Our God is a consuming fire.
Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Because the notion that God was once a man is not Christian.
Well, looky who!
Yeah, I came back, but not for your sake ;) - I hope that doesn't offend you.

I have corrected your little comment: Because the notion that God was once a man is not Orthodox Christian.
There are early Christian sects who did entertain the idea that Jesus was once a man like us, hence the "need" for the Nicene Creed to declare that Christ was begotten "before all ages/worlds." That was at the crux of the debate, since some believed Jesus was a man like us before He was begotten as God's Son.

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
It's a major deal to Christians. God existed before there was a universe, or men, or any planets for men to be born on.
That is a basic tenet of Christianity. There is no tap-dancing around it.
It is the general assumption of Orthodox Christianity. The Bible does not mention God creating the universe - it says He created the sky or heaven - the Hebrew uses the term heaven for sky. The Bible does not say a lot of things modern Christians assume it means. It doesn't say God created Satan either. It doesn't say God created the world from nothing nor man from nothing for that matter. And it doesn't say God created man's spirit from dust like his body, but rather that man's spirit was blown into his body from God, and will return to the God who gave it when we die.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Well, looky who!

I have corrected your little comment: Because the notion that God was once a man is not Orthodox Christian.
There are early Christian sects who did entertain the idea that Jesus was once a man like us, hence the "need" for the Nicene Creed to declare that Christ was begotten "before all ages/worlds." That was at the crux of the debate, since some believed Jesus was a man like us before He was begotten as God's Son.

:rolleyes:You don't offend me, RevelationTestament. ;)

Whatever. :doh: The notion that there are numberless gods out there, all born on different planets and all raised to their godhood by the god of those planets, and our God is just one of these gods, is beyond ridiculous. It borders on blasphemy. Indeed, I believe it is blasphemy.

I am quite sure that it isn't Christian at all. Those who believe this nonsense are not Christians. Christians believe in God as the Creator of the universe...obviously, He couldn't have been born on any planet, because none of them existed before He created them. :rolleyes:

To be very honest, until I became a member of this site, I would have told you that I didn't follow any "creeds"...I got my information from the Bible. The information I got from reading my Bible agrees with the Nicene Creed...but to be very honest, I think the Apostle's Creed is prettier.:)

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The Spaulding Theory is dead and buried.
I say we need to keep it around as an example of how falsehoods are twisted and manipulated by critics and how people are willing to manufacture false evidence against the truth. When I read about the Spaulding manuscript it was interesting to see how there was a new flurry of affidavits to support the story when the manuscript turned up unstolen in an old chest.
The story can be discredited by a simple handwriting analysis. When I read the actual manuscript I was shocked to see there was really no similarity between it and the Book of Mormon other than people from the Old World came to the New World. Well, that is a settled scientific consensus LOL.

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
:rolleyes:You don't offend me, RevelationTestament. ;)

Whatever. :doh: The notion that there are numberless gods out there, all born on different planets and all raised to their godhood by the god of those planets, and our God is just one of these gods, is beyond ridiculous. It borders on blasphemy. Indeed, I believe it is blasphemy.
I don't believe that. Elohim is/are one. Yet Jesus is YHWH Elohim with the Father. It is the same idea the doctrine of the trinity tries to pronounce. It does it unscripturally, however.

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So Jesus wasn't God?
Hi Susan,
I will say that I have popped in a few times and read your posts with interest - as you can see I have learned your name...
I'm Brent btw.
I wonder if you would explain something to me. When I looked into the Baha'i Faith years ago, I couldn't understand how they allege that Mohammed was a prophet, and yet the Qur'an indicates he was God's last prophet. That doesn't leave room for the Bab and Bahullah in my understanding. Which I suppose is the reason the Baha'i were so persecuted by the Muslims.
What do the Baha'i make of the several passages of the Qur'an which instruct the believers to kill Jews, Christians and others who do not accept Allah?

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I don't believe that. Elohim is/are one. Yet Jesus is YHWH Elohim with the Father. It is the same idea the doctrine of the trinity tries to pronounce. It does it unscripturally, however.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Joh 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
\
QUOTE="BobRyan, post: 68226173, member: 235244"]oops! -- I quoted the Book of Mormon on this thread...

In Mal 3 God said "I do not change".

Whatever God may do, if revelation didn't change there would be no New Testament.

so then... "Sola scriptura" matters as a test of doctrine.

if you are Lutheran I suppose. Catholics have never accepted that premise.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Hi Susan,
I will say that I have popped in a few times and read your posts with interest - as you can see I have learned your name...
I'm Brent btw.
I wonder if you would explain something to me. When I looked into the Baha'i Faith years ago, I couldn't understand how they allege that Mohammed was a prophet, and yet the Qur'an indicates he was God's last prophet. That doesn't leave room for the Bab and Bahullah in my understanding. Which I suppose is the reason the Baha'i were so persecuted by the Muslims.
What do the Baha'i make of the several passages of the Qur'an which instruct the believers to kill Jews, Christians and others who do not accept Allah?

Be happy to address those questions but let's not derail this thread in order to do so. Start a new thread with them and we can talk about it. Briefly though, the Qur'an only authorizes Muslims to kill those who are persecuting them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoredGospelEvidences

Jul 27, 2013
✟15,229.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
Before He was a Man, Jesus was God.
He was never a Man before He was God.

The idea that God the Father was ever a man from some other planet is not Christian.

I thought this had been established long ago.
I'm actually surprised this thread is still here.

The idea that God the Father was ever a man from another planet is something that was not clearly expounded on in early Christianity. In fact, some early Christians wrote how God the Father didn't have a body, like Christ did. But that is not to say that many other early Christians didn't believe God the Father could have been just as physical as his Son, Jesus Christ. It is to point out here that there were controversies going on about the physical aspects of "the gods!" Some argued that in the eternities to come, bodies will eventually not be needed, while others argued, even with the use of ritualistic typologies that supported the physical resurrection, that bodies would be, because they'd be changed, glorified, perfected & wouldn't die again, that was Christ's gift to all, a physical resurrection. The physical resurrection, as argued by Paul was real, (1 Cor. 15), but it was eventually argued by some early to later Christians, such as those of St. Augustine's time, to be a spiritual resurrection, one that wasn't physical. The physical body wasn't very popular with anti-body Greek thinkers, & some Romans too (1 Cor. 1:23). These anti-body beliefs also influenced early to later Christians to reconsider their beliefs in the physical aspects of what the Godhead was believed to be like. Christ's physical resurrection was a hot topic even amongst the earliest Christians too, remember doubting Thomas (John 20:24-31), wouldn't believe until he felt Christ's hands & the wounds. There were so many other doubters that just couldn't believe that the dead could be resurrected back into their physical bodies. Celsus, 2nd cent., early anti-Christian, mocked & vilified the resurrection to make it sound like ugly rotten & wormy dead corpses would come crawling out from their graves. And yet, amongst others, the concept of God having a physical body, or being in a physical form, or that a man could be "a god," these were parts of the religious heritage of many mystery religions in Europe & the Middle East. The Egyptians & Romans looked upon their top leaders as being "gods" in mortal mens' bodies. Thus, Christ being a "god" & looking like a man, was a concept not unknown, though it was also rejected by others too. Such as when the Jews wanted to stone Jesus for being a "god-man." Or "thou, being a man, maketh thyself God." (John 10:25-42). Christ had even called his Father, our Father too, (John 17; 20:17), Abba = Father, which was what the common Jews would call their own common Fathers. So for Christ to speak of God the Father in such a way, this trouble a lot of people of Christ's time.

A logical look at this issue:

Genesis says that the first man & first women were made in God's image, but the wording is plural, "let us" & "in our" suggesting that the images of the divine beings are female & male images.

Logically, if the passages in the New Testament that make references to God the Father, aren't literal, then wouldn't they have to be de-literalized with other references? Wouldn't that mean that Christ had a literal mother, but not a literal Father? That his title of "Son of God," would have to mean that he's not literally the physical Son of a physical resurrected man-God, but the Son of an unphysical being, the Spirit-God-Father? One that is without form, shape, or any type of body? Wouldn't a lot of the physical look a like comments of Christ, about what his & our Father looked like, when they'd look upon the Son, thus have to be de-literalized?

Wouldn't we logically think that if Christ as Son had a body, his & our Father in heaven, would also have a body too? However, this, of course wasn't popular to anti-body, anti-physical resurrectionists who influenced the way the Godhead should be depicted in later Christian art works, while others, who still held to the physical image of the Godhead, continued to depict the Godhead as three separate men. The symbolism that kept the artists a little safer than others was to have just the hand of God the Father extending down out of a cloud, or corner of the art work to make finger symbols & languages that became an important part of Christian symbols for centuries to follow. But if God the Father had a hand, couldn't he also have an arm, (in some cases an arm is extended down too), then if an arm, He must, or could also have a whole body too.

What Mormon prophets have done is take their restored spiritual gifts into areas of modern revelation to thus testify that Christ not only has a glorified resurrected physical body, but that God the Father does also. Thus, God the Father is our Heavenly Father, & Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Sources:

Noel B. Reynolds, Early Christians in Disarray.

Albert E. Bailey, The Gospel In Art, (Boston & Chicago: Pilgrim Press, 1916).

