Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I’m curious about how the term "Christian" is defined. I’ve been told by Christians that in order to be a Christian one must believe in God and in the divinity of Christ. I’m agnostic in the sense that I have no personal belief as to whether there is or is not a God in the traditional sense of the word, but I respect religion as an important aspect of human civilization. I also believe that Jesus was worshipped as God, and to me, by my definition of Divinity, I would say Jesus was Divine, if anything was or is. I do not reject or condemn his death on the cross, but I also consider it a myth. I am not sure if it is historically accurate or not.

I do not claim to have the answers, nor do I explicitly deny any of the essential doctrines of the Church. My views are not very sophisticated or based on rigorous study. I’m open to other perspectives, even beyond the question of whether or not I am a Christian.

I am not a follower of Christ, because I’m not sure that it’s possible to be one, but I admire his life and message. I acknowledge that Christianity has been used for both good and evil throughout history; I am influenced by Christian Democracy as a political philosophy to be clear, and for me, Christianity as it has developed seems to have deeply humanist views, at least comparatively.

Christianity is a beautiful and complex religion that I do not fully understand, but respect.

I believe that religion is a deeply rooted aspect of human civilization, and that our very understanding of the world itself as well as relation to others depends on it. A system of beliefs and practices, worship, adoration, beauty. community, and virtue; there seems to me a deep human need for these things at least in some capacity. Christianity stands out to me because of Jesus; his death on the cross for our sins, and his call for us to repent and turn away from the evil in the world - the evil that we stare at in the mirror, and the evil that has plagued every empire, every region, every city, and every person since the beginning of human civilization. I strongly condemn this evil as I admit I have no choose but to try and fight it within myself and within the world, I cannot choose not to speak out against things like the humanitarian crisis in North Korea.
I cannot sit idly by when I know that members of my extended human family are suffering because of our own sinfulness.

Please, whatever responses I receive, no matter how critical and no matter how honest and serious, please respect me and yourself as a result of extending such grace and profound understanding, thank you, my friend.
A Christian is a follower of what Christ taught and if someone's highest goal is to testify about the nature of who Christ is by following what he taught, then Christ has the position of God in their life. For example, our good works testify about God's goodness, which is why they bring glory to Him (Matthew 5:16).

If Christ hadn't been resurrected, then then are many reasons why Christianity would have ceased to be a religion along with all of the other Messianic religions that ceased after the execution of their leader so I find it a lot harder to believe that Christianity succeeded as a religion if Jesus hadn't been resurrected than to believe that Jesus was resurrected.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I started out in a similar place, though I was inclined to accept the existence of God simply because I saw no reason (or honest avenue) to question it. The thing about the historicity of the gospel narratives is that the crucifixion is one of the more attested to facts about ancient history, so questioning it generally comes from a place of antagonism rather than honest skepticism. The crucial part is the resurrection, which from my investigation the most parsimonious explanation of the surrounding evidence is that there was some genuineness to the claim. The only potentially viable candidate besides the resurrection actually happening seems to be the legendary hypothesis, but the legend would have to have developed in a way that no other legend has ever developed both in the temporal proximity and in the initial completeness that the resurrection claim came in. There's no evidence of a gradual development of legendary elements, the resurrection is one of the oldest verifiable claims about Jesus and is in my view the best explanation for the rapid spread of the belief. And if the resurrection is true, Jesus' claims about Himself become a lot more credible in light of it.

That's rather the idea I've heard from professional historians. It boils down to, "If we treat all historical evidence in the same light, if Jesus didn't exist, no other ancient historical figure existed either."

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see what you’re saying. Thanks for being both respectful and honest. Your response was helpful, but ultimately it doesn’t do much to help me conceptualize it in a different way.

The gospels are certainly interesting, but much in the same way that you said you don’t see much of a reason to doubt God’s existence, I often struggle to see much of a reason not to; at least not in the same way that I doubt my own consciousness.

