Unknown
✟681,328.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are a lot like my son Wayholka. He is 21 and a very good kid and I love him to pieces but I don't fully understand how little discipline commands really tear him up and he takes it to hart.

I kind of wish more people were like him because he is correct in his ways because they are more advanced than my ways.

Me and my kid do a lot together and on the weekends we go shopping and browsing and just little stuff like me telling him that he needs to stop buying so much military stuff really upsets him and to him it runes the whole day.

Just this week I learned something from him. Like I said we go out often and I have always noticed that sometime thru out the day he will say "this has been a good day" and to me it is no different than any other day we have out but I am realizing that he is relived and happy that I did not get onto him for anything.

My son was a very good child and I miss those days so much because he was so easy to raise and once he hit 18 he once again earned my respect. He told me one day that he has listened to my commands his whole life (and he is right he did) but that he is now 18 and I can no longer tell him what to do and he meant it.

Dealing with Asperger has been a great learning experience to me and I am so lucky I had my son because it has taught me that not everybody needs to be like me in order to be normal. I think I love my son more do to his ways than I would if he was not Asperger prone.

Sorry to hear your dad is a grump, maybe someday he will get some training in how to deal with you.

If I have insulted in some of my post I am sorry as I did not mean to.

I'm very happy you had a positive experience with having an Aspie for a son. You get organizations like Autism Speaks who portray us as burden on society that need to be cured so this post was a fresh air for me.

Thank you for this.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟836,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are a lot like my son Wayholka. He is 21 and a very good kid and I love him to pieces but I don't fully understand how little discipline commands really tear him up and he takes it to hart.

I kind of wish more people were like him because he is correct in his ways because they are more advanced than my ways.

Me and my kid do a lot together and on the weekends we go shopping and browsing and just little stuff like me telling him that he needs to stop buying so much military stuff really upsets him and to him it runes the whole day.

Just this week I learned something from him. Like I said we go out often and I have always noticed that sometime thru out the day he will say "this has been a good day" and to me it is no different than any other day we have out but I am realizing that he is relived and happy that I did not get onto him for anything.

My son was a very good child and I miss those days so much because he was so easy to raise and once he hit 18 he once again earned my respect. He told me one day that he has listened to my commands his whole life (and he is right he did) but that he is now 18 and I can no longer tell him what to do and he meant it.

Dealing with Asperger has been a great learning experience to me and I am so lucky I had my son because it has taught me that not everybody needs to be like me in order to be normal. I think I love my son more do to his ways than I would if he was not Asperger prone.

Sorry to hear your dad is a grump, maybe someday he will get some training in how to deal with you.

If I have insulted in some of my post I am sorry as I did not mean to.
This is very familiar to me. It was how my relationship was with my dad. I was always the 'good' kid in the family, rarely got into trouble, but was always the more emotional one. I tend to take things more to the heart than average people. It frustrates people, but it's how I am. It also lends to me being more creative. My dad and grandpa and most of the males in the family are mechanics, good with their hands, they can build and fix stuff with the snap of a finger.

It frustrated my dad that I would rather write books and be creative than take up a trade. I'm also the only college educated member of my family other than my grandpa. Now I'm a published author and started my own company writing books for business owners. I often wonder if he would be proud of me right now or what he would think.

I do know my grandpa is proud of me though, as different as we are. He told everyone that I started my own business, so when I made the rounds calling on Christmas, everyone asked me about it haha. It made me feel really good, because I always wanted my family to be proud of me.

But anyway, your post just reminded me of all of that :D

Upvote 0

Journey.In.Grace

Daughter of the One True King
Sep 2, 2013
Texas, US
✟159,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
This is very familiar to me. It was how my relationship was with my dad. I was always the 'good' kid in the family, rarely got into trouble, but was always the more emotional one. I tend to take things more to the heart than average people. It frustrates people, but it's how I am. It also lends to me being more creative. My dad and grandpa and most of the males in the family are mechanics, good with their hands, they can build and fix stuff with the snap of a finger.

