Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Concerning your education, of course. This is what you've been writing in your posts. Your education is more important to you than your Creator. And so, you intend to ditch God and serve yourself through the means of your education. Have I got this wrong?

Well, from my current perspective, education does look more important than God.

What do you mean by "serve yourself?"

Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a strong inseparable feeling. I just cannot abandon my faith in Jesus Christ (except in the past once when I had very little knowledge about God and was a new Christian) I would feel anxious and alienated like I'm stuck like glue and cannot fall away. Don't forget B.C. and A.C. (which I think stands for 'before Christ' and 'apres dieu' "after God" Christ, that's what I believe it represents and the U.S. dollar bill that has its roots in God which I believe is mainly Christianity that says 'God With Us' and the altars that were built by the chosen men of God that are still here today. I do have some trouble with the Bible but Jesus Christ I feel is real, He has to be and I feel that I feel Him and His providence but not in everything but that's probably, it has to be for a reason :( I would recommend that you pray about this for your salvation of eternity in heaven where there's only joy and no more pain and suffering, you get to be either great in the kingdom of heaven or least in the kingdom of heaven and no eye has seen nor ear has heard what the Lord has in store for us in heaven but the Lord Jesus did tell us that there are many rooms or mansions for us in heaven and do not focus on this temporary world on earth. Of course enjoy it as much as you can but always pray if you're struggling and for God to give you the desires of you heart and God will take you to the right place. God bless you!

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Besides the deeply personal, intermingled things, I would say everything. The mere thought of God at the moment. And it's keeping me away from thinking and worrying about the really important things in my life right now, like school. God doesn't give you good grades. Neither does he get you into medical school...

Additionally, it doesn't help when I do have honest questions about God, and then (hypothetically speaking), the only thing I hear from people is to "be quiet," or "repent." I just do not care to question anymore. And I don't think I should be thinking about these questions anymore.

(Moreover, I especially do not need to deal with the painful self-harm and suicidal thoughts that sometimes arise when I'm really frustrated with those thoughts.)

I'm sorry but, I just do not need to be juggling my academics (or anything important in my life for that matter) with trying to maintain what you guys call a "godly" life. I have tried, but living an agnostic life right now seems like the best option
I

This is how I feel

Suicidal self harming obsessive worry

Except can't bring myself.to go agnostic

so am doing a kind of "Christianity lite" as it were. Just Jesus but no religious observances

I have been feeling this for years but something happens today which made me realise I can't go on as a traditional Christian

So am going for a kind of liberal Christianity where I just trust inn the finished work of Christ but do very little else

And just focus on the love of Jesus and block out the rest

Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I promised God that if he just let me have a few months or maybe a year of rest and just focus on getting well then I will come back to him and serve him wholeheartedly

Am gonna give myself until April 2022 then review the situation.
Aw, ok, God bless you! Also check if there's anything else you may be doing wrong, be careful in your decision to leave God

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Aw, ok, God bless you! Also check if there's anything else you may be doing wrong, be careful in your decision to leave God

But if being with God is causing me to want to take my life....I feel I don't have a choice

am gonna check myself into some mental health treatment for a few months. Have an appointment tomorrow so going then...

Maybe after I had a rest in the facility.I will feel clearer.and better able to make a decision

• Friendly
Reactions: Jaedan
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh sorry, I wrote that post prior to you writing other posts :( (hugs)

((hugs)) ❤

Thanks. Yeah I feel in my heart am doing the right decision

Am gonna treat this like a health crisis as opposed to rebellion or sin. I think that's the way forward

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I'm currently abandoning my faith. and honestly, it has felt like a large weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I'm just curious to hear from Christians who have once abandoned their faith in the past. What was your experience like?

I would love to know the reason for your leaving.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well, from my current perspective, education does look more important than God.

What do you mean by "serve yourself?"

