What is the Scriptural Basis for Cessationism?

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's what you keep saying over and over again.

You are not going by bible doctrine but by what you personally see and hear.
Is this all you can come up with? Carefully examine the exegesis I did in previous posts (as limited as it may be), if you dare. Answer with clear and careful exegesis of your own, if you can, and not with snide remarks and subjective opinion. I might wager there are few in this forum who would deny that I made an honest effort to correctly use scripture to show the P/C claims false. So why can't you do that?
TD:)

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It isn't limited to theory only or opinion but is rooted in personal experience backed by scripture...I received the baptism before I knew there was any such thing as Pentecostalism.

If you say you believe in the testimony of miraculous healings you must ask at once upon what basis they were healed? were they just lucky? mebbe God was in a good mood that day.

God works according to eternal plan and wisdom.

Why do you pay attention to prolific exaggerations and hype? I don't. I certainly would not either accept or reject bible doctrines on the basis of them.

Why not look at those ministries which have proved genuine, there is no shortage of them.

Why not decide upon what normally happens week in and week out in meetings across America?

I did not say I would not respond to you, merely that I would not share personal testimonies with you. There are a glut of testimonies, you did not believe them so why would I trouble you with mine? my experiences during more than 40 years are precious beyond price.
God can still heal and do miracles, but none gifted by him to do that, and there are RARE, not the norm!

• Agree
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am not in agreement with WoF I do believe in the full gospel...why wouldn't I ? why don't YOU? it is what I believed when I was saved...you also were saved through that testimony
I believe in the Full Gospel, its the one paul was given just not same as what you see it as being!

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Is this all you can come up with? Carefully examine the exegesis I did in previous posts (as limited as it may be), if you dare. Answer with clear and careful exegesis of your own, if you can, and not with snide remarks and subjective opinion. I might wager there are few in this forum who would deny that I made an honest effort to correctly use scripture to show the P/C claims false. So why can't you do that?
the Charismatic Movement though not usually known for doing sound exegesis on the biblical texts!

• Friendly
Reactions: tdidymas
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If you don't get to specifics that can be examined on the basis of scripture, then all you say is nothing but opinion, hype, and exaggeration.
Much of Charismatic chaos is based upon subjective experiences, and so called modern day revelations!

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If the Baptism in the Holy Ghost as they define it as being is valid, why then we have NO command from God to be speaking that second act of Grace, but do have commands to remain filled with/by the Holy Spirit?
And how we assume that God was part of and involved with Charismatic Movement, when so much of its main theology distorts the scriptures, sometimes to the point of heresy?

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If the Baptism in the Holy Ghost as they define it as being is valid, why then we have NO command from God to be speaking that second act of Grace, but do have commands to remain filled with/by the Holy Spirit?
And how we assume that God was part of and involved with Charismatic Movement, when so much of its main theology distorts the scriptures, sometimes to the point of heresy?
Yes, there is a lot wrong with the P/C movement, and I don't think I would go back there even if there were signs and wonders. I wouldn't go so far to say that they aren't saved, though, since they do seem to accept the major doctrines of the NT much like the RCC. In every church since the 1st century there have been both true and false believers. Such are evaluated by their deeds when we see what they do, but in here we evaluate doctrine.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's nonsense, Stephen was not an apostle nor was the Phillip who preached in Samaria, Ireneus speaks about the same things happening across the world in his day.

Yep, that right...……...ignore the Scriptures and believe what YOU want to believe.

When the churches had grown and multiplied Peter went to Lydda, and then Joppa, famously healing Æneas and raising Dorcas from the dead. Entire communities were astonished, because none of the other believers in such places could do these things.

When a lad fell out of a window in Troas, there was only one person present who could raise him up, and that was Paul. The charismatic idea that healings were performed by numerous Christians is simply not to be found in the New Testament. Only the apostles are recorded as having healed, together with two apostolic assistants or delegates, Stephen and Philip, and possibly Barnabas.

The Pentecostal/charismatic idea that healings took place constantly by Christians at large is not taught in the Bible. Thus the infallible record of Scripture shows the entire charismatic approach to healing to be a mistake based on a myth. The record proves that the healings and mighty deeds were restricted to a class of people who have passed away.

Do the study Billy! HOMEWORK to show thyself approved, a workman for God.

Acts 6:8-9...…………
And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and signs among the people.”

Stephen was specifically chosen by the apostles, again this proves the point of what is called an apostolic legate, a chosen representative of the apostles. If we go back a few verses we can understand what took place and see that Stephen and Philip also did a miracle are a specific group chosen out of the church to be evangelists especially to the Jews.

Acts 8:5-7:...……
Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria and preached Christ to them. And the multitudes with one accord heeded the things spoken by Philip, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. For unclean spirits, crying with a loud voice, came out of many who were possessed; and many who were paralyzed and lame were healed.”

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That Hebrews passage drives the stake right thru their teaching on this subject!

Yes it does and it always amazes me that when this is discussed with anyone who wants to do tongues and miracles and words of knowledge, they always seem to conveniently ignore that Scripture.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(Assuming your are still responding to me)
I already stated that I believe some of the testimonies of miraculous healings. What I don't believe is the prolific exaggerations and hype of the modern P/C movement. I also don't believe in what is commonly called "tongues" in that movement. But here again, your conversation is limited to theory and opinion.

I think that you would agree that the most spiritual among us tends to be fairly dense without an appeal to Scripture. God gave us the Scriptures to teach us how to live godly lives. We know because the Bible tells us that The heart is deceitful above all else, and there is a way which seems right to a person which only ends in death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Correct. I would also point out to all what is seen right here on this thread.

If any speaker speaks of God and the Spirit, yet rarely speaks of Jesus Christ, there is a danger of lapsing into a practical Binity, or even modalism, instead of promoting the Trinity AND the purpose of God in Christ Jesus.

However, in the New Testament (esp. John 14-16, Acts 1:8, 1 John 4:13, 5:7-8), the Holy Spirit's main job is described as bearing witness of Jesus Christ and HE never speaks of Himself which is exactly opposite of what happens in Charismatic services.
If what is occurring is not bearing witness of Jesus Christ, then it is NOT of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think you mean "reprehensible." Again, you assume too much, as I did not "call you lazy" as you say, seeing I definitely said "IF." But then, I suppose you wore the shoe because you thought it fit?

Is this your educated opinion? You have the burden of proof to show this with actual historical data.

Every generation has mostly immature Christians, even the First Century had them, and today is no exception. Walking in the fullness of the Spirit of some does not prove anything concerning your theory about the P/C (modern Pentecostal/Charismatic) movement's claims. Get specific as I have clearly done, or your theory falls flat.

There have been periods of revival throughout history, and we could discuss why the Welsh revival took root. But the teachings of the P/C movement is something different, as we are talking about certain claims such as the authenticity of common practices which are called prophecy, tongues, and interpretation and such. Of these claims, I say come out of natural activity and are not miraculous, whereas the Biblical gifts were miraculous. I keep saying you have the burden of proof to show that those activities are the same as described in the scripture. I think I clearly showed they are not. So do you want to discuss the real issue here, or do you want to evade it?

Spurgeon is well-respected in the Christian community, and I do consider him well-gifted. However, it doesn't support the P/C movement's claims. You have the burden of proof to get specific on what gifts you are talking about.

You have the burden of proof to show this by specific data. If you don't bring the historical proof to the table, then it's just your opinion.

What? Do I see you now changing your tune? Are you now acknowledging that the vast majority of P/C activities regarding these gifts are not the same as described in the NT? That the P/C claims really are false concerning what they commonly practice?

No, this is a false premise. The Holy Spirit is still at work. What has diminished to almost no activity is the working of miracles which are mostly the sign gifts. Miracles are in no wise as common as the P/C movement claims. The main activity of the Holy Spirit is to regenerate and sanctify the saints. It is only occasional that God decides to miraculously heal someone or perform a miraculous act for someone.

But we are talking about the specific gifts of the Spirit listed in 1 Cor. 12. I think I sufficiently proved that those gifts were miraculous in nature (but I could go further if needed). I also laid claim that those gifts were given to individuals who could exercise them at their discretion, which I'm certain can be shown by Biblical exegesis (and I could do this if needed). I also laid claim that the so-called gifts commonly practiced in the P/C movement are not miraculous in nature, but are activities taken out of natural phenomenon and imagination, much like what is done by modern psychics and other religions. We could discuss this also if necessary. However, I see that you might be starting to acknowledge this by your comment above.

God will give wisdom if you ask for it, but you must ask in faith. Furthermore, God will grant what we ask if it is in accordance with His will. You will see that I am in agreement with you in this matter, if you are familiar enough with scripture to note that my two statements have direct reference to scripture.

Nevertheless, as I said before, the miraculous gifts of the Spirit listed in 1 Cor. 12 are not what is commonly practiced in the P/C movement today. Furthermore, the Holy Spirit will bring gifts to people according to HIS will, not according to the P/C movement's agenda.

The gifts that people HAVE today that are commonly practiced in the churches are such as mercy, administration, preaching, evangelism, and other such gifts that are associated with the providence of God. IOW, inspired of God, but not in the miraculous category.

How can you be certain that the devil did not invent the doctrines of the modern P/C movement? If what they commonly practice is claimed to be the miraculous gifts of the Spirit listed in 1 Cor. 12, but in fact are not, then someone is deceived and under the devil's spell.

Actually, I never claimed that the gifts of the Holy Spirit have ceased. I think you assumed it because I question the authenticity of the P/C claims. What I did claim is that those specific miraculous gifts listed in 1 Cor. 12, which the people who HAD them could exercise at their discretion, were gifts not in operation today, at least not the way that the P/C movement claims. At least I don't see that they are, but the P/C claim that they are and in common use is a false claim. If you want to hang the label of cessationist on me, then go right ahead. I don't consider myself in that camp, but I do see that it is your judgment of me.

But I also think that my words in this post do indeed prove that the modern P/C movement's claims about those gifts, and about tongues in particular, and all that is associated with it, are false. We could discuss this further, if necessary.

This took a lot of time and effort to do. May the Lord bless you for your effort to help another believer understand the Scriptures correctly.

• Friendly
Reactions: tdidymas
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think that you would agree that the most spiritual among us tends to be fairly dense without an appeal to Scripture. God gave us the Scriptures to teach us how to live godly lives. We know because the Bible tells us that The heart is deceitful above all else, and there is a way which seems right to a person which only ends in death.
The "most spiritual"? Is this a facetious expression?
TD:scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there is a lot wrong with the P/C movement, and I don't think I would go back there even if there were signs and wonders. I wouldn't go so far to say that they aren't saved, though, since they do seem to accept the major doctrines of the NT much like the RCC. In every church since the 1st century there have been both true and false believers. Such are evaluated by their deeds when we see what they do, but in here we evaluate doctrine.
My biggest problem is not with the laity, but with the WoF pastors and teachers who are leading the flock astray with their heresies and error filled teachings!

• Agree
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes it does and it always amazes me that when this is discussed with anyone who wants to do tongues and miracles and words of knowledge, they always seem to conveniently ignore that Scripture.
That Book was recorded down within the Times of the Apostles themselves, so we see back then that God was already starting to cease operating in certain fashions then He had earlier at time of Acts!

• Agree
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And God will not
Correct. I would also point out to all what is seen right here on this thread.

If any speaker speaks of God and the Spirit, yet rarely speaks of Jesus Christ, there is a danger of lapsing into a practical Binity, or even modalism, instead of promoting the Trinity AND the purpose of God in Christ Jesus.

However, in the New Testament (esp. John 14-16, Acts 1:8, 1 John 4:13, 5:7-8), the Holy Spirit's main job is described as bearing witness of Jesus Christ and HE never speaks of Himself which is exactly opposite of what happens in Charismatic services.
If what is occurring is not bearing witness of Jesus Christ, then it is NOT of the Spirit.
Go d will not share His glory with any person, and much of what is promoted in charismatic churches is how great and gifted the prophet and Apostle of the Lord is!

• Agree
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My biggest problem is not with the laity, but with the WoF pastors and teachers who are leading the flock astray with their heresies and error filled teachings!
I've seen plenty - like leader, like disciple.

• Agree
Upvote 0