What's the good thing about being married??

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Having that one person who really, truly knows you - being able to cast aside vulnerabilities b/c you feel safe being vulnerable with them.

Deep, intimate bond.

Being told you are beautiful even when you might look really cruddy that day. lol

Definitely children - such a blessing.

Upvote 0

IamStefanie

Nov 8, 2011
Dallas, TX
✟8,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I may have mentioned this before but I just want to add in it is also nice to have someone to wake you up from nightmares.

I like this one....when I have a nightmare and I wake up out of it, I want someone next to me to hold me and tell me it's ok. But, God's there. So I'm alright. Plus my son is with me. He's my companion, but I can't treat him like my husband. I know that sounds strange, but I hope you know what I meant by that.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Having that one person who really, truly knows you - being able to cast aside vulnerabilities b/c you feel safe being vulnerable with them.

Deep, intimate bond.

Being told you are beautiful even when you might look really cruddy that day. lol

Definitely children - such a blessing.

Yes this, as so eloquently written.

Plus, for me, to have a woman that likes sex as much as Created!

Upvote 0

pappastratos

May 10, 2011
Alabama,,,very close to paradise !
✟15,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lets see, companionship, someone who can help me gut a deer, (just kidding) someone to spend a life with. Loneliness is not a good thing. Someone to share holidays, children, grandchildren, births, deaths, adventures, moving to a new city,
& OF COURSE SEX. But do remember, as you get older, the sex is not as important as snuggling & holding each other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GloryBe!

Always learning.....
Jul 8, 2011
Arkansas
✟15,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
richard william said:
Being married gives you the undying feeling of being whole and complete... I have been married for 3 years now and have never been happier.....

I'm not disagreeing with this poster, for this is how they feel. However, in my experience, I felt "whole and complete " as a single Christian living on my own. Marriage didn't bring about this feeling (in my case ).
My spouse doesn't "complete "me. God completes me. In fact, when you make yourself so open and vulnerable (as in marriage ), you actually give that other person the opportunity to break you (resulting in the opposite of whole& complete )...taking this risk is how intimacy is formed. So, honored correctly, it is beautiful and soothing, but God is still even more beautiful and soothing and constant than any mate can be.... Imo

Glory be!

Upvote 0

peckaboo

Jul 11, 2011
England
✟15,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This probably isn't the "best thing" about being married (wait, was that even the original question? Oh, no, it was the "good thing" so I guess I can say this one) but I find it so comforting to go to bed at night with my husband knowing that in ten or twenty or thirty years that same face with those same eyes and that same smile will still be the last thing I see every night before falling asleep.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I like the stability, knowing someone else is in the house.

Group venting at the end of the day.

Someone who comes to your defense in a conversation (not intruding into the real situation).

Someone who understands your family dynamics and background without having to explain it.

Knowing that someone else is good at things I'm not, and might step in when I'm too lazy to do it (and vice-versa). Like being blunt and firm with a contractor.

Being able to back each other financially when someone runs low -- a free exchange without a lot of thinking.

The other day we went out, and spent money at several places. I thought back to who spent what, and realized neither of us was keeping track, but we kept it fairly balanced. There was no talk of who paid what, or who owed whom, like we'd do with a friend. Too much time gets wasted on making things fair, but in a marriage you develop patterns. It's very freeing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kol

Working on it
Jan 24, 2007
✟12,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Subjective question.

Here's an exercise: take a week or two and decide how you want to die. Seriously, imagine it; how do you want to go? They say in the US, it'll probably be from either a heart attack or cancer. I'd prefer cancer myself: it's a known, I have time to prepare. I don't want an accident - I'd never forgive myself if I died in public, and drowning and fire they say are too painful. So, still young, I should have 40 or 50 years if the robots, zombies, or aliens don't kill us first. So back pain one week, tired for a couple of months, half a year perhaps in a bed, and it's over. Excruciating pain, but they've got meds for that. Then, the end. It's not that far away for anyone old enough to read this stuff.

Until that time, all I can do is sit around the campfire/TV/Wii and have the companionship that comes from a family. I'm glad you guys like sex. I do think if you need another person to make you feel "complete" then something is wrong. But constant companionship is the reason marriage will win.

God didn't create Eve because Adam needed help, sex, or stability. He created Eve because it wasn't good for Adam to be alone.

For women, if you pick the right guy you will never have to work again. The same is true of men but not so often.

You mean retirement. Retirement is "what men do when they die, and women do when they marry."

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It depends: if you are comparing staying in a marriage to being divorced, then there are a whole lot of advantages to staying married--mostly financial.

If you are comparing staying single to becoming married, then the answer is sex. That's the only thing. Any of that other stuff you could do with your sister. Yeah, I know, you have a friend and someone to vent to and someone to help raise the kids and blah blah blah....but the thing that makes that special within marriage is that it's a person you also have sex with, which adds an extra dimension to all those other relationships.
Basically this.

Upvote 0