• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What is (T)ruth with a Capital "T"..?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Landon Caeli, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli But you can call me Captain Staff Member Trainee Supporter

+3,930
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I was just curious what's meant by "Truth"? Even I've used it in the past, and I don’t even know what it means.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Philip_B

Philip_B grace upon grace Supporter

+5,037
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Truth suggests correlation with reality.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. Landon Caeli

+3,930
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Is there any difference between (t)ruth and (T)ruth..? Or is there no difference?

...I've seen some people capitalize the T... I don't quite understand if that suggests there's two types.

4. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+5,920
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    "I AM the way the Truth and the Life" ....Jesus

5. Ezana

Ezana Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά

+207
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    There's truth, and then there's Truth. The former (as already mentioned) corresponds to reality; the latter is the Reason for this reality's existence.

Or, in another way of putting it, the capitalization in Truth serves to identify truth itself with a Person—the same thing we do with the letters and words we use as names.

Speaking of words, you'll find a similar idea in the beginning of a certain gospel.

6. The Liturgist

The Liturgist Traditional Liturgical Christian

+1,283
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Pontius Pilate famously asked our Lord “What is truth?” (Note @Landon Caeli ,my friend and brother I am not likening you to Pontius Pilate!) Unlike the OP’s sincere question, Pilate asked the question in a rhetorical manner, implying truth did not exist.

The irony was that Pilate was actually unknowingly speaking sarcastically to Truth. Because our Lord, who is the Word of God, the incarnate Logos, meaning Reason, Rationality, Logic, among other things (Logos and Memra are words rich in meaning), declares Himself to be the Way, the Truth and the Light.

7. klutedavid

klutedavid Well-Known Member

+3,638
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Jesus was the ultimate, divine Truth. The way, the TRUTH, and the life.

As for any other definition of truth, that would be a temporary worldly definition of truth.

8. The Liturgist

+1,283
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    That being the Gospel According to John, or St. John the Theologian, as the Eastern Orthodox venerate him, also St. John the Apostle, the Divine, the Evangelist and the Beloved Disciple. St. John the Theologians is one of only three people venerated as theologians in the Eastern Orthodox Church, the others being St. Gregory Nazianzus, and St. Symeon the New Theologian.

9. The Liturgist

+1,283
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Lower case truth means an accurate statement basically, whereas Truth capitalized is Truth incarnate in Jesus Christ. We worship Truth.

10. Landon Caeli

+3,930
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    This is something new to me. I have to admit, I'm still struggling to comprehend. Are you viewing it as Jesus' other name? Or is it a "concept"..?

11. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+2,218
    Catholic
    Married
    I believe it to mean those “bigger” things, the answers to critical questions we can’t answer on our own, without divine help. They are wrapped up exhaustively in the person of Jesus Christ who Himself is the one Truth, and who reveals it.

12. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+2,496
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    It's hard to know what people mean when they capitalize truth. Presumably they are intending "Truth" to have some sort of existential import that informs their life in a special way. The most technical account I could give would be the Heideggarian reappropriation of the Greek word Aletheia.

13. Soyeong

Soyeong Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,716
    Messianic
    Single
    God's nature is Truth. The Bible often uses the same terms to describe the nature of God as it does to describe the nature of the Mosaic Law, so the Mosaic Law is truth because it is God's instructions for how to express His nature (Psalms 119:142). Jesus is the exact expression of God's nature (Hebrews 1:3), so he is the truth made flesh and he showed the nature of the Father through his works in sinless obedience to the Mosaic Law, which is why he could say everything that he did in John 14:6-11. In Ezekiel 36:26-27, the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey the Mosaic Law, in John 16:13, the Spirit has the role of leading us in truth, and again the Mosaic Law is truth. In John 8:31-36, it is sin in transgression of the Mosaic Law that puts us in bondage while it is the truth that sets us free. In John 17:17, God’s word is truth, and the Mosaic Law is God’s word. In 2 Timothy 3:8, those who oppose the truth also oppose Moses, being of corrupted minds, and disqualified in regard to the faith. In Romans 8:4-7, those who walk in the Spirit are contrasted with those who have minds set on the flesh who refuse to submit to God's law. In Galatians 5:19-22, everything listed as works of the flesh that are against the Spirit are also against the Mosaic Law, while all of the fruits of the Spirit are aspects of God's nature that are in accordance with it.