Discussion What prophets today has a perfect record of not giving any failed prophecies that are clear? And, h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is there anything to the fact, no one can question Ellen Whites prophecies?

No in fact we encourage study of the scripture to see if she is correct. She supports the bible and is not in
place of the bible.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This is what Ellen White said

"Some have stumbled over the fact that I said I did not claim to be a prophet; and they have asked, Why is this?

"I have had no claims to make, only that I am instructed that I am the Lord's messenger; that He called me in my youth to be His messenger, to receive His word, and to give a clear and decided message in the name of the Lord Jesus.

"Early in my youth I was asked several times, Are you a prophet? I have ever responded, I am the Lord's messenger. I know that many have called me a prophet, but I have made no claim to this title.

Ellen G. White® Estate: "I do not claim to be a prophetess."
Well that's good, even if you don't take her to be a prophetess, you aren't disagreeing with her.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No in fact we encourage study of the scripture to see if she is correct. She supports the bible and is not in
place of the bible.

That is not what the video said, start at around 50 seconds in and hear the list of things the church claims. One is that her prophesies cannot be questioned, so where do you suppose he got that idea.

Does the church not claim that?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think one of the issues might be the volume of prophecy. For example in the book of Acts Agabus gave two recorded prophecies over a twenty five year term (Acts 11:27-28, Acts 21:10-11). Some prophets in the bible only gave one prophecy in their entire lifetime.

There are modern day 'prophets' cranking out books the size of the bible every few months. Some have daily monetized podcasts. To maintain their 'ministry' it is often expected. It's lucrative, attention gives a buzz and there is peer pressure to waffle and tickle ears. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That is not what the video said, start at around 50 seconds in and hear the list of things the church claims. One is that her prophesies cannot be questioned, so where do you suppose he got that idea.

Does the church not claim that?

Lots of water from these storms get back to you later when I get back into town next week

Upvote 0

garee

Feb 18, 2013
✟22,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What prophets today has a perfect record of not giving any failed prophecies that are clear? And, have not taught false doctrine?

A Christian prophet is one that declares the words of another (Christ) They are called apostles.( sent ones) with no other meaning added. There are prophets as apostles today that declare the existing word sealed with 7 seals till the end of time .

We test them by acknowledging no new prophet has spoken. We have the perfect of full with no laws missing by which we could know him more intimately .

The air way remains open to false prophets or dreamers that bring there lying wonders to wonder about .Signs are for those who believe not .Prophecy for those who can believe

• Friendly
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A Christian prophet is one that declares the words of another (Christ) They are called apostles.( sent ones) with no other meaning added. There are prophets as apostles today that declare the existing word sealed with 7 seals till the end of time .

We test them by acknowledging no new prophet has spoken. We have the perfect of full with no laws missing by which we could know him more intimately .

The air way remains open to false prophets or dreamers that bring there lying wonders to wonder about .Signs are for those who believe not .Prophecy for those who can believe

I think you may be in the wrong forum...

From the Statement of Purpose

"
The Holy Spirit speaks what He hears from them, and it may be through various ways such as:

• tongues and interpretation
  • a prophetic word
  • or a word of knowledge"

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

garee

Feb 18, 2013
✟22,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you may be in the wrong forum...

From the Statement of Purpose

"
The Holy Spirit speaks what He hears from them, and it may be through various ways such as:

• tongues and interpretation
  • a prophetic word
  • or a word of knowledge"

Tongues is prophecy .3000 from many nations heard the gospel the tongue of God and accredited the work to the word of God. Not to senseless sounds and men falling backward slain in the spirit . Making a mockery of the spirit of judgement.

Why seek after wonderments as signs rather than prophecy the end of the matter? Like. . . . Show us then we will believe. Making Jesus a circus seal..

John 6:30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tongues is prophecy .3000 from many nations heard the gospel the tongue of God and accredited the work to the word of God. Not to senseless sounds and men falling backward slain in the spirit . Making a mockery of the spirit of judgement.

Why seek after wonderments as signs rather than prophecy the end of the matter? Like. . . . Show us then we will believe. Making Jesus a circus seal..

John 6:30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

That's the problem...to be a part of the Spirit-Filled and Charismatic movement is to believe in the gifts of tongues in both the language of men and of angels, that prophets are still around today, and that folks may be "slain in the spirit"

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What was her closed door teaching?
"
THE "SHUT DOOR" DOCUMENTS
Statements Relating to the "Shut Door,"
the Door of Mercy, and the Salvation of Souls
by Ellen G. White and Other Early Adventists

Arranged in a Chronological Setting from 1844 to 1851
Compiled, with Occasional Commentary, by
Robert W. Olson

Ellen G. White Estate
Washington D. C.
April 11, 1982

[p. 2]

1. October 22, 1844--After the Great Disappointment the Belief was Widespread That Probation had Closed on October 22, 1844.

