What was the devil doing in Eden in the first place?

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't the devil, it was the serpent who had been made by God as a possible helpmate for Adam. Perhaps the serpent was angry that Adam choose Eve over him. Jealousy can lead to all sorts of bad things.

Anything is possible in a fable. The real problem enters in when the fable is taken as literal truth. It took over a thousand years before the serpent was identified as the devil by St. Justin of Samaria in the second century AD.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The serpent represents evil.
1. We don't know why God created a world where evil occurs.
2. We don't know why the serpent was in the garden.

Those two statements say the same thing.

• Friendly
Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't the devil, it was the serpent who had been made by God as a possible helpmate for Adam. Perhaps the serpent was angry that Adam choose Eve over him. Jealousy can lead to all sorts of bad things.

Anything is possible in a fable. The real problem enters in when the fable is taken as literal truth. It took over a thousand years before the serpent was identified as the devil by St. Justin of Samaria in the second century AD.

That is ridiculous on a number of levels. God did not think maybe the serpent would be a possible helpmate for Adam. And don't cite Gen 2:19f in defense because that isn't what that's saying.

And the serpent was identified as the devil in Revelation 12:9.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Seeing God already knows what is going to happen before it does. I'd say the serpent was there to tempt eve and was allowed in for that reason.

But since God already knew that Eve would fail the test, creating the serpent in the first place was quite unnecessary.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Open question. Why was he allowed there in the first place?
From my understanding he was supposed to guard it. He was a protector in the Garden of Eden but he became full of pride and wanted to be like God.

References:

For you have said in your heart: ‘I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.’
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭14:13-14‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“Son of man, take up a lamentation for the king of Tyre, and say to him, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “You were the seal of perfection, Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. You were in Eden, the garden of God; Every precious stone was your covering: The sardius, topaz, and diamond, Beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold. The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes Was prepared for you on the day you were created. “You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; You were on the holy mountain of God; You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones. You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, Till iniquity was found in you. “By the abundance of your trading You became filled with violence within, And you sinned; Therefore I cast you as a profane thing Out of the mountain of God; And I destroyed you, O covering cherub, From the midst of the fiery stones. “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty; You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor; I cast you to the ground, I laid you before kings, That they might gaze at you. “You defiled your sanctuaries By the multitude of your iniquities, By the iniquity of your trading; Therefore I brought fire from your midst; It devoured you, And I turned you to ashes upon the earth In the sight of all who saw you. All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you; You have become a horror, And shall be no more forever.” Ezekiel‬ ‭28:12-19‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Ezekiel 28:14
Ezekiel 28:14 You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for I had ordained you. You were on the holy mountain of God; you walked among the fiery stones.
You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for so I ordained you...
I ordained and anointed you as the mighty angelic guardian...
Thou a cherub stretched out, and protecting, and I set thee in the holy mountain of God...

In a spanish version it says "protector".

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seeing God already knows what is going to happen before it does. I'd say the serpent was there to tempt eve and was allowed in for that reason.

This would also indicate that God already knew that the serpent would succeed in accomplishing this. Which then makes one wonder, based on God already knowing what's going to happen before it even happens, why the following, then?

Genesis 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Wouldn't this mean, that since He knows everything in advance, that if He were to go through with His plan to create man in the beginning, He already knows in advance He is going to regret creating man after He has created man?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
From my understanding he was supposed to guard it. He was a protector in the Garden of Eden but he became full of pride and wanted to be like God.

References:

For you have said in your heart: ‘I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.’
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭14:13-14‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“Son of man, take up a lamentation for the king of Tyre, and say to him, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “You were the seal of perfection, Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. You were in Eden, the garden of God; Every precious stone was your covering: The sardius, topaz, and diamond, Beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold. The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes Was prepared for you on the day you were created. “You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; You were on the holy mountain of God; You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones. You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, Till iniquity was found in you. “By the abundance of your trading You became filled with violence within, And you sinned; Therefore I cast you as a profane thing Out of the mountain of God; And I destroyed you, O covering cherub, From the midst of the fiery stones. “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty; You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor; I cast you to the ground, I laid you before kings, That they might gaze at you. “You defiled your sanctuaries By the multitude of your iniquities, By the iniquity of your trading; Therefore I brought fire from your midst; It devoured you, And I turned you to ashes upon the earth In the sight of all who saw you. All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you; You have become a horror, And shall be no more forever.” Ezekiel‬ ‭28:12-19‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Ezekiel 28:14
Ezekiel 28:14 You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for I had ordained you. You were on the holy mountain of God; you walked among the fiery stones.
You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for so I ordained you...
I ordained and anointed you as the mighty angelic guardian...
Thou a cherub stretched out, and protecting, and I set thee in the holy mountain of God...

