What's the difference between white and black poverty?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Or race or culture. There are not many rich and succesful black countries. Why should we expect that black minorities will be successful and rich?

Sure, some black individuals are intelligent, peaceful, calm, disciplined, educated, rich or well integrated. Praise to them, it had to be hard. But is that a rule or the majority of the blacks? No.

Even having to deal with 'systemic racism' I believe most blacks can succeed here. They do have to change some of their thinking however.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do not think this question has some simple answer. It will be some complex mix of internal hatred towards the succesful majority, the disappointment from own personal failures and probably many other psychological and cultural aspects of those minorities they mostly bring with themselves from their home countries.

Minority populations around the world face the same challenges.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Even having to deal with 'systemic racism' I believe most blacks can succeed here. They do have to change some of their thinking however.
Sure they can. I agree with that. I do not think that something from outside keeps them down, neither in Africa, nor in the USA.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟896,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Being registered in school is compulsory up to a certain age, but doesn't in itself do anything about disparities in the tax base (you'll do a lot better if you're going to school in Malibu than in Compton), and doesn't do anything to help a child whose family and other more immediate influences set a lot of roadblocks in the way of his education -- say, if his parents never had much of an education themselves (and hence don't value it), or his neighborhood doesn't have a well-maintained and safe library, or his wider culture devalues reading and learning as 'white people stuff', etc.

So you don’t see a difference in the things that teenagers idolize in the hood compared to a higher income subdivision? This doesn’t have anything to do with taxes it has to do with influence. Teenagers in the hood will often idolize pimps, drug dealers, and gang bangers because those are the people driving the awesome cars, wearing nice jewelry and clothes, and getting all the girls. In the higher income subdivision the teenagers idolize doctors, lawyers, architects, and engineers because they’re the ones driving the awesome cars, live in a big awesome home, wearing nice clothes & jewelry, and getting all the girls. Now it’s not always like this but is typically like this.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So you don’t see a difference in the things that teenagers idolize in the hood compared to a higher income subdivision? This doesn’t have anything to do with taxes it has to do with influence. Teenagers in the hood will often idolize pimps, drug dealers, and gang bangers because those are the people driving the awesome cars, wearing nice jewelry and clothes, and getting all the girls. In the higher income subdivision the teenagers idolize doctors, lawyers, architects, and engineers because they’re the ones driving the awesome cars, live in a big awesome home, wearing nice clothes & jewelry, and getting all the girls. Now it’s not always like this but is typically like this.

There is a small difference. Those in the high income subdivisions aren't heading to prison or the cemetery for pursuing their idols.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But some are more effective in dealing with it - Jews, Asians, Whites are not having such problems, even when being a minority.

Maybe we are blessed. :bow:

• Optimistic
Reactions: solid_core
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Maybe we are blessed. :bow:
In the end, yes, everything is God's grace.

But there will be some ways in which the grace works. For example a different mindset, different habits, different role models, different ways to success...

Also a different philosophy. While whites, jews and asians have developed quite rationalistic and rich philosophies, blacks do not have anything like that.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟896,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a small difference. Those in the high income subdivisions aren't heading to prison or the cemetery for pursuing their idols.

Yeah we’ll their idols are criminals. Go figure.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,115,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Being registered in school is compulsory up to a certain age, but doesn't in itself do anything about disparities in the tax base (you'll do a lot better if you're going to school in Malibu than in Compton),
Here in our county, we have two school districts. One school can pay their teachers several thousand more dollars than at the other school. They have more current textbooks, more computers, and they built a whole new school while the poorer district's school was putting buckets under leaks in the roof and kids were wearing their winter coats in class because the boiler had broken down again.
I know several families who have put their kids in the wealthier school district even though it's 35 miles away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In the end, yes, everything is God's grace.

But there will be some ways in which the grace works. For example a different mindset, different habits, different role models, different ways to success...

Also a different philosophy. While whites, jews and asians have developed quite rationalistic and rich philosophies, blacks do not have anything like that.

You're getting dangerously close to the truth. :eek:

• Optimistic
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟309,814.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know several families who have put their kids in the wealthier school district even though it's 35 miles away.
Which make the wealthier schools more wealthy as enrollment increases and takes away money from the poorer schools as enrolment/attendance which determines funding) decreases.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟309,814.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I do not think this question has some simple answer. It will be some complex mix of internal hatred towards the succesful majority, the disappointment from own personal failures and probably many other psychological and cultural aspects of those minorities they mostly bring with themselves from their home countries.
Plus perhaps the brass ring is not handed to them on a platter as many may have first believed. This could lead to resentment at finding their lives are no better than the homes they left and often ignore the opportunities available to their abilities. Assimilation may be a dirty word but it can take a generation or two to happen,and that is highly dependant on community, cultural or ancestral influences.That applies to everyone, not a particular race.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Is it education, motivation, health, behavior, or racism?
I think the differences are motivation. Some people are motivated, some are not. There is a fast way to money, and a honest way. Also integrity some have, some do not.

• Agree
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟309,814.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think the differences are motivation. Some people are motivated, some are not. There is a fast way to money, and a honest way. Also integrity some have, some do not.
Yes, an overall human problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0