Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Firstly, the question I asked is rhetorical.... How is it possible to ask for something you are oblivious to?

For us to ask for forgiveness we must confess them first.. A child is incapable of doing either.

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).
It seems to be your way of doing theology that you take a gospel passage, like the one above, and turn it inside out so that it becomes law.

1 John 1:9 does NOT say "Unless we confess our sins, he is not faithful to forgive us our sins, or to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Confession of sins is not a prerequisite for forgiveness. This passage is a promise, not a threat.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Which third party? The party of the body of Christ on earth? The party charged by Our Lord with making disciples by baptizing and teaching? The party charged with preaching the Gospel to all the world? Are you referring, perhaps, to the Church of Jesus Christ?
The third party of the parents.

I already gave you the scenario of a child that is born to a family that does not believe...They do not get their child baptized.... the child dies of crib death.....

What happens to the soul of this child?

A family is devout and baptizes the baby at one month of age. The child dies of crib death at one year of age....

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The third party of the parents.

I already gave you the scenario of a child that is born to a family that does not believe...They do not get their child baptized.... the child dies of crib death.....

Can't say with absolute certainty. It appears from scripture that children are conceived in sin, separated from God, naturally fated for condemnation.

There is a possibility, however, that God could have acted in some way to grant saving faith to any specific infant and thereby they could be saved. There is also a possibility that God could save any specific infant that he pleases. Like I said, we can't say for certain.

If it were my child, I would not rely on perhaps or maybe.

A family is devout and baptizes the baby at one month of age. The child dies of crib death at one year of age....

They can have every reason to trust that God will fulfill his sure and certain promises made to the baptized child.

Also, since you referred before to the faith of others, what do you do with the passages relating the story of the paralytic whose friends lowered him through the roof ? (Luke 5, Mark 2) It certainly looks from the text that Jesus forgave the man's sins because of THEIR faith.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We are born in a fallen state, a sinful state. We don't have to sin to be sinners. Actual sin is merely the rotten fruit of our natural state. Eventually it comes out.

Theologians have long used the latin phrase incurvatus in se to describe man's natural state. It is fallen man's nature to be curved in upon himself. From the moment we are conceived we are only concerned about our own needs, our own perceptions, our own desires. From the moment we encounter the outside world, we demand attention, demand to be fed, demand to be held.

These are basic human needs, and we can hardly be blamed for giving voice to them, but we are unconcerned and unaware of the burdens we place on our poor, weary parents. Our needs are all we are concerned about, all we are aware of, all we care about. As we develop through the various stages of life, this condition shows itself in different, age appropriate ways. Suffice to say that the condition which leads a toddler to throw a temper tantrum is the same condition that leads a teenager to press his girlfriend for the opportunity to go just to that next base, the young father to stretch the truth or conveniently forget the facts when it means he can make his quota for the month, or the condition that leads the elder to make just a couple of adjustments on their income statement so that they can qualify for better health insurance coverage.

If we think of our sinfulness as our fallen nature it becomes easier to see how it is not our individual sins alone for which Christ died, but for a state of being that according to St Paul is integral to our fleshly bodies that we have inherited from our first father Adam.

And our natural state is due to the Fall, but then we are reborn in Spirit (John 3) and are changed and thus created as a new creature. Would you agree with that?

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It seems to be your way of doing theology that you take a gospel passage, like the one above, and turn it inside out so that it becomes law.

1 John 1:9 does NOT say "Unless we confess our sins, he is not faithful to forgive us our sins, or to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Confession of sins is not a prerequisite for forgiveness. This passage is a promise, not a threat.
Acts 3: 17 to 19 is a sermon that teaches salvation, forgiveness of sins and the necessity of repentance of sins as a prerequisite....

There is no mention of baptism as a necessity.