In a spanish version it says "protector".

I hope this helps.

Actually none of all that refers to the serpent. For example your Isaiah quote is a very clear reference to an egotistic Babylonian king when it is read in its context.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

shilohsfoal

Jacks or better to open
Jan 3, 2011
✟73,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
But since God already knew that Eve would fail the test, creating the serpent in the first place was quite unnecessary.
Eve didn't fail the test.
The serpent did exactly what God knew it would do.
And Eve did exactly what God knew it would do.

If God didn't want them to eat from the tree, it would never have been there.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Eve didn't fail the test.
The serpent did exactly what God knew it would do.
And Eve did exactly what God knew it would do.

If God didn't want them to eat from the tree, it would never have been there.

So this whole story is just a play?

"Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

~~~ Shakespeare

• Friendly
Upvote 0

shilohsfoal

Jacks or better to open
Jan 3, 2011
✟73,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This would also indicate that God already knew that the serpent would succeed in accomplishing this. Which then makes one wonder, based on God already knowing what's going to happen before it even happens, why the following, then?

Genesis 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Wouldn't this mean, that since He knows everything in advance, that if He were to go through with His plan to create man in the beginning, He already knows in advance He is going to regret creating man after He has created man?

I'm sure he already knew how he would remedy the situation. Some people read the creation account and believe it was an account of the past. I read it and see it as an account of the future.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

James A

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2020
frisco
✟88,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The snake was Satan himself - Revelation 12:9,20:2.

It is true that many ancient Religions have something in the line of man-woman-cheating-lose grace story and Lord probably used something simillar to educate the people who lived 3000 years ago.

I would read it side-by-side with Temptation of Christ, the Second Adam, to understand what exactly happened to First Adam at the garden

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Renata8

God is good always
Jun 14, 2020
Florida
✟13,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
God gave Adam, which means mankind, the gift of free will to choose and make informed choices. He never meant for us to be his puppets, he wants us to be, analytical, logical and make clean clear decisions. After Adam was created by God, the devil wasn't concerned with him because he was not a threat, he was alone. You see there's something called, power in numbers. The devil didn't pay Adam any mind until Eve was created from Adam. "Together" Adam & Eve were a threat to the devil, because all life, all lessons, everything begins at home. God said we were made in his image and that we are a masterpiece. A strong couple results in a strong marriage, resulting in strong children. God never said we wouldn't have trials and tribulations, he did say that if we trust in him we will get through it. This is in the bible. This was 'the' life lesson for us to see and learn that our choices carry consequences, and every action has a reaction. That we must trust in our heavenly father always because, all we can do is what we can, and he will do what we cant. When your house is in order everything follows suit.

Upvote 0

James A

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2020
frisco
✟88,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
God gave Adam, which means mankind, the gift of free will to choose and make informed choices. He never meant for us to be his puppets, he wants us to be, analytical, logical and make clean clear decisions. After Adam was created by God, the devil wasn't concerned with him because he was not a threat, he was alone. You see there's something called, power in numbers. .

Why would two humans, Adam and Eve, be perceived more dangerous than the legions of Angels?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Renata8

God is good always
Jun 14, 2020
Florida
✟13,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi James A, it's because we are very valuable to God, not dangerous but valued and important. Welcome to the great mystery that is Jesus Christ.
James if I died for you, wouldn't you think yourself to be very revered and valuable?
John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Open question. Why was he allowed there in the first place?

In a way, the serpent represents the necessity of freedom. -- There has to be real choice. Real freedom to choose...

The chance for the individual soul to choose it's god, so to speak.

Freedom is necessary to being, and to love. To love, we have to be able.

And freedom means we can choose whether to trust in ourselves above God, or to trust in God instead.

Upvote 0