What is the Scriptural Basis for Cessationism?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
What I find in these accidentally apologetic threads, which are against the rules, is that they are unplanned and sporadic. Sporadic use of scripture quotations. But this can be mended, by taking all the scripture quotes, and putting them up front in a new thread Original Post. Discussion can then hold all the scriptures in mind at once, none of this contradiction and ignoring verses we see here. Also using a range of translations from literal to paraphrase. And making reference to old and new traditions.

Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is this all you can come up with? Carefully examine the exegesis I did in previous posts (as limited as it may be), if you dare. Answer with clear and careful exegesis of your own, if you can, and not with snide remarks and subjective opinion. I might wager there are few in this forum who would deny that I made an honest effort to correctly use scripture to show the P/C claims false. So why can't you do that?
TD:)

I simply don't have to Paul teaches quite clearly how a church service is to be conducted in 1.Corinthians. 12.

You say all this is now changed but you have no scriptural authority for saying that.

Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe in the Full Gospel, its the one paul was given just not same as what you see it as being!

Then let us seek for something better. YOU KNOW that the Pentecostal movement have produced men and women who have finished the course without reproach who have served the Lord in the mighty work of the Holy Spirit.

Even many of those you diss started out their ministries in mighty works....where they have now fallen short is a matter of careful thought.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't get it. In my mind, the most spiritual are those who pay closest attention to what God's word says. Am I missing it?
TD:scratch:

My fault brother.

When I said...……….
"I think that you would agree that the most spiritual among us tends to be fairly dense without an appeal to Scripture."

I was being sarcastic. A lot of Christians ACT and SAY lots of spiritual things but when the rubber meats the road of truth, they do not have a basis of truth as found in the Scriptures.

In other words...…..they talk about their experiences and what they think and have seen but when it comes to validation with the Word of God, there is none.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then let us seek for something better. YOU KNOW that the Pentecostal movement have produced men and women who have finished the course without reproach who have served the Lord in the mighty work of the Holy Spirit.

Even many of those you diss started out their ministries in mighty works....where they have now fallen short is a matter of careful thought.

You said...…….
"where they have now fallen short is a matter of careful thought. "

NOPE. It was SIN.

My dear brother, there is nothing better than the FULL GOSPEL.

I also have the full Gospel. I know by faith in God's Word that Jesus is the Christ, that He lived without sin, died for me and was buried and rose again on the 3rd day.
I was baptized with the Holy Ghost the very second I believed in Christ and I am now a child of God.

I am not a babe in Christ that needs to FEEL excited or needs to SEE something that I think is a miracle. Nothing I could SEE or FEEL will increase my faith one bit.

The only miracle that means anything, is that Jesus Christ saved a black hearted sinner such as I was.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What I find in these accidentally apologetic threads, which are against the rules, is that they are unplanned and sporadic. Sporadic use of scripture quotations. But this can be mended, by taking all the scripture quotes, and putting them up front in a new thread Original Post. Discussion can then hold all the scriptures in mind at once, none of this contradiction and ignoring verses we see here. Also using a range of translations from literal to paraphrase. And making reference to old and new traditions.

Good idea. Let me know when you start that and I will be happy to join you.

Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You said...…….

NOPE. It was SIN.

I also have the full Gospel. I know by faith in God's Word that Jesus is the Christ, that He lived without sin, died for me and was buried and rose again on the 3rd day.
I was baptized with the Holy Ghost the very second I believed in Christ and I am now a child of God.

I am not a babe in Christ that needs to FEEL excited or needs to SEE something that I think is a miracle. Nothing I could SEE or FEEL will increase my faith one bit.

The only miracle that means anything, is that Jesus Christ saved a black hearted sinner such as I was.

The fact that you equate the baptism with the Holy Spirit to mere fleshly feelings rather suggests to me you have not been.

The joy of the Lord is not fleshly joy.

Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yep, that right...……...ignore the Scriptures and believe what YOU want to believe.

When the churches had grown and multiplied Peter went to Lydda, and then Joppa, famously healing Æneas and raising Dorcas from the dead. Entire communities were astonished, because none of the other believers in such places could do these things.

When a lad fell out of a window in Troas, there was only one person present who could raise him up, and that was Paul. The charismatic idea that healings were performed by numerous Christians is simply not to be found in the New Testament. Only the apostles are recorded as having healed, together with two apostolic assistants or delegates, Stephen and Philip, and possibly Barnabas.

