Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I see no scripturtural support for denominationalism and the plethora of "faiths" they represent. By all accounts, some 33,000 different denominations exist in the world today - some teaching this, others teaching that; the stats are disturbing and saddening. One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism... One Savior and One Body, One Church. If Paul in I Corinthians 1 teaches us anything, it's that there's zero justification for disunity - particularly disunity on the basis of thinking we are "of" this teacher/teaching or "of" that teacher/teaching.

Upvote 0

ezra932

Jan 27, 2018
DONIPHAN
✟15,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the service like for a non-dem church? I've never heard of one until CF, is there a particular structure?
you have church no denominational creeds just sing songs about the Lord take up offering hear preaching take nap go home...no nap preaching is from the Bible. i am ordained general baptist but attend non denom.. good people there .it could use some more fire but so does every church

• Informative
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@salt-n-light For me, I don't specifically see in the New Testament any organizational framework that lies between a local, independent church and Christ as head over all things to the church (Ephesians 1).

In his exhortation to the Ephesian elders, Paul in Acts 20 portrays local preachers and teachers responsible directly to the Lord for what is taught and done in the local church.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I belong to a Church not made with human hands - the Church which is the Body of Christ. There are truly saved people from many denominations in the Church which is the Body of Christ. Being saved is what's important - not what denominational name you call yourself. All of the members of the Church which is the Body of Christ are saved.

I call myself a Christian, but I'm also non-denominational. I don't like systems where large churches or groups of churches tell you what to believe. The name over the door of the church is not what's important. What is important is a local assembly of believers having fellowship together in Christ. The Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit of God are the leaders of this Church. Being big or fancy isn't important. What we have most in common is the Lord Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

Upvote 0

Doulos 7

Jul 10, 2018
Oklahoma
✟11,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The term denomination refers to denominating which means to divide from! Remember Paul told us, "let there be no divisions among you." Therefore being a division from either the real deal or from another division is not right in God's eyes! So when we say that we are non-denominational we are referring to the fact that we did not divide from any other church, we are the church that Jesus built! Many of the denominations know that this is the truth so over the years they have slowly hi-jacked the term and made it their own, when in reality we can trace their origin back to a division! So for a denominational group to say that they are the church that Jesus built is a completed lie! But, since this hi-jacking has occurred I like to refer to myself as pre-denominational, it still refers to the same meaning but emphasizes the point better than the other term! Remember they are not a true non-denominational church if they had a founder other than the Lord! Hope this was helpful!
But if we want to be biblical (which is what I most prefer), I am a Christian and/or disciple!

• Winner
Reactions: FanthatSpark
Upvote 0

Stringfellow_Hawke

Jul 4, 2018
West Virginia
✟37,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For me, coming from a pentecostal background, I saw the underlying legalistic tone with a hint of unbiblical practices. I've heard arguments that denominations are there as a way to focus on a particular mission for the church, or to highlight an important aspect of the bible, but the division from that is a little unsettling. So I guess I'm just an unclassified believer?

Have any of you had a previous denomination you've identified with, and how did you come to being a non-denom?

While I was raised independent Baptist (KJV only) and still hold to a lot of the points of view (eternal security, support for Israel, , I became disenchanted for the same reason you did with your background. Independent Baptists don't look at anyone but their own as being right with God and I know this isn't true. They tend to major in minors so to speak and make them gospel issues. Most non-denoms I have been around focus on what is really important and just let the others fall into place. In other words, if you are involved in something that really is a sin (alcohol abuse, adultery, etc.) they will confront you on that.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me, coming from a pentecostal background, I saw the underlying legalistic tone with a hint of unbiblical practices. I've heard arguments that denominations are there as a way to focus on a particular mission for the church, or to highlight an important aspect of the bible, but the division from that is a little unsettling. So I guess I'm just an unclassified believer?

Have any of you had a previous denomination you've identified with, and how did you come to being a non-denom?
the corruption and sin and half truths (aka lies)of the gospel .The hypocrisy and greed for control and money .The failure of leadership to serve the congregations in equipping them (they mostly only equip people to serve the building )

sn the saying goes after the book of acts Christianity moved to rome and became an institution ,it moved to eurpoe and became a state religions ,it moved to the west and became a business .. and when you take a woman (the bride /church) and make her a "business" you have turned her into a prostitute .

these are just the tip of the iceberg why i dont have anything to do the the churched traditions - and i too was raised Pentecostal and have seen this over 40 years in so many denominations . i even see it in so called non denominational groups who come out of it then perpetuate the same false hoods . so sad

Upvote 0