And now, brethren, I know that you acted in ignorance, just as your rulers did also. 18 But the things which God announced beforehand by the mouth of all the prophets, that His Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled. 19 Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord;

Here is a passage where Paul makes it very clear that Baptism is not necessary:

1 Corinthians 1:17King James Version (KJV)

17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

The woman who washed Jesus feet had all her sins forgiven. It is clear that she was not baptized but Christ says to her: Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace. (Luke 7:37-50),

Here, again, people saved by faith but no baptism:

Matthew 9:2King James Version (KJV)

2 And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.

The Publican in Luke 18:13-14, Justified with no baptism...also, the most obvious, the thief on the cross.

I have never seen anything in scripture that shows or tells of one of the apostles being baptized either. Christ does say:

John 15:2-4King James Version (KJV)
2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

No mention of their baptism in their being cleaned through the word spoken to them.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Can't say with absolute certainty. It appears from scripture that children are conceived in sin, separated from God, naturally fated for condemnation.

Thank you for that honest answer.

If we can agree to disagree..... I totally and unequivocally hold to the view that any human that does not have the mental capacity to understand sin and salvation.... will not be held accountable for the fact that they are sinful.

To hold to the view that people, whether infant, young children or adults, who are mentally incapable of the concepts of the gospel, sin or right and wrong, are at the mercy or chance happening that they are known by someone who will take the initiative to get them baptized...or be fated to condemnation..... does not fit the character of what I believe is our Lord and Savior.

Not to mention that there are no scriptures in all the gospel that indicate that we should insure that we baptize our infants and infirm.

Also, since you referred before to the faith of others, what do you do with the passages relating the story of the paralytic whose friends lowered him through the roof ? (Luke 5, Mark 2) It certainly looks from the text that Jesus forgave the man's sins because of THEIR faith.

I suppose I should assume that you do not include the paralytic in the ones collectively indicated by "THEIR" ?

I, on the other hand presume that the man with the palsy was all for it and had faith as well..

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And our natural state is due to the Fall, but then we are reborn in Spirit (John 3) and are changed and thus created as a new creature. Would you agree with that?
When we are reborn we are given a new nature, the mind of Christ, as Paul calls it. That doesn't mean that the old nature is gone. Romans 7 speaks specifically about all of this.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
When we are reborn we are given a new nature, the mind of Christ, as Paul calls it. That doesn't mean that the old nature is gone. Romans 7 speaks specifically about all of this.

War of flesh and spirit...yep, got it.

Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for that honest answer.
All my other answers were honest too. ;)

If we can agree to disagree..... I totally and unequivocally hold to the view that any human that does not have the mental capacity to understand sin and salvation.... will not be held accountable for the fact that they are sinful.
I understand your sentiment. I hope with all my heart that this is true. But I just don't see it in scripture. Please make your best scriptural case for me.

To hold to the view that people, whether infant, young children or adults, who are mentally incapable of the concepts of the gospel, sin or right and wrong, are at the mercy or chance happening that they are known by someone who will take the initiative to get them baptized...or be fated to condemnation..... does not fit the character of what I believe is our Lord and Savior.
Who are we to stand in judgment of God? His ways are not our ways, his thoughts are not our thoughts. Again, we can't make doctrine up according to how we feel. We must have a scriptural basis for what we believe, and we must accept what God has revealed to us as truth, whether we like it or not.

And I did NOT say that God could not save them through some other means, perhaps known only to himself. But for the comfort of all who love these little ones, why not use the means God has explicitly give us for this purpose? It's like the guy who refused to be rescued by three different boats passing by because he insisted that God was going to rescue him! God could directly rescue him, but why refuse all the other sure and certain opportunities available for his rescue?

Not to mention that there are no scriptures in all the gospel that indicate that we should insure that we baptize our infants and infirm.
There are also no scriptures that state that we should baptize any other particular group: Redheads? No. Southpaws? No. People over the age of 80? No. People under the age of 80? No.

You're looking for specific instructions for specific groups when God has already given his promises to all people. Why split hairs when God wants to save the entire head?