The Pentecostal/charismatic idea that healings took place constantly by Christians at large is not taught in the Bible. Thus the infallible record of Scripture shows the entire charismatic approach to healing to be a mistake based on a myth. The record proves that the healings and mighty deeds were restricted to a class of people who have passed away.

Do the study Billy! HOMEWORK to show thyself approved, a workman for God.

Acts 6:8-9...…………
And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and signs among the people.”

Stephen was specifically chosen by the apostles, again this proves the point of what is called an apostolic legate, a chosen representative of the apostles. If we go back a few verses we can understand what took place and see that Stephen and Philip also did a miracle are a specific group chosen out of the church to be evangelists especially to the Jews.

Acts 8:5-7:...……
Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria and preached Christ to them. And the multitudes with one accord heeded the things spoken by Philip, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. For unclean spirits, crying with a loud voice, came out of many who were possessed; and many who were paralyzed and lame were healed.”

And you are being dishonest.....Ireneus witnessed miracles and healing and resurrection in his day.

You also know about Smith Wigglesworth...how can you hope to establish truth by being dishonest?

And you do bend scripture, Stephen and Phillip were chosen to be deacons to the Hellenists, and Philli[p preached to the Samaritans and the apostles found out after.

And the promise is not made to apostles only but "these signs shall follow those who believe"

"your daughters, your sons, your old men, as many as the Lord our God shall call"

I would also remind you that there were folks in the gospels who drove out demons who did not even follow the Lord.

Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe in the Full Gospel, its the one paul was given just not same as what you see it as being!

So in your opinion when Paul set up assemblies which had in them healers, workers of miracles, prophets etc this was not in accord with the gospel he preached.

Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God can still heal and do miracles, but none gifted by him to do that, and there are RARE, not the norm!

Can you name one of these rare ones? would you include Corrie ten Boom?

She did not think she was rare...only obedient.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I simply don't have to Paul teaches quite clearly how a church service is to be conducted in 1.Corinthians. 12.

You say all this is now changed but you have no scriptural authority for saying that.
Here again, you come to a false conclusion about what I wrote. You claim that I say all of 1 Cor. 12 is changed, but I never said that. Whatever gifts that people are given by God, and what they operate in, is to be conducted as Paul wrote in 1 Cor. Of that I am in full agreement.

What I am in disagreement about is the P/C (modern Pentecostal/Charismatic) movement's claims about some of the things they commonly practice being gifts of the Holy Spirit listed in 1 Cor. 12. You have the burden of proof to show that they are. I proved they aren't. But all you have so far is to state false conclusions about what I wrote, just as you do the scriptures, as is typical of the P/C movement.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My fault brother.

When I said...……….
"I think that you would agree that the most spiritual among us tends to be fairly dense without an appeal to Scripture."

I was being sarcastic. A lot of Christians ACT and SAY lots of spiritual things but when the rubber meats the road of truth, they do not have a basis of truth as found in the Scriptures.

In other words...…..they talk about their experiences and what they think and have seen but when it comes to validation with the Word of God, there is none.
I get it. I thought that statement was facetious, I just wanted to make sure and not assume anything.
TD::idea:

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here again, you come to a false conclusion about what I wrote. You claim that I say all of 1 Cor. 12 is changed, but I never said that. Whatever gifts that people are given by God, and what they operate in, is to be conducted as Paul wrote in 1 Cor. Of that I am in full agreement.

What I am in disagreement about is the P/C (modern Pentecostal/Charismatic) movement's claims about some of the things they commonly practice being gifts of the Holy Spirit listed in 1 Cor. 12. You have the burden of proof to show that they are. I proved they aren't. But all you have so far is to state false conclusions about what I wrote, just as you do the scriptures, as is typical of the P/C movement.

Why are you more concerned about what others are doing and claiming than proving those truths for yourself in your own life?

Moreover I say that there is a superabundant manifestation of those same supernatural miracles throughout the world today, you don't want to celebrate those things you just want to discredit those others...that which is genuine is what exposes that which is fake.

That is the way of Paul.

Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You said...…….

NOPE. It was SIN.

It is easier to point to other people's failure than look at our own. Who gets hurt the most do you think? those who are in the rear or those who are in the front line of the battle?

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why are you more concerned about what others are doing and claiming than proving those truths for yourself in your own life?

Moreover I say that there is a superabundant manifestation of those same supernatural miracles throughout the world today, you don't want to celebrate those things you just want to discredit those others...that which is genuine is what exposes that which is fake.

That is the way of Paul.
You say "throughout the world today" - I have invited you to give specific examples. Can you do that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums