What was the last Christian movie you watched? (Your official Christian film discussion thread).

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are speaking in pure ignorance.

Answer the question: Does the movie rebuke sin and or to forsake sin, and not to swear?

If the film promotes bad language and then it does not rebuke of using such language, then it is promoting sin. It does not matter if they talk about God and or salvation. It would be a different gospel if they did that. God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (See: Titus 2:10-11).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever watched a movie that they told you not to watch?

I have accidentally seen a movie I thought would be Christian, and it was not, and then later I checked Dove and they were correct.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Answer the question: Does the movie rebuke sin and or to forsake sin, and not to swear?

I don't recall any course language at all in the film. It certainly rebukes sin by showing its destructive nature. It "shows" more than "tells". Les Miserables: Movieguide Review agrees that it rebukes sin. But since that source (which you provided) does not support your assumptions, you regard it as deceptive.

If the film promotes bad language and then it does not rebuke of using such language, then it is promoting sin. It does not matter if they talk about God and or salvation. It would be a different gospel if they did that. God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (See: Titus 2:10-11).

Don't you have some Bible highlighting to do, Jason?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't recall any course language at all in the film. It certainly rebukes sin by showing its destructive nature. It "shows" more than "tells". Les Miserables: Movieguide Review agrees that it rebukes sin. But since that source (which you provided) does not support your assumptions, you regard it as deceptive.

So those in the film had lost their voices by their swearing?
I highly doubt it. So it appears that I am correct. The film does not clearly rebuke using bad language.
No rebuke... means it is a promotion of that sin.

You said:
Don't you have some Bible highlighting to do, Jason?

I alread just did so. Did you not understand what Titus 2:11-12 said?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did you repent?

It was not the kind of sins that influenced me to sin... so no.
The film promoted the false biblical idea of ghosts and it tried to portray them as trying to cause fear in the viewer or audience. I was not aware that this element was in the film initially.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So those in the film had lost their voices by their swearing?
I highly doubt it. So it appears that I am correct. The film does not clearly rebuke using bad language.
No rebuke... means it is a promotion of that sin.

Again, I don't recall any bad language in the film.

I alread just did so. Did you not understand what Titus 2:11-12 said?

What a good boy you are, Jason.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It was not the kind of sins that influenced me to sin... so no.
The film promoted the false biblical idea of ghosts and tried to portray them as trying to cause fear in the viewer or audience.

So we may view sins so long as they aren't the kind of sins that influence us?

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please Read This Before Posting:

Please do not mention movies such as Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings (that promote the sin of witchcraft). Also, please do not mention movies that do not specifically mention Christ, God, the Bible, or Christ's teachings. I am looking for clearly Christian movies only that leads people to want to follow Jesus, God, and His Word. Thank you for understanding; And may God bless you.
There are the modern day stories, one of which might have been the most recent movie, but I've not seen many of the modern-day-set movies (and haven't gotten lucky to see a really great one, though some may be that good), and then there are the ones set back in time, where I've seen pretty good ones, so they are the ones that stick in mind, and come to mind for me: Polycarp and The Centurion are the most recent, and I'm not quite sure which was more recent, as I rewatched Polycarp, but Polycarp is good in a deep way even if being less produced, less showy, less dramatic. Polycarp is real to the heart or life in a way that stands out.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what the last Christian movie I watched was. I like The Bible Story series I thought it was well done but at times a tad bit inaccurate and made a couple of assumptions in the story. The same with the Bible Story AD. I also like the God’s not Dead movies. All of them are pretty good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So we may view sins so long as they aren't the kind of sins that influence us?

Like I said, I was not aware of ghosts in the film until I seen it. Such a thing was not revealed in the film until the end, as well. It was exceptionally deceptive. It was labeled as Christian, too. What a joke. It wasn't Christian.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what the last Christian movie I watched was. I like The Bible Story series I thought it was well done but at times a tad bit inaccurate and made a couple of assumptions in the story. The same with the Bible Story AD. I also like the God’s not Dead movies. All of them are pretty good.

Thank you for contributing to the thread, brother.

Note: When you say Bible Story series, are you referring to the Bible mini series that came out in 2013?

The Bible (TV Mini-Series 2013) - IMDb

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please see post #1. Lord of the Rings and Narnia are not considered true Christian films because they push the sins of witchcraft within them (without any kind of rebuke of these kinds of sins).
Maybe someone explained, but when the deeply devout Tolkien wrote this fantasy, the events and setting and rules of that world are metaphorical for ours. And...for that matter, there are no witches I can think of, except the one reference to the "Witch-king of Angmar" who is a leading deeply evil character, like a demon, that the forces of Good must defeat (and with the help of God, though it's subtle how that happens).

Because Good does and will certainly triumph over evil, and will do so only through the means that God has created.

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for contributing to the thread, brother.

Note: When you say Bible Story series, are you referring to the Bible mini series that came out in 2013?

The Bible (TV Mini-Series 2013) - IMDb

Yes they also have the sequel series called The Bible AD which shows events after Christ’s resurrection including Paul’s conversion and his ministry.

Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟116,013.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you see Nun's in the Bible? I am looking to discuss biblical Christian films here that promote Jesus Christ, and the Holy Bible, and not films that seem kind of Christian but it does not really reflect what we see in the Bible in being followers of Christ. For me: A Christian is a Christ follower. We follow Jesus according to the Bible and not in what other people say.
The Nun's Story "specifically mentions Christ, God, the Bible, and Christ's teachings" - your criteria
Why no response to my first question?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Nun's Story "specifically mentions Christ, God, the Bible, and Christ's teachings" - your criteria
Why no response to my first question?

My question answers your question.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes they also have the sequel series called The Bible AD which shows events after Christ’s resurrection including Paul’s conversion and his ministry.

I will have to check it out.

Thank you.

Blessings be unto you in the Lord.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe someone explained, but when the deeply devout Tolkien wrote this fantasy, the events and setting and rules of that world are metaphorical for ours. And...for that matter, there are no witches I can think of, except the one reference to the "Witch-king of Angmar" who is a leading deeply evil character, like a demon, that the forces of Good must defeat (and with the help of God, though it's subtle how that happens).

Because Good does and will certainly triumph over evil, and will do so only through the means that God has created.

My statement stands. For me, witchcraft being pushed in a film with no rebuke of such a sin would be like pushing inappropriate contentography and saying it is okay because it is in a fantasy setting. But we can agree to disagree. But my thread rule stands for the criteria of I consider a truly Christian film.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the last Christian movie I saw was The Cross and the Switchblade. I think I was eight. It was a pretty wild movie for me at that age. And, my basic take away was Nicky Cruz was cool. So...

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are the modern day stories, one of which might have been the most recent movie, but I've not seen many of the modern-day-set movies (and haven't gotten lucky to see a really great one, though some may be that good), and then there are the ones set back in time, where I've seen pretty good ones, so they are the ones that stick in mind, and come to mind for me: Polycarp and The Centurion are the most recent, and I'm not quite sure which was more recent, as I rewatched Polycarp, but Polycarp is good in a deep way even if being less produced, less showy, less dramatic. Polycarp is real to the heart or life in a way that stands out.

THE CENTURION | Movieguide | Movie Reviews for Christians

If this is the same Centurion movie, it doesn’t appear to be a Christian film. Excessive profanity, drunkenness, etc.; God is mentioned once but that does not make it a Christian movie.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Polycarp might be an interesting Christian film to check out. I appreciate you mentioning it.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0