I suppose I should assume that you do not include the paralytic in the ones collectively indicated by "THEIR" ?

I, on the other hand presume that the man with the palsy was all for it and had faith as well..
I don't see any reason to exclude the paralytic himself, yet scripture specifically records that Jesus took into consideration the faith of more than just the man himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There is no mention of baptism as a necessity.
Because according to scripture, baptism is a means of salvation, not a requirement for salvation. Plenty of other passages do explicitly mention baptism. Are they wrong? Does every passage need to be read as an exhaustive list?

And just because Paul says he's glad he didn't baptize very many of this motley mess of mischievous muttons, he explicitly says that he did in fact baptize some of them personally, and it's not like others were not on hand to do the baptizing even though Paul declined to do so. This is a terrible argument against baptism!

This passage is about cliques and pride and divisions and discord, not about baptism!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
All my other answers were honest too. ;)

I understand your sentiment. I hope with all my heart that this is true. But I just don't see it in scripture. Please make your best scriptural case for me.

Who are we to stand in judgment of God? His ways are not our ways, his thoughts are not our thoughts. Again, we can't make doctrine up according to how we feel. We must have a scriptural basis for what we believe, and we must accept what God has revealed to us as truth, whether we like it or not.

And I did NOT say that God could not save them through some other means, perhaps known only to himself. But for the comfort of all who love these little ones, why not use the means God has explicitly give us for this purpose? It's like the guy who refused to be rescued by three different boats passing by because he insisted that God was going to rescue him! God could directly rescue him, but why refuse all the other sure and certain opportunities available for his rescue?

There are also no scriptures that state that we should baptize any other particular group: Redheads? No. Southpaws? No. People over the age of 80? No. People under the age of 80? No.

You're looking for specific instructions for specific groups when God has already given his promises to all people. Why split hairs when God wants to save the entire head?

I don't see any reason to exclude the paralytic himself, yet scripture specifically records that Jesus took into consideration the faith of more than just the man himself.
Well, I have given you scripture that shows that King David was rejoicing that his son was now with God and that he would some day see him again..

Maybe you can show me scripture that indicates something to the contrary. Something other than "we have all sinned so we all need to repent and this includes infants and mentally deficient individuals"

There is also no scripture telling us to baptize infants or mentally deficient. Any scripture that speaks of salvation and the way to attain it, speaks of believing and having faith.. I would argue that all babies believe and have faith that they are being cared for and someone will come when they cry....So therefore, they have belief and faith....

Is this belief and faith in Christ? How could it be? But they have a faith in something.

Anyway, Davids son is with God. This is the only scripture, that I know of that deals with this issue..

Please show me any scripture that would indicate that our savior, who is the personification of love itself, would condemn a child or mentally deficient person, to an eternal torment, when they cannot even be accountable for anything they do.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Because according to scripture, baptism is a means of salvation, not a requirement for salvation. Plenty of other passages do explicitly mention baptism. Are they wrong? Does every passage need to be read as an exhaustive list?

And just because Paul says he's glad he didn't baptize very many of this motley mess of mischievous muttons, he explicitly says that he did in fact baptize some of them personally, and it's not like others were not on hand to do the baptizing even though Paul declined to do so. This is a terrible argument against baptism!

This passage is about cliques and pride and divisions and discord, not about baptism!
But, no indication or any scripture that applies to the necessity of infants and mentally deficient to be baptized or repent or confess anything.

If Christ loved the little children, like the Sunday school song says, and He even said "suffer the little children to come unto Me".... Do you not think that the scriptures would be sure and clear of the necessity of procedure or action that should be done to bring these precious beings into heaven?

Also, I will state this one more time..... I, myself, and nobody but me, is responsible for my soul and the eternal fate of my soul. I must make the choice. I must believe. I must accept Christ. I must repent. I must be the one who has faith for my own soul.... nobody else...