Arnold Toynbee, (Editor), The Crucible of Christianity, Judaism, Hellenism and The Historical Background to the Christian Faith, (New York, and Cleveland, World Publishing Company, CR Thames & Hudson, 1969).

A. S. Garretson, Primitive Christianity And Early Criticism, (Boston: Sherman, French & Company, 1912).

Carl Van Treeck and Aloysius Croft, M.A., Symbols in the Church, 1936.

Charles Norris Cochrane, Christianity and Classical Culture, (Clarendone Press, 1940, Paperback; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1957).

Fredk, WM. Hackwood, F.R.S.L., Christ Lore (Being the Legends, Traditions, Myths, Symbols, & Superstitions of The Christian Church), (London: 1902, republished, Detroit: Gale Research Company, Book Tower, 1969).

George Ferguson, Signs & Symbols In Christian Art, (New York: Oxford University Press, 1959).

Goblet D'Alviella, (The Count), The Migration of Symbols, (Westminster, 1894, reproduced by University Books, 1956).

Heather Child and Dorothy Colles, 1971, Christian Symbols Ancient & Modern, (Charles Scribner’s Sons, Great Britain).

James L . Barker, Apostasy From The Divine Church, (Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret News Press, 1960). James L. Barker, The Divine Church, Down Through Change, Apostasy therefrom, and Restoration, (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Deseret News, 1951). Being a course of study for the Melchizedek Priesthood Quorums for the years 1952-4), 3 vols: 1952, 1953, 1954.

William G. Rusch, The Trinitarian Controversy, (Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1980).

Scroll down to see art works on this blog, concerning the hand of God extending down, sometimes clasped by Christ. See also: Sources & art works on this article.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The idea that God the Father was ever a man from another planet is something that was not clearly expounded on in early Christianity. In fact, some early Christians wrote how God the Father didn't have a body, like Christ did. But that is not to say that many other early Christians didn't believe God the Father could have been just as physical as his Son, Jesus Christ. It is to point out here that there were controversies going on about the physical aspects of "the gods!" Some argued that in the eternities to come, bodies will eventually not be needed, while others argued, even with the use of ritualistic typologies that supported the physical resurrection, that bodies would be, because they'd be changed, glorified, perfected & wouldn't die again, that was Christ's gift to all, a physical resurrection. The physical resurrection, as argued by Paul was real, (1 Cor. 15), but it was eventually argued by some early to later Christians, such as those of St. Augustine's time, to be a spiritual resurrection, one that wasn't physical. The physical body wasn't very popular with anti-body Greek thinkers, & some Romans too (1 Cor. 1:23). These anti-body beliefs also influenced early to later Christians to reconsider their beliefs in the physical aspects of what the Godhead was believed to be like. Christ's physical resurrection was a hot topic even amongst the earliest Christians too, remember doubting Thomas (John 20:24-31), wouldn't believe until he felt Christ's hands & the wounds. There were so many other doubters that just couldn't believe that the dead could be resurrected back into their physical bodies. Celsus, 2nd cent., early anti-Christian, mocked & vilified the resurrection to make it sound like ugly rotten & wormy dead corpses would come crawling out from their graves. And yet, amongst others, the concept of God having a physical body, or being in a physical form, or that a man could be "a god," these were parts of the religious heritage of many mystery religions in Europe & the Middle East. The Egyptians & Romans looked upon their top leaders as being "gods" in mortal mens' bodies. Thus, Christ being a "god" & looking like a man, was a concept not unknown, though it was also rejected by others too. Such as when the Jews wanted to stone Jesus for being a "god-man." Or "thou, being a man, maketh thyself God." (John 10:25-42). Christ had even called his Father, our Father too, (John 17; 20:17), Abba = Father, which was what the common Jews would call their own common Fathers. So for Christ to speak of God the Father in such a way, this trouble a lot of people of Christ's time.

First: did you notice that Christ was the ONLY begotten Son of God? In other words, you are not His begotten son.:doh:
Also, did you notice that when the Angel came to Mary, what was described was that the Holy Spirit would overshadow her, and she would conceive? In other words, there was no physical contact between Mary and any part of the Godhood...she was still a virgin when she was pregnant with Jesus. In other words, He was not begotten in the same way as you were.:doh:
And finally, are you really comparing Christianity with the "mystery religions of Europe and the Middle East? Because the Roman Emperor styled himself a "god" do you think that made him a god? Did you know that Caligula declared that his horse was also a god, and built him a golden stable? Do you suppose there are also horse-gods?:swoon:

A logical look at this issue:
Genesis says that the first man & first women were made in God's image, but the wording is plural, "let us" & "in our" suggesting that the images of the divine beings are female & male images.

Did it ever occur to you that "in our image" might mean something deeper than a physical image?
Or are you suggesting that God is a hermaphrodite?:(

Logically, if the passages in the New Testament that make references to God the Father, aren't literal, then wouldn't they have to be de-literalized with other references? Wouldn't that mean that Christ had a literal mother, but not a literal Father? That his title of "Son of God," would have to mean that he's not literally the physical Son of a physical resurrected man-God, but the Son of an unphysical being, the Spirit-God-Father? One that is without form, shape, or any type of body? Wouldn't a lot of the physical look a like comments of Christ, about what his & our Father looked like, when they'd look upon the Son, thus have to be de-literalized?

Yes, that would mean that Jesus did not have a literal Father. He is the Son of God through a miracle of God. Yes, He is the Son of an "unphysical being"...the "Spirit-God-Father" Who is a Spirit and must be worshiped in spirit and in truth. I don't know what "look alike" comments you are talking about, but yes, if you have taken Christ to have said that He looked like His Father, then you would have to "de-literalize" whatever verses you are talking about.

Hear the Words of Christ Himself:
Joh 4:21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
Joh 4:22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
Joh 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Did you catch that last verse? Just in case you missed it, let me repeat it for you:
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Of all people, I think Jesus would know. Don't you?

Wouldn't we logically think that if Christ as Son had a body, his & our Father in heaven, would also have a body too? However, this, of course wasn't popular to anti-body, anti-physical resurrectionists who influenced the way the Godhead should be depicted in later Christian art works, while others, who still held to the physical image of the Godhead, continued to depict the Godhead as three separate men. The symbolism that kept the artists a little safer than others was to have just the hand of God the Father extending down out of a cloud, or corner of the art work to make finger symbols & languages that became an important part of Christian symbols for centuries to follow. But if God the Father had a hand, couldn't he also have an arm, (in some cases an arm is extended down too), then if an arm, He must, or could also have a whole body too.

Are you thinking of Michealangelo's famous painting on the Sistine Chapel's ceiling? There is quite a bit of symbolism there. If you can, pull up a picture for yourself and look closely...who is the chic under God's arm?
And why does it look as if God and company are inside of a huge brain?
Things that make me go "hmm"

What Mormon prophets have done is take their restored spiritual gifts into areas of modern revelation to thus testify that Christ not only has a glorified resurrected physical body, but that God the Father does also. Thus, God the Father is our Heavenly Father, & Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

"Restored spiritual gifts"? And what "restored spiritual gifts" would these be, and how will you prove to anyone that these "gifts" are not figments of the Mormon imagination?
If your "gifts" are revealing to you something that contradicts what Jesus taught, then those "gifts" are not coming from God.

Joh 10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

And if you are listening to other voices, beside the voice of Jesus Christ...then, I'm sorry...but you are not a Christian.

Upvote 0

RestoredGospelEvidences

Jul 27, 2013
✟15,229.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
It's a major deal to Christians. God existed before there was a universe, or men, or any planets for men to be born on.
That is a basic tenet of Christianity. There is no tap-dancing around it.
The Mormon idea that God was a man born on another planet who was raised to His godhood by the god of that planet, who was once a man on yet another planet, who was raised to his godhood by the god of that planet, who was once a man on still another planet who was raised to godhood by the god of that planet, who was once a man...and this keeps repeating over and over again...and bear in mind, each new "god" must have a wife, so that they can produce "spirit children" which they will send to be born as men (and women, of course) on their personal planets in the hope that they may be raised to be gods in their own right...well, it gets pretty complicated pretty quickly.
This is not a Christian belief, in any way, shape, or form.
In short, Mormons are not Christians.

I honestly thought this thread had been closed. When I noticed it, I just had to pop in and see for myself.
I should have kept my opinions to myself...anyone who is a Mormon has probably already heard them.

The concept of deification, with early Christians being god-makers before Mormons, is part of historic biblical Christianity that has been covered on other threads on this site. But for now, here's some links to consider. #1, #2, #3. To declare Mormon's restored gospel versions of deification one of the reasons why members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS-Mormons), as "not Christians" would also have to make early to later Christians who accept their own versions of deification to also not be Christians, including Christ himself, accused by the jews as being a Godmaker. (John 10:22-42).

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The concept of deification, with early Christians being god-makers before Mormons, is part of historic biblical Christianity that has been covered on other threads on this site. But for now, here's some links to consider. #1, #2, #3. To declare Mormon's restored gospel versions of deification one of the reasons why members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS-Mormons), as "not Christians" would also have to make early to later Christians who accept their own versions of deification to also not be Christians, including Christ himself, accused by the jews as being a Godmaker. (John 10:22-42).

Of your three links, two of them are Mormon propaganda sites, and don't really mean squat.
The second one connects to something called "Internet Archive". According to the site:

The Internet Archive is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that was founded to build an Internet library. Its purposes include offering permanent access for researchers, historians, scholars, people with disabilities, and the general public to historical collections that exist in digital format.