Then, I would suggest to you that you don't really understand who you're talking about when you speak of God. The phrase "more important than God" is like the phrase "more wet than water." What can be more wet than water? And what can be more important than God? The answer to both is "Nothing." That you appear not to understand this indicates you don't understand the Christian conception of God.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReuleauxMan

Logos Nerd
Jan 9, 2021
Central South
✟20,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just want to add some input to the general discussion.

What is it about God that can lead people away from Him? For me at least I've fallen away from faith before (and come back and am with God now) over scientific grounds like creationism vs evolution, whether the entire bible can be read literally, etc I've answered these questions for myself and feel secure with the bible and christianity (especially with evidence for Jesus Christ really being a historical person).

But also I've fallen out of faith before while believing in the christian God but being mad at Him on philosophical grounds like why is there suffering and why had I suffered so much. I've since wrestled with these issues and never again will forsake Him over the pains of my life, and it's a fallen world so of course there is a lot of evil and injustice in this world but I can still believe in God, answering these questions for my walk of faith.

But I don't understand not being able to keep the faith because it's too demanding, God requires nothing from us but having faith and acting in faith, and faith itself requires no extra mental or time resources because we are always doing something in some kind of faith anyways. We are born with it we just aren't born with faith in God. Sure there are duties sometimes like going to church or fellowshipping and perhaps even some evangelism, but if I understand correctly the don't think anybody is obligated or burdened or called by scriptures in the bible to do anything more than they would already be doing to walk with God. Yes there are prescriptions for godly behavior, but we are saved by faith through grace, not works, and it is a work in progress for each of us to be molded into the image of Christ. I can definitely understand that it can feel restrictive on our freedom if there are certain things in a 2000 year old book that we are not supposed to do, especially if there are philosophical or theological doubts. But the scriptures speak that there is freedom in Christ, freedom from the bondage of sin, and sin and sin nature will weigh one down more than faith. It may not be immediately manifest, but sinning against the scriptures in the moment has repercussions that stack and add up over time in one's life and it can eventually snowball and be very burdensome.

Hope this helps. Not saying anyone here is having faith issues because they want to really sin, there is plenty in the scriptures that is subject to interpretation on which things exactly are sin and this doubt/anxiety too can present burdens until more clarity is gained on the scriptures.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I'm currently abandoning my faith. and honestly, it has felt like a large weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I'm just curious to hear from Christians who have once abandoned their faith in the past. What was your experience like?
Welcome! I suspect the weight that has been lifted has more to do with falsehoods. I experienced this twice. Once as a Catholic and the other as a Pentecostal. However, neither of these associations were able to block me from loving my Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth. If you still love Him then you will come back in truth. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,663.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Sometimes faith can feel like a burden. What we all need is fall in love with Jesus. Is it a burden to be in love with your wife?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It depends on what you consider "sound guidance." Hypothetically speaking, if half the world is telling me that I should keep my faith, and the other half is saying that I should abandon my faith, which side is giving the true "sound guidance?"

Nonetheless, I think following God is unhealthy for me. Being constantly distracted from my important schoolwork, along with being constantly kept up at night because of unbearable worry or some overwhelmingly wacky, ticky-tack, hogwash anxiety that comes to my mind when I try to "live a godly life that's based on a relationship with Christ." Yeah, no. I do not think it is my "youthful foolishness" speaking.

You speak as though your relationship with God was a chore. That tells me you were never saved. Hope you find the truth.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Welcome! I suspect the weight that has been lifted has more to do with falsehoods. I experienced this twice. Once as a Catholic and the other as a Pentecostal. However, neither of these associations were able to block me from loving my Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth. If you still love Him then you will come back in truth. Be blessed.
I

Thanks. I receive this also

I know was for Jaeden but am in exact same boat now pretty much and I find this comforting

I will give myself a time off and then come back to
God and start actually serving Him and obeying Him

Giving myself until April 2022

• Friendly
Reactions: Jaedan
Upvote 0