What Passes for Evangelism in Charismatic Churches

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Typical modern Charismatic formula for preaching salvation.

- Preach a sermon that doesn't explain salvation.
- Don't explain salvation.
- Don't explain who God is.
- Don't explain who Jesus is.
- Don't tell the audience that Jesus is the Son of God.
- Don't mention his death on the cross.
- Don't explain atonement.
- Don't explain what sin is.
- Don't tell the audience that Jesus rose from the dead.
- Have the people repeat a prayer to 'ask Jesus into your heart'-- which isn't even in the Bible.
- Tell the audience if they repeated that prayer and meant it, that you believe they are saved.

Pay attention to altar calls in churches and on TV and tell me this isn't the case. It seems like more often than not, preachers try to get people 'saved' without telling them the Gospel.

Does anyone else see this as a problem?

I Corinthians 15

Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve.
(NKJV)

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When did evangelism become the work of the preacher.... or even to be preached from the pulpits of churches full of already saved Christians? The preacher is there to teach and encourage us. It is our task to go out, as Jesus did, and evangelize people where they live and work.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When did evangelism become the work of the preacher.... or even to be preached from the pulpits of churches full of already saved Christians? The preacher is there to teach and encourage us. It is our task to go out, as Jesus did, and evangelize people where they live and work.

I agree with you that we don't see preachers evangelizing 'in church' in the Bible. But if they do it, they shouldn't be promising salvation to people without telling them the Gospel yet. People will use the same technique I described in other settings as well.

Btw, I think a better question might be when did 'preaching' become something that is to be done in church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you that we don't see preachers evangelizing 'in church' in the Bible. But if they do it, they shouldn't be promising salvation to people without telling them the Gospel yet. People will use the same technique I described in other settings as well.

Btw, I think a better question might be when did 'preaching' become something that is to be done in church.
oh goodness me --you twisted his answer in a most dishonest fashion.. tut tut

Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
oh goodness me --you twisted his answer in a most dishonest fashion.. tut tut

Why do you like to accuse brethren? There is nothing dishonest about what I wrote in response. What is your point?

'Preach' is typically used in evangelistic situations in English translations of scripture. There are a few exceptions in some translations.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
he was asking you a question.. he asked you this question - "When did evangelism become the work of the preacher.... or even to be preached from the pulpits of churches full of already saved Christians? The preacher is there to teach and encourage us. It is our task to go out, as Jesus did, and evangelize people where they live and work."-

then you replied - "
"I agree with you that we don't see preachers evangelizing 'in church' in the Bible. "

your reply is out of context to what he said .. he asked you a question ..When did evangelism become the work of the preacher.... or even to be preached from the pulpits.... etc ?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

- Have the people repeat a prayer to 'ask Jesus into your heart'-- which isn't even in the Bible.
- Tell the audience if they repeated that prayer and meant it, that you believe they are saved.

Pay attention to altar calls in churches and on TV and tell me this isn't the case. It seems like more often than not, preachers try to get people 'saved' without telling them the Gospel.

now in regard to the topic .. yes ..i do find the gospel lacking in modern charismatic churches.. for some time now they are focused on a "seeker friendly" system which seeks to not offend . and that's out right nuts to me .. because sin is offensive and itself offended by the suggestion it is not righteous . thus the gospel will always give hope ND always offend the ones who are not truly seeking hope . the gospel is wondrous news to the tru seeker and harsh words to the rebellious heart .

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
he was asking you a question.. he asked you this question - "When did evangelism become the work of the preacher.... or even to be preached from the pulpits of churches full of already saved Christians? The preacher is there to teach and encourage us. It is our task to go out, as Jesus did, and evangelize people where they live and work."-

then you replied - "
"I agree with you that we don't see preachers evangelizing 'in church' in the Bible. "

your reply is out of context to what he said .. he asked you a question ..When did evangelism become the work of the preacher.... or even to be preached from the pulpits.... etc ?

I don't get your point at all. My response was right along the lines of what he said. And if you disagree, you have no basis for attacking my character over it.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

A hearty amen! The church is for the training and edifying of the saints for the work of the ministry. Which is reaching the lost with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

FoundInGrace

God's sparrow
Dec 27, 2003
✟38,472.00
Faith
Christian

I hear what youre saying as well asagree it Iis the responsibility of us all to evangelise (may God help us all to become better at doing this). One thing that I like about my church is if you bring someone along you can pretty much guarantee they will hear the gospel. Regardless of the topic or passage of scripture being spoken on the gospel is mentioned in 99% of the sermons. If it isnt specifically then the person will say something like 'if anyone here doesnt know Jesus and would like to know more about that then please come and have a chat with me or ttheperson you came with or anyone who has been up the front involved in the service today. Any of us would love to talk with you more about that.' As I've mentioned we have people coming to Christ and baptisms. It is important that the gospel is preached from the pulpit.. it helps with taking people to church knowing they will actually hear the gospel. Its all part of community working together.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it isnt specifically then the person will say something like 'if anyone here doesnt know Jesus and would like to know more about that then please come and have a chat with me or ttheperson you came with or anyone who has been up the front involved in the service today. Any of us would love to talk with you more about that.'

IMO, that is probably a much better way of handling it than doing it through a 'sinner's prayer' at the end of a sermon-- especially the version where they do this without explaining or preaching the Gospel and guarantee the sinner salvation.

We need to get rid of this doctrine of 'easy repeatism.' It's not even 'easy believism' because if the Gospel hasn't been presented, then it's just getting people to repeat a prayer. If getting people to repeat a prayer saves people, we could write sinner's prayers into Hollywood actor's lines for auditions and movies to get them all saved. You could even hold people at gunpoint, force them to repeat lines, and save the lot of them (please don't, of course). Or you could work a prayer into the pledge of allegiance in kindergarten. There is power in repeating the word of God, but like Israel, the word is not profitable to people unless it is 'mixed with faith in them that heard it.' As God lets us know through Isaiah, it is possible to honor God with one's lips while the heart is far from him.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Many thanks for reading this.

Now I see why my promotion of preaching the gospel is met with less than stellar reception. It also explains the preoccupation with self and sin. This 'splains a lot.

Thank you for opening my eyes and taking off my rose-colored glasses. lol

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I hear what youre saying as well asagree it Iis the responsibility of us all to evangelise (may God help us all to become better at doing this). One thing that I like about my church is if you bring someone along you can pretty much guarantee they will hear the gospel. Regardless of the topic or passage of scripture being spoken on the gospel is mentioned in 99% of the sermons. If it isnt specifically then the person will say something like 'if anyone here doesnt know Jesus and would like to know more about that then please come and have a chat with me or the person you came with or anyone who has been up the front involved in the service today. Any of us would love to talk with you more about that.' As I've mentioned we have people coming to Christ and baptisms. It is important that the gospel is preached from the pulpit.. it helps with taking people to church knowing they will actually hear the gospel. Its all part of community working together.
Now I give that a hearty AMEN my sister!

My church is the same way. My pastor does not want to have it on his heart that one visitor would ever leave the church service not having heard the gospel. Every church service the gospel is shared. It makes us realize that if we are not doing the same in our lives that we are just not doing what Jesus asked us to do.

I also love the other part of what you said, because this is SO important. If someone does not feel comfortable sharing the gospel or their testimony, if they just invite others to church they are indirectly sharing the gospel with that person or friend.

WONDERFUL COMMENTS.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I question the effectiveness of a church that has to keep presenting a salvation message every week. Where is the growth if you are constantly trying to make baby Christians? If your "gospel" message was at all effective why do you have to keep hoping your church gets saved? If it's a church it should already be saved. Time to grow up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I question the effectiveness of a church that has to keep presenting a salvation message every week. Where is the growth if you are constantly trying to make baby Christians? If your "gospel" message was at all effective why do you have to keep hoping your church gets saved? If it's a church it should already be saved. Time to grow up.

I think that the salvation message would not be geared towards the church per se, but towards guests and visitors. The salvation message can be as short as a few minutes. Most churches that I have been to save a full salvation message for when their is an outreach type of event. For instance our church does vacation bible school each summer and devotes a service to the children doing skits, songs, ect that they learned that week. Many people are those children's family and friends who come to see what they have learned, so they are not necessarily the church but many visitors at that service.

That's just the way I see it though, I'm sure others have different types of outreaches in their churches.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have great respect for preachers who only give evangelical messages when God tells them to. One, there's a really good chance that their church is actually saved and they are growing spiritually. Two, the timing and words will be right if there is someone who needs to hear the Gospel.

Upvote 0