What will Donald/David Use as an Excuse...?

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Most of the seats up for grabs are Democrat, IIRC. Right now, the DNC is able to pour all of their money and effort into these special elections to try and provide the appearance that Trump's win is a fluke. Once the actual main event occurs, I'm guessing that they won't be able to keep up the pace and falter.

If your theory was correct, then the GOP should have smashed them last night, because they spent considerably more money and had both the president and vice president personally come and endorse the candidate. The Republicans put significant money and effort into the race, and they still lost.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,477.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Most of the seats up for grabs are Democrat, IIRC. Right now, the DNC is able to pour all of their money and effort into these special elections to try and provide the appearance that Trump's win is a fluke. Once the actual main event occurs, I'm guessing that they won't be able to keep up the pace and falter.

I don't think they are pointing out the win was a fluke. Rather I think most believe this is a response to the chaos of his leadership style. While you are likely right on the monetary front you also have to take into consideration that his election has fired up the Dem base, most especially the female base, into taking action on a local level. I think this will help offset some of the Dems monetary woes.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
While you are likely right on the monetary front

He's not.

Connor Lamb: $3.1m raised and spent. Outside spending = additional $2.6m. Total spend around $5.6m.
Rick Saccone: $615k raised and spent. Outside spending = additional $10.7m. Total spend around $11.3m.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,477.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
He's not.

Connor Lamb: $3.1m raised and spent. Outside spending = additional $2.6m. Total spend around $5.6m.
Rick Saccone: $615k raised and spent. Outside spending = additional $10.7m. Total spend around $11.3m.

We are talking about on the national front. My understanding is the DNC is not doing so well on the financial side.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
We are talking about on the national front. My understanding is the DNC is not doing so well on the financial side.

The Democratic funding for their candidates isn't primarily funneled through the DNC anymore. There's been a pretty radical restructuring of operations in the wake of a decade of the DNC standing by and watching the party spiral into the abyss. Things are improving under Perez, but that's still not where the money is coming from.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"The Democrat in the race really embraced the President's policies and position, where he didn't embrace Nancy Pelosi and the Democratic leader," White House spokesman Raj Shah told reporters aboard Air Force One.

• Haha
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aah.....

5. The Democrat was really a Republican in sheep’s clothing.....

...I understand Lamb did campaign on issues important to the district instead of issues important to Democrats nationally. Additionally, I understand Saccone was an poor candidate and had a history of anti-labor....a point that would not sit well in S.W. PA....

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Finally, Lamb isn't a progressive. He's more of a conservative Democrat who personally opposes abortion and rejects gun control.

That's not quite what the President said on Monday:

"President Donald Trump on Monday reinforced his endorsement for Rick Saccone a day before Pennsylvania’s special election while at the same time criticizing Saccone's opponent as being allied with Nancy Pelosi.

“The Pittsburgh Post Gazette just endorsed Rick Saccone for Congress. He will be much better for steel and business. Very strong on experience and what our Country needs. Lamb will always vote for Pelosi and Dems....Will raise taxes, weak on Crime and Border,“ the president tweeted Monday morning."

Trump pushes support for Saccone a day before election

Was President Trump lying? Or did the voters not believe him?

No matter how you spin it, this really isn't good for Republicans. They should be afraid. Very afraid.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If you ignore the small fact that in race after race Democrats are WILDLY overperforming in comparison to 2016. There has to come a point where you accept that making excuses for each loss doesn't cut it any more, and the strong likelihood is that November is going to be a large blue wave*.

*Not that I discount the perfectly possible event of the Dems managing to shoot themselves in both feet in some unexpected way between now and then.

They continue to do exactly that every day,
and drive away new voters by their actions.
Democrats are messing this up already.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Trump had little to do with it, I seen his rally speech, it was irrelevant. The Democrats just out worked the opposition. The blue wave that's coming has more to do with balance then it does with actual political agendas.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trump had little to do with it, I seen his rally speech, it was irrelevant. The Democrats just out worked the opposition. The blue wave that's coming has more to do with balance then it does with actual political agendas.

I think you are mostly right. Trump does help that along though....

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Has anything changed since then? Not on the anti-Trump side.

Ummm...apart from a whole host of red state, house and senate seats flipping to blue....with an average swing of about 28%...??

No, not much change....:doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ummm...apart from a whole host of red state, house and senate seats flipping to blue....with an average swing of about 28%...??

No, not much change....:doh:

Now, now -- the past is a safe space; don't ruin it with facts.

Upvote 0