Comparing yourself with ancient Christians, or even Christ Himself does not make your words true.
The Bible never depicts God the Father as having been a man from another planet, nor does it speak of myriad gods ruling other planets and raising men to godhood...I cannot for the life of me figure out how anyone could come to such a nonsensical conclusion as that.
Have you not read the Gospel of John?

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

There is a great deal in these four verses...however, for now, let's just concentrate on the third verse:

"All things were made by him." Would you include the rock we are standing on...good ol' planet Earth...to be a part of "all things"? I would.
In fact, I'd say that "all things" would mean just what it says: "All things". Every star, every planet, every living thing, including man, was "made by him, and without him was not any thing made that was made."
No planet...no place for your "god-man" to have been born. Nothing existed other than God Himself, before He spoke the universe into existence.

Upvote 0

RestoredGospelEvidences

Jul 27, 2013
✟15,229.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
Of your three links, two of them are Mormon propaganda sites, and don't really mean squat.
The second one connects to something called "Internet Archive". According to the site:

The Internet Archive is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that was founded to build an Internet library. Its purposes include offering permanent access for researchers, historians, scholars, people with disabilities, and the general public to historical collections that exist in digital format.

Comparing yourself with ancient Christians, or even Christ Himself does not make your words true.
The Bible never depicts God the Father as having been a man from another planet, nor does it speak of myriad gods ruling other planets and raising men to godhood...I cannot for the life of me figure out how anyone could come to such a nonsensical conclusion as that.
Have you not read the Gospel of John?

There is a great deal in these four verses...however, for now, let's just concentrate on the third verse:

"All things were made by him." Would you include the rock we are standing on...good ol' planet Earth...to be a part of "all things"? I would.
In fact, I'd say that "all things" would mean just what it says: "All things". Every star, every planet, every living thing, including man, was "made by him, and without him was not any thing made that was made."
No planet...no place for your "god-man" to have been born. Nothing existed other than God Himself, before He spoke the universe into existence.

The first three links #1, #2, #3, are to sources, debates, that include Christian ministers, & other souces to consider, they are not all Mormon sources. Thus, to reject them as "Mormon propaganda" shows you haven't looked at the information provided which includes two sided arguments & discussions between Mormons & Christians on the concept of deification (becoming gods). If it was propaganda, the other side would hardly be allowed to be expressed. If you're not aware of the concept of deification = godmaking, in early Christainity, then you should get informed, before you start tearing down your own early Christian roots & declaring others "non-Christians" for having the same types of beliefs, though different. If being different is what disqualifies someone from being Christian, then all of Christendom would have to charge each other for not believing exactly as the others. The links also contrast, which means offers differences between the early to later Christian versions of becoming gods, & those of the restored version in LDS thought. There being hours of information, it's clear that you are one of those that likes to reject the information without exploring it in detail. Probably one who also likes to set up standards as to where acceptable sources have to come from in order to qualify as being non-propaganda. In other words, a Mormon won't be allowed to make references to Mormon scholars' works, but will have to reference what you might declare is acceptable, or that which will pass your own biased inspection. I'm not going to play your game. However, because you're not the only reader here, the links & these sources can be considered by other readers too, & it will be up to them to find out for themselves. As I've noted, there are many other threads here, where this topic has been explored already.

Deification, theosis, Christian moral perfection = godmaking, was one of the doctrines that early Christians used to answer the reasons why God became a man. Yes, even the early anti-Christians, like Celsus, 2nd cent., knew of the concept that God became a man. How the early Christians answered this issue is interesting: God became a man so you can learn from a man, how man may become God(s). This repeated phrase, is part of a concept that spans throughout the centuries of the history of Christendom, & is called: Tantum Quatum, "the great exchange."

Early anti-Christian charges: Early Christians teach that they will become perfect. In the resurrection, dead bodies will rise up. Deification is an old worn out myth. After having created the heavens and the earth, why did Christ come down into the body of a man in order to work with wood? And why did he pick such a weak human body to live out his life in such a low ranked manner? Was it to see what was happening here?

Early Christian Answers: Christians do teach that they can become perfect in the after life. The body will be changed, glorified, and perfected in the resurrection. The versions of deification in mythologies were correct concepts which the pagan nations had retained, though in apostate form. Why did Christ become a man? To show us how to become Gods.

Outside & inside influences began to shape later Christian dogmas, such as during and after the Nicene Creed era. For some who held to certain versions of the doctrine of deification, blended them in with the views that were being presented in the creeds that were polemically worked out during the later centuries. While other versions reflected neo-platonic anti-body elements in which God was considered to not have a body. Thus, a number of Hellenized versions, under the pressures of Greek philosophy, took on the anti-body doctrines in Greek thought, of which didn't mix very good with the doctrine concerning a physical resurrection in deification. Eventually, a number of early Christians began to consider deification to mean that they would become gods, but would not have the need for a body in the eternal world, because God is a spirit only. Thus, you have this belief, God is spirit only, being blended in with deification. At the same time, the resurrection was also believed & defended, such as by Paul, (1 Cor. 15), to be a physical resurrection, & many early Christians understood this to mean that their spirit & body would be raised up in the resurrection, with a body that was glorified, perfected & deified. The ritualistic aspects of this are also part of Christendom's different versions of their mysteries = temple type endowments. Even the early anti-Christians knew of these & mocked the early Christians for being a "secret" "cult."

The early anti-Christians mocked the Christians for teaching each other they could become perfect. In time, this concept was not only expounded on, but debated over: "The heated debates in Western Europe around the year 400 on the meaning of perfection had their roots in the uncertainty about what it meant to be a genuine Christian in a society of fashionable Christianity." (John McManners, (Editor), The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity, (Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press, 1990). pp. 67 & 69, italics added).

In earlier centuries, the monastic quests for moral Christian perfection & deification up the ladder to heaven, where Christ greets those who endured to the end with crowns & hand & wrist grasping, (traditional Christian symbols of deification). This version of becoming gods, the ladder, was rejected by John Calvin, A.D. 1509—1564. Thus, he rejects the earlier monastic versions of deification, as it’s found in the monastic concepts of a ladder to heaven, where each rung up the ladder meant that the Christian had worked their way up to adding more & more Christ like traits in obedience to Christ, to being that much closer to “Christian moral perfection.” This version deification was consider blasphemous to Calvin who said that no ascent up the moral ladder of perfection would ever make any one a god. "No moral achievement can ever give any claim upon God, and no ascending of the ladder of the chain of being can ever unite man with God and make him into God. The very notion of the deification of humanity was to Calvin blasphemous." (Roland H. Bainton, chapter entitled: IV Man, God, And The Church In The Age Of The Renaissance, in The Renaissance, Six Essays, (New York: Harper Torchbooks, The Academy Library, 1953), p. 96. Ladders to heaven symbolized the monks quest for “Christian perfection.” Edward McNall Burns, Robert E. Lerner, & Standish Meacham, Western Civilizations, Their History and Their Culture, (New York, London: W.W. Norton & Co., 1st ed., 1941, 10th edition 1984), vol.1, p.219; Leonard W. Cowie, The March Of The Cross, (Great Britain: Weidenfeld & Nicolson LTD., 1962; in the USA: McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., N.Y., Toronto, & Lon., 1962), pp.33-4; David Knowles, Christian Monasticism, (New York, Toronto: World Un., Library, McGraw-Hill Co., 1969, reprinted 1972 & 1977), p.10; W.H.C. Frend, The Early Church, (Phil., & N.Y.: J.B. Lippincott Co., 1966), pp.202-3; Dom Hubert Van Zeller, The Holy Rule, Notes on St. Benedict's Legislation for Monks, (New York: Seed & Ward, 1958), p.370 &pp.56-8, 65, & note 27 on p.80, see also pp.82, 89, 99-101, see note 5 on p.101,.103, 106-7, 123, & 125-6).

Clement of Alexandria, A.D. 153-193-217, cites from an unknown, or now missing passage of “scripture”: “Wherefore the Scripture, as might have been expected, proclaims good news to those who have believed. “The saints of the Lord shall inherit the glory of God and His Power.” (The Ante-Nicene Fathers, vol. 2, p. 198; Clement of Alexandria, Exhortation To The Heathen, chapter 10, italics added here).

120-202, Irenæus: “If the Word became a man, It was so men may become gods.” Another translation reads: “If the Word has been made man, it is so men may be made gods.” Another uses the 1 John wording: “the Word of God, our Lord Jesus Christ, who did, through His transcending love, become what we are, that He might bring us to be even what He is Himself.” (Stephen Robinson in Are Mormons Christians?, (Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft, 1991), 60‑70, notes on p. 118--120. Symeon Lash, “Deification,” in The Westminster Dictionary of Christian Theology, editors, Alan Richardson and John Bowden, (Philadelphia: Westminster Press, 1983), pp. 147-48, Irenæus, Adv. Haer V, Pref. http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/ANF‑01/anf01‑62.htm#P8843_2519626, Irenaeus, Against Heresies, bk. 5, pref. The Ante-Nicene Fathers, vol. 1, p. 526, Irenæus Against Heresies, book 5, preface).

