Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, no, we do.

There are only three options:

1. God is outside time, and He created time itself.

2. God is within time, and Himself had a beginning (this is heresy).

3. God is within time, and waited an infinite amount of time before creating the universe (this is logically impossible).

I think William Lane Craig takes a position that God is timeless without creation, but became temporal when he created.

God, Time and Eternity | Reasonable Faith

...not sure what I make of it, but that's a #4 possibility.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is from the study of the Hebrew language and the meaning of the Hebrew letters. There is quite a bit of teaching on YouTube.

I suppose the first question would be why think there are secret/hidden messages in the modern Hebrew alphabet.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A lot of people have that interpratation. The problem is though that if you go by "wisdom" described in proverbs as a "created" entity; the only conclusion one could come to is that it's Jesus Christ; because He is the only person of the God Head that has a created dimension to His being.

I would agree with @David Cabrera on this one. Wisdom is Jesus.

I'm somewhat confused by the idea that wisdom is a created [some]thing. This would seem to imply that there was some moment or point when God didn't have wisdom and/or that he created everything without wisdom.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What a fascinating, fascinating question!

My first thought is that God intended for His Son to receive glory.

On the other hand, if you go back further than the first thought: you might have seen God sleeping.

(So the answer to the question is somewhere between waking up and dreaming of His Son - with work with the Son to follow)

...are you saying you believe that before creation God was asleep and dreaming of Jesus?

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All this makes me think of the climax scene of the movie Interstellar (SPOILER ALERT if you haven't seen the movie!)

It looks almost like Matthew Mcconaughey's character becomes binitary on entering the black hole. One person of Cooper is outside/beyond time communicating with another person of Cooper inside time.

I'm not making anything of this - it just makes me remember a good movie.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
All this makes me think of the climax scene of the movie Interstellar (SPOILER ALERT if you haven't seen the movie!)

It looks almost like Matthew Mcconaughey's character becomes binitary on entering the black hole. One person of Cooper is outside/beyond time communicating with another person of Cooper inside time.

I have the movie, watch it a lot, great movie...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Great movie, but falls prey to the bootstrap paradox.

Reactions: Yekcidmij
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I'm somewhat confused by the idea that wisdom is a created [some]thing. This would seem to imply that there was some moment or point when God didn't have wisdom and/or that he created everything without wisdom.

Valid point!

Go back and look at post 84 on this thread. I'd come to a different conclusion than originally stated. (What you've quoted.) My different conclusion is basically because "wisdom" is in the feminine.

I think the conclusion that a lot of posters may have come to is that the conclusion of the OP is vast, varied and has a lot of nuances to it.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Temporality is a quality of the material universe.

God is atemporal, and therefore not subject to temporality.

There is no firsts or lasts, no before or after with God. God is (not was, not will be, but is) before all things and after all things: He is the First and the Last, the Alpha and Omega.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose the first question would be why think there are secret/hidden messages in the modern Hebrew alphabet.
The message is not hidden so much as people are required to have a whole new level of understanding. As Paul says: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." There are people today that have a PhD in Physics. When they were little this knowledge was not hidden from them so much as they were not ready and mature enough to understand. Children learn the Bible on a different level then adults. That is why they go to sunday school and the Adults are taught by the pastor on an adult level.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think William Lane Craig takes a position that God is timeless without creation, but became temporal when he created.
The long standing belief is that eternity became temporal at the big bang when a part of what is eternal was crunched so much that it either exploded or became corrupted to the degree that death began. Not from the expansion but from the crunch or contraction that took place before our universes began to expand.

Upvote 0