How then can an infant be dependent on someone else for their eternal home.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
@JacksBratt

I'm willing to continue our conversation but I would like assurances from you that you are actually reading my posts and considering what I say.

I have already answered the same questions several times.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, I have given you scripture that shows that King David was rejoicing that his son was now with God and that he would some day see him again..
As I said earlier, David was speaking only about his son, not children in general. Also, there is every reason to believe that David had been praying over his ailing child, that he had been speaking the word of God in the presence of the child.

In David's time, even as now, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word. The Holy Spirit works through the word to create faith when and where he pleases. There are good reasons for David's to be confident in the salvation of his son.

Perhaps this would be a good time to go over what may be a new concept for you. A difference in general evangelical theology and Lutheran Reformation theology is that we hold fast to God's promise to work through his external word. Evangelicals typically internalize the work of the Holy Spirit, looking to feelings and emotions for evidence of the Holy Spirit's presence and working. Lutherans are a little more skeptical than that.

We know that feelings and emotions are not dependable guides when it comes to spiritual truths because they are very easily influenced by our sinful nature that persists even after we have been redeemed and justified by God. While we do not discount the possibility that the Holy Spirit may affect us directly in an unmediated way, we also know that practically speaking there is no way to be certain that a feeling, an internal voice or a persistent thought is actually from God.

These could just as easily be our own fallen will producing fallen emotions and desires, we could be mistaking our own inner inner monologue for the voice of God, or we could actually be experiencing a surreptitious attack from the voice of the Enemy who would seek to turn our focus back into ourselves rather than Christ and what he has objectively accomplished for us. Using the standard of whether or not an idea or a voice agrees with scripture can fail us as well because we are certainly capable of misunderstanding what the scriptures have to say or unintentionally skewing our interpretation to favor what our fallen hearts desire. The Enemy also knows the scriptures very well and we know that he can use them in an attempt to mislead us.

Whew! Still with me?

All that to say ... We only trust the external word of God absolutely.

So, we know that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of Christ. That's sure. That's certain. That's a promise. We can take that to our death bed and hold on to it with all our might. Faith may possibly come to us some other way, but we don't have such a clear word in scripture describing any way that faith comes to us other than through the external word.

That's why I've been going on and on about how baptism isn't just water, but water included in God's command (make disciples by baptizing and teaching, repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins, etc) and combined with God's word (washing of water with the word, etc.) and therefore capable of accomplishing God's will to save sinners.

That's also how I can say that we can totally rely on God's promise to save our little ones through the word with the water in Holy Baptism, and also that we can have great hope that our little ones who have been in the presence of God's word and then sadly pass from this life are saved through the same working of the Holy Spirit through the external word.

Lutherans are all about certainty. We want concrete promises from God on which we can hang all our trust, hopes and cares. That's why we baptize our babies, even though we may know that they have been within hearing of the word. As much as we can trust that God saves through faith in Christ, and that faith comes by hearing the word of Christ, we see Holy Baptism as even more certain, since God has made many wonderful, gracious and salvific promises in Holy Scripture specifically to those whom he has baptized.

Sorry to write so much, but I want to be sure you are understanding what I say, because I know it's coming from a different direction that what you have been taught.

Maybe you can show me scripture that indicates something to the contrary. Something other than "we have all sinned so we all need to repent and this includes infants and mentally deficient individuals"
You know all those passages that say that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, etc., and all the ones that say how in Adam all died but in Christ all may have eternal life, etc., and all the ones that talk about how nothing good dwells within our flesh and that sinfulness is bound up in and originates from our natural fleshly bodies? Well none of those say anything like "except for infants and mentally deficient individuals." It doesn't say that because it doesn't mean that. These verses are speaking absolutely, they are laying out dictums that apply to each and every individual human being ever conceived. No specific group is specifically included or excluded because humanity as a whole is who they are talking about.

I could give you all the scripture references if you like, but I think you know which ones I am talking about.