Clement of Alexandria, A.D. 153-193-217, also used 1 John too & connected it up with deification: "Yea, I say, the Word of God became a man so that you might learn from a man how to become a god." Clement of Alexandria, Exhortation to the Greeks, 1.

In another, “the Logos of God became man that from man you might learn how man may become God.” Methodius, A.D. 260-312, the Greek father: “He [Christ] was made man that we might be made Gods.” He also wrote how “the Word being sent down into the world to perfect, He first took upon Him our form, disfigured as it was by many sins, in order that we, for whose sake He bore it, might be able to again receive the divine form. . . . And for this reason He, being God, was pleased to put on human flesh, so that we, beholding as on a tablet the divine Pattern of our life, should also be able to imitate Him who painted it." (S. Angus, The Mystery Religions and Christianity, 106-107; The Ante-Nicene Fathers, vol. 6, p. 312, Methodius, A.D. 260-312, The Banquet of the Ten Virgins, or Concerning Chastity, chapter 4).

Roland H. Bainton notes how that the “early Greek theologians had declared that God became man in order that man by union in the Eucharist with God might become God.” (Roland H. Bainton in The Renaissance, Six Essays, (USA: Harper Torchbooks, 1962, originally published by The Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1953 under the title: The Renaissance: A Symposium, 6 Essays), Essay II: Hard Times And Investment in Culture, by Robert S. Lopez, p.32, Essay IV: Man, God, And The Church In The Age Of The Renaissance, by Roland H. Bainton, pp. 82-4, see note 9 on p.82 citing from a translation in The Renaissance Philosophy of Man, edited by E. Cassirer, P. O. Kristeller and J. H. Randall, 1948 (Phoenix paperback ed.), p.225 f.)

Anthanasius, 4th century, took part in the Nicene Creed drama: “The Word was made flesh in order that we might be enabled to be made gods.... Just as the Lord, putting on the body, became a man, so also we men are both deified through his flesh, and henceforth inherit everlasting life." Athanasius, Against the Arians, 1.39, 3.34.

Athanasius uses the situation that happened to Christ when he was asked by the Pharisees why he, Christ, “being a man, make Thyself God?” (John 10:30--33). Hence, Anthanasius suggests that “they ought contrariwise to have said, “Why hast Thou, being God, become man?” Further on he answers this question, as to why Christ became a man, for “the Word was made flesh in order to offer up this body for all, and that we, partaking of His Spirit, might be deified.” Another translation reads: "He became man that we might be made divine." In Discourse 1, he said how Christ “deified men by becoming Himself man. . . . He was God, and then became man, and that to deify us.” In his Incarnation of the Word: “For He was made man that we might be made God”. In Discourse 3: “the Lord, putting on the body, became man, so we men are deified by the Word as being taken to Him through His flesh, and henceforward inherit life everlasting.” In another source citing Athanasius: ”For the Son of God became man, that we might become God.” (Anthanasius, De Decretis, or Defense of The Nicene Definition, chapter 1:1; chapter 3:14; Against the Arians, 1.39, 3.34. Four Discourses Against the Arians, Discourse I, chapter 11; Discourse 3, chapter 26; Incarnation of the Word, 54:3; On the Internet: http://users.exis.net/~frimmin/faith/theosis.html article entitled: Our True, Final, Hope, Theosis / Divinization / Deification, p. 3 of 9, citing Athanasius, De inc., among other early Christians, the Bible and modern Christians on deification).

1 John 3:2-3, was one in many passages used by early Christians to support their own versions of deification.

The Ante-Nicene Father, (Grand Rapids, Michigan: WM. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company; T & T Clark, Edinburgh, reprinted, May 1989), in 10 volumes, see vol. 4, pp. 241—249, Origen, A.D. 185-230-254, Origen De Principiis, Preface 8—10; Book 1, chapter 1; chapter 2; Huge Nibley’s 1953 radio show series on KSL in Salt Lake City, Utah, entitled: Time Vindicates The Prophets, later published in the series, The Collected Works of Huge Nibley, see volume 3. See also:Lenet H. Read’s series of articles: How the Bible Came to Be, published in The Ensign, (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1982), series ran from January 1982 through September 1982, see: Part 4: The Canon Becomes an Unread Relic, see: The Ensign, April 1982, p. 45 & 48, see notes 17 & 18. Fred Gladstone Batton, A History of the Bible (Boston: Beacon Press, 1969), 290—293.

Rev. Joseph Milner, A. M., & Rev. Isaac Milner, D.D. F.R.S., The History of The Church of Christ, (London: Printed by Luke Hansard & Sons, For T. Cadel, In the Strand, 1827), p. 528--542).

Alan Richardson & John Bowden, (Editors), The Westminster Dictionary of Christian Theology, (Philadelphia: The Westminster Press, 1983), 147-148.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well, looky who!

Except that isn't the reason for that language in the Creed. The issue at Nicea was Arianism. The Arians taught that the Son, in being begotten, was a creature--the first creature created by God. Which is precisely why the Creed says (in its 381 revision) that the Son is "begotten before all ages" and "begotten, not made". The eternity of the Son is emphasized in the original anathemas which the Council of Nicea (325) drew up:

"But those who say: 'There was a time when he was not;' and 'He was not before he was made;' and 'He was made out of nothing,' or 'He is of another substance' or 'essence,' or 'The Son of God is created,' or 'changeable,' or 'alterable'— they are condemned by the holy catholic and apostolic Church."

The Arians did not believe Jesus "was a man like us before He was begotten as God's Son", the Arians were not adoptionists. The Arians believed that the Father created a second God--the Son or Logos--and that this second God was the maker and author of the universe.

Here is what the Arian bishop Ulfilas (Wulfila) stated as his creed:

"I, Wulfila, bishop and confessor, have always so believed, and in this, the one true faith, I make the journey to my Lord; I believe in one God the Father, the only unbegotten and invisible and in his only-begotten son, our Lord and God, the designer and maker of all creation, having none other like hime (so that one alone among all beings is God the Father, who is also the God of our God);" - Letter of Auxentius, pupil of Ulfilas

That was the core issue here at the Council of Nicea: Was the Son of another substance (heteroousios) from the Father, and thus a second or junior God? Or was the Son of the same substance (homoousios) as the Father, and thus true and very God?

That the Son was divine, indeed God, was never a dispute. Adoptionism wasn't the core issue, the Son's divinity wasn't the core issue, the question of whether Jesus was divine or human was never the issue. All participants agreed the Son was divine--God--but what did that mean? That is what the Council set out to weigh in on.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

RestoredGospelEvidences

Jul 27, 2013
✟15,229.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
The Barrd: "Whatever. :doh: The notion that there are numberless gods out there, all born on different planets and all raised to their godhood by the god of those planets, and our God is just one of these gods, is beyond ridiculous. It borders on blasphemy. Indeed, I believe it is blasphemy." Response: Yes, it was a hard concept for even earlier Mormons to follow, but those who at first thought it was blasphemy, later accepted it, like LDS Prophet, Lorenzo Snow, who also added: "As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be". Another reading of this statement is said to date, June 1840, “As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become.” (Stephen Robinson in Are Mormons Christians?, (Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft, 1991), pp. 60‑70, notes on pp. 118--120. The Prophet Snow said that this was revealed to him during the Nauvoo period of Church history. See: Deseret Weekly 49 (November 3, 1894): 610; Deseret Weekly 57, (October 8, 1898): 513; Deseret News 52 (June 15, 1901): 177; and Journal History of the Church, July 20, 1901, p. 4. Milton R. Hunter, The Gospel Through the Ages, (Salt Lake City, Utah: Stevens & Wallis, 1945), pp. 105--106. Note 7 on p. 106: Lorenzo Snow, Millennial Star, vol. 54, p. 404; LeRoi C. Snow, “Devotion to a Divine Inspiration,” Improvement Era, vol. 22, (June, 1919), pp. 653-662).

Note there are verbal parallels to this comment & those found in early to later Christianity. However, to clarify, those are verbal parallels that need to be contrasted in each example of the Christian proverb, doctrine & saying: Christ, the Word, became man so man can become God(s). Or as worded in other sources mentioned: God became man so man can become god(s). Let's be clear here & fair, each statement that repeats this phrase, has to be considered in their historical settings: What was the beliefs about what God was like? What was the extent to which Jesus became man? How did the beliefs, like the Nicene Creed, help influence what man or a woman, would become in becoming God(s), as well as the women Christians in becoming goddesses? How did the defense of a physical resurrection affect the doctrine of deification in contrast to those who rejected a physical resurrection & settled for a spiritual one? These types of questions need to be explored as we consider who & when that basic concept was given. Thus, there were different versions of deification that were explored & debated over in early to later Christendom.

The notion that if the early Christians believed they could become gods, or goddesses, as numerous statements state from their own writings shows. Then, there must be "numberless gods out there" for there were many Christian martyrs, rewarded with deification, & saints believed to have gone pass being angels to being gods or goddesses. So many that the early Christian fathers, like Origen, 185-230-254 A.D., warned that they shouldn't be worshipped, though they be divine, or ranked as gods or goddesses. (The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol.4, p.547-8, bk.5 chap. x-xi (Origen Against Celsus); The Early Christian Fathers, by Henry Bettenson, pub. by Oxford Un. Press, Lon. 1956, p.243-44; Rev.1:10-15, 19:6-10, 22:7-9).

Steve McCormick, on the Internet: http://wesley.nnu.edu/theojrn/26-30/26-3.htm article by Steve McCormick, Theosis In Chrysostom and Wesley: An Eastern Paradigm On Faith And Love, (Nampa, ID: Wesley Center at Northwest Nazarene University, 2000, Edited by Michael Mattei for the Wesley Center for Applied Theology at Northwest Nazarene University.

Inasmuch as deification of people to divine rank or to the rank of a god or goddess, was part of the traditions, ways in which soldiers were honored, or heros and champions were honored in ancient times, early anti-Christians must have saw in such elements among the Egyptians, Romans and Greeks, as being similar to the different versions of deification as found among the different polemical sects of the early Christians. Other versions of non-Christian deification, included the worship of founders of cities. (Fustel de Coulanges, The Ancient City, III, v). Governmental position were looked upon, in some cases, as having divine ranks and honors among the people of the nations of the Orient‑Persia, Chaldea, and in Egypt. Among the Greeks, the deeds of a hero could make him a god in the minds of the people. Divine honors could also even be given to the living, as versions of deification, influenced by contact with the Orient, also spread (Boissier, La religion romaine I, 112). Among some who were so honored as gods, were Philip of Macedon at Amphipolis, and his son, Alexander the Great, who not only claimed descent from the gods of Egypt, but set forth decrees that he should be worshiped as a god in the cities of Greece (Beurlier, De divinis honoribus quos acceperunt Alexander et successores ejus, p. 17). According to the teaching of Euhemerus, all the gods were deified men, hence, the custom of apotheosis, that of deification of rulers, and other heros, became very prevalent among the Greeks (Döllinger, Heidenthum und Judenthum, 314 sqq.). In the case with the Romans in Rome, many historians established the deification of their emperors in their histories. The worship of the legendary kings of Latium, the Di Indigetes, the myth that Romulus all contributed to different deification lore and traditions passed down in stories, cults, and rites. Hence, emperors were set up as being among the gods, as the title of Caesar was considered to be a title of divine godhood for the different Roman Caesars throughout Roman history, even though some of them refused to be worship as such. Many members of the imperial family, among whom were some women, were even enrolled among the gods & goddess. Still others among the cultured classes, scorned the idea of imperial deification. One of the things that got the early Christians in trouble was how they continually refused to pay homage and divine honor to the Roman emperors. Hence, many of them suffered martyrdom because of this. (See: W. H. C. Frend, Martyrdom & Persecution In The Early Church, (Garden City, New York: Anchor Books Doubleday & Company, 1967). This custom of decreeing divine honours to the emperors continued until the reign of Gratian, who refuse the insignia of the Summus Pontifex and wasn’t placed among the gods by the Senate. (PHELLER, Römische Mythologie, 770‑796: BOISSlER, La religion romaine, I, 109‑186; MARQUARDT‑MOMMSEN Römische‑Staatsverwaltung, II, 731‑740; VI, 443‑455; BEURLIER Essai sur le culte rendu aux empereurs romains (Paris, 1890). See: PATRICK J. HEALY, Transcribed by the Cloistered Dominican Nuns of the Monastery of the Infant, Jesus, (Lufkin, Texas: Dedicated to the Most Holy Trinity, The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume I, (CR 1907 by Robert Appleton Company, Internet, Online Edition CR 1999 by Kevin Knight, Nihil Obstat, March 1, 1907. Remy Lafort, S.T.D., Censor, Imprimatur. John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York). See also: A. S. Garretson, Primitive Christianity And Early Criticism, (Boston: Sherman, French & Company, 1912).Stan-Michel Pellistrandi, Early Christian Civilization, The Catacombs, The Dura-Europos Excavations, The Excavations At Saint Peter’s In Rome, French title: La Civilisation chrétienne primitive, (Geneva: Ferni Publishers, 1978; Editions Ferni); Stephen Benko, Pagan Rome And The Early Christians, (Indiana: Indiana University Press, 1984); T. W. Doane,Bible Myth, And Their Parallels In Other Religions, (New York:The Truth Seeker Company, 1882 & 1910); Robert Louis Wilken, The Christians As The Romans Saw Them, (Yale University Press; New Haven and London, 1984); Yves Bonnefoy, Mythologies, (A Restructured Translation of Dictionnaire des mythologies et des religions des societes traditionnelles et du monde antique). Prepared under the direction of Wendy Doniger. Translated by Gerald Honigsblum, etc., (Chicago, U.S.A.,& London, England: The University of Chicago Press, 1991).

The early anti-Christian, upon noting that deification was a common belief in pre-Christian times, & during Christian times, thus calls the early Christians' version an old worn out myth, because it, the early Christians' version, wasn't an original concept. It was one that had been repeated in myths throughout the centuries amongst the pagans & other mystery religions. This is one reason why early Christian doctrines were charged with having been borrowed from the myths & mysteries pre-dating Christ & his followers. Christian apologists answered this by saying that the gospel had been preached by true prophets & it got counterfeited, lost & changed during times of apostasy. Thus, Christ restored the same message he gave to the prophets of old, & that's why there are parallels between that which became myths over time, & that which got refreshed & restored by Christ.

Alfred Firmin Loisy, The Birth of the Christian Religion and The Origins of the New Testament, French title: La Naissance du Christianisme Les Origines du Nouveau Testament, translated by L. P. Jacks.

Arnold Toynbee, (Editor), The Crucible of Christianity, Judaism, Hellenism and The Historical Background to the Christian Faith, (New York, and Cleveland, World Publishing Company, CR Thames & Hudson, 1969).

A. S. Garretson, Primitive Christianity And Early Criticism, (Boston: Sherman, French & Company, 1912).

Charles Norris Cochrane, Christianity and Classical Culture, (Clarendone Press, 1940, Paperback; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1957).

Darell Thorpe, God Makers Making God Makers, Mormonism’s Version Of Deification In Light Of Historic Christendom’s Versions, (Salt Lake City, Utah: R.H. & P.S., May 2, 1998). "Ye Are Gods... Children of the Most High" (1993, revised 1994—1996).

Francis Legge, Forerunners And Rivals Of Christianity, (From 330 B.C. TO 330 A.D.), 2 Volumes as 1, (New Hyde Park, New York: University Books, 1964).

John P. Lundy, Monumental Christianity, Or the Art and Symbolism of the Primitive Church, (New York: J. W. Bouton, 1875 & 1882).

John Rupert Martin, The Illustration Of The Heavenly Ladder of John Climacus, (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1954).
O. Preston Robinson, The Challenge of the Scrolls, How Old is Christ's Gospel? (Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book, 1963).

R. Joseph Hoffmann, (translator) Celsus On The True Doctrine, (A Discourse Against the early Christians), (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1987).

T. W. Doane, Bible Myth, And Their Parallels In Other Religions, (New York: The Truth Seeker Company, 1882 & 1910).

Yves Bonnefoy, Mythologies, (A Restructured Translation of Dictionnaire des mythologies et des religions des societes traditionnelles et du monde antique). Prepared under the direction of Wendy Doniger. Translated by Gerald Honigsblum, etc., (Chicago, U.S.A., & London, England: The University of Chicago Press, 1991).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If one were truly interested in understanding the doctrine of Theosis they'd know that it is never about man becoming God in His essence; but rather the transformation of man by God's energies--His grace.

It is grounded in the doctrine of Incarnation: That the incorporeal, invisible, unknowable, and ineffable one and only God joined Himself to human nature becoming man; and that by our union with Him who is God-Man will be raised up--even as He was raised up--to eternal life in the body and by this grace of God sharing in the life and love of the Holy Trinity. Thereby sharing in the divine nature, "gods" by grace not by nature. No creature shall ever be the Uncreated and Eternal God.

"None surely of the righteous, save the Word of God only, Who, incorporeal by nature, appeared for our sakes in the body and suffered for all." - St. Athanasius, On the Incarnation of the Word, 38:2

"As, then, if a man should wish to see God, Who is invisible by nature and not seen at all, he may know and apprehend Him from His works: so let him who fails to see Christ with his understanding, at least apprehend Him by the works of His body, and test whether they be human works or God's works." - ibid. 54:1

Theosis is, by definition, connected with the Incarnation: That God became man. The Uncreated condescended to dwell amidst the created and was joined to it in order to save it; and in saving it draws creation into Himself. Thereby the man that is saved by Christ in the hope of resurrection receives the life of God as grace and to bear in his humanity the incorruptible image and likeness of God.

It is entirely erroneous to attempt to draw from the ancient fathers and the historic Christian teaching of theosis and use it to promulgate the LDS doctrine of exaltation. It is at best sincere ignorance or at worst insincere disingenuousness. Theosis is not apotheosis.

If you want to understand what theosis is, it isn't a difficult thing to do: The fathers when they write on the topic mean what they say and say what they mean. And they are clear:

1) God is in His essence incorporeal, invisible, unknowable, and ineffable. God is only knowable because of His works, revelation, and grace.

2) God is uncreated and eternal. There was never a time when God was not; there was never a time when God came to be. There was never a time when God became God or was anything other than God. God is, from all eternity and without beginning God; and in taking upon Himself human nature He does not cease to be what He always is.

3) God makes Himself known by the Incarnation, God the Word becoming united to our humanity and thus sharing in all that we are. By which we can know God because He has come to us as we are--frail, weak, creatures of skin and bone.

