Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How do you know what is work and what is rest without going outside of the ten commandments?

For example, isn't cooking work? Yet how many of you cook on the Sabbath? Even though Exodus 35:3 specifically forbids the lighting of a fire on the Sabbath!

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Victorville, California, CorpUSA
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How do you know what is work and what is rest without going outside of the ten commandments?

Personally I view work as anything one is getting paid for. Of course, there are cerrtain qualifications I think we could certainly examine. A policeman or fireman working on the sabbath, a doctor, etc., are providing vital and necessary work. I see that God clearly is in favor of that.

For example, isn't cooking work?

Depends. Is the person being paid? What about a canteen worker in a hospital or a prison? Should these people go hungry or is this necessary and vital work?

Yet how many of you cook on the Sabbath?

I have. I've even driven on the sabbath. Turned on a light switch. etc. God certainly expects us to eat and eat well (if possible) on the sabbath.

Even though Exodus 35:3 specifically forbids the lighting of a fire on the Sabbath!

Different time in a different place. Kindling a fire has more to do symbolically with bringing in a false or phony "spirit" into the camp much like Dathan and Abiram did in offering "strange fire" to God. We are expected to and even allowed to eat a warm meal on the sabbath.

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Meaning Righteous Proselyte to Judaism
Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally I view work as anything one is getting paid for.
Are you serious? So you would mow the lawn or clean out the garage or work on the bathroom plumbing and consider yourself "keeping sabbath"??????
Different time in a different place. Kindling a fire has more to do symbolically with bringing in a false or phony "spirit" into the camp much like Dathan and Abiram did in offering "strange fire" to God. We are expected to and even allowed to eat a warm meal on the sabbath.
We can spend time wondering why G-d prohibited kindling a fire. For me, it has to do with it being the ultimate creative act, and on sabbath we remember that we are creation and He is creator. However, in the end, we do not obey G-d because we understand his laws. We obey G-d simply because he is G-d and he has asked this of us. He does not change, and his laws do not change.

I eat a warm meal on the Sabbath because I prepare it in advance, light the fire before sabbath starts, and keep the meal warm during sabbath. This can be done by using a good old fashioned shabbat stove / blech or by using a crockpot. There is also nothing wrong with a sandwich. I do not break G-d's law for my own convenience.

(1) I do not personally think that non-Jews have to keep the Sabbath, but I am not here to argue that point. I'm here to try to understand how it is that keeping Sabbath can be such an important issue to you all while at the same time you establish no order to it. You do not appear (at least to me) to have any rhyme or reason to determine consistantly what is work and what is not work. One of you says one thing. Another of you says another thing. It is chaotic.

(2) It just seems to me that if you are going to keep Sabbath, that you should keep it all the way, and I do NOT see that happening. WHY? I see a kind of half hearted "I'll keep sabbath so long as its reasonably easy for me" kind of thing. It seems like you just want a day off to do as you wish, rather than a day of holiness. I guess what I'm saying is that if you are going to be somewhat wishy washy, why not just say, "this is my day off," instead of making the pretense that it is the sabbath day for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Are you serious?

Yes, work is something one gets paid for.

So you would mow the lawn or clean out the garage or work on the bathroom plumbing and consider yourself "keeping sabbath"??????
You asked about "work." You didn't ask about doing unnecessary personal business. I helped someone move once because that was the only time they could move. I viewed it as pulling a sheep out of a ditch.

We can spend time wondering why G-d prohibited kindling a fire. For me, it has to do with it being the ultimate creative act, and on sabbath we remember that we are creation and He is creator. However, in the end, we do not obey G-d because we understand his laws. We obey G-d simply because he is G-d and he has asked this of us. He does not change, and his laws do not change.
Well, I happen to disagree. We should obey God because we love Him and love what He did for us, not out of obligation or "because He said so."

