What to do?

k8tie

Apr 5, 2004
✟158.00
Faith
Protestant
Hi there, all. It's my first time here. I'd simply like to ask other Christians' advice on this situation. I recently found out that my 70-year-old father (a Christian) has some not-so-pure pictures on his computer. Lots of them. I definitely had not been prying, but came across a few while doing some work. We don't have a terribly close relationship, so I am not sure what I should do. Pray for him, yes. He's caught up in a sin. I am not sure how to confront him, however. Any Spirit-filled people have advice or thoughts? :confused:

rockwell

Mar 22, 2004
✟318.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I'm not in your situation and maybe i would not even know what do do if i was you

what i do know is that when i have something important to say/do I Pray and pray and pray. I even fast sometimes if needed.

You will then be faced with many options and will act accoring to your conviction, spirit and what gives you peace.

Sorry i cant help you more - but i pray God will lead you to do the right thing.

Upvote 0

Rage4Christ

Feb 28, 2004
✟997.00
Faith
Christian
k8tie

Unconditional love. Everyone has their own obsticles in the path to Christ-- it is not your job to do anyone's spiritual work for them.

If he purposely took no precautions for privacy, and you want to use his computer again-- you may want to say. "Thanks for letting me use your computer. I did come across some sexually explicity material. I would like to use your computer in the future but would prefer not to be exposed to such content, could you please make sure I don't come across it again."

Express the situation in terms of how you feel. But do this in a loving, non-judgemental way.

Just from my own perspective I'm thinking: 70 years old, not so slick with computers-- he probably didn't know just how to be private on a computer. If you aren't completely loving, and merely sticking up for yourself and what you want-- he'll feel foolish, stupid and embarrased.

My final recommendation. Don't use his computer anymore. Unless he asks you for advice, don't start doing the heavy spiritual lifting for him. THat never works-- it only gets you distracted from your own challenges.

Upvote 0

Alternate Carpark

Mar 9, 2004
msn
✟4,459.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Well said Rage4Christ.

It is so easy for anyone to slip into sin. We are all capable of falling
God is not concerned about the act of sin but the reasons why we sin.
I'd be praying for God to shed His light into this area of your father's life.

I have been in that situation of being addicted to images that you describe.
Glory to God ! Actually I was addicted from as early as 8 years old, but now set free.

Addiction is always related to filling a need of the heart.
This need is always associated with the desire to be loved.
You may find that your father has a particular area in his life that he feels unloved in.

Pleasurable experiences (drugs, alcohol, sex) covers over this need, it gives the impression that the need is filled and satisfied.
But because it doesn't completely fulfill this need, we keep going back to the pleasurable experience to 'fill' the need again.
This is how addictions come about.

God is concerned about healing your father of his need to be loved in whatever area it may be, not that he is sinning.
When God heals your father, and your father feels loved in this area, he will stop sinning.

Reactions: seangoh
Upvote 0

k8tie

Apr 5, 2004
✟158.00
Faith
Protestant
Thank you, you guys. I really appreciate the insight, and esp. your vulnerability, AC. I'm so glad God gave you the victory!

I did figure I should pray to have a loving attitude instead of a judgmental one, and from your posts, I can better understand why. God's heart for my dad is completely loving and redemptive; I need to come alongside the Lord in this effort to fill the need in my dad's heart. A valuable lesson! :)

Upvote 0

oceanofdreamz

Shoulda Been Born Israeli
Mar 23, 2004
America sadly, I picked the Israeli flag cause I w
✟7,987.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Hey k8tie,
Welcome to the board.
Anyhow regarding yuor question praying is the most important thing. I would then talk to him, tell him you were on his computer and ask him what's going on. Satan's enbounds christians with that kinda stuff to. If he wants help for it. Pray with him, ask God to come and tell him (your dad) you love him...
I don't have any more advice.

Hope it works out love ya in Him (Christ),
Caitlyn

Upvote 0