In 1868 James White wrote:

And a general impression remained upon the minds of believers for some time after the disappointment, that the seventh-month movement was in the direct providence of God, and that those who had been engaged in this work had done his will.

And according to the best light they then had, there was a general agreement that the seventh-month movement was the last great test, that the harvest of the earth was ripe for the sickle of the Son of man, and that the door was shut. That the salvation of the soul, or perdition, hung upon the manner in which those who heard treated that solemn message, I doubt not. And this is especially clear in the case of the disappointed believers after the time passed. In holding fast and believing, there was salvation; in drawing back, the result would be perdition. The view, however, that the harvest of the earth was ripe, and that the door was shut, was soon abandoned. But although all, long since, gave up this position as incorrect, I fail to see why they should be censured for taking it upon the passing of the time. In fact, the conclusion seems very natural, and I hardly see how they could have come to any other. I will here mention some of the reasons why such conclusion was reasonable, if not unavoidable.

1. William Miller and others had taught that the door would be shut, and that probation would close a short time before the second advent. In a letter to Elder J. V. Himes, October 6, 1844, he said: "I am strong in the opinion that the next will be the last Lord's day sinners will ever have in probation. And within ten or fifteen days from thence, they will see Him whom they have hated and despised, to their shame and everlasting contempt."

2. And, certainly, that probation will close prior to the second advent is plainly taught in the following emphatic testimony from Rev. xxii, 11, 12: "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still; and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still; and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still; and he that is holy, let him be holy still. And behold I come quickly." I will only add, that the order of events here given is, first, the final decision of all men living at the close of probation, and, second, then follows the advent of Him who says, "And behold I come quickly."

3. All true believers expected that probation would close as soon as the tenth day of the seventh month. And as the time of expectation drew near, their burdened spirits felt more and still more heavily the weight and responsibility of doing every duty to others. But as the point of expectation was finally reached, all this burden at once fell off. This was as true of the isolated brother or sister, in some distant part of the country, as with those in the crowded city mingling with hundreds of like faith. It was true of all. All felt that their work in warning sinners was done. No one can have a just idea of this great change, only those who participated in the movement, and came up to the time of expectation with the burden of the solemn work upon them. Jesus had not come as they expected, and why this great change had come over all was a matter of proper inquiry. And how natural the conclusion, to say the least, that probation was ended.

4. The change that had suddenly come over the ungodly seemed to strengthen the conviction that the door was shut. Although the passing of the time, removing their fears, may now be regarded as a sufficient cause for the change in them, yet at that time the fiend-like conduct of many after the tenth day passed, who but a few hours or days before had appeared penitent, gave the idea that the restraining influence of the Spirit of God had forever left them.

In view of these things it should not be a matter of surprise to any, that Adventists were agreed that the midnight cry was the last great test, that the work for the world was finished, and that the door was shut. (Emphasis supplied.) --Life Incidents (1868), pp. 184-186. See also E. G. White, Spirit of Prophecy, vol. IV, p. 268; The Great Controversy, p. 429.

[p. 3]"

rest here:
Ellen G. White® Estate: The "Shut Door" Documents

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some 'prophets' from Scotland in earlier years who are known to have made accurate predictions:

George Wishart SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons - Sermon Index
Alexander 'Prophet' Peden Alexander Peden - Wikipedia
Finlay Munro The Calum Maclean Project: The Miraculous Footprints of Finlay Munro

This last one perhaps more of a soothsayer than a Christian prophet:
Lady of Lawers - Wikipedia

Am I misreading "in earlier years" to mean they made mistakes in their later years?

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This forum is only for posters who believe in God's spiritual gifts and they're for today - forum rules

I believe the gifts are for today. This thread was the result of a related thread on prophets today.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
senseless sounds - there's 6500 languages and some of them are clicks. But God isn't limited to those.

We know that research by linguists have concluded that no constructs of language are in tongue speaking services. I have already posted on that before. do a search on tongues lindquist here.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We know that research by linguists have concluded that no constructs of language are in tongue speaking services. I have already posted on that before. do a search on tongues lindquist here.

"Though I speak in the tongues of men and of angels..." 1 Corinthians 13:13

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.