Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
For me, coming from a pentecostal background, I saw the underlying legalistic tone with a hint of unbiblical practices. I've heard arguments that denominations are there as a way to focus on a particular mission for the church, or to highlight an important aspect of the bible, but the division from that is a little unsettling. So I guess I'm just an unclassified believer?

Have any of you had a previous denomination you've identified with, and how did you come to being a non-denom?

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
For me, coming from a pentecostal background, I saw the underlying legalistic tone with a hint of unbiblical practices. I've heard arguments that denominations are there as a way to focus on a particular mission for the church, or to highlight an important aspect of the bible, but the division from that is a little unsettling. So I guess I'm just an unclassified believer?

Have any of you had a previous denomination you've identified with, and how did you come to being a non-denom?

I didn't much care what "denomination" a church is. I happened to go to a non-denominational church and it clicked with me. There was no discussion of "denominations" and nothing more than preaching based on God's Word, worship, and focusing on the living God.

Works for me.

:)

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I didn't much care what "denomination" a church is. I happened to go to a non-denominational church and it clicked with me. There was no discussion of "denominations" and nothing more than preaching based on God's Word, worship, and focusing on the living God.

Works for me.

:)

What is the service like for a non-dem church? I've never heard of one until CF, is there a particular structure?

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Instead of saying non-denom, why not just Christian or child of the living God. Denominations are a separation in the body of Christ. We should be of one mind and one body. People take things from outside the word then try and fit it into the bible, costly mistake.

3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Instead of saying non-denom, why not just Christian or child of the living God. Denominations are a separation in the body of Christ. We should be of one mind and one body. People take things from outside the word then try and fit it into the bible, costly mistake.

3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Ok what lead you to say that you're just a christian, because odds are if you've been to a church, most likely its one that had a denomination.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What is the service like for a non-dem church? I've never heard of one until CF, is there a particular structure?

At least from the churches i attended, there was worship and praise music, prayer, and then the speaker/pastor would preach. There was a literal Prayer Wall on a Church, where people would post pictures or prayer requests of/for their loved ones so everyone could pray for whatever the needs were.

The bottom line for me, was, and has been, the living God being the focus with nothing superseding Him or our focus on Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ok what lead you to say that you're just a christian, because odds are if you've been to a church, most likely its one that had a denomination.

I have always felt that way. I have been to Evangelical, and non-denom churches in the past but wanted to be just like Christ, no titles. I adhere to the word. I eat the flesh and drink the blood daily so everything that comes my way is then judged by scripture. Even when I was a young believer I felt denominations were wrong. And that was many moons ago.:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

My family is associated with CoB but they don't even provide bibles in the sanctuary
so I never joined the church and give them little credit for me being born, again.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟66,922.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not go to churches. I had gone to a Pentecostal congregation from ages 8 to 16 yrs old. And I became angry with God for unanswered prayer...which really boiled down to the lies I had been taught of what faith was...to muster up enough belief in your mind God would do it. Oh, and don't forget the magic words at the end "In Jesus name." I never stopped believing their was a God and often cried out to Him, but never darkened the door of 'church' again.
Fast forward 28 years and I was vacuuming my floor when the Lord overcame me and I dropped to my knees crying out. I was like Rip Van Winkle when it came to Christendom and thought I needed to find a church. God would tell me "NO!" and He took me on a journey and showed me many things to prevent me from getting tied up in 'church'. (Without going into the whole thing, suffice to say He took me to a place, literally, and showed me dead trees (on the left side of a path) choked out by vines and further down the path He led me to, other trees (on the right side) that looked dead but after going down an embankment to lower ground from the path these trees had a few branches here and there that had leaves beginning to sprout. He made it clear, the trees on the left was 'church'...

On the same day Father showed me the trees, He also took me to a place where I sat down beside a river. Not a breath of wind was blowing. And I was just sitting there on some wooden steps that went down the river bank to the waters edge. I had no idea what to expect, just the calm air and the river, asking God, "Why did you bring me here?" Then suddenly, like out of nowhere the wind began to blow so strong, my coat was flapping, my hair was blowing in my face and all over the place. The trees were bending and the leaves rustling...and HE said "this is how I long to move." And since this day's journey was me seeking to find a 'church', He said, "You won't find it there."