4) The union of the Divine and human in Christ means, for us, by His resurrection, ascension, return the promise of our own resurrection in the body, and thus to share in Christ the things of God even as God has, in Christ, shared in the things of man.

5) and so on.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The notion that if the early Christians believed they could become gods, or goddesses, as numerous statements state from their own writings shows. Then, there must be "numberless gods out there" for there were many Christian martyrs, rewarded with deification, & saints believed to have gone pass being angels to being gods or goddesses. So many that the early Christian fathers, like Origen, 185-230-254 A.D., warned that they shouldn't be worshipped, though they be divine, or ranked as gods or goddesses. (The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol.4, p.547-8, bk.5 chap. x-xi (Origen Against Celsus); The Early Christian Fathers, by Henry Bettenson, pub. by Oxford Un. Press, Lon. 1956, p.243-44; Rev.1:10-15, 19:6-10, 22:7-9).

Let's look at what Origen says here (my apologies, because it is long and dense):

"And if it be necessary for us to offer a defence of our refusal to recognise as gods, equally with angels, and sun, and moon, and stars, those who are called by the Greeks "manifest and visible" divinities, we shall answer that the law of Moses knows that these latter have been apportioned by God among all the nations under the heaven, but not among those who were selected by God as His chosen people above all the nations of the earth. For it is written in the book of Deuteronomy: "And lest you lift up your eyes unto heaven, and when you see the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, should be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the Lord your God has divided unto all nations unto the whole heaven. But the Lord has taken us, and brought us forth out of the iron furnace, even out of Egypt, to be unto Him a people of inheritance, as you are this day." The Hebrew people, then, being called by God a "chosen generation, and a royal priesthood, and a holy nation, and a purchased people," regarding whom it was foretold to Abraham by the voice of the Lord addressed to him, "Look now towards heaven, and tell the stars, if you are able to number them: and He said unto him, So shall your seed be;" and having thus a hope that they would become as the stars of heaven, were not likely to bow down to those objects which they were to resemble as a result of their understanding and observing the law of God. For it was said to them: "The Lord our God has multiplied us; and, behold, you are this day as the stars of heaven for multitude." In the book of Daniel, also, the following prophecies are found relating to those who are to share in the resurrection: "And at that time your people shall be delivered, every one that has been written in the book. And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament, and (those) of the many righteous as the stars for ever and ever," etc. And hence Paul, too, when speaking of the resurrection, says: "And there are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead." It was not therefore consonant to reason that those who had been taught sublimely to ascend above all created things, and to hope for the enjoyment of the most glorious rewards with God on account of their virtuous lives, and who had heard the words, "You are the light of the world," and, "Let your light so shine before men, that they, seeing your good works, may glorify your Father who is in heaven," and who possessed through practice this brilliant and unfading wisdom, or who had secured even the "very reflection of everlasting light," should be so impressed with the (mere) visible light of sun, and moon, and stars, that, on account of that sensible light of theirs, they should deem themselves (although possessed of so great a rational light of knowledge, and of the true light, and the light of the world, and the light of men) to be somehow inferior to them, and to bow down to them; seeing they ought to be worshipped, if they are to receive worship at all, not for the sake of the sensible light which is admired by the multitude, but because of the rational and true light, if indeed the stars in heaven are rational and virtuous beings, and have been illuminated with the light of knowledge by that wisdom which is the "reflection of everlasting light." For that sensible light of theirs is the work of the Creator of all things, while that rational light is derived perhaps from the principle of free-will within them.

But even this rational light itself ought not to be worshipped by him who beholds and understands the true light, by sharing in which these also are enlightened; nor by him who beholds God, the Father of the true light—of whom it has been said, "God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all." Those, indeed, who worship sun, moon, and stars because their light is visible and celestial, would not bow down to a spark of fire or a lamp upon earth, because they see the incomparable superiority of those objects which are deemed worthy of homage to the light of sparks and lamps. So those who understand that God is light, and who have apprehended that the Son of God is "the true light which lights every man that comes into the world," and who comprehend also how He says, "I am the light of the world," would not rationally offer worship to that which is, as it were, a spark in sun, moon, and stars, in comparison with God, who is light of the true light. Nor is it with a view to depreciate these great works of God's creative power, or to call them, after the fashion of Anaxagoras, "fiery masses," that we thus speak of sun, and moon, and stars; but because we perceive the inexpressible superiority of the divinity of God, and that of His only-begotten Son, which surpasses all other things. And being persuaded that the sun himself, and moon, and stars pray to the Supreme God through His only-begotten Son, we judge it improper to pray to those beings who themselves offer up prayers (to God), seeing even they themselves would prefer that we should send up our requests to the God to whom they pray, rather than send them downwards to themselves, or apportion our power of prayer between God and them. And here I may employ this illustration, as bearing upon this point: Our Lord and Saviour, hearing Himself on one occasion addressed as "Good Master," referring him who used it to His own Father, said, "Why do you call Me good? There is none good but one, that is, God the Father." Matthew 19:17 And since it was in accordance with sound reason that this should be said by the Son of His Father's love, as being the image of the goodness of God, why should not the sun say with greater reason to those that bow down to him, Why do you worship me? "for you will worship the Lord your God, and Him only shall you serve;" for it is He whom I and all who are with me serve and worship. And although one may not be so exalted (as the sun), nevertheless let such an one pray to the Word of God (who is able to heal him), and still more to His Father, who also to the righteous of former times "sent His word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions."
" - Origen, Against Celsus, Book V, Ch. 10-11

Origen's argument is at its core that the celestial powers are not to be worshiped as divine, Christians do not worship the sun, moon, and stars. As part of this argument he goes on to speak of those who, in Christ, are called "the light of the world" and to which are given the promise of a glory far more exceptional than what we behold of the celestial bodies above (i.e. the sun, moon, and stars). Even if we are to imagine these bodies as having minds, they would tell us themselves not worship them, but would tell us to worship God whom they worship.

Consider this portion from the above:

"but because we perceive the inexpressible superiority of the divinity of God, and that of His only-begotten Son, which surpasses all other things. And being persuaded that the sun himself, and moon, and stars pray to the Supreme God through His only-begotten Son, we judge it improper to pray to those beings who themselves offer up prayers (to God), seeing even they themselves would prefer that we should send up our requests to the God to whom they pray, rather than send them downwards to themselves, or apportion our power of prayer between God and them."

Origen's entire argument is an argument against worshiping the created and instead to worship only the Creator. It is, as part of this argument, that he speaks of those who are in Christ as receiving a glory superior to the lights in the sky. That is, given that we shall be more glorious than the sun, moon, and stars why ought we worship these?

What Origen does not do, at least from my reading here, is suggest that martyrs are divine and thus constitute a host of gods; and thus speak toward monolatria in spite of there, in fact, being many gods. On the contrary, he asserts that God alone is true light worthy of praise, and against there being anything else that can compare.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

RestoredGospelEvidences

Jul 27, 2013
✟15,229.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
ViaCrucis: "It is entirely erroneous to attempt to draw from the ancient fathers and the historic Christian teaching of theosis and use it to promulgate the LDS doctrine of exaltation. It is at best sincere ignorance or at worst insincere disingenuousness. Theosis is not apotheosis." Response: Did you miss this part of my post, 977: "Note there are verbal parallels to this comment [those made by LDS Prophet Lorenzo Snow], & those found in early to later Christianity. However, to clarify, those are verbal parallels that need to be contrasted in each example of the Christian proverb, doctrine & saying: Christ, the Word, became man so man can become God(s). Or as worded in other sources mentioned: God became man so man can become god(s). Let's be clear here & fair, each statement that repeats this phrase, has to be considered in their historical settings." I could add further observations to show the contrasting of differences that my fellow LDS Apologists & researchers have done to make sure our readers are noting that the LDS version of deification, called exaltation, is not exactly like many early Christians' versions, for there are many different versions of deification in early Christianity. We have been acknowledging the differences for years now, in writing, on radio shows, in books, debates, etc. Thus, no "erroneous" attempt has been made here in my posts "to draw from the ancient fathers and historic Christian teaching of theosis and use it to promulgate the LDS doctrine of exaltation." The LDS testify to there being a restoration of the beliefs, as restored through modern prophets & apostles. That new revelation clarified what had become corrupted through the centuries during the Great Apostasy. For us to say this, means that we would have to point out differences, contrasts, while also noting the credit due to those who sought to preserve many aspects of the doctrine. The LDS prophets & apostles have taken the beliefs far beyond what early Christians have expounded on, because of new revelations & speculations on those revelations in commentaries & talks given. So there are going to be some differences created there, because further insights that have come through the restoration.

