What was the experience that made you feel God was real?

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you tell us more about what happened?

I slipped underwater when I was about four, after having ended up in the deep end on my floaty. I did not know how to swim. I ended up sinking, and even to this day recall looking around and see the legs of people. I started to move forward, and heard a voice in my heart say, "It is okay, you can walk". And that is what I did, I walked across the pool to the shallow end.

I do not remember coming out, but my mom was there with the camp counselor. Apparently, they were both in a panic. She had just come to pick me up. I came up to them and said, "Here I am".

There has been a great deal since then, but that remains the founding miracle in my life.

Been metaphorically underwater in many situations over the years.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You must be around 100 years old for all that to have happened in your life so far. What a testimony! I've never been to prison or even arrested. Have had a few scary times. A lady with a gun was close to me once -in a store -another time I thought a man was, so I put my hands up in the air -talked softly and kept walking backwards to my car-had a bat at my head once, which the police took away, another time an armed robber was leaving Walgreen's as I went in. They wanted me to say which way he went and such, but I could not tell them. Actually, they were going as to, how could you not know! The lady at the register was very upset as she had just had a gun held on her.

Why thanks... ;) hundred years old. Well, Im almost halfway there. 42.

I lived a Norman Rockwell childhood out in a little town in the country. I have no idea what I was thinking... wasn't raised that way. I just went stupid I Geuss. Ever since getting in trouble with the law, I have had a lot of hardships tho. But I try to be thankful for every one of them.

To be honest a lot of times I feel like Forrest Gump. Not always the smartest in the room, have been through many impossibly far-fetched situations, but I always manage to survive. I just live one of those lives. For whatever reason God has given me a lot of life experiences. I 've been through a lot. More than my share. I have been in many situations most will not experience outside of a movie theater. And I carry the scars.

But the biggest thing for me when it comes to the OP, I have witnessed the power of my God. Jesus the Christ is the one and only true God. And to me, that fact is far beyond mere belief. I even have a hard time saying to myself that I even have faith in God. God is such a part of my life He is almost taken granted of like electricity in my home. When I come home and flip the switch to my lights, I don't have faith they will come on. I don't hope they will work. It's expected that when I flip the switch the lights come on. You just don't think about it until the light bulb doesn't come on one day. Now all of a sudden it is an issue because what you are accustomed to didn't happen.

Quite literally some days I am like: "Ok God... what did I do wrong? you're not here." I can't conceive the notion that God isn't real. It's like the dog at my feet, the oxygen I breathe, the food I eat. 'What do you mean they're not real? Look, they're right there, silly.'

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have never heard of anything like this before. Some pools have such slippery bottoms, making it not easy to stand up even in the shallow part. How were you? Had you swallowed a bunch of water in your lungs or were you taken by rescue? Your story is remarkable!

It really was. I have had many more witnesses since that time, especially in this past seven years, but that was the foundation of it all. [Though a lot of that revelation was showing me the miracles that I was blind to all the years before.]

This bound me to the Holy Spirit, and it was my water baptism. I felt that my life was theirs and acted and spoke in such a way even since an early age -- though I did not have many details for a long time about who they were.

I did not have to breathe. The urge did not come up.

The presence of peace was around me, so I did not panic or disbelieve.

I water walked for most of the way, swimming underwater upright by using walking motion, without touching the bottom. At some point, my toes could touch, then my feet, then I was able to get out.

So, it was like flying in slow motion, and finally landing. And it was like coming through the womb. It was like death and resurrection.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

ShadowInTheLight

Aug 2, 2016
United States
Visit site
✟16,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
For me, there was a long process of going from doubt to belief, but the first moment that I can say I "saw" God was on a snowy day. I was lost in personal and spiritual darkness, and I can remember walking outside, looking around, and thinking, What am I missing [by not living for God*]?

I still have this experience from time to time. I'll be out in nature, and I'll have what almost seems like a glimpse into the reality that is creation. I never truly appreciated the outdoors, nor did I find any purpose in it, until I saw it was God's artistry. I can hardly describe the feeling; I just. . .knew in that first moment it had to have all come from Him. And it was better and more beautiful than anything I could ever create in my own life.:grinning:

*the additional wording is just for context

• Winner
Upvote 0

quartzy

Jul 21, 2010
London, UK
✟19,828.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There was one time when I was depressed and I had no feelings. My brother was trying to get me to worship Christ and i had various thoughts. But one night, as I went off to sleep, I thought of Christ and called him, I said that if he is there to come to me, what I experienced next was a rebirth of water rushing through my whole body. It was a unique experience that I have not experienced since. I believe that christ came to me and made me born again in that moment.

Upvote 0

NurseAbigail

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2017
NC
✟48,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I grew up in a Christian household, both my parents were missionaries, I've always prayed to God, but probably due to my upbringing it came naturally. Oddly, I always had a burning desire to please Him. I remembered praying the sinner's prayer multiple times, and praying for God to use me. But there was a long time in my life where I was so depressed, had low self esteem and suicidal because of difficult circumstances in my family, I experienced verbal abuse at home and bullying at school, every time I attempted to end my life, I felt God telling me He loves me and to trust Him. I've always struggled with God, always asking Him questions, sharing to Him my doubts, my fears, things I don't quite grasp. I kept talking to Him, reading the Word, listening to promptings, giving up old habits...there are still days I feel like I wonder if He exists, honestly speaking, but deep in my heart, there's that ever yearning for Him and love that surpasses understanding. And I could not dismiss many miracles I've witnessed occur through prayer, faith, and the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
The overwhelming call ,when I was a boy gave me instant belief in Him.
I repented ,and beyond a shadow of doubt knew I was given the greatest gift ,his everlasting life.
For all these years that have passed, I failed him at times but his love never failed me.
As I matured God has given me more knowledge, and revealed himself to me many times.
For 50 years now I have never doubted if there was a God, my only doubt was in my ability to to thank him for loving me enough to die for me.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I went out into the middle of a golf course in the middle of the night and introduced myself to Him. He started speaking to me and then I knew that He was real and that He knew me and wanted me to know Him. That was in 1969 when I was 20 years of age. That closeness with God and hearing His voice in my heart and mind has never left me.

God Bless You ,Your testimony has uplifted me at a time that I needed it.

Upvote 0