Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What purpose are we saved for?

We are saved to live in God, be a child of God, and work holiness and or righteousness by obeying God and we are saved to live in His kingdom one day.

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The saved, are on a mission for Christ. We are chosen to serve him like a bondservant. Having God's grace transform you into the likeness of his Son so you can live a Godly life, and show that light to the lost world so maybe they will come to the light and believe in the gospel.

The Antinomian's don't want to accept this, and unfortunately, antinomians are increasing and spreading their cults around.

The Antinomians are the ones who are spreading the heresy that one would have to continually live a wicked life while making a profession of faith, the goal of the antinomians are to look like hypocrites.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The saved, are on a mission for Christ. We are chosen to serve him like a bondservant. Having God's grace transform you into the likeness of his Son so you can live a Godly life, and show that light to the lost world so maybe they will come to the light and believe in the gospel.

The Antinomian's don't want to accept this, and unfortunately, antinomians are increasing and spreading their cults around.

The Antinomians are the ones who are spreading the heresy that one would have to continually live a wicked life while making a profession of faith, the goal of the antinomians are to look like hypocrites.

I agree. But we need to pray for them and to love them with the love of Christ even if what they believe and what they do is repulsive to us.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree. But we need to pray for them and to love them with the love of Christ even if what they believe and what they do is repulsive to us.

I agree we must stay humble in the sight of the Lord.

I have had a talk with one yesterday. One professing Christian was being anti-semetic, I absolutely had no idea what his religion was (I assumed he was an atheist).

Told him how God made mankind as one blood, and that under our skin we are all the same. Said it in a regular conversational tone, he thought I was in the wrong for bringing that up and that racism is ok to continue to do since "God understands" according to his logic. He told me not to judge next time.

Hopefully, God will reason with him soon, I notice things don't happen on the spot.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree we must stay humble in the sight of the Lord.

I have had a talk with one yesterday. One professing Christian was being anti-semetic, I absolutely had no idea what his religion was (I assumed he was an atheist).

Told him how God made mankind as one blood, and that under our skin we are all the same. Said it in a regular conversational tone, he thought I was in the wrong for bringing that up and that racism is ok to continue to do since "God understands" according to his logic. He told me not to judge next time.

Hopefully, God will reason with him soon, I notice things don't happen on the spot.

I believe we all can be saved equally both Jew and Gentiles through faith in Jesus Christ and then by continuing to be faithful to Him.

In Christ's early ministry with his disciples, salvation first went out to the Jews only and then after Christ's resurrection, the plan of salvation went out to all people (i.e. to all nations).

In the Old Covenant, there were times God saved Gentiles and not only Jews. The story of Jonah is one example. The story of Rahab is another. Of course, this is another topic of discussion altogether, though.

Anyways, may God bless you today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What purpose are we saved for?

We are saved to live in God, be a child of God, and work holiness and or righteousness by obeying God and we are saved to live in His kingdom one day.
An ancient classic teaching says that our purpose is to know, love, and serve God, and also to live with Him in ineffable happiness in the next life. We're to be elevated, transformed into His image: God's always wanted the very best for man and, out of love, desires to share in His own goodness and happiness. The whole drama wouldn't really make much sense unless that were true. Love seeks the good of another-and God is love.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
An ancient classic teaching says that our purpose is to know, love, and serve God, and also to live with Him in ineffable happiness in the next life. We're to be elevated, transformed into His image: God's always wanted the very best for man and, out of love, desires to share in His own goodness and happiness. The whole drama wouldn't really make much sense unless that were true. Love seeks the good of another-and God is love.

Yes, obeying God would include us being true, and in loving God and others.

• Agree
Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, obeying God would include us being true, and in loving God and others.
Yes, and obedience, something which Adam couldn't yet muster, is only authentic, and consistent, when we love. Once we love we obey naturally, and for the right reason. Our justice is then intact.

And this, BTW, is why the Greatest Commandments are what they are, because they define man's justice or righteousness. Man isn't meant to merely obey God's commands (which he can't do perfectly on his own anyway), rather man is meant to love God and neighbor, whereby the law is automatically fulfilled. I appreciate the way Basil of Cesarea, a 3rd century believer, put it:
"If we turn away from evil out of fear of punishment, we are in the position of slaves. If we pursue the enticement of wages, . . . we resemble mercenaries. Finally if we obey for the sake of the good itself and out of love for him who commands . . . we are in the position of children."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, and obedience, something which Adam couldn't yet muster, is only authentic, and consistent, when we love. Once we love we obey naturally, and for the right reason. Our justice is then intact.

And this, BTW, is why the Greatest Commandments are what they are, because they define man's justice or righteousness. Man isn't meant to merely obey God's commands (which he can't do perfectly on his own anyway), rather man is meant to love God and neighbor, whereby the law is automatically fulfilled. I appreciate the way Basil of Cesarea, a 3rd century believer, put it:
"If we turn away from evil out of fear of punishment, we are in the position of slaves. If we pursue the enticement of wages, . . . we resemble mercenaries. Finally if we obey for the sake of the good itself and out of love for him who commands . . . we are in the position of children."

There is nothing wrong with a healthy fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. In time, as a Christian matures in their walk with the Lord, and they obey, their perfect love (via obedience) casts out fear. They learn about God's love more and they learn to obey as an understanding of God's love, and they cast out fear by perfecting love in obedience. If a believer is in sin and they are not confessing that sin, they should fear the Lord because Jesus says fear the One who can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna.

