What issues are we called to take a stand on?

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That was after they wrote laws specifically requiring those sacrifices to specific gods (specifically, the Caesars who had been deified), which had not been an explicit legal requirement in prior times.

Pliny clearly recognized those sacrifices as being mere "square fillers" to satisfy the letter of the law.

Any such law was a reactionary attempt to compel dissident voices within the Empire to do something for the greater whole. Pliny might not have thought much about the sacrifices to the gods, yet there was enough of the Pagan religious spirit in the populous and mode of thinking that made the Emperors and even the intellectual classes believe that the gods being denied such sacrifices and proper worship would endanger the state.

Even as late as Augustine the Pagans were still complaining about the Christians and their lack of loyalty to the gods as being the primary cause as to why Rome had fallen to barbarians.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually I have an interest in the drug problem. I emailed my Senator with some suggestions about it. I received a 'form letter' email acknowledging my communication that also indicated that I would receive an answer to my specific topic later. I'm guessing that it be in another 'form letter' explaining what is being done about the drug problem, with no discussion about my suggestions. In other words while I will receive a response from my Senator it will likely be evident that she doesn't have the time or interest in considering my input. I hope I'm wrong about this. News at eleven.

It's eleven ... and I got another meaningless form letter. :mad:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Many Christians would agree that we are called to have a direct impact in , at minimum, our local social sphere: but to what extent?

Acting locally is usually not very productive. Recall that a prophet is not without honor, except among family and friends.

That said the best thing one can do for their community is to keep their own house in order.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fixn_junk

Jan 24, 2022
Somewhere
✟903.00
Country
Tajikistan
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Aren't we called to "come out" of the world so that we are not affected by these problems?
No. Jesus prayed to the Father that his disciples would be in the world but not of the world. Sin affects all. There are only two groups of people. Sinners and sinners saved by Grace. We are affected by these problems until we are glorified.

Upvote 0

fixn_junk

Jan 24, 2022
Somewhere
✟903.00
Country
Tajikistan
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Many Christians would agree that we are called to have a direct impact in , at minimum, our local social sphere: but to what extent? My second question is: on what issues?

abortion
ecology
taxes
political corruption
police brutality
public spending
neocolonialism
human rights abuses
social welfare
religious freedom
child trafficking
drug laws
trade unions
market regulation
gun control
censorship
sanctions
immigration
free speech
gay marriage
genetic engineering
technology regulation
privacy

Which issues get you out of bed on the weekend to make a little mayhem? A petition here, a little nonviolent picketing there. Which issues do you let slide? Why?
There is only one issue, sin. We are confronted with different scenarios all day every day. If the scenario involves sin, we should deal with it. Now, there is a difference on how we deal with the sin whether it is in the life of a believer or unbeliever, but we must deal with it. We are never allowed to let sin slide in the scriptures.

Upvote 0