(I had no idea what that all truly meant then, but over time He made it known. That was nearly 13 years ago.)

I did go to my Bible and dig in... And I found a 'Young's Analytical Concordance" with Hebrew and Greek Lexicons and began to read and study outside the four walls of church...and what an amazing journey it has been with HIM.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Denominations breed separation. Yet the bible states we are all one. Jesus prayed that we might be one. coincidentally "non-denom" is also a grouping and a title to separate me from yous.

Come out from among them and be ye separate. Does this mean come out from the world? Most likely it means to come out from whatever i thought I was in before believing I am in the right place now. :-/

I've thought about identifying myself as non-denom.....but decided to become nobody instead. May i continue to decrease that He might increase. No more I but Christ.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The only reason I have non denom listed here at the forum is I had to select something when signing up here and it was closest to what I am. Probably if I looked closer I could have written something in but I didn't do that.
I came out of Catholicism though, which in the 70's was a train wreck looking for a place to happen around these parts. I won't start in on them and spoil the thread for everyone else, it is not a pretty history though...

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think of myself as simply a Christian above all else, second I am a Protestant because my belief system aligns with Catholicism post Reformation, so in a sense Protestantism is Reformed Catholicism and a person only needs to learn more about the early Reformers and read from them to see this is the case. In other words, the Reformation did not entail a complete and total break from the Catholic Church, rather a purging of errors, a getting back to the Bible. Third I am a Calvinist and use it more to help others know where I am coming from, of course this has it's advantages and disadvantages. Many times I have thought about simply identifying myself as just a Christian, to decrease people's preconceived notions concerning Calvinists. Fourth I am a Presbyterian, a specific type of Calvinism I hold to, although I thought of myself as simply a Calvinist for quite some time while dealing with differences among Calvinists, which historically would include several denominations. At my core though, I am simply a conservative Christian, conservative as opposed to liberal, separating myself from liberal theology and it's proponents. I can sympthasize with Christians who are non-denom though, I understand there are many reasons behind identifying as non-denom, and I appreciate the emphasis of many within non-denom, the get back to the Bible, Christ centered, God centered approach. However, to me, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. I do look forward to the gathering of all of God's elect in Christ, in Heaven where there will be no denominational boundaries to separate us. What a great and glorious day it will be!

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
CF turned me into non denominational. All the division was a shock to my faith, so i decided to be non denominational.

As much as I love CF, in all the years I've been around here, I've never found it to be a great place for fellowship with like minded believers. Sure, I've had a few conversations, got to know (maybe) a few people a little better, but so far as deep meaningful lasting fellowship/friendship is concerned, not so much. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that where two or more people are, disagreement is not far behind. The more people, the more disagreement. The solution I've come to, is learning to appreciate a certain amount of disagreement, and trying to understand where others are coming from. For example, I disagree with Baptists on baptism, but I love reading and listening to Calvinistic Baptists on most any other subject, even when they discuss baptism, I can tolerate it (for the most part) because I once held the same view.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As much as I love CF, in all the years I've been around here, I've never found it to be a great place for fellowship with like minded believers. Sure, I've had a few conversations, got to know (maybe) a few people a little better, but so far as deep meaningful lasting fellowship/friendship is concerned, not so much. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that where two or more people are, disagreement is not far behind. The more people, the more disagreement. The solution I've come to, is learning to appreciate a certain amount of disagreement, and trying to understand where others are coming from. For example, I disagree with Baptists on baptism, but I love reading and listening to Calvinistic Baptists on most any other subject, even when they discuss baptism, I can tolerate it (for the most part) because I once held the same view.
Thanks for the reply.

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The only reason I have non denom listed here at the forum is I had to select something when signing up here and it was closest to what I am. Probably if I looked closer I could have written something in but I didn't do that.
I came out of Catholicism though, which in the 70's was a train wreck looking for a place to happen around these parts. I won't start in on them and spoil the thread for everyone else, it is not a pretty history though...

Same here, I pick non-denom for CF, since people on CF go bonkers if I leave it vague, but really, I'm just a christian.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0