Side Note:

I also believe in Sola Scriptura, so we do not agree on the obedience portion or the commands part as a part of following Jesus. You believe in church traditions (In addition to the Bible) as a part of obedience; I do not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing wrong with a healthy fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. In time, as a Christian matures in their walk with the Lord, and they obey, their perfect love (via obedience) casts out fear. They learn about God's love more and they learn to obey as an understanding of God's love, and they cast out fear by perfecting love in obedience. If a believer is in sin and they are not confessing that sin, they should fear the Lord because Jesus says fear the One who can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna.
I doubt Basil would disagree here at all; he was describing the right progression of things. Anyway, love compels obedience in the end. That's the essence of the New Covenant in fact, the means by which God places His law in our minds and writes it on our hearts.
Side Note:

I also believe in Sola Scriptura, so we do not agree on the obedience portion or the commands part as a part of following Jesus.
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments." John 14:15
The gospel must never be seen as a license to escape man's obligation to be righteous, to be who we were created to be IOW. God didn't create us to be sinners after all, and His purpose is to restore justice to His wayward creation, not to ignore it, and to produce even more justice or righteousness yet as He transforms us, with our cooperation, into beings who love, into His own image IOW. His intention has never been to leave us as sinners, as if He'd be unloving to actually demand holiness; He wants more for us than to leave us as we are.
You believe in church traditions (In addition to the Bible) as a part of obedience; I do not.
We simply believe that Jesus revealed the nature and will of God exhaustively, as never before, and some of that revelation was written by early disciples, and some was not-as there was no need to; the bible was never intended to serve as a catechism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Man was created to glorify God (ref. the Bible).
However, unredeemed man cannot do this
because he is an enemy of God (ref. the NT).
Redeemed man through his true saving faith
is capable of glorifying God, but it is no easy
task walking down that narrow path to heaven.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Man was created to glorify God (ref. the Bible).
However, unredeemed man cannot do this
because he is an enemy of God (ref. the NT).
Redeemed man through his true saving faith
is capable of glorifying God, but it is no easy
task walking down that narrow path to heaven.

Indeed. I agree.

May God bless you this fine day, brother.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
love compels obedience in the end. That's the essence of the New Covenant in fact, the means by which God places His law in our minds and writes it on our hearts.

“If you love me, you will keep my commandments." John 14:15
The gospel must never be seen as a license to escape man's obligation to be righteous, to be who we were created to be IOW. God didn't create us to be sinners after all, and His purpose is to restore justice to His wayward creation, not to ignore it, and to produce even more justice or righteousness yet as He transforms us, with our cooperation, into beings who love, into His own image IOW. His intention has never been to leave us as sinners, as if He'd be unloving to actually demand holiness; He wants more for us than to leave us as we are.

I am not in disagreement with the necessity of holiness and obedience for a believer's life. If there is no holiness or obedience and a believer justifies sin in some way, they are showing that they are not of God (See: 1 John 3:10).

You said:
We simply believe that Jesus revealed the nature and will of God exhaustively, as never before, and some of that revelation was written by early disciples, and some was not-as there was no need to; the bible was never intended to serve as a catechism.

I was merely informing you of what I believe, and it was not my intention to stray off topic in debating against Catholicism (of which I disagree with).

In any event, may God's goodness be upon you today.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If there is no holiness or obedience and a believer justifies sin in some way, they are showing that they are not of God (See: 1 John 3:10).
Yes, there are many dozens of warnings in the NT
re: the believer who is habitual (unrepentant) sinning
is no longer righteous in the eyes of God,
and is on his/her way to hell. Of course, sincere
repentance can reverse this disastrous situation!

This Truth is confirmed by many of God's prophets
and watchmen in these last days!

And this Truth is confirmed by many people who
have visited hell and returned to warn us about
who is there (and why they are there)!

This book has been translated into 130 languages:
"A Divine Revelation of Hell" by Mary K. Baxter,
who has given her testimony all over the world.

God has been providing all of these warnings
to His people because the churches are filled
with so-called "believers" who have been deceived
into thinking that habitual sinning is A-OK.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there are many dozens of warnings in the NT that
the believer who is habitual (unrepentant) sinning
is no longer righteous in the eyes of God,
and is on his/her way to hell. Of course, sincere
repentance can reverse this disastrous situation!

This Truth is confirmed by many of God's prophets
and watchmen in these last days!

And this Truth is confirmed by many people who
have visited hell and returned to warn us about
who is there (and why they are there)!
This book has been translated into 130 languages:
"A Divine Revelation of Hell" by Mary K. Baxter,
who has given her testimony all over the world.

I am strongly against OSAS, and Belief Alone-ism (Which is what the Bible clearly teaches).

As for the book you are referring to:

Yes, I have read it when I was a new Christian back in the 90's. But I do not believe in additional revelations or visions anymore based on the light of Scripture. Revelation makes it clear we are not to add or take away from His Word. I believe most all visions after Revelation are false. God talks to us using His Word.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But I do not believe in additional revelations or visions anymore based on the light of Scripture. Revelation makes it clear we are not to add or take away from His Word. I believe most all visions after Revelation are false. God talks to us using His Word.
None of us know everything;
and that's why we need each other!
Believing that God does not talk to us via
dreams, visions, prophecies, etc. is a severe error.
What about Peter's explanation about the last days
in Acts 2:17-21 re: the blue where he quotes Joel 2?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
None of us know everything;
and that's why we need each other!
Believing that God does not talk to us via
dreams, visions, prophecies, etc. is a severe error.
What about Peter's explanation about the last days
in Acts 2:17-21 re: the blue where he quotes Joel 2?

I believe Peter is referring to the last days as the time he was living in and not in some far distant future. Peter was referring to the event that just happened.

If you want to discuss more on this issue, I would suggest this thread I created a while back here:

Cessationism: Tongues, Prophecy, and the Gift of Miracles Have Ceased.

Upvote 0