Not paying attention to LDS apologists that have pointed out differences, the charge continues to be made that LDS don't see differences, or acknowledge them, when infact we have. During a debate, Kurt Van Gorden of the Christian panel, charged & claimed that the statements from the early Fathers were "taken out of context." (Kurt Van Gorden, Can Man Progress To Godhood? (1992): “In recent years I have noticed a number of articles in Mormon literature concerning the Eastern Orthodox doctrine of deification, derived from the Greek term theosis. There are two logical linguistic fallacies the Mormon writers have committed concerning their use of Eastern Orthodox citations. First, they commit the fallacy of equivocation, pretending that the early Church fathers meant the same thing the Mormons do when they use similar terms. Second, they commit the fallacy of vicious abstraction, that is, the removal of a statement from its context and the changing of its argument.”(Mission Monthly Vol.12, #11, p.16-17). In response to these charges & claims: I wish Mr. Gorden heard the radios shows on KZZI 1510 AM radio in West Jordan, Utah, for during Out of the Best Books, where Darell Thorpe & Van Hale on a guest several times during 1987--1988, not only talked about the many parallels between Mormonism and early Christianity, but we also acknowledged and talked about the many diversities and differences too. Even in Gorden’s citation from Van Hale’s Note Cards, is an indication that there were a lot of things that, for example Tertullian wrote that LDS wouldn’t agree with. This, in and of itself suggests that Van Hale was noting differences, and that not every thing that the early Christians wrote is exactly what Mormons believe. Kurt Van Gorden, Christian apologist, in his Can Man Progress To Godhood? 1992, now on the Internet, and which is derived from a transcript of a debate held in California between LDS Apologists Van Hale and Bill Forrest, charged that: “Several Mormon writers have attempted to quote early Church fathers to support their doctrine of man progressing to godhood. B. H. Roberts, Hugh Nibley, Keith Norman, Philip Barlow, Steven Robinson, and Van Hale are a few who have popularized this method of association. The whole system crumbles on two accounts: equivocation of terms and taking statements out of context. “Two typical examples are quotes from Tertullian and Origen. Van Hale uses both of these in his note cards (#227 and #348). His introduction states, Eternal Progression deification (Tertullian, 145‑220 A.D.) Source: "Against Hermongenes," chap. 5, Ante‑Nicene Fathers (Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1978) 3:480. The following is one of several statements by Tertullian expressing a view quite widely held by early Christians that man has the potential of becoming gods. This is part of his treatise against Hermogenes whom Tertullian believed to be a heretic. His interpretation of the 2 verses from Psalms was also common. While he and the LDS would disagree on many points, on this point there seems to be considerable agreement.” (Van Hale’s Mormon Miscellaneous, Note Cards, italics added).

Sunday evening, April 5th, 1992, on KTKK, K-TALK radio, 630 AM, in Utah. Martin Tanner (as Host), Van Hale (Guest) [PMD]s, & James White, "Christian" Calvinist, discussed the subject of deification in Mormonism & early Christianity. Both sides presented their reasons for their positions. Different Historians were cited from, a few examples were given from early Christian Fathers. Each rival side was unable to convince the opposing side of their own positions. Martin Tanner & Van Hale seemed to be more willing to set aside their biased look at history by admitting that early Christianity was not exactly like Mormonism is today. That there are differences of opinions & interpretations among the early Christian sects. But they also showed, by citing from a few examples, in many that they could have given, that there is some parallels between the early Christian beliefs & Mormonism, with regard to the doctrine of deification.
During the 1990s Martin Tanner also had Dr. Rick and Peterson as guest on his radio show, during which the similarities and differences about deification in the early Christian Fathers and the LDS version of deification were discussed, among other things, when they talked about their book Offenders For A Word, and responded to calls into the show Religion On The Line. Matthew Roper, “Mat” Roper, on 1230 AM radio, during the 1990's, also acknowledged differences and similarities between the early Christian Fathers’ versions of deification and the LDS version of deification, as he presented, a number of times, shows about deification, and responded to different callers into his show.

Keith Norman, Deification: The Content of Athanasian Soteriology. Ph.D. diss., Duke Un., 1980. He admits that Athanasian versions of deification are different to LDS' versions. This was during a discussion that took place at the Sun Stone Symposiums, about 1991, the one that Norman spoke at. Norman acknowledge the fact that Athanasius’ version of deification and statements that ‘Christ became man so we can learn from him how to become Gods,’ these types of statements repeated throughout Athanasius’ writings, shouldn’t to be interpreted as meaning the same exact things as the LDS Prophet, Lorenzo Snows’ statement, even though they sound similar. Kurt Van Gordan, however puts Keith Norman and Philip Barlow in with his list, even though he later quotes from Philip Barlow who also acknowledged differences too! In the Zion’s Lighthouse posts: 20, dated 10-24-2000, Dr. Daniel C. Peterson notes how Dr. Keith Norman’s dissertation about Athanasius’s version of deification continues to be abused by critics who continue to claim that LDS scholars, and Apologists haven’t been noting or acknowledging differences between many of the Church Fathers’ versions of deification, and the LDS’ restored version. Hence he wrote, in response to the Christian apologist, and anti-Mormon “Christian” DeMura that: “The quotation from Dr. Norman’s dissertation -- lifted, I presume, from James R. White, “Is the Mormon My Brother?” p. 253, note 51-- does not strike me as at all fatal or even dangerous to the Latter-day Saint position. Certainly it did not strike Dr. Norman as such, (a) since he chose the subject of his dissertation because of its interest to him as a Latter-day Saint. . . since he himself published a short article in “Sunstone” years ago based on his dissertation. . . . Incidently, in the quotation from Dr. Norman’s dissertation that, in Mr. White’s book, follows immediately on the heels of the quotation borrowed by Mr. DeMura, Dr. Norman explains that Athanasius’s objection to ontological equality between God and deified man rests upon Athanasius’s belief in creation ex nihilo. It should be kept in mind that Dr. Norman has argued, in print, that the doctrine of creation ex nihilo is post-biblical -- which certainly seems to imply that he would reject Athanasius’s objection, based upon the post-biblical doctrine, as biblically baseless.” (Dr. Daniel C. Peterson’s posting on the Internet at Zion’s Lighthouse, posts: 20, dated 10-24-2000, reply to DeMura’s Claim that Peterson Decontextualizes ECF Early Christian Fathers, pp. 13--14; Keith Edward Norman, Deification: The Content Of Athanasian Soteriology, Dept. of Religion, Duke University, 1980, His thesis for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy; Norman, Sunstone Magazine, Winter 1975, article entitled: Divinization: The Forgotten Teaching of Early Christianity.).
Christian Apologist, and anti-Mormon “Christian” Kurt Van Gordon includes Keith Norman in with his list, along with Philip Barlow, later cited by Gordan: “Many of these Mormon writers assume that the Church father meant the same thing with their terms as what Mormons do. One Mormon writer, for example, who was evidently disturbed that this was going on, cautioned Mormons to be careful about using quotes on deification and theosis. Philip Barlow said, "There is obviously a sense in which the various deification allusions here considered have only verbal similarities to Mormon understandings of exaltation. I therefore do not wish to be misunderstood as implying that any or all of the thinkers referred to herein thought of theosis just as the Mormons do." (Kurt Van Gordon, Can Man Progress To Godhood? 1992, citing Philip Barlow). In Gordan’s list is also Dr. Hugh Nibley, he also has noted differences and even mentioned how some of the early Christians versions of deification included the idea that in being deified, eventually they wouldn’t have any need for a body in the eternities to come. Certainly Mormons wouldn’t agree with Origen and other Fathers who taught that God the Father didn’t have a body of flesh and bones, like Christ does, although Christ’s body is now glorified and perfected in the resurrection. Hence, Mormons would perhaps agree that mankind can be perfected. But they would disagree with Origen when he says that God the Father is "incorporeal". And as noted earlier, many Mormons wouldn’t disagree with the Origen's views, (which seem to have been a results of platonic hellenizational influences of the schools), that in the eternities "bodies will be dispensed with". And that we are to think of the "Trinity alone as existing incorporeally." And so it seems that while Origen was defending the bodily birth of Christ, & the resurrection of the body against the attacks of Celsus. Origen may have had difficulties with coming to grips with the doctrine from time to time, in light of his schooling. And because the doctrine was fast becoming more and more unpopular with many hellenized Christians, who must have also labored with it too. However, despite this, & other things in Origen's writings which Mormons would not agree with, we still see a rich support for deification in Origen defense against Celsus. The Ante-Nicene Father, (Grand Rapids, Michigan: WM. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company; T & T Clark, Edinburgh, reprinted, May 1989), in 10 volumes, see vol. 4, pp. 241—249,Origen, A.D. 185-230-254, Origen De Principiis, Preface 8—10; Book 1, chapter 1; chapter 2; Huge Nibley’s 1953 radio show series on KSL in Salt Lake City, Utah, entitled: Time Vindicates The Prophets, later published in the series, The Collected Works of Huge Nibley, see volume 3. See also:Lenet H. Read’s series of articles: How the Bible Came to Be, published in The Ensign, (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1982), series ran from January 1982 through September 1982, see: Part 4: The Canon Becomes an Unread Relic, see: The Ensign, April 1982, pp. 45 & 48, see notes 17 & 18. Fred Gladstone Batton, A History of the Bible (Boston: Beacon Press, 1969), pp. 290—293).

Hence, it seems that anti-Mormon “Christian” apologists have either continued to suppress the fact that LDS Apologists, and Scholars have continually noted, written about, talked about, and published the fact that they have also noted that the LDS’ version of deification, and statements that have been made by a number of early Christian Fathers, which sound similar, are to be considered in light of what the same early Christians also had to say about what God, Christ and the Godhead were like. Hence, the different versions would then be based on what type of “god” they were becoming, in becoming “God” or “gods,” for it would thus be based on how they understood God, Christ, or the Godhead to be like.

Darell Thorpe, radio talk show host on KZZI 1510 AM Radio in West Jordan, Utah, during 1987--1988, had Van Hale on a guest a number of times, to talk about the similarities and to acknowledge and talk about the differences between LDS beliefs and the early Christian Fathers, but also talk about the similarities between early anti-Christian writers and modern anti-Mormon “Christian” writings too. (Out of the Best Books, 1987--1988, KZZI 1510 AM Radio, West Jordan, Utah).

In recent years, the same types of charges have been claimed against Dr. Daniel C. Peterson, LDS Apologist, Scholar with Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies, FARMS in Provo, Utah. See on the Internet: Zion’s Lighthouse, Message Board, A Forum Board for Academians, Apologists, and Skeptics Interested in things LDS, Established September, Year 2000; see posting in: LDS Criticisms / Nature of Man, DD: DCP Decontextualizes ECT - www.ezboard.com. Responses that Dr. Daniel C. Peterson has made to charges about taking out of context statements made about deification by Early Christian Fathers = EFC. Anti-Mormon “Christian” Dan DeMura, Posts 38: 10-24-2000, 6:47:59 AM: Reply: “I grow weary of repeating myself, Dr. Peterson and Mormon Apologists with to draw “parallels” but refuse to acknowledge the ECF [Early Christian Fathers] held a different WORLD VIEW and held a different VIEW of the relationship between GOD and MAN than do Mormons. . . thus it IS TWISTING OF WORDS to attempt to draw “parallels” from these mere WORDS that sound the same as mormon dogma.”

Dr. Daniel C. Peterson responds to this by saying how that he has “never denied that there are differences, even highly significant differences, between patristic views of theosis and the Latter-day Saint notion of eternal progression. Quite the contrary. I have repeatedly said, in print, that the view of theosis in the Fathers is distinct from that held by Latter-day Saints. As an example, consider a passage from the very work in which, Mr. DeMura charges, I deliberately and consciously attempted to deceive my readers into thinking that there are no differences between patristic theosis and Latter-day Saint theosis: “We are, of course, under no illusions that such figures as Athanasius and the Byzantine fathers -- given their very different metaphysical and theological presuppositions -- understood theosis in precisely the same way as do the Latter-day Saints.” (Daniel C. Peterson and Stephen D. Ricks, Offenders for a Word: How Anti-Mormons Play Word Games to Attack the Latter-day Saints, (Salt Lake City, Utah: Aspen Books, 1992), p. 76). Addressing the same issue concerning parallels, but also differences between the LDS version of deification and many of the early Christian Fathers, Van Hale, an LDS apologists, said to James White, a Christian apologists, that he acknowledged that there were some differences, that though there are statements that sound similar, they don’t mean exactly the same things in a number of cases. James White claimed that the Christians’ views of deification were closer to the early Christians’ versions, than the LDS’ version of deification. Claiming that inasmuch as they held the same types of views about God as modern Christians do, it “destroys” the LDS use of parallels “completely”. Van Hale and Martin Tanner pointed out that there were a number of Christian scholars, there were outside of the LDS position that noted that, the LDS version of deification is closer than the versions that a number of Christian apologist claim. (Radio shows on “K-Talk,”KTKK 630 AM Radio, Salt Lake City, Utah during the 1990's, Van Hale discussing deification, with James White, hosted by Martin Tanner on Religion on the Line).

Furthermore, Peterson and Ricks, with Martin Tanner, again on Religion on the Line, during the 1990s, made this same point, that even though the statement that “God became man so we could learn how to become Gods,” goes back and back through the centuries, to where its origins are unknown as to who first said it. That even though it sounds similar to what Lorenzo Snow said, it still isn’t to be considered in all cases as meaning exactly the same thing every time, especially in light of our understanding about what happened during the apostasy. Furthermore, Peterson later, on Zion’s Lighthouse’s Message Board on the Internet, also wrote in Posts: 18, dated 10-24-00 in reply to Dan DeMura, that “those who, like Mr. DeMura, attack me and accuse me of dishonestly for allegedly denying the differences and for claiming that humans can become ontologically like God are attacking a straw man of their own devising.” Dr. Peterson goes on to point out how that Greek philosophy, during the Hellenization period of the early centuries in historic Christianity, helped to shape later Christian versions of deification, hence, the very word “Ontology” is a “discipline that grows out of Greek philosophy and its appearance in patristic literature is a symptom of the Hellenization of the early church. In light of the fact, a Latter-day Saint such as myself. . . . is neither surprised nor even dismayed to see Hellenistic categories and modes of thought entering into patristic reasoning and distorting what the Fathers themselves acknowledge to have been an older doctrine.” Hence there were differences between the hellenized Christian fathers’ versions of deification, and “the earlier, relatively un-Hellenized Christians of the original church, and the Hebrews on whose foundation they built, held to a view of human deification much more close to that of the Latter-day Saints than was the teachings of Athanasius.” (See also: Daniel C. Peterson, “Ye Are Gods’: Psalm 82 and John 10 as Witnesses to the Divine Nature of Humankind, in Stephen D. Ricks, Donald W. Parry, and Andrew H. Hedges, eds., The Disciple as Scholar: Essays on Scripture and the Ancient World in Honor of Richard Lloyd Anderson,” (Provo, Utah: Foundation of Ancient Research and Mormon Studies, FARMS, 2000), 471--594; Keith Norman, Deification and the Content of Athanasian Soteriology,” a 1980 Duke University doctoral dissertation, to be published in November by FARMS, 1-800-FARMS-15). On the same Message Board, Posts: 18, 10-24-2000, Rory McKenzie wrote: “If I understand correctly, LDS apologists do not claim that the ante-Nicene Fathers whom they cite as supportive of deification were Mormons. The Church had already apostasized [cia] and most specifically LDS doctrines had been lost. When quoting the Fathers, all they are attempting to do is to prove that there appears here and there, however widely scattered, evidence of a truth which has subsequently been lost.” (See also: Barry Robert Bickmore, Restoring The Ancient Church, Joseph Smith & Early Christianity, (Ben Lomond, California: Foundation for Apologetic Information & Research, Inc. Also known as FAIR, 1999); Darell Thorpe's unpublished manuscripts and computer files (1986—1997); Jesus Christ's "Everlasting Gospel" and Ancient "Patternism" (1990); The Grand Pilgrimage: (Footnoting In & "Out of the Best Books"), Vol.1, Part 1, Issues 1-4, April-Aug, 1992; Daniel C. Peterson, Dr. and Stephen David Ricks, Professor: Offenders For A Word {How Anti-Mormons Play Word Games to Attack the Latter-day Saints}, (Salt Lake City, Utah: Aspen Books, 1992). Their article published under the title: Comparing LDS Beliefs With 1st Century Christianity, published in The Ensign, March 1988, p. 7-11, (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Eugene Seaich, Mormonism the Dead Sea Scrolls, and the Nag Hammadi Texts, (Murray, Utah: The Sounds of Zion, 1980); Seaich, Ancient Texts and Mormonism, (Murray, Utah: Sounds of Zion, 1983); F.A. Wright, 1928, Fathers of the Church, (London, England: George Routledge & Sons); Huge Nibley, Dr.(Series): The Collected Works of Huge Nibley, (Provo and Salt Lake City, Utah: Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies = F.A.R.M.S., and Deseret Book Company); volume 3: The World And The Prophets; volume 4: Mormonism and Early Christianity, (1987); Nibley, The Early Christian Church in the Light of Some Newly Discovered Papyri from Egypt, (Provo, Utah: F.A.R.M.S. reprint, Nibley 1985. From a talk given by Dr. Nibley during a Tri-Stake Fireside, Brigham Young University, March 3, 1964); James L . Barker, Apostasy From The Divine Church, (Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret News Press, 1960); Barker, The Divine Church, Down through Change, Apostasy therefrom, and Restoration, (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, The Council of The Twelve Apostles, 1952, CR David O. McKay 1951), three volumes: 1952, 1953, 1954; Jaroslav Pelikan, The Illustrated Jesus Through The Centuries, (New Haven & London: Yale University Press, 1997); Jaroslav Pelikan, The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition, (Chicago & London: University of Chicago Press, 1971); Jaroslav Pelikan, The Spirit of Eastern Christendom, (Chicago & London: University of Chicago Press, 1974). Nibley, The Collected Works of Huge Nibley, vol.1, Old Testament And Related Studies, p.150. In earlier centuries, deification was considered as being part of the resurrection. The body would be raised up out of the grave & clothed in a glorified body. Some to different degrees of glory than others (1 Corinthians chapter 15). However, there were some heretical sects who rejected the physical resurrection in those earlier centuries, while in later centuries the doctrine of a physical resurrection, in some cases was rejected and changed, for by the time of St. Augustine, many had settled for a spiritual resurrection only. Hence, the later versions of deification that were influenced by anti-body, spirit resurrection elements, that corrupted later version of deification, the LDS wouldn’t agree with, or find parallels with in their own version of deification. The Ante-Nicene Fathers, 4: p. 475, bk.3, chap.28 & p.509 bk. 4 chap.29-30 & p.547, bk.5 chap. x & xiv-xix pp.549-551; The Early Christian Church in the Light of Some Newly Discovered Papyri from Egypt, by Huge Nibley, pp.12-13; Apostasy to Restoration, Lyon, pp.89-91.

Last edited:
Upvote 0