It frustrated my dad that I would rather write books and be creative than take up a trade. I'm also the only college educated member of my family other than my grandpa. Now I'm a published author and started my own company writing books for business owners. I often wonder if he would be proud of me right now or what he would think.

I do know my grandpa is proud of me though, as different as we are. He told everyone that I started my own business, so when I made the rounds calling on Christmas, everyone asked me about it haha. It made me feel really good, because I always wanted my family to be proud of me.

But anyway, your post just reminded me of all of that :D

Wow, we are so much a like haha. I can seriously relate to being emotional and creative, and I know it frustrates others that I take things to heart and am hurt very easily. And hey! I say, write your books! That's what I'm doing.

• Friendly
Reactions: Saucy
Upvote 0

TheGirlOnFire

By order of the Peaky blinders
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2014
Hogwarts
✟124,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
IMG_0873.JPG

Upvote 0

TheGirlOnFire

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2014
Hogwarts
✟124,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm very happy you had a positive experience with having an Aspie for a son. You get organizations like Autism Speaks who portray us as burden on society that need to be cured so this post was a fresh air for me.

Thank you for this.

My 2 boys have autism and my 3rd son is getting assessed for it!

And they 3 are the most wonderful boys ever! They bring me so much joy in my life! Yeah sometimes it's Hard going when like M gets really obsessed with stuff or is really intense, I get asked everyday if I love him, or when in social situations they read things the wrong way! Or when they can't handle huge crowds etc My brother the other night was like I don't think they have autism because they are social and they are wonderful boys but I was like yeah they are high function it's a wide septum.

I personally wouldn't change my boys not any of it at all.

It's not a illness you guys just look at the world in a different way, and you give the world something different!

You have an amazing talent! You are not a burden and have brought joy too many people on this forum! Your input is really good

X

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheGirlOnFire

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2014
Hogwarts
✟124,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
The girls at work and I have all found out what our Hogwarts houses are and we frequently refer to that in conversations. ^_^

Ooohhh what house are you in ? Wait am going to make a thread lol

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0

alsughasoughaiuyfygh

Site Supporter
Aug 26, 2015
Unknown
✟681,328.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My 2 boys have autism and my 3rd son is getting assessed for it!

Darn. I alone was bad enough for my parents and I can't imagine them having to deal with three autistic kids. You certainly are a brave and resilient woman for having to walk through a mine field of raising two or three autistic kids.

And they 3 are the most wonderful boys ever! They bring me so much joy in my life! Yeah sometimes it's Hard going when like M gets really obsessed with stuff or is really intense, I get asked everyday if I love him, or when in social situations they read things the wrong way! Or when they can't handle huge crowds etc My brother the other night was like I don't think they have autism because they are social and they are wonderful boys but I was like yeah they are high function it's a wide septum.

I have a cousin who also has Asperger's. He is far better adjusted than I am and is currently in the military as a mechanical-electrical engineer. He even went to a gifted school. Sometimes I wonder if he's really autistic at all or if he's just a very big nerd.

I personally wouldn't change my boys not any of it at all.

It's not a illness you guys just look at the world in a different way, and you give the world something different!

After all the social screw ups, meltdowns, sensory issues, poor short-term memory, medications, hospital stays, psychologists, emotional problems and lack of life skills, I would say it's an illness. It's hard to understand an illness if you have never had it yourself. It gets even more frustrating when you are stereotyped as a genius because of media portrayals.

You have an amazing talent! You are not a burden and have brought joy too many people on this forum! Your input is really good

X

I'm flattered. I do feel that I could be doing better as there is always room for improvement. Thank you for your encouragement.

Upvote 0

OcifferPls

Berean Baptist
Oct 27, 2016
The Frigid North
✟26,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What's this... another fanboy? I'd bet it's Paulie, although, I'd be amused to find out it's really some feminist whom I scorned in years past. Regardless, this place really creeps me out some times.