I eat a warm meal on the Sabbath because I prepare it in advance, light the fire before sabbath starts, and keep the meal warm during sabbath.
Good for you. For some the sabbath is more about ritual than about God.

This can be done by using a good old fashioned shabbat stove / blech or by using a crockpot. There is also nothing wrong with a sandwich. I do not break G-d's law for my own convenience.
Good for you. For some the sabbath is more about ritual than about God.

(1) I do not personally think that non-Jews have to keep the Sabbath, but I am not here to argue that point. I'm here to try to understand how it is that keeping Sabbath can be such an important issue to you all while at the same time you establish no order to it. You do not appear (at least to me) to have any rhyme or reason to determine consistantly what is work and what is not work. One of you says one thing. Another of you says another thing. It is chaotic.
The day isn't about ritual, it's about a relationship. If we keep it as a ritual, as something that has to be done to appease God then we have completely missed the point of the sabbath. It's an attitude that can hang the Son of God on the cross one minute and be home in time for passover supper at sundown.

Isa 58:13 ¶ If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, [from] doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking [thine own] words:

(2) It just seems to me that if you are going to keep Sabbath, that you should keep it all the way, and I do NOT see that happening. WHY? I see a kind of half hearted "I'll keep sabbath so long as its reasonably easy for me" kind of thing. It seems like you just want a day off to do as you wish, rather than a day of holiness. I guess what I'm saying is that if you are going to be somewhat wishy washy, why not just say, "this is my day off," instead of making the pretense that it is the sabbath day for you.
Well, that would certainly be a "legalistic" way of looking at sabbath observance. If we don't keep it like you do then we must be doing something wrong. Your "holiness" is probably quite a bit different than mine. I minister in two prisons on the sabbath, one on Friday night, the other on Saturday.

Of course, you're quite out of line to call what someone else does on the sabbath names such as "wishy washy" just because their observance may be quite different than yours. There is no pretense here. The sabbath is a day for doing good works that honor God and spread His word, not useless, vain, and legalistic rituals. Sounds to me like you leep the sabbath for all the wrong reasons.

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Meaning Righteous Proselyte to Judaism
Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fancy words, saying its all about G-d, but it comes out looking like its more about YOU. If you loved G-d, you would obey Him.

I found it startling that you quoted Mat 23:23
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
You see, Jesus told the Pharisees to continue observing the fine points of the spice tax which were oral law IN ADDITION to getting the basics down. So you can't use this verse as an escape from details--this verse is the one that seals you to the details.

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Fancy words, saying its all about G-d, but it comes out looking like its more about YOU. If you loved G-d, you would obey Him.

Who are you to question whether I do or don't?

I found it startling that you quoted Mat 23:23
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
You see, Jesus told the Pharisees to continue observing the fine points of the spice tax which were oral law

I think you've badly misunderstood what couldn't be more plain. Jesus chided them for paying tithes of useless herbs, making a pretense of holiness, and omitting the weightier matters of the law. He was saying to tithe, but not useless herbs, but give out of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith.

Also, you can see where Jesus never put any faith in the Talmud. None in fact.

Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, [as] the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
IN ADDITION to getting the basics down. So you can't use this verse as an escape from details--this verse is the one that seals you to the details.

Not at all. It just points out that you have a very "legalistic" "do as I say, or you're not doing right" attitude. Jesus warned heavily about people like this.

Upvote 0

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The word is actually, cease. God wants us to cease from secular labor on the Sabbath in honor of the Sabbath. It would be like ceasing from labor on Veteran's day in honor of the Veterans. God ceased from His labors but He needs no physical rest. I could be retired, in which I would have every day off but I should still cease secular labor on the Sabbath in honor of the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
GeratTzedek, have you accepted Jesus Christ, Yasua Ha Mashiach as your personal Lord and Savior? Do you recognize the promised Messiah as the seed of Abrham, the Son of David and the Lord of Lords and King of Kings?

If not, now's a great time to start....He's coming again very soon.

Upvote 0