What to do when no longer attracted to wife?

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... Yes. And I really dont understand how that will make her more physically attractive.

can't find the article
if can remember doing NEW things bonds people

when people start dating and doing NEW things together,
part of the attraction between the people is from doing NEW things/having adventures

bonding and attraction between people often come from chemicals produced by the body

if you and your wife get out of your routines and go do some brand NEW things/have adventures, you can kick some of those chemicals in and yes she will become more physically attractive to you

so go try something NEW

get in a speed boat, go hot air ballooning, volunteer somewhere together, dress up to the nines and attend a fancy fundraiser
just find some NEW things to do and then come back and tell us how you 2 are doing

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tend to doubt a guy who’s shared life experiences that none of us can conceive of with his partner is going to get some unifying perspective from “dating his wife” he doesn’t have already. He buried a child with her and is watching her battle a medical condition... If you can’t look at your partner and find anything to attach to and find desirable and attractive beyond how she looks (or doesn’t), a date won’t fix that.

Especially since the issue here isn’t her “unattractiveness,” but his unwillingness to change or even try work on himself or his issues, which is the real source of this. She could wake up the most beautiful person in the world tomorrow, the issues he has that landed him where he is would be dormant, but still present. At some point he has to face them.

Upvote 0

CodySmith

Site Supporter
May 29, 2018
Virginia
✟48,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
.... Especially since the issue here isn’t her “unattractiveness,” but his unwillingness to change or even try work on himself or his issues, which is the real source of this. She could wake up the most beautiful person in the world tomorrow, the issues he has that landed him where he is would be dormant, but still present. At some point he has to face them.

I'm not understanding what you believe I need to 'face' here? Or what you suggest i do?

:question::questionwhite::question:

Upvote 0

JRichard68

There is too much butter on those trays
May 28, 2017
Vancouver
✟32,163.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm not understanding what you believe I need to 'face' here? Or what you suggest i do?

Maybe facing that physical attraction does not make a marriage or a physical/intimate relationship. I couldn't help noticing when someone questioned whether your wife resembled the illustration of the person at a certain BMI, your first response was to laugh and a "yeah, right".

The issue here is that you've no idea what contributes to intimacy in your marriage. You've latched on to this idea that your wife isn't physically attractive (I don't know, all we have is your word...), and drawn a conclusion that physical intimacy is impossible for that reason. That's called A ---> C reasoning. Something happens - an "Activating event" (e.g. you see your wife), and a "Consequence" or outcome (the thought "I'm not turned on because she isn't attractive"). And that's a losing bet every time, because the consequence really has nothing to do with the event. You being turned on or not has nothing to do with her. It has to do with your Beliefs about her. And that's the only thing that's in your power to change - your beliefs about her and the situation you're in. From what I've gathered reading this thread so far is that the belief you have is "physical intimacy is not possible unless my partner is attractive to me". Where and how you've learned that, it's stuck with you and it's being projected onto your wife. But it's not your wife's belief, it's yours.

So that changes the equation a bit: A ---> B ---> C

You see your wife (activating event) ---> "Physical intimacy is not possible unless my partner is attractive to me" (belief) ---> "I'm not turned on" (consequence)

Now, it has everything to do with you and nothing to do with her. Now the question becomes what changes you want to make about the beliefs that are getting in the way of physical intimacy with your wife.
Make sense?

Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your wife is not the one failing to get an erection. You are. Have you gone to the doctor yet to get help with that, as suggested earlier in the thread?

Upvote 0

MamaBear777

Jun 20, 2018
Northern Ireland
✟16,092.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I just really feel for you wife. She has lost a child, has on-going health issues and now she has to deal with a husband who is being very unloving in his opinion of her, and laying all this at her door.

Please do not tell your wife you find her unattractive.

If it's purely a physical/attraction thing (as you seem convinced it is) you need to just take one for the team and use modern medicine. I honestly don't think God has an issue with this, anymore than he has an issue with someone taking medication to help their blood pressure.

I agree with a previous poster that you need to grow closer spiritually. Are you both involved in a biblically sound church? Do you pray together? Read the bible together? I really do think you need to go to Christian counselling. I don't know why you are so dismissive of it.

My husband's body has changed dramatically since we both started crossfit. I have always found him attractive, however, because I look at him and see this amazing person with a big heart, a partner GOD sent along in an answer to prayer. He's kind and puts others before himself. He is an amazing blessing to my life and to our children Surely that's more attractive than a flat stomach?

I'm sure your wife has many attractive qualities about her that have so much more value than her external shell. Focusing on this may or may not fix your ED, I recognise that mens bodies work differently than womens. But I do think you need to change your perception of your wife and focus less on her value being tied up with her weight. You may say you dont value her based on her weight, but you keep mentioning divorce because she's overweight, so I would disagree. Treasure your wife.

Love one another and great others the way you would want to be treated. If your wife physically couldn't have sex with you and you wanted to have sex with her you would want her to go to the Dr/counsellor and try to make it right. You need to be more proactive than just constantly mentioning divorce a d refusing to take any positive steps.

Personally I think this is more of a heart issue than you think.

Upvote 0

MamaBear777

Jun 20, 2018
Northern Ireland
✟16,092.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I should add, there are plenty of good books/resources on relationships and sex within a Christian marriage. Paul Tripp has a marriage course and a book called "What did you expect", for example. I'll be praying for both of you.

• Friendly
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I think you should research her condition. She has absolutely zero control over what is happening in her body. There are things she can do that will minimize her weight gain, but if she is otherwise healthy, she's still going to gain a bunch of weight that is far beyond her control. Your reaction is also beyond her control. Go home and love your wife like Jesus loves the church. That is your call in the Lord Jesus, as a husband.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think you should research her condition. She has absolutely zero control over what is happening in her body. There are things she can do that will minimize her weight gain, but if she is otherwise healthy, she's still going to gain a bunch of weight that is far beyond her control. Your reaction is also beyond her control. Go home and love your wife like Jesus loves the church. That is your call in the Lord Jesus, as a husband.

I've lost track in this hugely long thread. Did he ever say what her condition was?

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,987.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So here we are... she longs for me physically... I long 'to long' for her physically... I dont (the exact opposite of the norm). We both believe in God now. We didnt before. We are married.
She wants him but he doesn't want her. And lots of other issues in between.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I remember the losing the child part - just didn't remember any specifics on the medical condition. I just remember something vague like "getting pregnant again might kill her" (and I'm too lazy to re-read 6 pages of the thread...lol)

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Her condition is called PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I know two women who have it. One put on probably 50 lbs and she takes very good care of her body (she is also only about 5'2"), she has a terrific outlook, she is a teacher, and she has a very active social life, including being involved at her church. The other let her medical conditions take over and poison her outlook, she eats for comfort and has lost all her friends because she's so difficult to be around - and she has put on probably 400 lbs (she's about 5'7").

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Her condition is called PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I know two women who have it. One put on probably 50 lbs and she takes very good care of her body (she is also only about 5'2"), she has a terrific outlook, she is a teacher, and she has a very active social life, including being involved at her church. The other let her medical conditions take over and poison her outlook, she eats for comfort and has lost all her friends because she's so difficult to be around - and she has put on probably 400 lbs (she's about 5'7").
Yes, she's very large. She gets winded easily, and basically lives in her bedroom. But like I said, that one didn't take care of herself, so it's definitely not all PCOS. The people I know with PCOS usually gain about 40-50 lbs.

Reactions: DZoolander
Upvote 0