In other news, I got lost today and ended up in the parking lot of a strange 7/11 while I looked up directions. I was thinking to myself, "this is the wrong neighborhood," when suddenly, 6 Orthodox Jews dressed in black attire came at me from various directions, as if death itself were descending upon me. One of them even looked at me strangely as he quickly shuffled past my parking spot.

Upvote 0

TheGirlOnFire

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2014
Hogwarts
✟124,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Darn. I alone was bad enough for my parents and I can't imagine them having to deal with three autistic kids. You certainly are a brave and resilient woman for having to walk through a mine field of raising two or three autistic kids.

I have a cousin who also has Asperger's. He is far better adjusted than I am and is currently in the military as a mechanical-electrical engineer. He even went to a gifted school. Sometimes I wonder if he's really autistic at all or if he's just a very big nerd.

After all the social screw ups, meltdowns, sensory issues, poor short-term memory, medications, hospital stays, psychologists, emotional problems and lack of life skills, I would say it's an illness. It's hard to understand an illness if you have never had it yourself. It gets even more frustrating when you are stereotyped as a genius because of media portrayals.

I'm flattered. I do feel that I could be doing better as there is always room for improvement. Thank you for your encouragement.

They don't use Asperger here as a term anymore and just use the word autism. They would say M had Aspergers if they used the term.

Thank you W, you just do it and to me that is just them and we cope and manage but most of all is the love and what god has done for us.

I know I've never had autism but seeing my boys i would just see them as being them I think if people are being hospitalised and stuff then it's the way they are being treated and the situation they are getting put into, i know people at the higher end of the scale can have zero communication and that must be really tough!

Everyone has room for improvement! I look forward too more of your work

Xxx

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
They don't use Asperger here as a term anymore and just use the word autism. They would say M had Aspergers if they used the term.

It's all a bit of blanket diagnosis now - but then, autism is so impossibly complex, that no one individual is going to have the same autistic traits that the next person is going to have. And there's certainly no defining criteria.

Some might say lack of social skills is a universally accepted trait, but then, I think of an autistic friend of mine who's been on the road travelling with the circus for years now, and he's about as charismatic and as extroverted as you could ever find.

This is why autism is still so difficult to grasp and accommodate. It's not what people think it is.

Upvote 0

TheGirlOnFire

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2014
Hogwarts
✟124,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
It's all a bit of blanket diagnosis now - but then, autism is so impossibly complex, that no one individual is going to have the same autistic traits that the next person is going to have. And there's certainly no defining criteria.

Some might say lack of social skills is a universally accepted trait, but then, I think of an autistic friend of mine who's been on the road travelling with the circus for years now, and he's about as charismatic and as extroverted as you could ever find.

This is why autism is still so difficult to grasp and accommodate. It's not what people think it is.

Gosh yeah all 3 of my boys are so different!

I would my youngest is 95% autistic they just need to rubber stamp it! It's more for the school etc to me they are still them and that's it!

Actually there is defining criteria they work within a frame work. They said M is unusual in certain things like rather than not have eye contact his eye contact is very intense. They also do certain body language or facial expressions and look at how they react too to. For example they put a chair a certain way and when they sat down they didn't move it at all.

Upvote 0

alsughasoughaiuyfygh

Site Supporter
Aug 26, 2015
Unknown
✟681,328.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Gosh yeah all 3 of my boys are so different!

I would my youngest is 95% autistic they just need to rubber stamp it! It's more for the school etc to me they are still them and that's it!

Actually there is defining criteria they work within a frame work. They said M is unusual in certain things like rather than not have eye contact his eye contact is very intense. They also do certain body language or facial expressions and look at how they react too to. For example they put a chair a certain way and when they sat down they didn't move it at all.

For me, I was a textbook example. The only thing I deviated from was a lack of empathy. I shocked a lot of doctors growing up by being able to show empathy and doing all these unorthodox fundraising for charities.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.