There is also no scripture telling us to baptize infants or mentally deficient.
See above.
Any scripture that speaks of salvation and the way to attain it, speaks of believing and having faith..
Which is no different than what I am saying about baptism, because scripture clearly states that God justifies sinners in baptism, and we know from other places that God justifies sinners by granting them faith in Jesus Christ.
I would argue that all babies believe and have faith that they are being cared for and someone will come when they cry....So therefore, they have belief and faith....
OK, this is new, you haven't said this before. I said something similar, but let's go with this.

All babies certainly can have faith. They can have trust in their parents to care for them and provide for their needs. But is this the kind of faith that saves? All people naturally trust, they believe, they have faith. But what is the object of their faith?

We like to run around saying that we are saved by faith alone. But it is a specific kind of faith that saves. Faith that your mailman will deliver the mail on time will not save you. Faith that your mother will feed you and change your diaper will not save you. Faith must have an object, and it is the object of our faith that determines whether it is saving faith or not.

So we find that in reality it is NOT our faith that saves us. :o What saves us is the works and merits won by Jesus Christ during his earthly ministry -- his perfect obedience to God's perfect Law, his taking all our sins upon himself, his passion and crucifixion, his death and burial, his resurrection and ascension. This is what saves us. And faith that has these works and merits of Christ alone as its object is saving faith.

Is this belief and faith in Christ? How could it be? But they have a faith in something.
So we are on the same page.

I submit that the faith given to anyone through his word in the waters of Baptism, or through the proclamation of his word otherwise, is exactly this saving faith, this trust and reliance upon the works and merits of Christ for their salvation.

Little ones may not know that they have this faith. They may not be able to confess it yet. They may not be able to formulate a coherent thought about anything except their perceived needs to eat and sleep and poop. But that doesn't mean that God has not given it to them. They possess it in the same way as the child and heir of a king possesses the whole kingdom, its lands and properties, its wealth and economy, its culture and people, its status and reputation. All these things belong to the infant prince not because of what he can do, but because of whose son he is. He is the son of the king.

In time, when understanding and ability have increased, a child whom God has brought into his family through baptism will eventually learn to confess the faith God has given him, to choose to believe in Jesus Christ and to be thankful to him for their salvation, at first simply, then later by joining in the full confessional life of the Church of Jesus Christ. The seed of faith in Christ sown in them through the word in their baptism must be nourished by continuing to teach them from the word in appropriate ways as their minds develop. It is by both baptizing and teaching that the Church has been commanded by Our Lord to make disciples.

Anyway, Davids son is with God. This is the only scripture, that I know of that deals with this issue..

Please show me any scripture that would indicate that our savior, who is the personification of love itself, would condemn a child or mentally deficient person, to an eternal torment, when they cannot even be accountable for anything they do.
Well, that's not really my purpose in this discussion. There are many passages in scripture that clearly indicate that some will be saved and some will be lost. Scripture speaks in absolutes without distinguishing certain age groups from one another or specifying certain people who have certain abilities and those who don't.

That's one of the most glaring problems with Decisionist theology. It exceeds scripture by making distinctions and separations that scripture just doesn't make.

It seems pretty clear from scripture that all who die without faith in Jesus Christ will perish eternally and those who die in Christ will enter eternal life in the presence of God.

It also seems pretty clear from scripture that the natural state of mankind, apart from the saving action of God, is to be hostile to God, unable to even comprehend spiritual truths, separated from God, self-justifying, self-focused, self-absorbed. Natural man looks to justify himself through good works, however he may seek to define them. One person's virtue is another man's vice. Some seek to save themselves through power and glory, others through ascetic self-sacrifice and self-denial. Some seek to save themselves through knowledge and wisdom, others through mysticism and by seeking an unmediated experience of the divine.

Outside of Christ there is no salvation. By grace we have been saved through faith, and this not of ourselves, it is the gift of God, and not by works so that no one may boast.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
As I said earlier, David was speaking only about his son, not children in general. Also, there is every reason to believe that David had been praying over his ailing child, that he had been speaking the word of God in the presence of the child.

In David's time, even as now, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word. The Holy Spirit works through the word to create faith when and where he pleases. There are good reasons for David's to be confident in the salvation of his son.

Perhaps this would be a good time to go over what may be a new concept for you. A difference in general evangelical theology and Lutheran Reformation theology is that we hold fast to God's promise to work through his external word. Evangelicals typically internalize the work of the Holy Spirit, looking to feelings and emotions for evidence of the Holy Spirit's presence and working. Lutherans are a little more skeptical than that.

We know that feelings and emotions are not dependable guides when it comes to spiritual truths because they are very easily influenced by our sinful nature that persists even after we have been redeemed and justified by God. While we do not discount the possibility that the Holy Spirit may affect us directly in an unmediated way, we also know that practically speaking there is no way to be certain that a feeling, an internal voice or a persistent thought is actually from God.

These could just as easily be our own fallen will producing fallen emotions and desires, we could be mistaking our own inner inner monologue for the voice of God, or we could actually be experiencing a surreptitious attack from the voice of the Enemy who would seek to turn our focus back into ourselves rather than Christ and what he has objectively accomplished for us. Using the standard of whether or not an idea or a voice agrees with scripture can fail us as well because we are certainly capable of misunderstanding what the scriptures have to say or unintentionally skewing our interpretation to favor what our fallen hearts desire. The Enemy also knows the scriptures very well and we know that he can use them in an attempt to mislead us.

Whew! Still with me?

All that to say ... We only trust the external word of God absolutely.

So, we know that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of Christ. That's sure. That's certain. That's a promise. We can take that to our death bed and hold on to it with all our might. Faith may possibly come to us some other way, but we don't have such a clear word in scripture describing any way that faith comes to us other than through the external word.

That's why I've been going on and on about how baptism isn't just water, but water included in God's command (make disciples by baptizing and teaching, repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins, etc) and combined with God's word (washing of water with the word, etc.) and therefore capable of accomplishing God's will to save sinners.

That's also how I can say that we can totally rely on God's promise to save our little ones through the word with the water in Holy Baptism, and also that we can have great hope that our little ones who have been in the presence of God's word and then sadly pass from this life are saved through the same working of the Holy Spirit through the external word.

Lutherans are all about certainty. We want concrete promises from God on which we can hang all our trust, hopes and cares. That's why we baptize our babies, even though we may know that they have been within hearing of the word. As much as we can trust that God saves through faith in Christ, and that faith comes by hearing the word of Christ, we see Holy Baptism as even more certain, since God has made many wonderful, gracious and salvific promises in Holy Scripture specifically to those whom he has baptized.

Sorry to write so much, but I want to be sure you are understanding what I say, because I know it's coming from a different direction that what you have been taught.

You know all those passages that say that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, etc., and all the ones that say how in Adam all died but in Christ all may have eternal life, etc., and all the ones that talk about how nothing good dwells within our flesh and that sinfulness is bound up in and originates from our natural fleshly bodies? Well none of those say anything like "except for infants and mentally deficient individuals." It doesn't say that because it doesn't mean that. These verses are speaking absolutely, they are laying out dictums that apply to each and every individual human being ever conceived. No specific group is specifically included or excluded because humanity as a whole is who they are talking about.

I could give you all the scripture references if you like, but I think you know which ones I am talking about.

See above.
Which is no different than what I am saying about baptism, because scripture clearly states that God justifies sinners in baptism, and we know from other places that God justifies sinners by granting them faith in Jesus Christ.
OK, this is new, you haven't said this before. I said something similar, but let's go with this.

All babies certainly can have faith. They can have trust in their parents to care for them and provide for their needs. But is this the kind of faith that saves? All people naturally trust, they believe, they have faith. But what is the object of their faith?

We like to run around saying that we are saved by faith alone. But it is a specific kind of faith that saves. Faith that your mailman will deliver the mail on time will not save you. Faith that your mother will feed you and change your diaper will not save you. Faith must have an object, and it is the object of our faith that determines whether it is saving faith or not.

So we find that in reality it is NOT our faith that saves us. :eek: What saves us is the works and merits won by Jesus Christ during his earthly ministry -- his perfect obedience to God's perfect Law, his taking all our sins upon himself, his passion and crucifixion, his death and burial, his resurrection and ascension. This is what saves us. And faith that has these works and merits of Christ alone as its object is saving faith.

So we are on the same page.

I submit that the faith given to anyone through his word in the waters of Baptism, or through the proclamation of his word otherwise, is exactly this saving faith, this trust and reliance upon the works and merits of Christ for their salvation.

Little ones may not know that they have this faith. They may not be able to confess it yet. They may not be able to formulate a coherent thought about anything except their perceived needs to eat and sleep and poop. But that doesn't mean that God has not given it to them. They possess it in the same way as the child and heir of a king possesses the whole kingdom, its lands and properties, its wealth and economy, its culture and people, its status and reputation. All these things belong to the infant prince not because of what he can do, but because of whose son he is. He is the son of the king.

In time, when understanding and ability have increased, a child whom God has brought into his family through baptism will eventually learn to confess the faith God has given him, to choose to believe in Jesus Christ and to be thankful to him for their salvation, at first simply, then later by joining in the full confessional life of the Church of Jesus Christ. The seed of faith in Christ sown in them through the word in their baptism must be nourished by continuing to teach them from the word in appropriate ways as their minds develop. It is by both baptizing and teaching that the Church has been commanded by Our Lord to make disciples.

Well, that's not really my purpose in this discussion. There are many passages in scripture that clearly indicate that some will be saved and some will be lost. Scripture speaks in absolutes without distinguishing certain age groups from one another or specifying certain people who have certain abilities and those who don't.

That's one of the most glaring problems with Decisionist theology. It exceeds scripture by making distinctions and separations that scripture just doesn't make.

It seems pretty clear from scripture that all who die without faith in Jesus Christ will perish eternally and those who die in Christ will enter eternal life in the presence of God.

It also seems pretty clear from scripture that the natural state of mankind, apart from the saving action of God, is to be hostile to God, unable to even comprehend spiritual truths, separated from God, self-justifying, self-focused, self-absorbed. Natural man looks to justify himself through good works, however he may seek to define them. One person's virtue is another man's vice. Some seek to save themselves through power and glory, others through ascetic self-sacrifice and self-denial. Some seek to save themselves through knowledge and wisdom, others through mysticism and by seeking an unmediated experience of the divine.

Outside of Christ there is no salvation. By grace we have been saved through faith, and this not of ourselves, it is the gift of God, and not by works so that no one may boast.
Phewf.... long post...

I'm stuck for time so I will just say I read the first part... David was praying for his son's return to health. It mentions, nowhere, that he was praying for his salvation....

The theme of his prayers was that the child regain health and live. Since God did not grant this to him... the child.... like all children.... is with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Phewf.... long post...

I'm stuck for time so I will just say I read the first part... David was praying for his son's return to health. It mentions, nowhere, that he was praying for his salvation....

The theme of his prayers was that the child regain health and live. Since God did not grant this to him... the child.... like all children.... is with God.
I understand what you're saying. But what I'm saying is that when David was praying, agonizing over his dying infant son, speaking to God about his promises made to his people to be gracious and faithful to them, to hear them when they pray, to have mercy on them and to gather them to himself (of course, we don't know the exact words he used) he was speaking faithful words over his son, speaking God's word over his son.

