when we die shall be cut of from our spirit by the Word of God, our Lord Jesus Christ. Hebrews 4:12-13

"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
it's if you are unrepentant in those sins. and reminding the Christians of their calling to repent since they are baptized.

also, non-Orthodox this isn't the place for you to answer.
Does that confirm that if we do certain stuff, we lose salvation?

Upvote 0