Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally would recommend the ESV, I like the NKJV too. Some people would tell you that KJV is the perfect translation but in all truth the best translation of the Bible is the one we live out by Faith, because they are not just words but living words.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I personally use the NASB simply because I was gifted an Allan edition some years ago. I have no issues with the ESV and in some areas I think it is more true to the underlying text than the NASB. The NKJV is decent too. It retains a lot of the sentence structure and readings from the KJV. The KJV is a good translation but many find the Jacobean English hard to deal with. If I were to recommend one translation I would say the ESV.

• Informative
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But if you can spring for one, I can't recommend enough that you get a good Study Bible. I have the ESV study Bible and I love it. There are notes on many, many verses, notes on every book, and copious volumes of just general information for any Christian. A really good investment.

I agree with this - love my ESV Study bible. Even if you do not get a study bible, the ESV is a worthy option because of accuracy and fluidity with modern day understanding and language.

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree with this - love my ESV Study bible. Even if you do not get a study bible, the ESV is a worthy option because of accuracy and fluidity with modern day understanding and language.

I could not agree more with this post. In my opinion, the ESV Study Bible is probably the best study bible around. The notes are not an exhaustive commentary are more than enough to understand the text.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Kristen Davis

Dec 9, 2017
Alpharetta
✟11,497.00
Country
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been debating in my head whether or not to use a specific bible to read. I like the word for word bibles more than the thought for thought ones. Mostly because I think having a English bible that's close to the original manuscripts is good. I'm stuck between wanting to make ESV my main or NKJV my main. Both are good but ESV uses modern manuscripts from the Dead Sea scrolls and uses more modern English.

NKJV is basically just an updated version of the same book that came out years ago. Since then we've found more manuscripts from the bible and have better ones. Also I discovered that the ESV has missing verses because they were originally not supposed to be there. So it kind of makes me kind of upset that they'd at something that wasn't supposed to be there in the first place which is something you're not supposed to do to the bible.

Anyway the question is what bible should I consider being my main? Yes I know about the NASB and NIV which I think are okay. Also if this kind of topic isn't allowed please lock it.

Bible hub, godvine, bible gateway are modern english translations to interpret biblical concepts that were written in 1611. Also you can try buying an niv, nasb, good news bible, or any modern english bible version.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I use NKJV, and have read from NASB, and liked it too. There are small shortcomings I see, but such that won't bother other readers. All versions may have some small departure from what was originally written, and there is a bit of weakness in translation to another language anyway. But these are, from a number of versions I have looked at, so far, what I personally think are the best ones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From what I have seen from the World English Bible, from looking in recent times, it seems like a good translation, and it has the name of God used in all the places where the name was originally written, in the scriptures, which is in many places, rather than replacing the name revealed to be remembered with a title for him, as many, evidently most, other translations do, and I like that about the WEB. This is not something for just cultists which have some heretical beliefs, but something that is really biblical for us, as was said in what was originally written in the Bible.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Having a good Bible is certainly important for a believer. There are still Christian believers in places without Bibles available to them, and they are really wanting them, and Bibles should be made available to them. Those in such circumstances are still committed Christians, they face even great persecution of Christianity. The essential thing for Christian believers, which they have, is committed relationship they come to with God through Christ who made it possible. This we should have whether we have a Bible or not, though there is much to learn that we don't without having the Bible available to us, to read or hear. So translations generally are good for that, even if some are better than others for a reader, so a translation one has shouldn't be simply dismissed. But still learning from fellow believers can be really helpful, God uses such things.

Upvote 0

Geoghegan

Too many questions.
Jan 24, 2018
Chicago
✟16,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I started with the ESV because it was easy for me to understand. I have slipped into the KJV without even trying but whenever I get hung up on a verse that I don't understand, I pull out the ESV version to get a little clarity. This is very base; I really ought to break it down in a word study but since I'm not normally that motivated, it's a great translation for comprehension. God bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Geoghegan

Too many questions.
Jan 24, 2018
Chicago
✟16,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Geoghegan , how do you pronounce your name? (I wasn't able to ask on your profile.)
Take any three letters out besides the first and the last and just make a noise. That's my name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suppose I should give ESV more chance, I have looked at it at some point in the past. It is getting so much support here.

Sketcher said:
Go with the one your church uses, so you can more easily follow along.

I appreciate finding the church I attend using the version of the Bible I bring along if it does. But as I can follow along with another version being read, as the translation is not too different, I don't need the one I bring to be the same version. In fact doing this I think helped me weed out versions I brought that would read a little too differently for my comfort. A consensus of reputable translations is good. And I have checked some other versions a little bit against those reputable ones with such good consensus. Ultimately I have looked at a Greek English Interlinear New Testament for some authority on some passages.

Geoghegan said:
Take any three letters out besides the first and the last and just make a noise. That's my name.

I will suspect this means taking any three consecutive letters not including the first or last letters. It would not come out anywhere like the same if the first E, and the middle G, and then the last G, were taken out. But thanks for this bit of entertainment. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Geoghegan
Upvote 0

Brother Ron

Nov 1, 2016
Wisconsin
✟8,451.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I use the NASB for the majority of my bible study, but also have the KJV, NKJV, and the Amplified bible.
The Amplified bible includes other definitions or words in some verses to help grasp the full meaning of a verse. You will notice that i said "Bible study" and not bible reading. I feel you should always approach it as such. I also feel it is very important to ask the Holy Spirit to help you understand what you are studying. It is the Holy Spirit that reveals scripture to us as we study the Word of God. His Word is Spirit and Life. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and truth. Take time to get to know your Heavenly Father through fellowship with Him through His precious Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not a thing, but is God in the Spirit. (The very Spirit of God) You will never find a more faithful friend than Him if you will spend the time to get to know Him. He stands at the door and knocks, if anyone opens the door He will come in and dine with him.(have communion/fellowship with) He yearns to have fellowship with you... spend time in His presence and allow Him to reveal Himself to you. :)

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Kristen Davis

Dec 9, 2017
Alpharetta
✟11,497.00
Country
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been debating in my head whether or not to use a specific bible to read. I like the word for word bibles more than the thought for thought ones. Mostly because I think having a English bible that's close to the original manuscripts is good. I'm stuck between wanting to make ESV my main or NKJV my main. Both are good but ESV uses modern manuscripts from the Dead Sea scrolls and uses more modern English.

NKJV is basically just an updated version of the same book that came out years ago. Since then we've found more manuscripts from the bible and have better ones. Also I discovered that the ESV has missing verses because they were originally not supposed to be there. So it kind of makes me kind of upset that they'd at something that wasn't supposed to be there in the first place which is something you're not supposed to do to the bible.

Anyway the question is what bible should I consider being my main? Yes I know about the NASB and NIV which I think are okay. Also if this kind of topic isn't allowed please lock it.

I would use KJV and Good News Bible, and bible hub as a resource to interpret words in english language. Also Naexx is having bible study if your interested!

Upvote 0