We live in a very bizarre world, and to me, it’s certainly altogether possible that God does exist, and that Jesus was God. I think that part is settled, the part that is not settled however is whether that is capable of being “proven”, and to be frank, I’m not sure it’s possible to take it for granted as truth; nothing seems to be as lies are practically inescapable and we are complex enough not to fully trust ourselves or ability to understand the world.
At the same time, I don’t reject the fact that the gospels could’ve been true, and I certainly don’t count them as being false even If I don’t know anything about the historical accuracy of these things. I know what I know, and I don’t know what I don’t know. And so, for me there’s this sense in which I have to be careful not to reject anything, and to be very careful when adopting new ideas; I want to avoid false judgement.
Thanks for reading what I wrote, and actually responding; that means a lot to me, and I respect you a lot for it.
The understanding and certainty which you are seeking come only from the Holy Spirit.

And they are conditioned on the attitude that if he gives you that understanding and certainty, you will receive it as truth, embrace it and submit to it.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe a Christian is a person who has come to know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior ( John 3:16-21). Our basic way of following the Lord is to keep His commandments ( John 14:15-18).

His highest commandments are to love God & neighbor ( Matthew 22:36-40 etc.)the commandments for basic living ( Matthew 19:16-19, Romans 13:8-10 etc). We are to treat others as we would want to be treated according to the understanding above “golden rule”( Matthew 7:1-12, etc.).

Our basic way of living out the Lord’s commandments are in alms giving & prayer as the Lord tells us ( Matthew 6:1-15). We are to pray for ourselves and others ( 1 Timothy 2:1-8). While not everyone is an evangelist, we are still called to pray for evangelism ( Matthew 9:36-38).

The Christian has an assurance of salvation which is a commitment ( 1 Corinthians 15:1-3). Our ability to live by the commandments is a challenge in daily life & commit to renewal of repentance as we live ( 1 John 1:5-10). This world is full of chaos, tragedy, sorrow etc ( John 16:33).

While we as Christians have the assurance of salvation, we should understand judgment but not judge. The Lord says God will save the good and condemn the evil ( John 5:22-30). It is a very wide open issue actually ( Matthew 12:31-33). We should hope for as many as possible & trust in God ( 1 Corinthians 13:12-13).

Last edited:
Reactions: Napoleon215

Napoleon215

Sep 24, 2023
Southeast
✟8,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
There is a difference between believing Jesus rose from the dead and that (say) it rained on a particular day at a particular place given that rain happens often (but not every day) at this place. Let's say that it rains there once every two days on average: probability = 0.5 or 50%.

But what is the probability of someone rising from the dead? According to known medical science and historical knowledge it is close to or even actually zero. This is a genuine difficulty for the non believer. Christianity demands believing something which it is entirely reasonable to think is impossible. To regard it as possible one has to accept that God does exist: and that is God as described in the Bible.

With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Mt 19:26 though Jesus here was talking about whether a rich man can enter the kingdom of heaven - and on average we are so much richer now than then.

We read in the NT that those who are reported to have seen the risen Jesus lived the rest of their lives as if they believed that Jesus did rise from the dead. That is evidence rather than proof. So, as has already been stated an act of faith is required - may I say a leap of faith.
Great response, my friend.

• Love
Reactions: Vanellus
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference between believing Jesus rose from the dead and that (say) it rained on a particular day at a particular place given that rain happens often (but not every day) at this place. Let's say that it rains there once every two days on average: probability = 0.5 or 50%.

But what is the probability of someone rising from the dead? According to known medical science and historical knowledge it is close to or even actually zero. This is a genuine difficulty for the non believer. Christianity demands believing something which it is entirely reasonable to think is impossible. To regard it as possible one has to accept that God does exist: and that is God as described in the Bible.

With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Mt 19:26 though Jesus here was talking about whether a rich man can enter the kingdom of heaven - and on average we are so much richer now than then.

