Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One of my favorite music video's.

U2 - Beautiful Day (Live 8 2005)
U2 performing at Live 8 in London's Hyde Park on the 2nd July, 2005. Organised by Sir Bob Geldof and The Band Aid Trust to raise money to fight poverty around the world, the event was viewed by around 2 billion people.

Reactions: Tone

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Black metal, although I don't dare post much of that here.. lol. I love that really grating raw sound. Wish something darker was invented.. but it seems like the early-mid 90s was the peak of metal.

Other than that.. I mean.. I like pretty much and genre of music.. I can even appreciate country. Although my musical diet is mostly metal.

Given my avy, I've been into the Beatles these last several months. Depeche Mode is good too, probably the only group I listen to that I actually care about the lyrics. Usually I'm more just a sound guy. Given the kind of metal music I listen too, it's almost impossible to understand what they're saying most of the time anyways.. fine by me.. lol.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
My favorite musician is the great...Van Morrison...a true mystic...with a sick muse!

I also like all kinds of other stuff. If you look at the music threads here, you'll see that I've shared my weight...and probably enough for somebody else too.

I am into words and rhythm, and sometimes I'll pick a song just because I like the artwork on it. And funnily enough, it turns out, i end up liking all of it.

I'm pretty easy to please though...so.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My taste in music tends towards the extremes of Alternative Rock on one end and ancient Christian chant on the other. I like a lot of the bands mentioned here, but will add two notable bands from my early days of childhood just getting into Rock in the 1970s.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
For pop music, I am a child of the 1960s-1980s, since that's what my parents listened to when I was a kid, so that's what I grew up with. I remember them playing stuff like Rufus & Chaka Khan (and some of Chaka Khan's later solo stuff; my mom loved her), The Police, Cream, Jackson Browne, Norton Buffalo, James Taylor, etc. I still like a lot of that stuff, even though I very rarely listen to much of it since it's already burned into my brain, so why would I need to.

I usually listen to what often gets called 'World Music', though I think that term is kind of dumb because it's usually used as a blanket term for every type of music so long as it's not in English, even if it's just the pop or classical or rock or whatever from another country (so shouldn't it be in the pop, classical, or rock sections of the music store/Spotify/whatever?).

Anyway, here's the Mongolian alternative rock band The Lemons making what sounds to me like weird Christmas music (that chorus is an ear worm, though):

And here's Mahmoud Ahmed, an Ethiopian singing legend since the 1960s (and more recently a convert to Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity from Islam! :clap:), singing a patriotic song for the Ethiopian soldiers, from the looks of things sometime during one of the recent border skirmishes with Eritrea. I've seen a lot of things being used as a prop while playing 'air guitar', but I think this video is the first time I've seen a gun being used that way. :eek:

And finally, here's some modern Western Syriac dance music by Fuad Ispir, who was born in 1942 in Qamishli, Syria to parents from Ka'biye, Turkey -- one of the Syriac/Assyrian villages that was depopulated as a result of the Assyrian genocide in 1915.

That about runs the gamut for me. Asian, African, Middle Eastern, wherever...I don't care so long as it's got a good beat and/or melody, and if the lyrics are stupid I don't have to know about it. :D

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do find that I'd fit more into the grove of generation X than the millennial generation I grew up in. The 1990s had such good taste in music. Even from rap I generally do not like.. things were more edgy.. sadly I grew up with whatever 2000s music was supposed to be.. lol.

I'd hate to be older than I already am.. but from my vantage point.. it would have been cool to be a teenager in the early to mid 90s.. instead I was some stupid baby and toddler.. lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is me...grungie...and grimey...

And I always wanted to be a flower child...

Lol, I guess maybe it's a thing for the generation to revere the previous generation?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I love everything from Christian rock to the oldies.

Oldies were my first intro. Into music...in Junior high, it was all oldies.

What about Christian oldies?:

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I do find that I'd fit more into the grove of generation X than the millennial generation I grew up in. The 1990s had such good taste in music. Even from rap I generally do not like.. things were more edgy.. sadly I grew up with whatever 2000s music was supposed to be.. lol.

I'd hate to be older than I already am.. but from my vantage point.. it would have been cool to be a teenager in the early to mid 90s.. instead I was some stupid baby and toddler.. lol.

I was a teenager at that time and I can confirm it was definitely not cooler than whatever other time. I think it's like you said subsequently: every generation looks at the previous generation and thinks it's cooler because what they're generally presented with is the best/most memorable stuff, whereas the stuff from their own generation has not yet proven whether or not it will stand the test of time. That's why all the nerds who love disco or whatever now (Bruno Mars, Daft Punk, and other artists who have taken their stabs at making retro-disco) aren't thinking of garbage like "Disco Duck", but whatever the best stuff in that genre was.

Same with the alternative music you seem to like. Filter, okay...but do you remember trash like "I Got A Girl" by Tripping Daisy?

No? It made it to #6 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart in 1995, the same year as that Filter song was released (which made it to #10 on Billboard's Alternative Airplay chart...I don't remember having all these different charts for alternative rock, but Wikipedia says that was how it was). And there were tons more of these that made the charts to some degree somewhere and were just lame, forgettable, embarrassing, etc. I mean, I could go the rest of my life without hearing "Breakfast at Tiffany's" by Deep Blue Something...and at least I vaguely remember that one! (I remember it for being really stupid and bad, but that's more than most bands can even manage.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hey, that's an awesome song dewd!

* I like breakfast at Tiffany too...

Hahaha. No offense is intended towards anyone who likes either song, of course...any song I would've chosen to make that point with would've had its defenders, and music is entirely subjective. :)

How about "Mighty K.C." by For Squirrels? I don't have any memory of this band or song, but Google claims this song reached #15 on Billboard's Alternative Rock Tracks chart, which is pretty impressive when you consider how they seemingly picked their singer up at the end of a drunken night of karaoke and immediately forced him into the studio to record his vocals for this track before he sobered up or remembered what key the song is actually in.

And I saw Belly live once. Nobody knew any of their songs except for that "Feed the tree" one from the radio, so nobody clapped for anything and they were super boring, probably cos they were getting nothing from the crowd. But I didn't know any of their other songs, either. Haha.

That XTC song is pretty neat. Not one of my favorites of theirs, but they always managed to be musically interesting. I think my favorite XTC song is "Mayor of Simpleton", though it's from the 1980s:

The harmonies are great!

Upvote 0