Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like you have confused your faith with other peoples expectations of you.
My daughter has abandoned her faith because she tried very hard to be moral, and it has just not worked out for her.

I find this quite a common growing up experience as people start to identify with who they are and not their obligations they hold from others, ie parents, church friends etc.

Jesus works with those who see Him for who He is. If one is looking for a way of living that fits, Jesus is not the goal, just a compromise and being happy. When you realise all happiness is like blowing in the wind, only in the eternal and the real does value really reside. And the first step is discovering oneself and how you work, not how you would like to appear. These two are very different.

A counsellor friend of mine had a client who literally lived her life by giving what she thought others wanted not what she desired to give them. The real difference is quite profound. The more she ignored herself and was just a mirror, the more lost she became and totally incapable of having proper relationships with anyone, because in truth, she did not even have a relationship with herself.

Some never meet themselves, while others meet themselves and end up bowing before the King of Kings and realising in Him we have our everything.

God bless you
I

I relate so much t this story about the counsellor client

I am such a people pleaser and it's getting more exhausting

I don't know who I am

I hope they can help me today as I go to seek help and check myself in to mental health centre

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

I'm currently abandoning my faith. and honestly, it has felt like a large weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I'm just curious to hear from Christians who have once abandoned their faith in the past. What was your experience like?

Have you ever loved Jesus or felt a longing for him? If you did, what changed that?

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I

I relate so much t this story about the counsellor client

I am such a people pleaser and it's getting more exhausting

I don't know who I am

I hope they can help me today as I go to seek help and check myself in to mental health centre
Making a stand on something you care about is a first step.
For my mother it was being looked down on as a 16 year old leaving education. Discovering your responses and when one is hurt and happy, begins to open the door to ones emotional life.

Counselling can help, if it encourages self value and expression, but without blame. As sinners we are lost and blind, not realising the harm we do to ourselves and others around us.

Switching on the light begins to bring life to everything.

God bless you

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being raised as a Christian can be a difficult thing because it's not something you came to on your own. There came a time in my youth where I felt the need to press restart. You can change your faith to make it yours, rather than that of your parents and family. There's an old saying: "let go and let God".

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I'm currently abandoning my faith. and honestly, it has felt like a large weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I'm just curious to hear from Christians who have once abandoned their faith in the past. What was your experience like?
“Jesus replied, “Every plant not planted by my heavenly Father will be uprooted,” Matthew 15:13 (NLT)

• Agree
Reactions: Jaedan
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
They weren't or they would overcome sin. Why drag the church down with false converts?

Sounds like Calvinism to me! Only the chosen are saved, the rest were created to burn in hell for being born! Is that about right, Dave L?

**Note - This is not at all what I believe.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right on, Aiki! Immaturity in this youngster and allured by the world sounds like a typical attack by Satan on him to divert Him. Placing more importance on studies than God is a VERY poor path. We all know of many good students in school who walk and talk with the Lord Jesus as their best Friend in their life. He MUST be our Savior and Lord of our life while yet here in this world.

I would suggest, Jaedan, you read what God wants to say to you in the Bible ---note John 3:16; John 14; Romans 8; etc. as starters. We cannot know how long we have in this world, and we must not just 'wait and see" ---for that will then be too late. I will pray for you.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,196.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nonetheless, I think following God is unhealthy for me.

That's a shame.
Being loved unconditionally, being forgiven, made clean, given a new start, given peace, assurance and security is unhealthy for you?

Maybe we have different definitions of the word.

Being constantly distracted from my important schoolwork,

Personally I can see how thinking about God's awesome love might distract me from study; so maybe.

wacky, ticky-tack, hogwash anxiety that comes to my mind when I try to "live a godly life that's based on a relationship with Christ."

Being a Christian isn't about being good enough, constantly worrying if you are good enough or wearing yourself out trying to be good enough - you never will be.
Other religions are about what people can do for their god; Christianity is about what God did for us - created us in his image, forgave and cleaned us up when we messed up, and sent his Spirit to live in us - God himself, once walked among us; now can live in us. It is his power that will enable us to live the life that God wants us to live, not our own efforts.

Yeah, no. I do not think it is my "youthful foolishness" speaking.

No, but it might be inexperience or bad teaching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,196.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And it's keeping me away from thinking and worrying about the really important things in my life right now, like school. God doesn't give you good grades.

God can certainly give you peace before, and in, exams and help you to do your best.

Neither does he get you into medical school...

Doesn't he?
If you want to do God's will and you believe, after prayer, that medical school is what he wants you to do; sure he can get you there.

Additionally, it doesn't help when I do have honest questions about God, and then (hypothetically speaking), the only thing I hear from people is to "be quiet," or "repent." I just do not care to question anymore. And I don't think I should be thinking about these questions anymore.

If you have honest questions about God, imo there is no harm is saying "God, I really want to learn more about you and have these questions answered, but right now I'm worried about my studies. Will you help me to do what I need to do, and then I might have time afterwards to find out more about this faith?"

Alternatively, if getting some answers to your honest questions might give you some peace, ask what you want to ask on here, or another section of the forum.

(Moreover, I especially do not need to deal with the painful self-harm and suicidal thoughts that sometimes arise when I'm really frustrated with those thoughts.)

I'm sure you don't; that sounds awful.
What would help you to feel less frustrated, asking the questions and trying to understand, or forgetting about it temporarily while you focus on your studies?

I'm sorry but, I just do not need to be juggling my academics (or anything important in my life for that matter) with trying to maintain what you guys call a "godly" life. I have tried, but living an agnostic life right now seems like the best option

And yet you've chosen to come onto a Christian Forum and post in the "request for Christian advice" to let us know that you want to give up your faith.
I wonder why?