We read in the NT that those who are reported to have seen the risen Jesus lived the rest of their lives as if they believed that Jesus did rise from the dead. That is evidence rather than proof. So, as has already been stated an act of faith is required - may I say a leap of faith.
There were those who saw Lazarus and not only did not believe, but became even more Jesus' enemies.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’m curious about how the term "Christian" is defined. I’ve been told by Christians that in order to be a Christian one must believe in God and in the divinity of Christ. I’m agnostic in the sense that I have no personal belief as to whether there is or is not a God in the traditional sense of the word, but I respect religion as an important aspect of human civilization. I also believe that Jesus was worshipped as God, and to me, by my definition of Divinity, I would say Jesus was Divine, if anything was or is. I do not reject or condemn his death on the cross, but I also consider it a myth. I am not sure if it is historically accurate or not.

I do not claim to have the answers, nor do I explicitly deny any of the essential doctrines of the Church. My views are not very sophisticated or based on rigorous study. I’m open to other perspectives, even beyond the question of whether or not I am a Christian.

I am not a follower of Christ, because I’m not sure that it’s possible to be one, but I admire his life and message. I acknowledge that Christianity has been used for both good and evil throughout history; I am influenced by Christian Democracy as a political philosophy to be clear, and for me, Christianity as it has developed seems to have deeply humanist views, at least comparatively.

Christianity is a beautiful and complex religion that I do not fully understand, but respect.

I believe that religion is a deeply rooted aspect of human civilization, and that our very understanding of the world itself as well as relation to others depends on it. A system of beliefs and practices, worship, adoration, beauty. community, and virtue; there seems to me a deep human need for these things at least in some capacity. Christianity stands out to me because of Jesus; his death on the cross for our sins, and his call for us to repent and turn away from the evil in the world - the evil that we stare at in the mirror, and the evil that has plagued every empire, every region, every city, and every person since the beginning of human civilization. I strongly condemn this evil as I admit I have no choose but to try and fight it within myself and within the world, I cannot choose not to speak out against things like the humanitarian crisis in North Korea.
I cannot sit idly by when I know that members of my extended humh
A Christian is one who is willing to follow the principles taught by Jesus ... we will mess up here and there and Jesus is there to pick us up and begin again ... it's a struggle at times ... but we press towards the mark just the same.

Philippians 3:14​

14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What or who is a Christian?

Below is a quoted portion of Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. I believe it addresses some of the questions you raise and if I may be presumptuous, I highlighted a portion that may apply to your situation.

"The world does not consist of 100 per cent Christians and
100 per cent non-Christians. There are people (a great many of them) who
are slowly ceasing to be Christians but who still call themselves by that name:
some of them are clergymen. There are other people who are slowly becom-
ing Christians though they do not yet call themselves so. There are people
who do not accept the full Christian doctrine about Christ but who are so
strongly attracted by Him that they are His in a much deeper sense than they

themselves understand. There are people in other religions who are being led
by Gods secret influence to concentrate on those parts of their religion which
are in agreement with Christianity, and who thus belong to Christ without
knowing it. For example, a Buddhist of good will may be led to concentrate
more and more on the Buddhist teaching about mercy and to leave in the
background (though he might still say he believed) the Buddhist teaching
on certain other points. Many of the good Pagans long before Christ's birth
may have been in this position. And always, of course, there are a great many
people who are just confused in mind and have a lot of inconsistent beliefs all
jumbled up together. Consequently, it is not much use trying to make judg-
ments about Christians and non-Christians in the mass."

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I cannot sit idly by when I know that members of my extended human family are suffering because of our own sinfulness.

Please, whatever responses I receive, no matter how critical and no matter how honest and serious, please respect me and yourself as a result of extending such grace and profound understanding, thank you, my friend.
In its most simple definition, a Christian is somebody who believes in Christ.

In our culture, it usually means somebody who believes in Jesus Christ (that Jesus is the promised Christ).

The word Christ is from Greek Christos which means "anointed". Its from Jewish culture, in which kings and priests were anointed to their office. Jesus is the promised true king and true priest. If you believe that, you are technically a Christian.

Then, you can be a good or a bad Christian, educated on uneducated Christian, lukewarm, moderate or fanatical Christian, Christian of a specific denomination, saved or unsaved Christian etc.

Edit: There are also those who call themselves Christians, but are not. They use the name from cultural, traditional or other confused reasons, without truly believing in Christ.

Edit2: Some interchange the term "Christian" with being saved. You need to believe some specific things about Christ to be saved (for example in His death on the cross, resurrection, deity etc), but not for the term Christian as such.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

Folks, please review the Statement of Purpose for this forum. It includes:

Debate
There are some areas of theology in which different Christians may believe differently. In these situations, we would ask Christians to refrain from debating the matter here. You may point out that there is a differing viewpoint, but please do not use this forum to debate with other Christians. If Christians wish to discuss various doctrines with other Christians, they should do so in one of the Theology forums.​
Don't debate each other. Some clean up was done.

Reactions: Vanellus
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m curious about how the term "Christian" is defined. I’ve been told by Christians that in order to be a Christian one must believe in God and in the divinity of Christ.
Technically, that is not what defines a Christian. In fact, you can believe both of those things and not be a Christian.
A Christian believes that Jesus died for our sins and that He rose from the dead after three days.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV
1. Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2. By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4. And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

When people get saved, they know very little about the theology and details of why and how. It does not matter. You do not have to be a Bible scholar or a theologian to be saved. All you have to do is do the three things listed.

Jesus died for your sins.
Jesus was buried
Jesus was raised from the dead.

Then begins a process of learning and growing. But it all starts here.

Upvote 0

TruthInLight

Sep 28, 2018
Portland
✟33,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single

Being a Christian isn't just believing. Anyone can believe. It's also practicing the teachings of Christ Jesus and doing his words/will. There's a lot of people who say they are Christian but are not.

Considering his sacrifice on the cross a myth and claiming to not reject it is confusion.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The broadest definition--one which most Christians would consider less than sufficient--is that a Christian is a person who believes Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah.

However, in the early centuries of Christianity a lot of theological debates arose and forced the Christian community to create standards of faith which present an outline of what Christianity is and what Christians believe.

The baseline standard accepted by virtually all denominations for what Christianity teaches is the Nicene Creed. It's not exhaustive, but it presents a generalized consensus of belief. For someone not raised in the Church or even those who were but may not be familiar with the historical context of the Creed, it may not make complete sense right away. The Nicene Creed was written in a specific historical context concerning specific theological issues of the time--but nevertheless remains a central and essential standard of faith which Christians, across denominational lines, believe and accept enthusiastically.

In that sense, being a Christian includes being part of, and sharing in, the spiritual life and faith of the Christian people--the Church. Essential to the historic identity of Christianity is that Jesus founded a community of people who believe a certain way and act a certain way. Jesus asked His disciples, "Who do you say that I am?" The answer to that question being of utmost importance; and Jesus also taught us and told us that, as His followers, we are to conduct ourselves in a certain way in relation to others. So being a Christian means sharing in the faith of Christ's Church and sharing in the spiritual life of Christ's Church.

It's not just what we believe, but it's how we live. And it's about how those things intersect on a daily basis. Thus, in believing and in doing we follow Jesus, both as individual followers of Jesus and as a community of Jesus-followers.

Thus theological debate--the hard questions that require us to sometimes make a stand on what we believe (such as what the Nicene Creed is about)--is not just meaningless argument about whose version of God can beat up the other version of God. Rather, it becomes centrally important to answering questions about what it means to believe in and follow Jesus in our day-to-day.

So while it may seem that debates on, for example, whether Jesus was just a mortal human being and nothing more, or whether He was in some way divine, or even that He is fully, totally, and completely God are actually meaningful in how we live. For example: when the Nicene Creed says that Jesus Christ, as very true and real God, became human, and that He suffered and died on a cross for us we are saying something deeply important about what "God" means. God, for us, is not a distant sky-ghost who looks down from above; rather God gets dirty, God comes right here in our muck, our mess, and experiences the worst of what we can do--killing Him--and His constant word to us even in the worst ugliness humanity can do, is to say to us, "I love you". So when we hear the commandment "Love your neighbor as yourself" it is not as though God is telling us to do something arbitrarily, as though God Himself doesn't do it--He does do it, He is the One who loves His neighbors, even when His neighbors hang Him on a cross and hurl insults at Him.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums