What is the closest thing around you game....

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The closest site operated by the National Park Service is the Herbert Hoover National Historic Site. Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, although not a National Park, is essentially the same as a National Park. The closest actual National Park would probably be Yellowstone.

Closest state historic site?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
closest BIG Christmas tree put up by a city?

That would be in Rockefeller Center in New York City.

The closest site operated by the National Park Service is the Herbert Hoover National Historic Site. Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, although not a National Park, is essentially the same as a National Park. The closest actual National Park would probably be Yellowstone.
I looked at a map. This is an utterly confusing set of facts. I think you're trying to conceal your location. :D (just kidding)

Closest state historic site?

Well the Alamo immediately popped into my mind, but upon checking I discovered that about a mile closer to me is the Alexander Hart Halff House. Haven't a clue. Never heard of it before today. I can't find out why it's historic. The internet says it was damaged by fire in 1984 and reconstructed by the Guido Brothers.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I looked at a map. This is an utterly confusing set of facts. I think you're trying to conceal your location. :D (just kidding)

Well the Alamo immediately popped into my mind, but upon checking I discovered that about a mile closer to me is the Alexander Hart Halff House. Haven't a clue. Never heard of it before today. I can't find out why it's historic. The internet says it was damaged by fire in 1984 and reconstructed by the Guido Brothers.

Here, I hope you find this helpful - Alexander and Alma Oppenheimer Halff House - Texas Historical Markers (weebly.com) Part of its significance comes from its architect, Atlee B. Ayres, who is actually known outside of Texas and even had a biography written about him.

Although the house is a Texas Landmark, it is not a state historic site (there is a difference). You were correct with your first hunch. The Alamo is the closest state historic site for you.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Here, I hope you find this helpful - Alexander and Alma Oppenheimer Halff House - Texas Historical Markers (weebly.com) Part of its significance comes from its architect, Atlee B. Ayres, who is actually known outside of Texas and even had a biography written about him.

Although the house is a Texas Landmark, it is not a state historic site (there is a difference). You were correct with your first hunch. The Alamo is the closest state historic site for you.
Apparently you're correct. I was going by Google maps which told me it was a historic site. Yes I saw that page and a few others before posting. Still not sure why it's historic. What's actually closer to me is the wooden bench into which Johnny Cash carved "Johnny loves Vivian". No one's heard of Atlee B. Ayres, everyone's heard of Johnny Cash. I guess history's in the eye of the beholder.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Apparently you're correct. I was going by Google maps which told me it was a historic site. Yes I saw that page and a few others before posting. Still not sure why it's historic. What's actually closer to me is the wooden bench into which Johnny Cash carved "Johnny loves Vivian". No one's heard of Atlee B. Ayres, everyone's heard of Johnny Cash. I guess history's in the eye of the beholder.

Its significance is not so much about the people or the history, but the architectural design and the fact that it is quite intact. One can have a historic site without any structure, but without a physical context it becomes rather meaningless. Thus, a bronze plaque on Wall Street denoting a Colonial burial ground really doesn't impress most folks like the Federal Reserve bank there does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.