May 3, 2015
✟9,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I just don't get it. I can show you point for point that the doctrine of the Book of Mormon is the same as in the Bible. It is very clear that salvation comes throught the work of Jesus Christ. The BoM says there is no other name under heaven by which we must be saved. It also makes it clear that Jesus is God, even that it was through the power of Jesus that all things were created, meaning that Jesus was not a created being. I know the arguments against the BoM, but they all seem to be contrived and/or straw men. I love the Lord Jesus Christ, and I love the Book of Mormon. I am saved through the atoning work of Jesus Christ on the cross. Everything I believe outside of that are non-salvation issues. Unless you are saying that a wrong belief can negate salvation I don't understand how you can say that a belief in the BoM can negate salvation.

Last edited by a moderator:

He is Risen 72

Colossians 2:14 The Law is nailed to the Cross!!
Sep 3, 2013
Michigan
✟27,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whats wrong with the Book on Mormon? Let’s see what the Holy Scripture says about the book of Mormon and its “profit” Joseph Smith…

Deuteronomy 4:2
Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.

Deuteronomy 12:32
See that you do all I command you; do not add to it or take away from it.

Proverbs 30:6
Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Revelation 22:18-19
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

Matthew 7:15–24
"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. . . . For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect – if that were possible. See, I have told you ahead of time"

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Whats wrong with the Book on Mormon? Let’s see what the Holy Scripture says about the book of Mormon and its “profit” Joseph Smith…

Deuteronomy 4:2
Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.

Deuteronomy 12:32
See that you do all I command you; do not add to it or take away from it.

Proverbs 30:6
Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Revelation 22:18-19
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

The Bible itself would fail this test of literalness, as Proverbs was obviously written after Deuteronomy and Revelation was obviously added after Proverbs.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I just don't get it. I can show you point for point that the doctrine of the Book of Mormon is the same as in the Bible. It is very clear that salvation comes throught the work of Jesus Christ. The BoM says there is no other name under heaven by which we must be saved. It also makes it clear that Jesus is God, even that it was through the power of Jesus that all things were created, meaning that Jesus was not a created being. I know the arguments against the BoM, but they all seem to be contrived and/or straw men. I love the Lord Jesus Christ, and I love the Book of Mormon. I am saved through the atoning work of Jesus Christ on the cross. Everything I believe outside of that are non-salvation issues. Unless you are saying that a wrong belief can negate salvation I don't understand how you can say that a belief in the BoM can negate salvation.

There are differences between the Bible and the Book of Mormon, but there is a lot that is the same. A lot of the Bible was copied into the BoM, so therefore, there are lots of similarities. The problem is not the Book of Mormon, if I am to assume you are asking why Christians have an issue with LDS theology. The problem Christians have problems with LDS theology is because of the Doctrines & Covenants, which does contain lots of stuff that is in direct contradiction to the Bible, as well as the later development of the first vision and the problems that that "founding event" causes.

Reactions: Winepress777
Upvote 0

Songsmith

May 3, 2015
✟9,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are differences between the Bible and the Book of Mormon, but there is a lot that is the same. A lot of the Bible was copied into the BoM, so therefore, there are lots of similarities. The problem is not the Book of Mormon, if I am to assume you are asking why Christians have an issue with LDS theology. The problem Christians have problems with LDS theology is because of the Doctrines & Covenants, which does contain lots of stuff that is in direct contradiction to the Bible, as well as the later development of the first vision and the problems that that "founding event" causes.

2 Nephi:
19 And now this I speak because of the Spirit which is in me;
20 And notwithstanding that they have been carried away,
they shall return again and possess
the Land of Jerusalem;
Wherefore, they shall be restored again
to the lands of their inheritance.
21 But behold, they shall have wars and rumors of wars;
And when the day cometh that the Only Begotten of the
Father, yea, even the Father of heaven and of earth,
shall manifest Himself unto them in the flesh,
Behold, they will reject Him
because of priestcrafts
and the hardness of their hearts
and the stiffness of their necks-
22 Behold, they will crucify Him.

And after that He is laid in a sepulcher for the space
of three days, He shall rise from the dead
with healing in His wings;
And all they that shall believe on His name
shall be saved in the kingdom of God;

This is what I believe. This is found in the Book of Mormon. I can show you a dozen or more times where this sentiment is found. As far as that Doctrine and Covenants is concerned, there are two versions of that (at least) and I can show you in the RLDS version where the same thing is stated time and time again. I'm sorry, but I have not studied the LDS version as I am not mormon.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

No, you can't. Part of it is taken from the Bible and other parts attack the Bible!

Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 13: 24-29
24 And the angel of the Lord said unto me: Thou hast beheld that the book proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew; and when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew it contained the fulness of the gospel of the Lord, of whom the twelve apostles bear record; and they bear record according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.

25 Wherefore, these things go forth from the Jews in purity unto the Gentiles, according to the truth which is in God.
26 And after they go forth by the hand of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, from the Jews unto the Gentiles, thou seest the formation of that great and abominable church, which is most abominable above all other churches; for behold, they have taken away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away.

27 And all this have they done that they might pervert the right ways of the Lord, that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of men.

28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.

I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.
Joseph Smith, History of the Church, 4:461

Even though some of you may be fully occupied with families and have little time for other things at this stage of your lives, you can enlarge your minds and broaden your understanding through the reading of good books . . . You may think you are too busy. Ten or fifteen minutes a day with the scriptures, and particularly with the Book of Mormon, can give you marvelous understanding of the power of the Almighty for the blessing of His children.
Gordon B. Hinckley, “Rise to the Stature of the Divine within You,” Ensign, Nov 1989, 94

Upvote 0

yesyoushould

Jan 14, 2015
✟1,398.00
Faith
Christian
No, you can't. Part of it is taken from the Bible and other parts attack the Bible!

Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 13: 24-29
24 And the angel of the Lord said unto me: Thou hast beheld that the book proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew; and when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew it contained the fulness of the gospel of the Lord, of whom the twelve apostles bear record; and they bear record according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.

25 Wherefore, these things go forth from the Jews in purity unto the Gentiles, according to the truth which is in God.
26 And after they go forth by the hand of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, from the Jews unto the Gentiles, thou seest the formation of that great and abominable church, which is most abominable above all other churches; for behold, they have taken away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away.

27 And all this have they done that they might pervert the right ways of the Lord, that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of men.

28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.

I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.
Joseph Smith, History of the Church, 4:461

Even though some of you may be fully occupied with families and have little time for other things at this stage of your lives, you can enlarge your minds and broaden your understanding through the reading of good books . . . You may think you are too busy. Ten or fifteen minutes a day with the scriptures, and particularly with the Book of Mormon, can give you marvelous understanding of the power of the Almighty for the blessing of His children.
Gordon B. Hinckley, “Rise to the Stature of the Divine within You,” Ensign, Nov 1989, 94

Let's be honest though, evil ones covet evil ways and Gods children belong unto God alone.

It s so much easier to just separate good and evil into two separate groups. Instead of speaking of a mysterious "church" 'that wishes to corrupt people."

Upvote 0

ivanc0

Apr 26, 2015
✟15,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's be honest though, evil ones covet evil ways and Gods children belong unto God alone.

It s so much easier to just separate good and evil into two separate groups. Instead of speaking of a mysterious "church" 'that wishes to corrupt people."

The catholic, Greek orthodox, Coptic, Ethiopian churches keep the bible for our benefit. and today we thrash them as rubbish forgetting we have a bible thanks to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yesyoushould

Jan 14, 2015
✟1,398.00
Faith
Christian
The catholic, Greek orthodox, Coptic, Ethiopian churches keep the bible for our benefit. and today we thrash them as rubbish forgetting we have a bible thanks to them.

Thank God for the KJ Bible. God forbid we "thrash" the Bible. I'm just glad we don't have a version from the one's who "thrashed" Christ. Who knows what it'd be about, maybe trying to rule the world and verbally murdering everybody in sight.

Upvote 0

ivanc0

Apr 26, 2015
✟15,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank God for the KJ Bible. God forbid we "thrash" the Bible. I'm just glad we don't have a version from the one's who "thrashed" Christ. Who knows what it'd be about, maybe trying to rule the world and verbally murdering everybody in sight.
You do, KJ version is just the catholic bible traduced to English, there is not difference.
You talk as KJ has been translated from Martian, and do not forget the motives the British had to separate from the catholic Church, Was about some divorce of a king that wants to Marry another woman...... So Your precious KJ is just the result of adultery in the royal British family. (With all my respect)

Upvote 0

ivanc0

Apr 26, 2015
✟15,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

OK problems with the BoM.

Nephi, name cames from Nephilim.
Lamanites.... descend from Natives from Siberia, not DNA from middle east in them, and I am a 1st hand witness as I has some of this blood.
Nephites. white and beautiful red necks, classic racist idea of 1800's
Lamanites, Dirty and uggly and cursed By God. another racist Idea. typical of colony.
Horses, extinguised in america 2 million years early.
sheep, wheat, barley (not existent in Native america) but no way the early 1800 americans will know that.
No archeological evidence, no metals, wheels , arms, etc, american cultures develop to the bronce age, no steel in them like in the BoM.
Nephy kills in cold blood his uncle while the uncle drunk, will deserve dead penalty this days for killing in cold blood a disabled man.
The BoM condems Poligamy, early Mormons practised, the temptation to have diversity of fun sex was stronger than the commandment of Jesus to have one wife.
the easy test about the Lamanites is the DNA, and you find no Israelite blood in them. they are proud descendants of the inhabitants of Siberia.
.....More....

Upvote 0

ivanc0

Apr 26, 2015
✟15,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't get the part where it is taught that Jesus is the brother of Satan.

I understand the verse about "a brother is born for adversity." I don't get the "Satan's related to Jesus" part though.

Same as the bible, read 1 and 2do chapters of book of Job.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This is what I believe. This is found in the Book of Mormon. I can show you a dozen or more times where this sentiment is found. As far as that Doctrine and Covenants is concerned, there are two versions of that (at least) and I can show you in the RLDS version where the same thing is stated time and time again. I'm sorry, but I have not studied the LDS version as I am not mormon.

Are you RLDS, Songsmith? If you are RLDS, you will have a very tough time posting here as both the LDS and the mainstream Christians will be against you. And you will need to say, at the beginning of each post, "I am not LDS".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I understand the verse about "a brother is born for adversity." I don't get the "Satan's related to Jesus" part though.

That isn't in the Book of Mormon.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

If you believe the Book of Mormon came from God, you believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. So you have to swallow the whole ball of wax unless you're from a different denomination that follows Joseph Smith than the one in Salt Lake City.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single

Everyone is a spirit child of God.

This includes Jesus, Satan, and all of us.

Most critics of the church make it a point to deliberately skew this concept by removing the middle for the sake of shock value.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Nephi, name cames from Nephilim.

[citation needed]

Lamanites.... descend from Natives from Siberia, not DNA from middle east in them, and I am a 1st hand witness as I has some of this blood.

So nothing scientific to back things up?

Nephites. white and beautiful red necks, classic racist idea of 1800's
Lamanites, Dirty and uggly and cursed By God. another racist Idea. typical of colony.

Here, "white" and "dark" are comparative terms, not direct descriptions of their specific colors.

Horses, extinguised in america 2 million years early.
sheep, wheat, barley (not existent in Native america) but no way the early 1800 americans will know that.

Translation isn't an exact science, and so common modern names could have been used for indigenous materials.

No archeological evidence, no metals, wheels , arms, etc, american cultures develop to the bronce age, no steel in them like in the BoM.

Even the Smithsonian got schooled on this one.

Nephy kills in cold blood his uncle while the uncle drunk, will deserve dead penalty this days for killing in cold blood a disabled man.

Laban wasn't his uncle. Where do you get this from?

The BoM condems Poligamy, early Mormons practised, the temptation to have diversity of fun sex was stronger than the commandment of Jesus to have one wife.

This tells me that you've not actually read the Book of Mormon.

Jacob 2:30 - For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.

Upvote 0

Songsmith

May 3, 2015
✟9,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are you RLDS, Songsmith? If you are RLDS, you will have a very tough time posting here as both the LDS and the mainstream Christians will be against you. And you will need to say, at the beginning of each post, "I am not LDS".

I grew up RLDS, though they have changed their name to the community of Christ. I am now more closely affiliated with a restoration group. In 1984 the then named RLDS church voted to accept women into the priesthood and it split the church. Those who left became known as restorationists. I feel the Spirit of God moving among these independent branches in a more powerful way than in the C of C.

As far as a lack of archaeological evidence for the book of Mormon, I find that charge laughable. Anybody who thinks that should look up on YouTube a guy by the name of Wayne May. He has a one and a half hour video that puts that notion to rest. I think he's Mormon, but his work is important and impeccable.

Upvote 0