We believe that God works in a supernatural way through his external word to save sinners, to forgive sins, to justify and sanctify sinners, to grant his Holy Spirit, all these gifts he gives to us through the means of his external word.

This is the reason (even if David wasn't aware of it) that we can say that David was justified in his faith that God would heal his son, and since God saw fit not to heal him, we can say that God in his sovereignty chose to gather this little one to himself.

Where does all this stuff Lutherans believe about God's word come from? Why it's all from the Holy Scriptures. It should be clear from these passages that the Holy Spirit works through the external Word to accomplish His saving purpose.

Matthew 17:5 He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him."

John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

John 15:3-5 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

John 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

Acts 10:44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word.

Romans 1:16-17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, "The righteous shall live by faith."

Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

2 Corinthians 2:14-17 But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things? For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God's word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ.

Galatians 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?

Galatians 3:5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith--

Ephesians 1:13 “In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in who also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.”

James 1:18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

1 Peter 1:23-25 ...since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God; for "All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever." And this word is the good news that was preached to you.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This may sound odd, but I've always felt that for a young person, there was something special about the age of 12. Jairus' daughter, Christ found in the Temple.
This is interesting. Manasseh was 12 when he became King in Jerusalem.

2Ch 33:
1 Manasseh was twelve years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem fifty-five years.
2 He did evil in the eyes of the LORD, following the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had driven out before the Israelites.

Could Isaiah 11 talking about Jesus?

Isaiah 11:6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together
and a little child/lad shall lead them.

Luke 2:
42 and when He became twelve years old, they having gone up to Jerusalem, according to the custom of the feast,
46 And it came to pass, after three days, they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both hearing them and questioning them,
47 and all those hearing Him were astonished at his understanding and answers. [Isaiah 11:6]

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
6 or 7, but as you see, there are two competing answers that people will give to this question.
I would reckon if one can become a king at 7, that could be correct:

2Ch 24:1
Joash was seven years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem forty years.
His mother's name was Zibiah; she was from Beersheba.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I understand what you're saying. But what I'm saying is that when David was praying, agonizing over his dying infant son, speaking to God about his promises made to his people to be gracious and faithful to them, to hear them when they pray, to have mercy on them and to gather them to himself (of course, we don't know the exact words he used) he was speaking faithful words over his son, speaking God's word over his son.

We believe that God works in a supernatural way through his external word to save sinners, to forgive sins, to justify and sanctify sinners, to grant his Holy Spirit, all these gifts he gives to us through the means of his external word.

This is the reason (even if David wasn't aware of it) that we can say that David was justified in his faith that God would heal his son, and since God saw fit not to heal him, we can say that God in his sovereignty chose to gather this little one to himself.

Where does all this stuff Lutherans believe about God's word come from? Why it's all from the Holy Scriptures. It should be clear from these passages that the Holy Spirit works through the external Word to accomplish His saving purpose.

Matthew 17:5 He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him."

John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

John 15:3-5 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

John 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

Acts 10:44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word.

Romans 1:16-17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, "The righteous shall live by faith."

Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

2 Corinthians 2:14-17 But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things? For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God's word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ.

Galatians 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?

Galatians 3:5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith--

Ephesians 1:13 “In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in who also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.”

James 1:18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

1 Peter 1:23-25 ...since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God; for "All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever." And this word is the good news that was preached to you.
Thanks for all that scripture. I have yet, still, to see anything that warns us of the little ones who are unable to save themselves and that we should ensure their salvation by baptizing them. Not one. Not even a hint.

I cannot do anything to save my neighbor, nor my uncle, nor my fellow worker, nor my mother, nor my brother.... I can only save my soul by accepting the free gift of salvation from Christ by believing in Him and His substitutional death on the cross for my sins.

Show me any scripture where one person did something that saved another. Show me any scripture that supports this view that we can "do" something for another person, so they will have salvation.

Show me any scripture that supports the view that we must "do" something for our infants, or they will be damned.

There is none.

Upvote 0