What would happen if you gave up your struggles to live what you think is a godly life and would please other Christians, think about how much God loves you and ask him to help you?
It's possible to go to Med school and be a Christian.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaedan
Upvote 0

ABCthings

Light
Jun 4, 2019
Suleja
✟31,543.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Well I wish you good luck. 'Cause I don't really know what kind of faith you had before now.

I know Jesus helps us with our burden and for me there is nothing more important than God. Without Him I would literally be nonexistent by now.
I have never left my faith and I pray I never will. Even if the devil waits forever.
Finally can see what a life without Christ looks live and its nothing compare to just the peace I have in my heart. Shalom

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

It sounds like you have missed out on what Jesus wants to give you.

Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.
— John 14:27

This peace is beyond the troubles of the world. It's something that gives hope no matter what curve ball the world swings. I would encourage you to stay with Jesus, and get to know him, because when you do even your medical studies will get a bigger purpose.

Christ love!
/Peter

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Besides the deeply personal, intermingled things, I would say everything. The mere thought of God at the moment. And it's keeping me away from thinking and worrying about the really important things in my life right now, like school. God doesn't give you good grades. Neither does he get you into medical school...

Additionally, it doesn't help when I do have honest questions about God, and then (hypothetically speaking), the only thing I hear from people is to "be quiet," or "repent." I just do not care to question anymore. And I don't think I should be thinking about these questions anymore.

(Moreover, I especially do not need to deal with the painful self-harm and suicidal thoughts that sometimes arise when I'm really frustrated with those thoughts.)

I'm sorry but, I just do not need to be juggling my academics (or anything important in my life for that matter) with trying to maintain what you guys call a "godly" life. I have tried, but living an agnostic life right now seems like the best option
Sounds like you need to abandon your religion and discover what faith actually is.

Pity you don't seem to be in the kind of environment that knows the difference.

You'll find most of your thinking is the brainwashing you got from religious leaders who themselves probably struggle.

Many people on this forum, including me, have abandoned the sort of theology you're describing and found it liberating. But Jesus isn't a theology.

Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Number 2 also resonates

I don't think any to be a Satan worshipper the occult and Satanism didn't interest me much but I get so frustrated I find myself saying "hail satan!"

I hate myself for it

But I just feel so frustrated

I feel like thoughts are being inserted into !y mind telling me to praise Satan. Like an unwanted compulsion I try resist

I was doing well as a Christian in terms of wanting to stay saved and love Jesus but no Then am told am not doing enough and I feel I can never be good enough

Often the voices tell me that am not saved because I haven't kept the commandments of God like the sabbath.etc

Other times other people tell me

Or I just read bible and realise am not as good a Christian as I thought

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrFGO0rDfr2N-E7Dtfrftlw

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says

You have to give all your money to the poor. all. I don't have the faith yet but I have prayed for him to give it me

You have to submit all your needs desires wants to God and do what he says. I try. But sometimes I still like to do bad things such as read a novel or paint a picture on the Sabbath

Or keep back some of my money instead of giving my whole welfare cheque away to the poor

No, you don't have to give away all your money to the poor. Where in Scripture do you read that?

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I was raised Catholic, honestly didn't know if the things they taught me were true, and left the church in my late teens. But as I went through early adulthood I sensed something was missing-and wrong- with the world and its values and disregard for truth, and I was often "poor in spirit" because of it. I looked here and there, often quite seriously, for truth, a higher truth that would make a difference. To my own surprise in my mid-twenties I began to hear an authoritative but gentle voice in the bible, speaking of things that humans needed to know. And I wore out three of those books, pretty much leaving behind eastern religions and various philosophies, etc, which often admittedly contain some very good insights and truths. Just not enough, or deep enough, or full enough-and sometimes containing errors as I saw it.

Christianity answers the most basic questions: where do we come from, what are we here for, and where are we going? We can pretend otherwise but we're literally lost without those answers. And the answers are good. We come from a good God, an ineffably good God such that the very foundation of our universe is based on goodness and order and truth and love in spite of our world of humans that so often seems chaotic and evil and false and unloving. We're here to come to know and to finally love Him-because He's that good-and our own purpose and perfection are attained the nearer we draw to Him, and the more fully we come to love as He does and do His will as a result of that very nearness. And then we're meant to go back to Him where total satisfaction and happiness will be unbounded.

But does any of that, in itself, make Christianity true? Not at all. But there happens to be a real sense of reason and truth beneath it all, even as we're dealing with supernatural truths. And in my experience, to the extent that we really want to know, that we truly hunger and thirst and seek for knowledge and for truth and righteousness and justice, then God will give us the grace to believe His message, His revelation to this world. Be careful though, pride is the main obstacle to faith in God. We generally love praise of man over praise of God- to begin with at least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi,

Well how does terrifying sound as it allowed me to be entered by a demon and I screamed for Jesus as it entered through the top of my head and chased me downwards inside my body. It screamed at me in a foreign language in the most vile disgusting putrid synthesized sounding voice and once I called for Jesus it was forced out of me the same way it entered. I lay contorted on my bed, freaking out. I tried to pray and I felt abandoned. Sleep paralysis seized me afterwards, I lay unable to move while I heard it laughing at me. I was horrified. It continuer off and on for 3 years until I finally strengthened my faith enough for it to stop altogether. That was over 25 years ago and those 6 seconds were the most terrifying minutes of my life and changed me forever.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Hi,

I had an experience of leaving Christianity and studying Islam. I felt like a runaway child but I felt like I ran to something that made more sense to me. So in that way I felt relief that I had the answers I lacked in my faith.

So I guess to bottom-line it, it was like a sense of finding freedom but it felt like I lost something as well. It can hurt friendships and relationships but we all can only but follow our conscience so there is hope in that as well.

Upvote 0