Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've never driven down the road and seen a "non-denominational" Church. But I've seen every other kind. Why?

Most nondenominational churches don’t list it in the name. I attend a nondenominational church which is called Filipino American Alliance Church. Nondenominational just means they don’t claim to be a church of any particular group of Christianity. Like Catholic, Lutheran, Pentecostal etc.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can go to whichever church that have sound biblical doctrine.

But heads up a lot of the sacraments are basically void in a non-denominational Church. It’s a pretty bare bones approach.

What happens at a non-denominational gathering?

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are two aspects to non-denominationalism that I'm aware of. The first is the overt ecclesial authority structure. A non-denom will be essentially autonomous, or may be a member of a family of churches. Hierarchy is kept to a minimum.

The second aspect is a turning away from an overemphasis on secondary doctrines that divide us unnecessarily. Instead, the focus in placed on the person and completed work of the Lord and on what He wants to do in the life of each individual and in the community. Often this perspective goes hand in hand with a more expressive, and perhaps more intense, form of corporate worship.

Can I go to a non-denominal Church? Even though I'm Catholic?
You would have to consult your elders on that, but from what I've read on it, as an RC you are allowed to attend other churches, but for reasons that escape me you are not allowed to participate in their Communion services even though no one is claiming that the elements used in those services present the physical Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Well I attend right now my parents church, which is Pentecostal. The only non denom I’ve attended is Hillsong. But their structure is 50% worship songs, 35% sermon and 15% prayers and announcements on what’s going on in the church and how people can participate.

• Informative
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I attend right now my parents church, which is Pentecostal. The only non denom I’ve attended is Hillsong. But their structure is 50% worship songs, 35% sermon and 15% prayers and announcements on what’s going on in the church and how people can participate.

Wow, Hillsong is a mighty big one.

hillsong-media-header-1180x450.jpg

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I've seen that. So that's the same thing then?
Frequently a Community Church has in attendance people from different denominational backgrounds, thus non-denominational. That is what the Community Church in my town looks like.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I've seen that. So that's the same thing then?
Actually, that's not certain. While there is a good chance that it is, some denominational churches have taken to changing their names to "_______ Community Church" because there are a lot of people who feel that they don't want to be told what to believe or something else that they associate with denominational, affiliated, congregations.

As for the question about a Catholic worshipping in a non-denominational church, the Catholic Church would disapprove of it, just the same as if the non-denom was a denominational church.

• Informative
Upvote 0

AnnaDeborah

Aug 5, 2018
private
✟30,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From the non-denom church's point of view, most will (and all should!) welcome anyone to attend a service. From your own point of view, you should ask your own priest if you are concerned about your own church's viewpoint. In my previous church, we did have one Catholic lady who attended regularly, but I have no idea if she did so with or without her priest's permission (she eventually left the Catholic church completely, so maybe she wasn't bothered about their views when she started coming).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
By and large, non-denominational churches are either Baptist for all intents and purposes, except not affiliated with any convention, or else they are Pentecostal. And those two families of faith are fairly similar anyway.

It is rare to find a non-denom that has a statement of beliefs that is very far removed from these two branches of Christianity, although they may have taken a stand on fewer issues. A lot can be learned by taking a peek at the church's website.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As for the question about a Catholic worshipping in a non-denominational church, the Catholic Church would disapprove of it, just the same as if the non-denom was a denominational church.
Are you saying that one who is non-denominational would have a problem with someone from their church worshiping at a denominational church?

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Wow, Hillsong is a mighty big one.

View attachment 237681

lol cyeeaaahhhhh.....but that's probably a picture of their conference. A regular Hillsong church would be about 300-400 in attendance... but then they have 4-5 services on Sunday, so maybe 1200-2000 on a Sunday.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that one who is non-denominational would have a problem with someone from their church worshiping at a denominational church?
No. I am saying that the RCC does not approve of its members worshipping in "non-Catholic" churches, regardless of whether they are denominational or non-denominational.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By and large, non-denominational churches are either Baptist for all intents and purposes, except not affiliated with any convention, or else they are Pentecostal. And those two families of faith are fairly similar anyway.

It is rare to find a non-denom that has a statement of beliefs that is very far removed from these two branches of Christianity, although they may have taken a stand on fewer issues. A lot can be learned by taking a peek at the church's website.

I like the Pentecostals. But the Baptists..? I don't know -I sense negative energy from them. I've taken a lot of shots from them in the past.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. I am saying that the RCC does not approve of its members worshipping in "non-Catholic" churches, regardless of whether they are denominational or non-denominational.
Thanks, I agree with you.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I've never driven down the road and seen a "non-denominational" Church. But I've seen every other kind. Why?
I think non-denomination churches give themselves names other than "Nondenominational Church."

• Informative
Upvote 0

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some of the major denominations
Baptists - believe in water baptism as they're major tenet
Pentecostal - associate with Pentecost, when the Christian church was formed in Acts 2. believe in baptism in the Holy Spirit, speaking in tongues, prophecy and healing
Methodists - a Christian Protestant denomination originating in the 18th-century evangelistic movement of Charles and John Wesley and George Whitefield.
Lutheran - a denomination built off of Martin Luther

Upvote 0

AnnaDeborah

Aug 5, 2018
private
✟30,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I like the Pentecostals. But the Baptists..? I don't know -I sense negative energy from them. I've taken a lot of shots from them in the past.

Don't think you'd find much negative energy at the Baptist church I go to. And we've yet to take a shot at anyone :):):)

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It really doesn't mean much by a name. What's important it what they're teaching. Are they teaching God's word? That's what most important. You can always call a church before you attend and talk to the Pastor to get an idea of their philosophy, approach before attending or even check their website first (most have websites). It's always good to do your homework before making a commitment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0