• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is the Age of Accountability?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by jimmyjimmy, Jul 16, 2017.

1. jimmyjimmy

jimmyjimmy Pardoned Rebel Supporter

+5,384
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    How old is a person who is "accountable", if you believe there is such an age.

Also, if a person dies one hour after he reaches this age, whatever it may be, and he is not a Christian, is he condemned?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. HereIStand

HereIStand Regular Member Supporter

+1,325
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Difficult question. We are all accountable from birth, but God grants salvation to those too young (or mentally impaired) to grasp it. Based on this article, "the age of reason and account-ability, according to medieval theology, was seven."

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. JESUS=G.O.A.T

JESUS=G.O.A.T Well-Known Member

+578
    United States
    Apostolic
    Single
    US-Others
    Accountable in general or just when it comes to like your salvation/relationship with God?

4. jimmyjimmy

+5,384
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Is there a difference?

5. JESUS=G.O.A.T

+578
    United States
    Apostolic
    Single
    US-Others
    IN general= insurance, housing, maybe car payments, phone bills +God/salvation

just God= just God stuff/salvation

so yeah lol

6. jimmyjimmy

+5,384
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Why not just name both, then?

7. JESUS=G.O.A.T

+578
    United States
    Apostolic
    Single
    US-Others
    I was just checking with you since you're the Op. I didn't want to go off topic but I you want both I'll provide answer with both in a sec or my take on it. Just wanted to make sure you weren't looking for something specific

8. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+13,180
    Anglican
    Married
    6 or 7, but as you see, there are two competing answers that people will give to this question.

9. jimmyjimmy

+5,384
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Got it. Thanks.

I'm looking for the God one.

10. jimmyjimmy

+5,384
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Two competing answers?! I'll bet you there are 200 competing answers before long. ;)

11. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie

+1,211
    Christian
    Married
    This may sound odd, but I've always felt that for a young person, there was something special about the age of 12. Jairus' daughter, Christ found in the Temple.

12. jimmyjimmy

+5,384
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Ok. Thanks.

13. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+13,180
    Anglican
    Married
    What I was referring to is 1) the age at which a person is thought to be old enough to sin, i.e. to understand the difference between right and wrong, versus 2) the age at which a person is presumed to be old enough to make an informed decision for Christ. I was referring to the first of these in my reply.

14. jimmyjimmy

+5,384
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I know, and I know. My answer stands.

15. JESUS=G.O.A.T

+578
    United States
    Apostolic
    Single
    US-Others

For the just in general one I would say age 18

Now when it comes to the God one I wouldn't say there's an age at all becuase people learn at different rates. For example My assistant head pastor was talking to me about his daughter and i've met her a few times and she's been going to a private christian school, becuase of this she knows more about God and she is smarter than many girls her age.

When someone knows what it takes to be saved and knows what they must do that's when they are held accountable is my answer. But yeah I listen to a youtuber for example yapa 238 he got saved at the age of 4 years old. When I was a kid I had a sunday school teacher who got saved at the age of 7. I got saved at the age of 17 or so, my point is some learn what it takes at an early age around 7 or so and some don't and some simply aren't the brightest kids at 7 years old, IK I wasn't a bright kid at a young age so I didn't really understand God and all that stuff.

So yeah in conclusion it's when you know lets say you understand enough about God and know what it takes to be saved. For most and for myself that's not until you hit your teens really but as I pointed out for some it's at an early age.

16. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+13,180
    Anglican
    Married
    There are going to be 200 different views expressed about these two versions of the 'age of accountability?'

17. jimmyjimmy

+5,384
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    So, we don't know?

18. jimmyjimmy

+5,384
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Is this your first day on CF? ;)

19. JESUS=G.O.A.T

+578
    United States
    Apostolic
    Single
    US-Others
    Eh you almost have my answer wrapped up.

We don't know when someone will understand God and what it takes to be saved, but once they understand this we then know that they can be held accountable whether that's the age of 7,9,10,12,15,17,14 etc.

20. jimmyjimmy

+5,384
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    OK. So, if an 18 year old dies, we can't assume he is accountable to God for his life ?