✟72,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So the flood?
Noah preached righteousness for 120 years and no one would listen. People still mock him today. The flood was an accident waiting to happen. He warned them and warned them.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Christianity as a rule has always spoken out against suicide, as we are not to self determine the expiration of what God had given us, putting our will ahead of His. Does the same principle not apply to those who seek medical attention when they have say appendicitis, a stroke or perhaps sepsis? Could that not have been God's way of cashing in our chips and we in seeking man's help, rebel against His will in that way also, the outcome being all but guaranteed? How many here would have died years ago without human intervention?
Some people certainly think so.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I am getting on all right without the advantages of commercial genealogy, thank you. It is, in my opinion, one of the dodgier misuses of the discoveries relating to DNA.

I don't know... I think DNA geneology is kind of cool. I learned I had ancestors that were in the Irish potato famine, and left Ireland most likely for being Catholic and being unwilling to be "soupers". That's something my family never talked about.

I also learned I have a little Italian or North African DNA, which fits with a theory that I had that some of my ancestors may have been Waldensians. Again, not something anybody in my family knew a great deal about, except that some of my ancestors were Hugenots (it turns out, some Hugenots had been Waldensians before the Reformation, so that's the basis of how I got Italian DNA).

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,325.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know... I think DNA geneology is kind of cool. I learned I had ancestors that were in the Irish potato famine, and left Ireland most likely for being Catholic and being unwilling to be "soupers". That's something my family never talked about.

I also learned I have a little Italian or North African DNA, which fits with a theory that I had that some of my ancestors may have been Waldensians. Again, not something anybody in my family knew a great deal about, except that some of my ancestors were Hugenots (it turns out, some Hugenots had been Waldensians before the Reformation, so that's the basis of how I got Italian DNA).
I see the attraction. I am just a little cautious about how specific some of the results can be. If I ever bothered to have my DNA analysed in this way I would expect a range of possibilities - and be prepared for surprises. I am sure there would be Scandinavian, Celtic and English (Anglo-Saxon), but why not Norman, Roman, Syrian? Many people came to the British Isles and settled here. DNA has a way of, well, getting about.

My putative Syrian ancestry could be through Roman soldiers garrisoned in Britain in the 400 hundred years when it was part of the Roman Empire. My almost certain Scandinavian forebears were in charge in my part of the world for centuries - the Danelaw. Rape and pillage by the Vikings was only a small part of it.

I don't know what to make of 'Italian DNA'. Italians will have a wide range of ancestors themselves including Gauls, Danes, Goths and Greeks; all of these were in Italy in ancient days - and they didn't all keep their DNA to themselves! Slaves from every part of the known world were taken to Rome, and most of them were eventually freed, and intermarried.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Were they paying carbon tax?
They paid taxes, tithes, and tributes. Usually, they were low but the rates could go as high as 10% in time of war. We still have the clay tablets that they kept their records on.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Everything we have has potential
for misuse, including the stone arrowhead.

You have the right idea

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christianity as a rule has always spoken out against suicide, as we are not to self determine the expiration of what God had given us, putting our will ahead of His. Does the same principle not apply to those who seek medical attention when they have say appendicitis, a stroke or perhaps sepsis? Could that not have been God's way of cashing in our chips and we in seeking man's help, rebel against His will in that way also, the outcome being all but guaranteed? How many here would have died years ago without human intervention?
People have always sought human intervention.
When they took the sick to Jesus, he had compassion on them and healed them. He didn't say "we've all got to die one day and maybe this is your time."

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God created everything including a limited shelf life and the culprits that bring about our demise.
No, sickness, decay and death came along as a result of the fall. God did not create man in his own image, declare that creation to be good and then say "and here's a bunch of sicknesses to finish you off one day."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, sickness, decay and death came along as a result of the fall. God did not create man in his own image, declare that creation to be good and then say "and here's a bunch of sicknesses to finish you off one day."
IF there is such a god he created all the evils too.
We doubt your quote was ever quoted but it's exactly what
the book says happened.

Just why torturing billions of creatures was called for,
you go figure.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The option was always there, hence the choice of taking the tree of life.
That suggests that God wanted them to disobey him, eat the forbidden fruit and bring death into the world.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Could that not have been God's way of cashing in our chips and we in seeking man's help
No, we are given 70 - 80 years. We can even add to that and there are people who live to be 120. We should not seek to end our life because we miss out on what God intends for us to gain from our life here on Earth. This has always been sad for me the people who die so early in life that they do not get a chance to experience what life is like. Of course, they will be raised up at the resurrection like everyone else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isiah 45:7 in the BIBLE would disagree, but what does the BIBLE know.
The New Testament, which talks about Jesus' birth, ministry etc, says that God is love.
Jesus, who was God, told us that God is perfect, Matthew 5:48, and that he is a loving Father who knows how to give good things to those who ask him. When he was once asked if a tower fell on some people and killed them because they had sinned, he said "no", Luke 13:4-5.
The New Testament says that Jesus laid down his life for sinners, those who did not deserve mercy from God. Romans 5:8, 1 Peter 2:10. That he was made sin for us, 2 Corinthians 5:21.
The New Testament says that through Jesus we have peace and reconciliation with God, Romans 5:1, Romans 5:12.
James says that every good and perfect gift is from God, James 1:17

It's not the BIBLE which says that God created evil, but the Old Testament - in which people did not have the full revelation of God.
The New Testament does not say that. The message of Jesus, and the cross, is that Christ gave his life for sin, Mark 10:45, Matthew 26:28. As he has borne the punishment for our sin, God does not punish again by making people ill.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The New Testament, which talks about Jesus' birth, ministry etc, says that God is love.
Jesus, who was God, told us that God is perfect, Matthew 5:48, and that he is a loving Father who knows how to give good things to those who ask him. When he was once asked if a tower fell on some people and killed them because they had sinned, he said "no", Luke 13:4-5.
The New Testament says that Jesus laid down his life for sinners, those who did not deserve mercy from God. Romans 5:8, 1 Peter 2:10. That he was made sin for us, 2 Corinthians 5:21.
The New Testament says that through Jesus we have peace and reconciliation with God, Romans 5:1, Romans 5:12.
James says that every good and perfect gift is from God, James 1:17

It's not the BIBLE which says that God created evil, but the Old Testament - in which people did not have the full revelation of God.
The New Testament does not say that. The message of Jesus, and the cross, is that Christ gave his life for sin, Mark 10:45, Matthew 26:28. As he has borne the punishment for our sin, God does not punish again by making people ill.
So one has to take the ot with one
of those grains of salt.

Upvote 0